2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

My new pair of polished Ping BeCu's... (pics)

Found something else on Ebay I couldn't say no to recentlyrolleyes.gif

The seller (heinenkugels) was nice enough to cut both to 34.25" and put Pingman grips on.

I got Ping WRX head covers for both.

Any suggestions on how to keep them polished like this?

I got a Dremel and polishing kits, just don't know much about BeCu.

6778889793_b7dd3877c3_o.jpg

6778890115_642762ec1a_o.jpg

6778890597_2d1e34168c_o.jpg

-Dan

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the health concern related comment. I have read that Beryllium can be dangerous and is not used as much for this reason as in the past. I also heard that it was the melting, processing, and such of Beryllium that was most dangerous. Your suggestion lead me to search online and revealed the main health concern being a respiratory one which stems from folks breathing in high levels of Beryllium dust. Doesn't sound like polishing a Beryllium club will be of concern, but it was interesting reading nonetheless. What I am looking at doing is buffing and polishing these putters in an effort to maintain their current luster.

-Dan

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1327799473' post='4169685']
Use CLR, barkeepers friend, or Naval Jelly when they start getting dingy.
[/quote]

I believe this would be a mistake. I would think that either of those products would dull the shine, although I'm not sure about the naval jelly. They both would remove the tarnish, and quite likely the super shine too boot. Cotton / linen buffing wheel and jeweler's rouge white would do the trick but that might mess up your paint job also.

What the other guy said, spray them with clear.

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Tempted to buff them a bit to finish off the impeccable job already done, then cover them with Frog Lube.

From Lube is the new rave in gun cleaning products. Developed by a former Navy seal, it has many uses, but is known commercially for it's protective properties on firearms. A cleaner, lube, and preservative all in one. Natural materials, non toxic, mint smell, and long lasting. Seals into the micropores of metals, protecting and lubricating them (against other metals). The trick is to heat the metal (blow dryer or sun exposure) before applying the paste. Got a tub of this stuff recently to protect some firearms. Sounds like just the trick for these BeCu putters. Get these putters shining like mirrors (more so) and then keep the air off with Frog Lube.

Good idea about putting a protective layer on. Thanks.

FrogLube_Paste_tub.1__94852_zoom.jpg

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1327800324' post='4169739']
Thanks for the health concern related comment. I have read that Beryllium can be dangerous and is not used as much for this reason as in the past. I also heard that it was the melting, processing, and such of Beryllium that was most dangerous. Your suggestion lead me to search online and revealed the main health concern being a respiratory one which stems from folks breathing in high levels of Beryllium dust. Doesn't sound like polishing a Beryllium club will be of concern, but it was interesting reading nonetheless. What I am looking at doing is buffing and polishing these putters in an effort to maintain their current luster.

-Dan
[/quote]

Umm...buffing/polishing is actually removing material, a very minimal amount but it does remove material. You can obviously do what you want, but why even risk it when it is a clearly defined health hazard?? If you do it, at least do it outside with a respirator on and a fan blowing.

Maybe look into a clear powder coat? I'm not sure how that would affect the shine, thinner coat would be best but you could always buff the PC.

Good points of course. I will use an N95 when I buff them with the Dremel.

After a few coatings of Frog Lube, they should be good to go for many years.

The Frog Lube builds up much like waxing hard wood floors, car paint, etc...

An occasional coating with Frog Lube should keep them tarnish free.

The best and safest way to brighten up a BeCu putter is a quick dip in Tarn-X. The 2nd best is a dip in Coke (or Sam's Choice diet cola if you're cheap....) The Tarn-X works better and faster, really too well if you plan on playing them. The phosphoric acid in the cola works slower so you can get the putter out when it's shiny enough. What you SHOULDN'T do is grind them. Long-term exposure to Be dust can lead to heath problems and you are also removing material from a putter that is probably on the light side already.

Copper tarnishes rather quickly. You can see it start to dull in a couple of days. If you want to keep it really shiny, you're probably going to have to coat it with a thin layer of lacquer like the old BeCu 588 wedges. Keep in mind however, that if you really want to play them and not just show them off, that patina keeps the sun from blinding you, so a little bit of patina is actually desirable. Most collectors prefer if you don't touch it at all and it actually decreases the value of the putter if it has any collectible value.

BeCu is cool. Enjoy your putters.

Very nice. But any purist will tell you not to polish - it removes metal but it also removes the beautiful patina that can only be achieved with ageing. Leave them as they are, keep a head cover on them when not in use, avoid fertilised greens, but most all resist the temptation to polish to a high lustre again. Just a wipe with a dry cloth now and then will do.

Good points Dustdevil and others. I appreciate the input. As for "purist", I am not one. I bought these because they were polished. While I can appreciate the patina on certain putters, I like the bare, exposed, and shiny nature of these BeCu putters. I think the coating, Frog Lube, will be perfect for maintaining the desired level of luster. That is something that needs some consideration perhaps. Maybe I will let them age/patina slightly (to avoid sun glare as suggested), then put the Frog Lube on. I am not after the brown turd look that so many other BeCu putters exhibit. Great ideas here and I appreciate all the input.

As a side note, anyone looking for a Ping BeCu putter, the Ebay seller I listed in the 1st post is top shelf. He sells BeCu Ping putters and irons. Most are in original condition, but he will polish them if desired. Reason I mention him particularly, he seemed to have some mint condition putters which seems fairly rare for older BeCu putters. Most the ones I saw on Ebay looked like someone had beat a tree with them.

-Dan

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1327843855' post='4172093']
Good points Dustdevil and others. I appreciate the input. As for "purist", I am not one. I bought these because they were polished. While I can appreciate the patina on certain putters, I like the bare, exposed, and shiny nature of these BeCu putters. I think the coating, Frog Lube, will be perfect for maintaining the desired level of luster. That is something that needs some consideration perhaps. Maybe I will let them age/patina slightly (to avoid sun glare as suggested), then put the Frog Lube on. I am not after the brown turd look that so many other BeCu putters exhibit. Great ideas here and I appreciate all the input.

As a side note, anyone looking for a Ping BeCu putter, the Ebay seller I listed in the 1st post is top shelf. He sells BeCu Ping putters and irons. Most are in original condition, but he will polish them if desired. Reason I mention him particularly, he seemed to have some mint condition putters which seems fairly rare for older BeCu putters. Most the ones I saw on Ebay looked like someone had beat a tree with them.

-Dan

[/quote]

Another option is to send it back to Ping to have it tumbled. Ping won't grind, drill, mill the face, or add weight to the head, but I believe they will tumble. This will cut the glare somewhat but still give you a non-oxidized look if you can protect it. But if you really like the shiny look, I say go for it. Enjoy the putters. I would try the Tarn-X over polishing if I were restoring one. It can get into cracks and crevices a polishing can't.

I've got a LH BeCu Anser 4 that I threw about 15g of Tungsten down the shaft that I wouldn't trade for all the Camerons in the world. I gave it a quick coke bath to knock off some of the oxidation and then let it age evenly. I love BeCu. The great thing about a BeCu putter besides the look, is that you know it's unique and they will never be made again.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow. These BeCu putters are the bee's knees guys. I own some very high end putters, Yamada's, customs, Scotty's, Betti, etc.. But for what ever the reason, I am sinking everything with this Ping Pal BeCu. Maybe it is the feel of the BeCu. But what ever it is, this thing rocks. I bought it as it was different, a mint condition, polished BeCu, etc.. But this sucker will be getting some bag time. Something about copper I like apparently. The SC tei3's, the Sizemore with copper insert, my newly acquired Palombi copper plate, and now these Ping beauties. Very special feel to copper.

-Dan

I'm so glad you like the putters Dan.... Finally, arrived in today's mail was the BeCu B61 I bought last week and gave it a few stokes on the basement carpet. It may be my new favorite... Since I don't have any golf trips planned this winter, carpet putting will be my way to stay tuned up for this coming Spring...

It's Cold up here in MN. If you're warm where you are - Stay there.

It's Cold up here in MN. If you're warm where you are - Stay there.

I played three Pinehurst area courses last week. Seems it got up to 71 one day.tongue.gif

I feel for you man, winter golf is nothing to take for granted. I spent two years working in NW Alaska and four years on Nantucket. We also spent 3 months in Anchorage last winter. I will never take golf in North Carolina for granted again. ha ha...

Can't wait to get the polished stainless Anser.

Thanks again,

-Dan

Winter golf? They have a Bering Sea Golf Tournament in Nome each March.

They play on this, yep, the ocean freezes solid like 4 feet thick. Lots of vodka involved in this orange ball only eventcheesy.gif

4395260210_bb8c4ba226_b.jpg

Dan-

I have 19 models of Ping BeCu putters, only about 3 more models needed to complete my collection. Of the 19, 2 were cleaned / polished, the rest are au naturale, my preference. They are great pieces of equipment, nice buttery feel. Just ordered a new display rack from Barr at the PGA Merchandise Show and they are gonna look great on it. It will be interesting to see if you decide to acquire more of them. I have a complete list of the models Ping manufacrued, if you are interested. Seems about 50% of those offered on Ebay as BeCu are not really BeCu, but rather Magnesium Bronze.

Tempted to buff them a bit to finish off the impeccable job already done, then cover them with Frog Lube.

From Lube is the new rave in gun cleaning products. Developed by a former Navy seal, it has many uses, but is known commercially for it's protective properties on firearms. A cleaner, lube, and preservative all in one. Natural materials, non toxic, mint smell, and long lasting. Seals into the micropores of metals, protecting and lubricating them (against other metals). The trick is to heat the metal (blow dryer or sun exposure) before applying the paste. Got a tub of this stuff recently to protect some firearms. Sounds like just the trick for these BeCu putters. Get these putters shining like mirrors (more so) and then keep the air off with Frog Lube.

Good idea about putting a protective layer on. Thanks.

FrogLube_Paste_tub.1__94852_zoom.jpg

i use frog lube on my ar15 and it works great!

I have heard nothing but great things about the Frog Lube. A simple paste that seals the metal, keeps air (among other stuff) off the metal, seems perfect for protecting a prized putter. Could do very well on black oxide as well. Might give it a try on one of my older SC tei3's. I hate worrying about water, fertilizer, etc.. with some of my putters. Would be a great way to keep these BeCu's shiny as well.

[quote name='dubbie' timestamp='1328614679' post='4229363']

It will be interesting to see if you decide to acquire more of them.

I have a complete list of the models Ping manufacrued, if you are interested.

[/quote]

I am already looking for another Pal 2. ha ha..

As for the list, would love to see it. Feel free to post it here of course.

-Dan

Kevin is putting his "northern lights" finish on one of my older Scotty Tei3's now. Should be done any day.

Kevin is awesome, but I would never put a plating on the BeCu.

I did buy a mint factory restored Ping Pal 2, just like the one in the first post here, from the same guy today.

Anyone wanting some nice Ping BeCu, he is your guy.

-Dan

great finds, i wish i could keep my BeCu irons that pretty!

9.5* GBB Epic w/ RT Technologies Zeus 75g
16.5* Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 w/ RT Technologies Zeus 85g
20* Itobori Hybrid w/ RT Technologies Midas 98g
Epon AF Tour CB w/ AMT DG X100 4-PW
MannKrafted Custom 51* & 56* w/ AMT DG X100
MannKrafted Yaupon
Vice Force Stand Bag
Vice Pro Plus

Shoot Heinenkugels a PM.

That is his Ebay user ID also.

He posted above and is the guy I bought them from. I got 4 putters from him recently. Top shelf guy.

He refinishes and sells BeCu Ping irons and putters on Ebay.

He could tell you how to care for them and restore them to their former glory.

-Dan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Beryllium is toxic, especially when inhaled. Use only wet compounds or wet sandpaper. I have a polished Ping Pal2, and I used Turtle Wax chrome and metal polish. This product removes oxidation, polishes, and provides some protection against further oxidation. To remove scratches, I use 1500 or 2000 grit automotive sandpaper with water (no dust).

I have tried many different putters over the years, but I keep coming back to the Ping Pal2. It feels more like an extension of my body, and I make more putts.