2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Shaker Hills faces foreclosure

kmorr2586

[quote name='Dess' timestamp='1342702228' post='5307426']
The appropriate comparison here, imho, is Butter Brook. It gets a healthy level of play and charges $78 on weekends. Match that rate and Shaker will be a must play.
[/quote]

Played there this morning with EACGolferdad. Course is in fantastic shape, greens were in mint shape, just wish they rolled a little quicker.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mugen910' timestamp='1342739064' post='5311610']
Butter Brook is a nice course but I haven't played there in a year even though it's less than 15 min away. I just don't care to pay $78 to play with cart on weekends. I'm a walker and can't afford to pay that much if I want to get in more than 1 round a week. :D
[/quote]

Are you aware they let you walk after 2pm for $55.00?

Sounds like we live pretty close to each other. I am behind the McCarthy School off the drum hill rotary.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

• 4 weeks later...

I heard rumor that they were going to try to open for labor day. That was a few weeks ago. Nothing since.

Taylormade SIM Max 10.5˚ VA VYLYN 65 Four S

Taylormade SIM Max 18˚ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 S

Taylormade SIM Max 22˚ Fujikura Ventus Blue 7 S

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 16˚ UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4

Srixon Zx5 MkII 5-AW  Nippon NS.Pro 950GH Tour S

Titleist Vokey SM8 56.10˚S  |  SM8 60.08˚ M

PXG Spitfire

Maxfli Tour

BBF&Co. TP-9

[quote name='eacsgolferdad' timestamp='1345294823' post='5493892']
Bringing this to the top. Has anyone heard anything regarding Shaker Hills? At this point, it seems like a lost season for them.
[/quote]

As of 2 weeks ago, I think they were still trying to come up with a sustainable water supply. I thought that had located one last year, but apparently either the pump tests or the location of the well, didn't work out as well as anticipated. The main sprinkler control system also had to be replaced ... as well as another $1,000,000 worth of fit up & repairs, before it will be fully operational.

You might want to call Tim Valas @ [color=#373737](978) 772-3330 [/color]if you want information:

http://66.147.244.61/~shakerhi/

• 3 weeks later...

Nice article in the Worcester Telegram about the course. Some serious changes have occurred. Sounds like no expense was skipped to bring this course back to better than what it was. The description of the 18th sounds fantastic and a practice hole will be on the course. Fantastic...

http://www.telegram.com/article/20120909/COLUMN34/109099792/1009/sports

Bumping an old thread here after finding it in a search, but what is the latest on the course? Is it open?

I play Butter Brook and Red Tail fairly frequently and both are worth the drive from Boston. However, Shaker Ridge was "one and done" for me and it was because of what others have echoed, poor hospitality and treatment by staff. Specifically, for me it was the fact that the course "closes" at a certain time of night. I paid full freight for a weekend round, not twilight or anything, and on 16 we were told the course was closed and we had to leave. To make matters worse in my mind, we didn't have carts!!! I can think of no reasonable reason in that case as to why we would have to pick up our balls and walk down the 17th and 18th fairways on our way in, with plenty of daylight, while not playing golf!! The ranger was smug and nasty and I NEVER went back.

Well, perhaps that was the past . . . maybe there will be bigger and better things at Shaker someday.

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

[quote name='Judge Smails' timestamp='1348067925' post='5663297']
Bumping an old thread here after finding it in a search, but what is the latest on the course? Is it open?

I play Butter Brook and Red Tail fairly frequently and both are worth the drive from Boston. However, Shaker Ridge was "one and done" for me and it was because of what others have echoed, poor hospitality and treatment by staff. Specifically, for me it was the fact that the course "closes" at a certain time of night. I paid full freight for a weekend round, not twilight or anything, and on 16 we were told the course was closed and we had to leave. To make matters worse in my mind, we didn't have carts!!! I can think of no reasonable reason in that case as to why we would have to pick up our balls and walk down the 17th and 18th fairways on our way in, with plenty of daylight, while not playing golf!! The ranger was smug and nasty and I NEVER went back.

Well, perhaps that was the past . . . maybe there will be bigger and better things at Shaker someday.
[/quote]

I was never a Shaker Hills fan, but this strikes me as odd - wasn't their policy that cart was included (mandatory?) with the greens fees? Why were you walking?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1348367200' post='5679961']
[quote name='Judge Smails' timestamp='1348067925' post='5663297']

[/quote]

I was never a Shaker Hills fan, but this strikes me as odd - wasn't their policy that cart was included (mandatory?) with the greens fees? Why were you walking?
[/quote]

I think there's some confusion about Shaker Farms?? and Shaker Hills.. Two different courses.

Played over the weekend. Course is in very nice shape. Some ground under repair, as you might expect given the extensive repairs. Greens were true and in great shape. The reconfigured 18th hole is not in play, but looks like a great finishing hole. 230+ yd target off the tee leaving a 170 yd blind approach for eagle. Clubhouse is still being worked on and the amenities are slim. Practice green is closed. Didn't get to the range. Staff was great!!! I suspect fees will be $79 w/cart next summer. Had a great round and enjoyed the course. Glad Shaker is back!

PXG Spitfire

Maxfli Tour

BBF&Co. TP-9

[quote name='Dess' timestamp='1349796295' post='5770539']
Played over the weekend. Course is in very nice shape. Some ground under repair, as you might expect given the extensive repairs. Greens were true and in great shape. The reconfigured 18th hole is not in play, but looks like a great finishing hole. 230+ yd target off the tee leaving a 170 yd blind approach for eagle. Clubhouse is still being worked on and the amenities are slim. Practice green is closed. Didn't get to the range. Staff was great!!! I suspect fees will be $79 w/cart next summer. Had a great round and enjoyed the course. Glad Shaker is back!
[/quote]

How long was the course playing? I was told 18 was currently being played as a par 3? I'm playing there this Saturday and really looking forward to it!

[quote name='twtolley' timestamp='1349796719' post='5770585']
How long was the course playing? I was told 18 was currently being played as a par 3? I'm playing there this Saturday and really looking forward to it!
[/quote]

yes, 18 is playing @ 145. other than 18, the yardage hasn't changed. i think you'll enjoy it. the bunkers are nicely sanded, new carts, ballwashers. teaboxes are near virgin. its not an easy track and the low sun can be difficult on wet grass to find your ball - even in the fairway. so keep an eyeball on it.

PXG Spitfire

Maxfli Tour

BBF&Co. TP-9

I don't know the course, but read the article, and noted the author attempted to reach "the owners" of the club. I read that to mean it was privately held by what sounds to be an LLC, with limited participants.

I agree with [b]@BrianL99[/b]. Length of ownership is not measurable, nor is what the 2.13 million in debit went towards (possible problem for the bank). One thing is easy to guesstimate, due to seasonable influences, and the last five years of economy, best case revenue scenario would not cover annual operational expenses, much less "interest" payments toward 2.13 millions in debit.

Also, best guess, the course has held that debit for sometime, as banks typically hold course debit against real assets for 3-4yrs, then the balloon payoff hits. If it's not paid, the bank calls the note, requiring the sale of course assets and/or BK filing. At that juncture, its likely the bank might take over the course till they can find a qualified investor. That kind of course best survives if they have a benevolent dictator(s) as owner. Unfortunately, that courses dictator didn't ust prudent judgment on when to rebuild the clubhouse. They won't come just because of a fancy new clubhouse.

Any course that has debit service in the millions, had better have a stable and distinguished membership to pay off debit, otherwise the course will fail in today's golf economy. In other words courses with debit service are the ones in world of hurt. Well managed courses have NO debit service.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1349805339' post='5771385']

Any course that has debit service in the millions, had better have a stable and distinguished membership to pay off debit, otherwise the course will fail in today's golf economy. In other words courses with debit service are the ones in world of hurt. Well managed courses have NO debit service.
[/quote]

I don't believe the new owner is carrying any debt and I think he's really only using the course as a long term investment and hobby. I wish him luck, he outbid me at the auction, but he seems to be a good guy from what I've heard.

The golf course ownership business these days, is a tough racket to turn a profit ... the #'s just don't add up very well.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1349819381' post='5772589']

I don't believe the new owner is carrying any debt and I think he's really only using the course as a long term investment and hobby. I wish him luck, he outbid me at the auction, but he seems to be a good guy from what I've heard.

The golf course ownership business these days, is a tough racket to turn a profit ... the #'s just don't add up very well.
[/quote]

As LTI, does he see developing the course in the future? How hard/easy is it to make the move from Golf Course to Subdivision, Warehouse/Industrial ? I ask because that is the situation here in my town, with the owner running the course for a few years then closing and offering it as a development property.

[quote name='KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE' timestamp='1349819824' post='5772623']

[/quote]

As LTI, does he see developing the course in the future? How hard/easy is it to make the move from Golf Course to Subdivision, Warehouse/Industrial ? I ask because that is the situation here in my town, with the owner running the course for a few years then closing and offering it as a development property.
[/quote]

I have no clue, but the intrinsic value in golf courses in this area, is the developable land area. They tried to do a land development on the Shaker property a few years back, but it failed for various reasons. If the housing market comes back strong, who knows?

& you obviously don't know the area or you wouldn't ask about Industrial/Commercial in Harvard ... it's a one horse down and the golf course is in the woods ... you'd go broke quick, trying to do an Industrial use there :)

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1349820477' post='5772685']
[quote name='KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE' timestamp='1349819824' post='5772623']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have not clue, but the intrinsic value in golf courses in this area, is the developable land area. They try to do a land development on the Shaker property a few years back, but it failed for various reasons. If the housing market comes back strong, who knows?

& you obviously don't know the area or you wouldn't ask about Industrial/Commercial in Harvard ... it's a one horse down and the golf course is in the woods ... you'd go broke quick, trying to do an Industrial use there :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. The owner of the old course here is shaking the trees trying to get any use other than the course to fly. From the aforementioned subdivision and warehousing, to a private school site with plenty of land for football/baseball feilds. No one is biting and he is keeping the grass mowed. It will be interesting to see if he has the greens covered when the temp drops.

[quote name='KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE' timestamp='1349820835' post='5772711']

Thanks for the reply. The owner of the old course here is shaking the trees trying to get any use other than the course to fly. From the aforementioned subdivision and warehousing, to a private school site with plenty of land for football/baseball feilds. No one is biting and he is keeping the grass mowed. It will be interesting to see if he has the greens covered when the temp drops.
[/quote]

The #'s are just really difficult for golf right now. I don't know where in the country you are, but typically hard costs to run a golf course in this area, is around $1,000,00 - $2,000.000, depending on quality & amenities ... Private Clubs are much more expensive. If your course does 25,000 rounds (which is a good # in a 6/7 months season) @ $50/round, you're not really making any money.

[quote name='KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE' timestamp='1349822506' post='5772823']
I'm east of Memphis, and the course is a 9 hole Muni. The course was doing good to get $15 for 9 and a cart, but the real draw was the driving range. It was the best in West Tennessee and made more money than the course.
[/quote]

Driving ranges can be money makers, golf courses not so much.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1349805339' post='5771385']
[/quote]

[b]The golf course ownership business these days, is a tough racket to turn a profit ... the #'s just don't add up very well.[/b]
[/quote]

That's an understatement. :) IMO clubs have to be purchased as purely tax write-off against earning elsewhere, or as a attraction to buying new homes.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1349821946' post='5772773']
[/quote]

The #'s are just really difficult for golf right now. I don't know where in the country you are, but typically hard costs to run a golf course in this area, is around $1,000,00 - $2,000.000, depending on quality & amenities ... Private Clubs are much more expensive. If your course does 25,000 rounds (which is a good # in a 6/7 months season) @ $50/round, you're not really making any money.
[/quote]Hence other services, i.e. beer license, is almost a requirement for the additional revenue.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1349891041' post='5776621']
[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1349821946' post='5772773']
[/quote]

[/quote]Hence other services, i.e. beer license, is almost a requirement for the additional revenue.

--kC
[/quote]

Actually, from my private club experience, liqueur license is a given in 1M-2M annual operating expenses. People don't stop and realize other "luxury" services" can cost far more then they return in revenue, like restaurants. Eight of ten times, if the club has a bar, its revenue covers restaurant loses, and almost always. restaurants alone are losers.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

Nice to see someone making some changes at Shaker. Excellent article posted above.

I think the idea of a finishing hole near the patio is an excellent one. And who doesn't love the practice hole idea. Amazing!

As for my earlier post about not having a cart and being kicked off the course because it was past 7:00 p.m., notwithstanding the daylight, that very definitely happened at (the old) Shaker Hills. Here's on to bigger and better things there.

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

• 6 months later...