2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Heading south

Should I ship or check my clubs
Like a lot of you, we have seen the FEDex commercial for packing and shipping clubs. My airline is going to ding me $50 bucks each way

How much does a typical set of 14 clubs, complete with balls, head covers a pair of shoes and a cart/stand bag weigh?

I can figure out the size box.

So does anyone ship their clubs?
My company has a great corporate rate thru UPS that I can use, so I am strongly considering shipping and insuring big time.

I'm not leaving for a few weeks so I am looking into it now.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Fed Ex in order to see what it would cost me to ship my sticks to Colorado. The shipping was actually reasonable. But the packing was...OUCH!

It would have been $75 each way and I was shipping bag, sticks, and light stuff in the bag like tees and such. I was carrying my shoes and balls in my personal luggage.

But, and this a BIG but...

I use the Club Glove soft bag on the airline. And the bag got the snot beat out of it. I packed towels all around the clubs and they didn't get damaged but it wasn't for a lack of the airline trying. After seeing how scarred up my travel bag was I believe next time, believe it or not, I might just budget the additional $150 to get them back and forth safely. Yes Fed Ex still tosses stuff. (video of Fed Ex guy throwing TV that went viral during Christmas) But the way they pack your sticks there is almost no chance of them getting hurt.

I am telling you my Club Glove bag looked as though it got dragged or something. Incredible....

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

IMO (and I play all over the world) ... don't ship ... take them on the plane.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1329688218' post='4325213']
But the packing was...OUCH!
[/quote]

Wouldn't you be able to reuse the packaging?
Couldn't that be a one time charge, or at least a once-in-a-while charge?
Get them to pack it the first time and bring a roll of tape with you to re-pack. After that you could package them yourself before you leave home with the roll of tape in the box for your destination.

Approximately how much is the shipping only charge?

Ron

At $150 I'd be very tempted, assuming I had an absolutely assured place to have them received and stored for me when they get to the other end. Somewhere in the $150-ish range is about my break point, any less than that and I'd probably ship and more and I'd almost certainly check them as luggage with me. But my trips tend to be relatively short with a very busy schedule so the logistics of the shipping option at the destination end (both when I arrive and when I leave) might be a big deal. It pretty much means no playing golf on the day of arrival or day of departure.

The reason for my post, is I just plunked down almost 2 grand for a golf vacation, we have a connecting flight thru JFK and Atlanta ( don't ask) we are playing the next morning.
Like a lot of folks on this site we have custom clubs that are fitted. I recently experienced lost luggage that took over 3 days to recover, it was properly tagged, it ended up in LA rather than a remote area of oregon where I was staying. I just checked and 2 nd day air UPS will be $32.00 each way based on 40 lbs. i'll ship it down 4 days ahead of time.
The club, kiawah island has agreed to accept them, I'll contact the today to see if they'll put them right inside my condo I am staying in. I'll also print out a return tag home and throw in a roll of packing tape. Ordinarily I would consider shipping if it was direct flight, but with 2 hops the odds are increasing.

The price of shipping clubs and skis or anything extra is getting ridiculous. Worse it is forcing some people to carry on extra rather than checking it. some air lines say they don't charge but they really do in the ticket price.

[quote name='bobfoster' timestamp='1329698827' post='4327029']
IMO (and I play all over the world) ... don't ship ... take them on the plane.
[/quote]

Just don't go through Heathrow if your destination is Edinburgh and you want your checked stuff arrive there with you (we were lucky, ours got there). Heathrow sucks and British Airways sucks. Although, BA actually served a good meal on our flight home, and our checked stuff did arrive with us at Dulles.

[quote name='spitfisher' timestamp='1329745267' post='4330639']. I just checked and 2 nd day air UPS will be $32.00 each way based on 40 lbs. i'll ship it down 4 days ahead of time.
[/quote]

Not to butt in your business but I don't think that UPS quote is correct. Did you put in the dimension of the packed-up and ready to go box that you'll be shipping the club inside? Cross-country shipping for a 40-pound box that size tends to run more then 32 bucks even UPS Ground. Hard to believe they'll do it 2nd-day for less than $50-75, at minimum.

P.S. I see you mentioned getting a corporate rate. That must help a lot, like 20-30% or so.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1329747768' post='4330895']
[quote name='spitfisher' timestamp='1329745267' post='4330639']. I just checked and 2 nd day air UPS will be $32.00 each way based on 40 lbs. i'll ship it down 4 days ahead of time.
[/quote]

Not to butt in your business but I don't think that UPS quote is correct. Did you put in the dimension of the packed-up and ready to go box that you'll be shipping the club inside? Cross-country shipping for a 40-pound box that size tends to run more then 32 bucks even UPS Ground. Hard to believe they'll do it 2nd-day for less than $50-75, at minimum.

P.S. I see you mentioned getting a corporate rate. That must help a lot, like 20-30% or so.
[/quote]

Yes, i figured 40 lbs, but it maybe less. 'other packageing" 52 inches tall x 12 x12" I agree its a sweet deal.

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1329748929' post='4331043']
Get a club glove and take your clubs with you.
[/quote]

I know what a club glove bag is, I know what a travel bag is, I get it. Thank you. :wave:

the point is shipping it directly to the hotel for far less than what the airlines will charge you , at least 100 bucks to ship an extra bag and thats only to the airport. The switching of planes provides further risk of damage, missed flights, delays etc. I have two stops before I reach my final destination, both are busy airports, both require switching planes and one stop is only for 30 minutes. If it was a direct flight..different story.

I am curious to see if others have used a shipping method such as fedex

If you're able to get that favorable a rate, it's hard to say no. The only other necessity is gaining the assistance of the place you're going (and trusting that they'll follow through). At Kiawah I would tend to trust in whatever they say they'll do. Some destinations it would be trickier.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1329766988' post='4333019']
If you're able to get that favorable a rate, it's hard to say no. The only other necessity is gaining the assistance of the place you're going (and trusting that they'll follow through). At Kiawah I would tend to trust in whatever they say they'll do. Some destinations it would be trickier.
[/quote]

yes agreed, They gave me an address to send them, I got the impression this is a regular occurance. I 'll be contacting them to see if they would be willing to put them directly in our room the night before arrival.

[quote name='dalehead' timestamp='1329756521' post='4331889']
So far we've gotten a lot of ideas and opinions.

Could we actually hear from someone who has shipped their clubs via Fed Ex or UPS recently? Not someone who has checked the website or gotten an estimate. Someone who has actually done it.

What did you ship, how much did it cost, how was the service?
[/quote]

I have shipped via UPS multiple times. Ship my Club Glove Last Bag without extra boxing, just enclose the shipping label in a plastic sleeve and attach via a zip tie to one of the zippers. Enclose the return liable all ready to go inside. I do use some bubble wrap and towels to wrap the club heads and portion of the shafts extending above the top of the bag. Cost to ship from Northern Michigan to Pinehurst was $29.00 each way. Cost to Port St Lucie, Fl was $32.00 each way. Cost to Texarkana, Ar. Was $32.00 each way also. I do utilize a corporate account for these prices. Hope this helps

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

Follow up. Shipped regular ground and allowed 4 days. Service is as promised, clubs arrived when they were suspense to. Cannot attest to "handling care" but my club glove seemed no worse for the trip, and realistically, can anything be worse than airline baggage handlers? Will avoid checking with airlines whenever possible.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1330021895' post='4359433']

I have shipped via UPS multiple times. Ship my Club Glove Last Bag without extra boxing, just enclose the shipping label in a plastic sleeve and attach via a zip tie to one of the zippers. Enclose the return liable all ready to go inside. I do use some bubble wrap and towels to wrap the club heads and portion of the shafts extending above the top of the bag. Cost to ship from Northern Michigan to[b][u] Pinehurst[/u][/b] was $29.00 each way. Cost to Port St Lucie, Fl was $32.00 each way. Cost to Texarkana, Ar. Was $32.00 each way also. I do utilize a corporate account for these prices. Hope this helps
[/quote]

How was Pinehurst with handling and holding your clubs until you got there? How was it shipping them back to yourself...did they have a UPS pickup for your clubs from the resort or did you have to drop them off? Just wondering as I may be heading down there soon.

UPS sounds interesting just as a hands free option; however, I have probably logged 150 trips with my clubs, and never had any problem.
That includes a 4 leg trip crossing 2 hemispheres.

In fact, my only problem occured when Delta would not let me on the plane, because I went to the bathroom. My clubs made it despite my best remonstrations.

[quote name='mickw' timestamp='1330152170' post='4372499']
[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1330021895' post='4359433']

I have shipped via UPS multiple times. Ship my Club Glove Last Bag without extra boxing, just enclose the shipping label in a plastic sleeve and attach via a zip tie to one of the zippers. Enclose the return liable all ready to go inside. I do use some bubble wrap and towels to wrap the club heads and portion of the shafts extending above the top of the bag. Cost to ship from Northern Michigan to[b][u] Pinehurst[/u][/b] was $29.00 each way. Cost to Port St Lucie, Fl was $32.00 each way. Cost to Texarkana, Ar. Was $32.00 each way also. I do utilize a corporate account for these prices. Hope this helps
[/quote]

How was Pinehurst with handling and holding your clubs until you got there? How was it shipping them back to yourself...did they have a UPS pickup for your clubs from the resort or did you have to drop them off? Just wondering as I may be heading down there soon.
[/quote]

Alerted the staff at The Carolina when my clubs wound be arriving. When I arrived, the Bell Captain knew exactly where they were stored and delivered them to me inside of 10 minutes. Duked the Bell Captain a ten spot on departure, he contacted UPS and they picked them up at the hotel.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

[quote name='spitfisher' timestamp='1329687532' post='4325149']
Like a lot of you, we have seen the FEDex commercial for packing and shipping clubs. My airline is going to ding me $50 bucks each way

How much does a typical set of 14 clubs, complete with balls, head covers a pair of shoes and a cart/stand bag weigh?

I can figure out the size box.

So does anyone ship their clubs?
My company has a great corporate rate thru UPS that I can use, so I am strongly considering shipping and insuring big time.

I'm not leaving for a few weeks so I am looking into it now.
[/quote]

Shipping is decided "ordinary" in this technological and convenient world....but shipping people and things from place to place is still done the old fashioned way....and in today's economy - fuel is the killer, and the cost is borne by you and me. No simple fixes.

Cheapest way: Carry them on. The risk of loss or damage is very small. Pick a decent airlines (none of them are "good" anymore - they're all like a flying city bus almost) and follow their regulations to a "t". In the worst case scenario rent clubs for a day from the course - it will probably be less than the shipping fees.

If you have a golf course or country club near you - ask them to ship it for you. Our club uses www.ShipSticks.com I have never used this service. Rates seem low "starting from $39". But it looks like it's "golf course to golf course", it might not be "house to golf course" or vice versa.

No longer an easy or convenient decision. :(

Hope you enjoy your trip though - sounds wonderful.

I rencently shipped my clubs back from Phoenix. I live in Chicago, so I did not need my clubs right away. I shipped them through Fed-Ex along with my clothes I brought on the trip. The total for the clubs and one bag of clothes was around $100 dollars. I could have taken them on the plane but it can be a hassle waiting for the bags and the rest. My clubs were in great shape excpt for something that was spilled on my Bag Boy. It took about 5 business days. I just did not want to hassle with checking in both bags and the rest of it.

Another option that could work for some is something like sports express. Their websites quote around $69.00 for shipping one way. They pick up at your door or address you chose and holds it at the location for you. I have not used them yet but I am thinking I might for my South Carolina trip in August. Be sure to schedule early the earlier it is schedule the less it costs.

In the end, I have done both shipped and checked my golf clubs and so far I have not had any problems with either. I am just trying to find a way to get them there safe and for the lowest cost so I can enjoy better course.

• 2 months later...

I'm debating this right now too. Assuming I went with UPS, could someone outline what I'd have to do to actually make the shipment? I get the impression it's not as simple as just the shipping costs. Do I just go to the UPS store? Do they know what to do? Do they package them for me? I don't have a travel case. How much does it cost one way? I'll be flying and it'll be too much to take the clubs on the flight.

On my last trip to a couple of weeks ago to the Kohler Resort in Sheboygan, my wife and I looked into the cost for shipping via UPS or Fed Ex my clubs. It would have run about $60 each way. Where-as on the plane as checked bag, it was free for me (no baggage charge for elites or those with airline credit cards, I'm the former). Even though I flew United Express (small bombadier jet), the clubs were waiting for me when I arrived. No problems at all. And same thing coming back.

I've flown literally hundreds of places and never had an issue. Had them show up in Newark the next day a couple of times but that's Newark. I use an older Club Glove that fits super tight around the heads. And I use one of those poles to protect the driver. I always put towels around the irons and stuff the rest of the club glove with coats, etc. Extra shirts, balls, etc go in somewhere.

I just can't see the paying the extra cost (quite often close to $100 since I don't have any corporate discounts). I've looked and looked and the effort just doesn't seem to justify the extra cost for UPS or FedEx, especially when I add in the extra logistics of getting the clubs to a shipping point and getting them back.

And I've shipped clubs with UPS that got delivered to the wrong address that I had to do traces and call UPS to get them correctly delivered. So I've had just as many delivery problems, if not more, with UPS/FedEx as I've had with the airline (I used Continental - now United). Remains to be seen if UA will work as well in the long term. Short term excellent.

Myron

Went to the UPS store yesterday & asked for the cost: $75 including packing materials. $55 if I boxed it myself. That's each way. Seemed kinda high. I guess I could get a box from a nearby store or something but the stores around here are small & I doubt they have boxes just lying around.