2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Going to Pebble

cliffhanger

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1332972544' post='4601211']
For those of you going to PB between April 3-10, they have a aeration special going on right now. PB is 410.00 which includes a cart and a 100.00 dollar gift card for pro shop. Spy is 260.00 w/ cart and Spanish is 160.00w/cart.

Spy and Spanish don't come with the gift card at that price. Mention the California special offer. Have fun.
[/quote]

Any idea if cart can be exchanged for caddy? Either way, any discount off the rack rate is a good thing. I just hop they honor this. Everytime I call, they say its at the discretion of the pro shop.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'll second that about the weather - had no idea what to pack for my trip and ended up needing almost all of it - other than raingear.

$260 is a ridiculous rate at SH, thats fantastic. Still think its criminal people take carts though, what a beautiful set of courses to walk.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Did anyone ever confirm if there is another souviner shop in Carmel that sells PB mechandise for less money?

Our tee time is for Monday, so it looks like we might miss the aeriation at Pebble, but that Spyglass rate now makes that a distinct possibilty. For the same money, would you play Spyglass with punched greens or make the drive up to Pasatiempo?

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1333029430' post='4605261']
Did anyone ever confirm if there is another souviner shop in Carmel that sells PB mechandise for less money?

Our tee time is for Monday, so it looks like we might miss the aeriation at Pebble, but that Spyglass rate now makes that a distinct possibilty. For the same money, would you play Spyglass with punched greens or make the drive up to Pasatiempo?
[/quote]

I don't ever remember seeing a Pebble Beach shop in Carmel. If there is one, it's off the main shopping strip. There is a shop on Cannery Row in Monterey a couple of blocks down from the Aquarium.

SIM 9.0 Ventus Blue 7X, SIM 15* Ventus Blue 8X
U500 2i, OT100, P7.MC 3-4, P7.MB 6-P, Modus 120 X
MG2 53, 58 Modus 120 X, Toulon Garage Austin

[quote name='leftypga' timestamp='1333029672' post='4605281']

[/quote]

I don't ever remember seeing a Pebble Beach shop in Carmel. If there is one, it's off the main shopping strip. There is a shop on Cannery Row in Monterey a couple of blocks down from the Aquarium.
[/quote]

Thanks Lefty, I just remember in an earlier thread someone had referenced such a shop in Carmel, and if you've got to bring back hats and such, if they might be a little cheaper, I'm all for it. We're staying in Monterey however, so if there is a shop there that works out that much better for us.

What about the Spyglass or Pasatiempo question Lefty, any opinion?

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1332972544' post='4601211']
For those of you going to PB between April 3-10, they have a aeration special going on right now. PB is 410.00 which includes a cart and a 100.00 dollar gift card for pro shop. Spy is 260.00 w/ cart and Spanish is 160.00w/cart.

Spy and Spanish don't come with the gift card at that price. Mention the California special offer. Have fun.
[/quote]

Thanks. I am going there on April 9 and April 10 so will get ahold of them about this special. How much faith should I put in weather forecasts? I have been watching the 15 day and one day it shows sun for Apr 9/Apr 10, the next day it shows rain, then the next day sun.

Dont put any faith in the weather forecasts until the night before. I literally packed for every type of weather - shorts, pants, rain paints, rain gear, cold weather gear - and used everything but the rain stuff. But I almost needed it. Caddy said it is probably one of the most unpredictable weather climates for golf.

FWIW I watched the 15 day like a hawk and it turned out to be nothing like what was showing up :)

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Pebble Beach is Pebble Beach, so the punched greens wouldn't ruin my day there, but I might think twice about playing Spyglass with punched greens. It's a great course, but there are so many options. Pasatiempo is definitely worth the short drive. The course has so much history, along with some of the best/most challenging greens you will find. For those of us who will never get to play Augusta National, It's a great alternative.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1333032294' post='4605621']
Dont put any faith in the weather forecasts until the night before. I literally packed for every type of weather - shorts, pants, rain paints, rain gear, cold weather gear - and used everything but the rain stuff. But I almost needed it. Caddy said it is probably one of the most unpredictable weather climates for golf.

FWIW I watched the 15 day like a hawk and it turned out to be nothing like what was showing up :)
[/quote]

Thanks. I am going to just book a day and pray to the golf gods for good weather.

Eh, dont sweat it one bit even if you get bad weather - it doesnt change how amazing the course is. The 2nd day I played PB it was in 25-30mph winds all day with higher gusts. Didnt bother me at all - PB is still PB regardless of the weather....

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

It's doable. Pasatiempo is about a 45 min to 1 hour drive away. Lets say you play Pacific Grove at 8:00. Assuming a 4 hour round, you can grab lunch and make it to Pasatiempo by 2:00 That should give you plenty of time. Sun should be setting about 7:30ish.

Ok guys... just a quick post about my recent visit to pebble...

IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What else is there to say. I played Spanish bay on monday and i was very impressed with the course. The winds were up and it was in incedible condition. It played very long with the winds and very tough to hold the greens. There was no aeration at any courses by the 26 and 27 of march. I was very happy with the course. I played like crap but it didnt matter as my son and i had an incredible experience there. As we approacehed the 18th tee there was a bag piper playing behind the main resort where we were staying. I will post some pics later as the days in Anaheim are very busy with disneyland and shopping lol.

Pebble beach golf links...

The course was so amazing... the winds were up but it didnt matter. I will post some pics later as well. the course was in incredible condition and the service as expected was top notch. The views are spectacular and to some it up... a once in a lifetime trip has become planning for another trip next year. We opted for no caddie and our playing partners who were great guys did get a caddie. although i didnt think he was very helpful to those guys. It is my honest opinion that you should be a very good player to get real help from a caddie... several times he was asking them to hit shots that they just couldnt pull off.

The greens are very small and have alot of slope to them. The fairways were fast and balls love to roll to the cliff sides lol. The views were amazing and there was not a bad comment to be made about anything.

It is expensive... It is a hard course... the greens are small and fast... there is alot of water lol... the pro shop has very expensive items in it... but folks .........

IT DOESN'T MATTER..... The course is 1000 times better than my home course that requires 100 bucks to play with a cart. The experience was life changing for me. Everything is better than you think it will be. You will not be let down in any way. Drop the coin and come to Pebble Beach. And the pan cakes at the lodge were simply amazing for breakfast!!!!

I will post some pics later..... oh and holes 6... 7 ... and 8 are the absolute most amazing 3 holes i have ever played. Again i didnt play well but we were enjoying the experience so much that it just didnt matter. i loved the whole experience and i will be returning to Pebble beach ASAP !!!!!

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Callaway Apex UT #3 driving iron with DG mid 115

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

I second the Pasatiempo vote. It's probably one of the most unique courses I have played. I played there in pouring down rain, until I hit my putt on 18, at which point bright sunshine and 70 degrees showed up! That course plays incredibly long for the yardage by the way. I struggled my way around that 6500 yards...felt the same as some 7200 yard courses I've played.

Well we've got it all set now. Leave from Denver at 2:20 tomorrow (three hour drive to get there), fly into San Jose. Drive down and kind of get our bearings and get an idea where everything is.

Sunday: 7:20 and 12:50 at Bayonet and Blackhorse. Looked over the hole by hole description. Right out of the gate we're going to get our butts kicked. A world of difference to what we play on a day to day basis.

Monday: 7:20 Pebble. Still kind of surreal that it's actually going to happen. Our second time is 1:50 at Poppy Hills, we're hoping by being out early, we can still enjoy the round but get done soon enough to enjoy the surrounding and possibly the tap room before we head out for the second round.

Tuesday 7:34 at Pacific Grove. After we've been bludgeoned on the previous four, a little shorter course wil be a welcome site. Then we quickly jump in the car for our final round at Pasatiempo. That way along with our long games in dissaray, our putting can join in after experiencing those greens.

Can't believe the day is finally almost here. Really appreciate all the information and ideas from everyone. I'll try and get pictures and a synopsis of the trip at some point. Probably will take several days just to recover from that much golf

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1333145436' post='4615635']
Well we've got it all set now. Leave from Denver at 2:20 tomorrow (three hour drive to get there), fly into San Jose. Drive down and kind of get our bearings and get an idea where everything is.

Sunday: 7:20 and 12:50 at Bayonet and Blackhorse. Looked over the hole by hole description. Right out of the gate we're going to get our butts kicked. A world of difference to what we play on a day to day basis.

Monday: 7:20 Pebble. Still kind of surreal that it's actually going to happen. Our second time is 1:50 at Poppy Hills, we're hoping by being out early, we can still enjoy the round but get done soon enough to enjoy the surrounding and possibly the tap room before we head out for the second round.

Tuesday 7:34 at Pacific Grove. After we've been bludgeoned on the previous four, a little shorter course wil be a welcome site. Then we quickly jump in the car for our final round at Pasatiempo. That way along with our long games in dissaray, our putting can join in after experiencing those greens.

Can't believe the day is finally almost here. Really appreciate all the information and ideas from everyone. I'll try and get pictures and a synopsis of the trip at some point. Probably will take several days just to recover from that much golf
[/quote]

Holy sh*t. Now that's a golf itinerary right there. HItem well and have a blast!!

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1333146972' post='4615773']

[/quote]

Holy sh*t. Now that's a golf itinerary right there. HItem well and have a blast!!
[/quote]

Thanks Kekoa, you do the same. We know a couple things for sure, we will have a blast and we most likely will hit them often....if at some point we hit some well....then that's a bonus!

[/quote]

I've been meaning to join in on this discussion for a while now, seeing as I was born and raised on CO and now live near Pasatiempo and have played all the courses your talking about. That looks like an awesome itinerary, especially since tomorrow is supposed to be nasty weather, only to get better every day afterwards.

Playing both Bayonet and Black Horse will be a long (fun) day. Both are a** kickers but Bayonet more so...keep it in the short stuff and miss below the hole. Depending on the pin position, some of those greens are just downright unfair. Great courses though that you will have fun on.

I got to play Pebble for my birthday about a month ago (70, sunny, 0 wind...best conditions you could possibly ask for :)) and we teed off at 7:00. We were the second time out, so you should be the 3rd or 4th. If you are lucky, you'll get Allen for a caddy, he was unreal for me and my brother (who shot -2). After a while I basically stopped reading greens and would just wait for him to tell me where to putt it. I made tons of putts and he never missed a read. At that time in the morning, the marshall's will be all over you to keep pace in order to set up the rest of the day, so you should have plenty of time to grab a beer before heading over to Poppy. The tap room is cool, but if the weather is nice take the beers down to the bench's overlooking the ocean near the 18th green. We were basically whale watching after our round.

Poppy is a fun course. Again, keep it in the fairway and you'll be fine. Don't be a hero if you go in the trees (I always try to be the hero and usually regret it), you will hear other people's balls pin-balling through the trees all day long. It is usually in very good shape as well.

I always have a blast at Pac Grove. The back 9 is beautiful and all-around I think it a fun, stress free course (which will be nice after some of the tracks you are playing).

Pasatiempo is awesome. I've been playing a little bit lately because they have very good deals on golfnow. The greens are slightly fungus affected but still play awesome. It's a Mckenzie course, so while it is challenging, it is also very playable. Get a burgerdog with cheese at the turn! Oh, stay below the hole here as well. Don't leave without checking out the view from Hollin's House which is above the practice green.

One more thing, that I'm sure you thought of, count on losing a solid 10-15 yards on every shot down here. The ball doesn't fly nearly as far as it does in CO thin air.

I hope you have a blast! Not sure how you couldn't with that plan. If you need advice or anything else when you here PM me, my brother now lives in Monterey, and I'll be playing down there on Sunday.

[/quote]

Make sure that Pasa isn't punching their greens, but if their not then I would definitely say Pasatiempo. Plus, unless they changed in the last day or two, tee times for Pasa are between 99-150 on Golfnow. It's hard to beat at that price. It's an awesome layout, in great shape and has tons of history. The drive isn't that bad at all. I'd say closer to 40 minute than an hour from monterey.

[quote name='cliffhanger' timestamp='1333127423' post='4613811']

What else is there to say. I played Spanish bay on monday and i was very impressed with the course. The winds were up and it was in incedible condition. It played very long with the winds and very tough to hold the greens. There was no aeration at any courses by the 26 and 27 of march. I was very happy with the course. I played like crap but it didnt matter as my son and i had an incredible experience there. As we approacehed the 18th tee there was a bag piper playing behind the main resort where we were staying. I will post some pics later as the days in Anaheim are very busy with disneyland and shopping lol.

The course was so amazing... the winds were up but it didnt matter. I will post some pics later as well. the course was in incredible condition and the service as expected was top notch. The views are spectacular and to some it up... a once in a lifetime trip has become planning for another trip next year. We opted for no caddie and our playing partners who were great guys did get a caddie. although i didnt think he was very helpful to those guys. It is my honest opinion that you should be a very good player to get real help from a caddie... several times he was asking them to hit shots that they just couldnt pull off.

The greens are very small and have alot of slope to them. The fairways were fast and balls love to roll to the cliff sides lol. The views were amazing and there was not a bad comment to be made about anything.

It is expensive... It is a hard course... the greens are small and fast... there is alot of water lol... the pro shop has very expensive items in it... but folks .........

IT DOESN'T MATTER..... The course is 1000 times better than my home course that requires 100 bucks to play with a cart. The experience was life changing for me. Everything is better than you think it will be. You will not be let down in any way. Drop the coin and come to Pebble Beach. And the pan cakes at the lodge were simply amazing for breakfast!!!!

I will post some pics later..... oh and holes 6... 7 ... and 8 are the absolute most amazing 3 holes i have ever played. Again i didnt play well but we were enjoying the experience so much that it just didnt matter. i loved the whole experience and i will be returning to Pebble beach ASAP !!!!!
[/quote]

Hey Cliffhanger, I forgot to tell you a couple of things. First and foremost, congratulations of what sounds like an absolute great time, and thanks for taking the time to write about it. The other thing is I wanted to aplogize for constantly threadjacking you here. It just seemed like everyone with good information was in here and I couldn't help myself from taking advantage.

[quote name='nfinch10' timestamp='1333152250' post='4616169']

[/quote]

Make sure that Pasa isn't punching their greens, but if their not then I would definitely say Pasatiempo. Plus, unless they changed in the last day or two, tee times for Pasa are between 99-150 on Golfnow. It's hard to beat at that price. It's an awesome layout, in great shape and has tons of history. The drive isn't that bad at all. I'd say closer to 40 minute than an hour from monterey.
[/quote]

Here I go with more threadjacking!

Thanks nfinch. The best I could find at Pasa was $220 + cart, so that's what we ended up with. From what I could tell from their supt's blog, it looks like they did the greens on March 16 (if I read correctly). Where were you from in Colorado?

[/quote]

Sounds like a well planned and exciting trip... Terribly exhausting but you are getting an experience of a lifetime in those three days.

I played black horse last Saturday and even though it was 40 degrees, windy and dumping rain, the greens are surprisingly hard and fast. If possible, make sure to bring some balls you can check or back up cause they are gonna run

Anyway, congrats. Have a great time

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

Black horse and Bayonet : sometimes good discount rates can be found on golfnow.com
Pebble : remember to bring your camera and ask the caddies to take pictures for you folks on most of the holes. (especially the 7th and the 18th)
If you like French food, the 19th club in the lodge will be nice.
Pacific grove : don't be disappointed at front 9, the view will be so much better at the back nine.
Pasatiempo : Be aware of the bunkers, lots of them and the sand is SOFT. The front 9 is easier than the bak nine.
Welcome to California. :welcomeani:

No worries... i just returned home after 2 weeks in california and nevada... what a trip... i am just glad that i was able to get lots of info on pebble and hopefully others can learn as well... wow... Pebble is 1000 times better than i imagined it to be... what else can i say. [quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1333152794' post='4616203']
[quote name='cliffhanger' timestamp='1333127423' post='4613811']

[/quote]

Hey Cliffhanger, I forgot to tell you a couple of things. First and foremost, congratulations of what sounds like an absolute great time, and thanks for taking the time to write about it. The other thing is I wanted to aplogize for constantly threadjacking you here. It just seemed like everyone with good information was in here and I couldn't help myself from taking advantage.
[/quote]

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Callaway Apex UT #3 driving iron with DG mid 115

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

• 2 months later...

Drum Roll Please ..... I know I'll get blasted for this but ... Pebble Beach is basically on the top of everyone's bucket list course but it in truth it's only tough because of the mental build up and the "wallet effect" - Spyglass is much more difficult, more of true test, and more enjoyable. However, Pebble is always in great shape and the experience is something every golfer must have (early morning tee times, starter greetings, views, caddies, tap room etc). I personally wouldn't spend my own money to play it again (Played 5 times on the company's dime).

congrats ! i felt as you did when i knew i would be playing pebble beach, a wonderful experience one can never forget ! take lots of pictures and TAKE YOUR TIME and take everything in, everyone does, its like a 5-6 hour round there even in the weekday with people stopping and taking pictures and even videos ... get a caddie, its one of those once in a life time experience (even though you may return after this visit, you never know haha), enjoy it to the fullest ! its easy to walk so i suggest walking it as well and take it all of it, especially with your son !