2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

WHO IS FROM MICHIGAN

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1296134436' post='2928835']
[quote name='TGutHHS' timestamp='1296090902' post='2927820']
[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1296086761' post='2927574']
The "New Groesbeck" is considerably different from the old course. I know they needed to make the changes many years ago to really help with drainage, but It was harder before they shortened up 7, 15, and 18.

It is funny how things change because some of those holes are only a driver and a wedge, but back in High School, it was a solid Driver and 3 Wood.

I would love to play Walnut again. I played there probably 1000 times before I turned 22. Then my parents quit the club and I have not played there since.
[/quote]

My dad is possibly getting a membership to Walnut which would be sweet, unlimited golf with a cart, and I would be able to get a job easy.

Ive been told that groesbecks nines were reversed.
[/quote]

They were reversed. I had to think about the hole numbers when I wrote my post to reflect the new ordering.

When I was growing up, we were members at Walnut and I caddied at Lansing. So I got to play both most weeks!
[/quote]

Yeah, I know holes were shortened, but I didnt think it was 7,15 and 18.. Might be wrong.

Probably wont caddie, lots of possibilities. I might get a job at Pro Golf Discount by the Meridian Mall to.. That would really be a dream of a job, they have regulars who just sit around and have conversations about golf clubs and what not, like an online forum in real life. And they like me (Im a regular) I just gotta get a car then Im going for it

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TGutHHS' timestamp='1296157694' post='2929868']
[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1296134436' post='2928835']
[quote name='TGutHHS' timestamp='1296090902' post='2927820']
[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1296086761' post='2927574']
The "New Groesbeck" is considerably different from the old course. I know they needed to make the changes many years ago to really help with drainage, but It was harder before they shortened up 7, 15, and 18.

It is funny how things change because some of those holes are only a driver and a wedge, but back in High School, it was a solid Driver and 3 Wood.

I would love to play Walnut again. I played there probably 1000 times before I turned 22. Then my parents quit the club and I have not played there since.
[/quote]

My dad is possibly getting a membership to Walnut which would be sweet, unlimited golf with a cart, and I would be able to get a job easy.

Ive been told that groesbecks nines were reversed.
[/quote]

They were reversed. I had to think about the hole numbers when I wrote my post to reflect the new ordering.

When I was growing up, we were members at Walnut and I caddied at Lansing. So I got to play both most weeks!
[/quote]

Yeah, I know holes were shortened, but I didnt think it was 7,15 and 18.. Might be wrong.

Probably wont caddie, lots of possibilities. I might get a job at Pro Golf Discount by the Meridian Mall to.. That would really be a dream of a job, they have regulars who just sit around and have conversations about golf clubs and what not, like an online forum in real life. And they like me (Im a regular) I just gotta get a car then Im going for it
[/quote]

I worked at Pro Golf off and on during college - tell Choma I said hi.

If you cannot get a job at Pro Golf, always try the Okemos Golf Center - a couple of my buddies worked out there back in High School.

Bill Synder owns both pro golfs (or he did at one time). He is usually over on the west side store - might be worth going in and talking to him.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

[quote name='TGutHHS' timestamp='1296187954' post='2931336']
[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1296185035' post='2931173']
I worked at Pro Golf off and on during college - tell Choma I said hi.

[/quote]

Any advice on how to get a job there? And what to expect if it does work out?
[/quote]

Hell, I don't know - I walked in and applied. Knew the basics on club repair and the "fitting" they did there, and was knowledgeable about equipment. Think it helped that I was an ok player...not sure. What to expect? Just a job...

Pretty sure BOB Snyder still owns 'em both - when I was there, he was almost always at the Okemos store, rarely at the west side store. I worked at the west side store (before they moved to their current location). BILL Snyder...is he still coaching @ K-State?

A guy named Chris Mann was the manager of the west side - nice guy, super nice guy. So is Bob, really. Choma is a toolbox to a lot of people, but I really liked him too. Nice memories of that place.

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1296249923' post='2933006']
Hell, I don't know - I walked in and applied. Knew the basics on club repair and the "fitting" they did there, and was knowledgeable about equipment. Think it helped that I was an ok player...not sure. What to expect? Just a job...

Pretty sure BOB Snyder still owns 'em both - when I was there, he was almost always at the Okemos store, rarely at the west side store. I worked at the west side store (before they moved to their current location). BILL Snyder...is he still coaching @ K-State?

A guy named Chris Mann was the manager of the west side - nice guy, super nice guy. So is Bob, really. Choma is a toolbox to a lot of people, but I really liked him too. Nice memories of that place.
[/quote]

If Bob Snyder is a slightly older looking man then I know him, he's at the Okemos one alot. Choma is pretty cool to me, he's related to Dominic Choma who was on the Haslett Golf team with me.

I guess we'll see how it goes, its definately my dream job (for high school and possibly college) just being around golf instead of some fast food burger joint would be nice. And I could probably contribute to this site more, learn how to regrip/reshaft golf clubs which would make my life cheaper and more fun. Sounds all around good. :beach:

[quote name='TGutHHS' timestamp='1296326849' post='2934927']

[/quote]

If Bob Snyder is a slightly older looking man then I know him, he's at the Okemos one alot. Choma is pretty cool to me, he's related to Dominic Choma who was on the Haslett Golf team with me.

I guess we'll see how it goes, its definately my dream job (for high school and possibly college) just being around golf instead of some fast food burger joint would be nice. And I could probably contribute to this site more, learn how to regrip/reshaft golf clubs which would make my life cheaper and more fun. Sounds all around good. :beach:
[/quote]

TGut, everyone probably looks old to you! Don't mind me, I'm just jealous. It was a fun place to work, no doubt - definitely better than a lot of jobs my friends had. Called Bob today - he still works at the Okemos store.

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1296357150' post='2936104']

[/quote]

[/quote]

TGut, everyone probably looks old to you! Don't mind me, I'm just jealous. It was a fun place to work, no doubt - definitely better than a lot of jobs my friends had. Called Bob today - he still works at the Okemos store.
[/quote]

If you ever feel obligated to help out a fellow WRXer I wouldnt mind you putting in a good word. :rolleyes:

[quote name='TGutHHS' timestamp='1296364094' post='2936384']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you ever feel obligated to help out a fellow WRXer I wouldnt mind you putting in a good word. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Tgut, if it would do any good, I would, but I think if you demonstrate to them that you are willing to work hard and that you are knowledgeable about golf equipment and personable and patient (after all, you'll be dealing with, shall we say, golf knowledge-challenged customers, all day) and can do basic repair work (regrip, mostly - lots of stuff is sent over to JP if it's anything more than a cut and glue - sometimes even that), you should be fine. As with any job, it's as much about how you fit in as anything. Besides, if I were to put in a good word, and Bob asked how I knew you, and I just said you were some guy I "met" on golfwrx, that wouldn't mean much. talk Choma up - butter his fat butt up. he likes that.

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1296535069' post='2941919']
[quote name='TGutHHS' timestamp='1296364094' post='2936384']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Tgut, if it would do any good, I would, but I think if you demonstrate to them that you are willing to work hard and that you are knowledgeable about golf equipment and personable and patient (after all, you'll be dealing with, shall we say, golf knowledge-challenged customers, all day) and can do basic repair work (regrip, mostly - lots of stuff is sent over to JP if it's anything more than a cut and glue - sometimes even that), you should be fine. As with any job, it's as much about how you fit in as anything. Besides, if I were to put in a good word, and Bob asked how I knew you, and I just said you were some guy I "met" on golfwrx, that wouldn't mean much. talk Choma up - butter his fat butt up. he likes that.
[/quote]

Yeah, I just gotta take a trip over there and ask them about it for sure. If after that it was kind of working out, Id love to get a good work put in, anything probably helps. I think it's just getting out there.

And btw, the Spartys are kind of ruining my winter right now

A rough year for MSU basketball. At least we had a good football season!

I only got to play in Lansing once last year - at Acers West. I am closer now, so I hope to get back more often to play.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1296608121' post='2944217']
A rough year for MSU basketball. At least we had a good football season!

I only got to play in Lansing once last year - at Acers West. I am closer now, so I hope to get back more often to play.
[/quote]

Indeed it is, Im having a tough time watching lately.

Acres West is a great course, pretty tough to!

Never played it! Only played Eagle Eye and Hawk Hallow over there and Timber Ridge (I think is name). How does it compare.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

TaylorMade Spider Tour Z Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1296608455' post='2944238']
Never played it! Only played Eagle Eye and Hawk Hallow over there and Timber Ridge (I think is name). How does it compare.

[/quote]

Id say it's right between the niceness of Eagle Eye/Hawk Hallow and Timber Ridge.

In my opinion, Eagle Eye is the nicest and best setup and is always the nicest out of those three. Timber Ridge is certainly a good setup and is in good shape, but Eagle Eye and the West course are just better groomed and taken care of.

Acres West is nice, not perfectly groomed and manicured, but still in very very good shape, and seeing as it's about 40$ cheaper then Eagle Eye it's very nice

There are only three courses I will actually play in the Lansing are (not counting that course up in St. John's - besides the 18th hole, it's pretty solid as well), since I don't get back there but once a year:

AKERs West (sorry, guys - was my home course in college - can't stand it being spelled wrong)
Hawk Hollow
Eagle Eye

Although a sentimental round at Groesbeck might not be all bad - once saw a guy make a 3 on 11 followed by a 1 on 12 there in a HS tournament. Eagle Eye, if it was in the Chicago area, would be 2 bills to play - you guys don't know how good you have it!

EDIT: Timber Ridge blows - just not a good layout. I would honestly rather play Akers East than TR...

I have not played Timber in forever, so I am not sure if it is better than it once was. It has to be better than East.

I always forget that Akers is spelled that way. The West course gets a lot of play and they keep it drier. I am not as crazy about the most recent new hole setup.

I have heart for Groesbeck as well....highlight of my career was back-to-back eagles on 4 and 5 (both par 4ths at the time) in a junior tournament. I hit two OB on 6 though! Also home of my personal best 68.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1296699192' post='2947352']
I have not played Timber in forever, so I am not sure if it is better than it once was. It has to be better than East.

I always forget that Akers is spelled that way. The West course gets a lot of play and they keep it drier. I am not as crazy about the most recent new hole setup.

I have heart for Groesbeck as well....highlight of my career was back-to-back eagles on 4 and 5 (both par 4ths at the time) in a junior tournament. I hit two OB on 6 though! Also home of my personal best 68.
[/quote]

Timber is definately above East course, it's in much better shape, but the layout is tough if you're not hitting it straight, trees everywhere.

Groesbeck is the only course Ive shot par on, I like it other then a couple holes that are just stupid, like 6 is a 210 par 3 that has a little tiny green and the grass around it is like rocks, it's just a stupid hole.:russian_roulette:

[quote name='bballchester24' timestamp='1296703339' post='2947598']
Our home course is Quail Ridge, I enjoy Thousand Oaks, Egypt Valley, Pilgrim's Run, Kaufmen GC, out towards Holland Wuskowhan is awesome!!! That's all I can think of right now. Where do you play odshot68?
[/quote]

Never played any of those except Egypt Valley, man o man is that a tough course. Had to play it for High School regionals, having never played it before was an extreme disadvantage, if you were on the wrong part of the green, 2 putting was nearly impossible a couple of times.. Really nice course and I liked it alot, just the kind of course you had to have played before.

[quote name='bballchester24' timestamp='1296703339' post='2947598']
Our home course is Quail Ridge, I enjoy Thousand Oaks, Egypt Valley, Pilgrim's Run, Kaufmen GC, out towards Holland Wuskowhan is awesome!!! That's all I can think of right now. Where do you play odshot68?
[/quote]

Last couple years played at Watermark CC, Sunnybrook CC, and Stonewater CC. Just lost my junior discount and can only play twice a week so can't justify the cost now. This year I am going back to Thornapple Point. They added a new tee at 17 thats another 30 yards farther..It plays over 7100 yards (GAM needs to rate the new tee boxes) now. Egypt is decent, so is Blythefield and Cascade, but the best club in GR is Kent. Wuskowhan blows all of these out of the water though.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

TaylorMade Spider Tour Z Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

I was born and raised in Dertoit, left it for about 17 years - got homesick and came back, I missed the changing seasons. Did I forget to mention that I'd forgotten how cold winter can be? What a kick in the head - what was I thinking... I left California. Seriously though - I really love it here and probably won't ever leave again. I did say probably... :)

Titleist 913D3 7.75* w/RIP Phenom 60 Stiff Flex
Titleist 913F 12.75* w/RIP Phenom 80 Stiff Flex
Titleist 983K 8.5* w/Project X 7C3 Stiff Flex
Callaway FT Tour 18* w/Project X 5.5 Graphite
Titleist 690.MB 2-Pw w/Project X Flighted 6.0
Vokey Spin-Milled - 54/11, 59/06 & 64/07 w/TTS300
Yes! Nicky @ 32" w/UST Freq Filtered Shaft
Yes! Callie-fc Blackout @ 31.5" (Alternate 1)
Odyssey Black Series #1 w/UST Freq. Filtered Shaft
IOmic Grips throughout the bag...

[quote name='TGutHHS' timestamp='1296706649' post='2947766']
Groesbeck is the only course Ive shot par on, I like it other then a couple holes that are just stupid, like 6 is a 210 par 3 that has a little tiny green and the grass around it is like rocks, it's just a stupid hole.:russian_roulette:[/quote]

That used to be #15. That was our home course in High School and we only played 9 hole matches, so the back nine was our home course. So I got to play the stupid hole every single day! The bunker on the right side of the green might as well be a cart-path and then having the tee box and cart-path for the next hole right there as well makes for some interesting bounces.

The next hole (old number 16) used to be a hard driving hole with blind second shot, but now it is a driveable par 4. They moved the tees back on 8 (old 17) so now is a mid to long iron into a green designed for a wedge shot. That is why I really have a hard time with the changes they made to the course because they hurt the good golf holes and left the stupid ones the way they were.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1296755166' post='2948788']
[quote name='TGutHHS' timestamp='1296706649' post='2947766']
Groesbeck is the only course Ive shot par on, I like it other then a couple holes that are just stupid, like 6 is a 210 par 3 that has a little tiny green and the grass around it is like rocks, it's just a stupid hole.:russian_roulette:[/quote]

That used to be #15. That was our home course in High School and we only played 9 hole matches, so the back nine was our home course. So I got to play the stupid hole every single day! The bunker on the right side of the green might as well be a cart-path and then having the tee box and cart-path for the next hole right there as well makes for some interesting bounces.

The next hole (old number 16) used to be a hard driving hole with blind second shot, but now it is a driveable par 4. They moved the tees back on 8 (old 17) so now is a mid to long iron into a green designed for a wedge shot. That is why I really have a hard time with the changes they made to the course because they hurt the good golf holes and left the stupid ones the way they were.
[/quote]

I just putt out of that bunker, theres no sand anyways. I like the hole after that, pretty easy, but lots of trouble Ive seen people get into, but if you place your drive right its an <70 yard shot to a pretty big green. I always wondered why the green on the next hole was so ridiculous and well guarded, a tee movement makes that make much more sense!

I actually like the current back nine, there's not really any stupid holes, and I feel like the grass is in better shape, and there's water and things that make the back more picturesque :D

I am from lansing. And this winter is killing me. Hitting off mats can only take you so far. Wish we had a golf galaxy around here to nip my golf bug.

Titleist tsi3 Diamana tb 60 s pured 

Exotics 3w, Hybrids, most underrated woods around 

Ping i210 w/ Nippons

Cleveland RTX Tour Rack Wedges

Odyssey Tri Hot 5k 

[quote name='4ce of Clubs' timestamp='1297130180' post='2959047']
I am from lansing. And this winter is killing me. Hitting off mats can only take you so far. Wish we had a golf galaxy around here to nip my golf bug.
[/quote]

Just go to the clubmaking forum and you will get lots of ideas to keep your mind and body occupied for the winter.

My whole set is disassembled right now as I am tinkering!

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

[quote name='4ce of Clubs' timestamp='1297130180' post='2959047']
[/quote]

Pro Golf discount guys are nice, not a hugeeee selection of clubs but very friendly people!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1298915784' post='3013481']
[quote name='TGutHHSGolfer' timestamp='1298523397' post='3004524']
Welll the whole pro golf discount job didn't work out, seeing as it CLOSED :cry:
[/quote]

wow, really?
[/quote]

Just spoke to Bob - only closed the Okemos store - West Side still going strong!