2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Your favourite type of golf course to play?

I've discovered mine...
Living in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, I've played a lot of mountain golf. Of course the scenery is spectacular and the elevation changes can make for some very fun, Golden-Tee like shots. But that's not it.

My family goes down to Palm Springs every winter to visit the folks, so I play a lot of desert golf. Definitely my least favourite type of course, but it gets me through the winter blues. Definitely not it.

Then, I found IT. Last year I took a trip to Bandon Dunes and discovered true links golf. Damn! I love this type of golf course. Such a different game really. It allows for so much creativity in your game, and takes course management to a new level. Coupled with the fact that I'm a natural low-ball hitter, I now can't get enough of links-style golf. Seeing pictures of courses like Whistling Straits just gives me a sense of awe and peace at the same time. I believe it is truly how golf was meant to be played. All of my future golf vacations will involve links golf.

Cobra Speedzone Camo Edition w/ GD Tour AD DI
Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5* w/Diamana Blueboard 63
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 3-PW w/ DG 105

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 60* ES 
PING Cadence TR Ketsch Mid

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Links golf kicks so much tail it's ridiculous. Any game can play them, but like you said...you need to have some shots and you don't always have to hit over stuff to have reasonable chances at the greens. Parkland golf gets really really old sometimes. And resort golf is just plain awful (mostly). Most historians will tell you that golf is meant to played along the ground.

Never played in the desert though...

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1331051607' post='4447859']
Links golf kicks so much tail it's ridiculous. Any game can play them, but like you said...you need to have some shots and you don't always have to hit over stuff to have reasonable chances at the greens. Parkland golf gets really really old sometimes. And resort golf is just plain awful (mostly). Most historians will tell you that golf is meant to played along the ground.

[/quote]

I see you're from Maine. You must have some serious east coast links golf courses there?

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

[quote name='RM Golf' timestamp='1331051995' post='4447919']
I played Bandon twice last year...Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes........best experience in years if not best ever......Multi "Thumbs up"
[/quote]

Awesome! I was lucky enough to play all 4 courses. The greens on Old Mac are so big, that my GIR was 89%. Number of putts though? 43!

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

[quote name='The Sheepdog' timestamp='1331051842' post='4447901']

[/quote]

I see you're from Maine. You must have some serious east coast links golf courses there?
[/quote]

The older ones yes. Sadly there are also many newer resort courses that are okay looking but, they're tight, crowded, lost of OB stakes due to housing, blah blah blah.

Poland Spring Resort is the first resort course built in the USA. That's an Arthur Fenn then D Ross course that's very links-ish. Where I used to live (bar harbor area) had a couple. One 9 hole course in particular on a peninsula in a cove (built in 1927) I'm sure there are other I haven't hit yet, but yeah the older courses are right there.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

links. I play a few of those style courses round here. The obtuse lies require you to have a wide range of shots.
When it gets windy, forget it, you are [i]so[/i] hosed if you don't have the shots for it...

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

[quote name='stevopagolf' timestamp='1331054923' post='4448341']
I like old school traditional parkland style golf courses with tree lined fairways and fast greens--like they built in the 20's - 40's. Think Firestone as an example. I also like true links like you find in Europe and Bandon primarily. Too many farm Links like courses for me--very artificial.
[/quote]

Pretty hard to build true links courses these days, but I agree with you sort of.

Ironically...they built the courses on land that was no good as farm land. Then later they built links-style courses on farmland that was going under (here in the US)

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

I like old school traditional parkland style golf courses with tree lined fairways and fast greens--like they built in the 20's - 40's. Think Firestone as an example. I also like true links like you find in Europe and Bandon primarily. Too many farm Links like courses for me--very artificial.
[/quote]

Ya lots of the "traditionalists" I golf with prefer the parkland courses. It seems like a lot of the PGA Tour events are these style of courses?

I know what you mean about the links courses built on farmland; we call them goat ranches or goat tracks around here.

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

[quote name='The Sheepdog' timestamp='1331058025' post='4448745']
[/quote]

Ya lots of the "traditionalists" I golf with prefer the parkland courses. It seems like a lot of the PGA Tour events are these style of courses?

I know what you mean about the links courses built on farmland; we call them goat ranches or goat tracks around here.
[/quote]

drainage stinks on those courses, beacuse they (farms) were set up to be efficient as far as irrigation is concerned.

Look at what happened to Castle Stuart last year (Scottish Open). It couldn't handle the rain because of where the farm was originally built, and then it was converted to a course.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

I have played a lot of desert golf living in NM and playing a fair amount in Phoenix. I feel like it is easier than a tree lined course or a course with a lot of water. I have made many a birdie from the desert but seldom or never from going into the water. However, I played with a guy from Minnesota last year and he thought playing in the desert was difficult and said I would do well on his home course. I guess it is what you get used to, I just feel like my handicap would probably go up a few strokes on other types of courses, especially, a windy dunes type course. I don't play well on undulated greens, maybe because I don't play them very often but I think it takes more skill that on relatively flat greens. I also don't play wet courses very well. I can get away hitting a little fat on a dry course but a little fat turns into a lot fat on a wet course. Also, Bermuda is tough to chip on if you are not used to it. Also, some grasses create a lot of grain and changes things a lot. I seldom score well on a course I am playing for the first time or two because it takes a while to figure the nuances out.

I will voice a dissenting opinion here.

I enjoy playing all kinds of courses but am happiest on tight, target style courses like TPC Sawgrass and Harbortown. I like narrow, jungle/forest lined fairways, lots of water, and OB everywhere. These courses demand every bit as much creativity as a links course (more in terms of shot shape rather than trajectory) and put much, much, much more pressure on hitting high quality shots every time you swing.

I can keep up with most players on any course but the really tight ones are where I feel I have a real advantage. Besides, I love watching the bombers wilt in the face of a 40 yard wide fairway or a 130 yard shot to an island green.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1331055695' post='4448441']
[/quote]

Pretty hard to build true links courses these days, but I agree with you sort of.

Ironically...they built the courses on land that was no good as farm land. Then later they built links-style courses on farmland that was going under (here in the US)
[/quote]
Let me add any course you can play in less than 4 hours!

[quote name='jholz' timestamp='1331062489' post='4449257']

I enjoy playing all kinds of courses but am happiest on tight, target style courses like TPC Sawgrass and Harbortown. I like narrow, jungle/forest lined fairways, lots of water, and OB everywhere. These courses demand every bit as much creativity as a links course (more in terms of shot shape rather than trajectory) and put much, much, much more pressure on hitting high quality shots every time you swing.

I can keep up with most players on any course but the really tight ones are where I feel I have a real advantage. Besides, I love watching the bombers wilt in the face of a 40 yard wide fairway or a 130 yard shot to an island green.
[/quote]

I can imagine that if you can play on well on those tracks (Sawgrass, Harbortown), you can play well anywhere! I just couldn't believe the shots I was attempting at the Dunes. Shots I would have never attempted without the advice of a caddy. It opened up my eyes to this style of golf and gave me a great appreciation for it. However, I can also appreciate the shotmaking skills it takes to play courses like you're referring to.

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

[quote name='The Sheepdog' timestamp='1331064704' post='4449497']
[quote name='jholz' timestamp='1331062489' post='4449257']

[/quote]

I can imagine that if you can play on well on those tracks (Sawgrass, Harbortown), you can play well anywhere! I just couldn't believe the shots I was attempting at the Dunes. Shots I would have never attempted without the advice of a caddy. It opened up my eyes to this style of golf and gave me a great appreciation for it. However, I can also appreciate the shotmaking skills it takes to play courses like you're referring to.
[/quote]

Oh, if only that were true... Put me on a course over 7200 yards and I can certainly struggle. Those big numbers (i.e. 230 y par 3; 470 y par 4; 600 y par 5) get into my head and I start trying to crank up the power on everything.

I would, however, prefer to play a long Links course over a long Park course any day of the week. Long park courses just seem like a lot of "spray and pray" to me. At least on the Links courses you can hope for some distance help from skillful use of the terrain and the opportunity to roll shots up onto the green.

or
or

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1331067881' post='4449817']
600 yd par 5 for me is Driver, 2h, 2h, chip, putt, putt, putt :lol:
[/quote]

Honestly it isn't the 600 y par 5 that worries me so much, its those freaking 470 y par 4's that kill me. At best, I hope to be hitting 5w on my approach - if its downhill or some wind at the back maybe a 3h or 4i. In any event, its going to be a low percentage shot.

With that impending approach shot in my head, I will invariably stand on the tee box of the 470 y par 4 thinking "man, you are really going to have to smash this one..." and everything goes straight in the toilet. It is such a lovely game.

or
or

I have to admit I love the Hawaiian resort courses, which are often like candy.
Wide fairways, trimmed palms, big greens...the ball sits up like it's on a tee in the fairways...

I just have turrible troubles with the putting of those island greens....whatever the grass is over there.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I've played all over the country, every possible style of course. I prefer links like and desert type courses, where carrying the ball and / or flighting the ball is as important as placing the ball in the right area of the fairway; where fairways have to be read, much like greens. Now, let me clarify enjoyment... its when the golf course demands my attention and shot placement, or else I will pay a dear price. I like to measure up or else; doing so keeps me sharp.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

The layout of the golf course doesn't draw me near as much as the scenery of the golf course. I absolutely love the outdoors and if a course has great scenery (mountains, desert, island, etc..) I fall in love with it.

A design of a golf course though? I really enjoyed playing golf in Arizona. Long fairways, waist areas, beautiful cacti and animals...there was nothing about those courses that I did not enjoy (well, maybe the sign "beware of African Bees").

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

[quote name='The Sheepdog' timestamp='1331051842' post='4447901']

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you are talking about true links courses like Bandon - then there are approx 36 holes of links golf on the east coast of North America

18 holes in Canada http://cabotlinks.com/

9 holer in Truro Mass http://www.truro-ma.gov/html_pages/facilities/golf/golf.php

9 holes out of 18 on Long Island http://www.facebook.com/pages/Maidstone-Club/150450024973992?sk=info

[/quote]

you need a 3 wood to go with that 2H
Then you'd be Driver, 3W, 7i, putt, putt, putt.:ok:

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1331079038' post='4451015']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'd duff the 3w at least twice along the way

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1331080164' post='4451159']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1331079038' post='4451015']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'd duff the 3w at least twice along the way
[/quote]

:cheesy:
And here I thought I could save you a shot or two

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Without doubt links golf is still the best test of golf available. The wind blowing, makes it doubly hard. You have to be able to hit lots of shots and be able to do it with about every club in the bag. Bunkers are a penalty shot and greens although not usually as undulating as other course types are a) usually smooth as silk and b) fast as lightning.(especially if it's down wind!)

Vindog, It was a shame at Castle Stuart last year. It's a fantastic course! But because of the design(Pretty steep slopes around that part), the youthfulness of the course and the amount of rain(Pretty sure it was record rainfall for that time of year since records began) It just gave up into mud slides)

Anyway, off to [url="http://www.leven-links.com/course-guide.php"]Leven Links[/url] tomorrow 5*c, 17mph winds, question is... will i be far enough up to go for 18 in 2!!

It's good living less than an hour from St Andrews and Carnoustie.

If you love links golf you should look in to coming across in September and plan to play the Tassie competition at Carnoustie.
It's a great week of golf, drink and golf talk.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

[quote name='The Sheepdog' timestamp='1331051146' post='4447807']
Living in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, I've played a lot of mountain golf. Of course the scenery is spectacular and the elevation changes can make for some very fun, Golden-Tee like shots. But that's not it.

My family goes down to Palm Springs every winter to visit the folks, so I play a lot of desert golf. Definitely my least favourite type of course, but it gets me through the winter blues. Definitely not it.

Then, I found IT. Last year I took a trip to Bandon Dunes and discovered true links golf. Damn! I love this type of golf course. Such a different game really. It allows for so much creativity in your game, and takes course management to a new level. Coupled with the fact that I'm a natural low-ball hitter, I now can't get enough of links-style golf. Seeing pictures of courses like Whistling Straits just gives me a sense of awe and peace at the same time. I believe it is truly how golf was meant to be played. All of my future golf vacations will involve links golf.
[/quote]

I usually make a couple of trips to Bandon a year. I haven't been in 6 months and I am going through serious withdrawl. I did recently get a puppy though that I named Bandon Pacific Trails Macdonald. Turns out that wasn't such a great idea since now the word "Bandon" has basically become a curse word at my house. Hopefully, that will change when the pup gets older.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M