2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

No one at my club recognizes Japanese clubs!.!..!??!

Tenngolfer

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Petho' timestamp='1340447980' post='5153574']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1339382732' post='5064596']
It's pretty subjective. I have owned a set of Miura cb 202's and Miura tournament blades in the past, and while I thought they were both very nice I didn't think they were better than a titleist forging so I went back. That being said I switch clubs a lot and have been eyeing a set of Miura 501's so I might be back in the club sooner than I think.
[/quote]

About time you said something substantial in this thread..

Op; it just wouldn't be the same if the players at your club recognised Japanese sticks, where's the fun in that?!
[/quote]

This was the best comment here. I love how you quoted something he wrote 2 weeks ago.

Anytime anyone can stick it to thrillhouse I'm on board!!!!!

Personally, I like to take a file to my Miura's to etch off the name. Then I like to put lead tape all over the back and then I like to take a SOS pad to the grooves to make them look all used. Then I put irons covers on them just in case.

I keyed my own ferrari so no one would steal it.

This seemed to get heated really fast. Wow.

To the OP, I did not know much about JDM or even tour issued stuff until I came upon this site and a couple of the custom builders. My wife sure wishes I did not know about any of this stuff. LOL

My buddies never heard of any JDM or anything beyond the stuff they saw at the local golf shop. After I got hooked on golf I started playing a lot more and now it depends on where I play if anyone know about the Muira's, Scratch, Bettinardi or any tour stuff. The local course I play- the only people who know anything about these types of companies are the Head Pro and Head golf instructor. The folks I know only know of the gear due to me being a golf ho and always having new stuff either purchased or traded and they ask me what's new in the bag.

The country club I sometimes get to play at is where it seems I get more questions on gear and have heard of equipment not at the local GG. My dentist is very well off and did not know much about Muira, Honma, Scratch, Tour Gear and even the "real deal vs made for shafts". He knew I am a golf nut and we became friends and now he is a bigger ho than me. Haha. He jokes that he had to expand his business to keep up with the ho'ing.

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Proxima 6X

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Mini Driver 13.5*- Ventus TR Blue 7TX

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1340489695' post='5155336']
LOL! Still trolling for a fight huh swisstrader?
[/quote]
Nah...that would be you with what you said and did with tenn golfer and your rather juvenile antics. Embarrassing at best, but carry on. Someone years ago must have told you you're funny, but sadly not.

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1340571515' post='5159526']
[/quote]
Nah...that would be you with what you said and did with tenn golfer and your rather juvenile antics. Embarrassing at best, but carry on. Someone years ago must have told you you're funny, but sadly not.
[/quote]

Ha ha look how mad you still are!

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1340580265' post='5160164']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Not mad in the least...just think you owe the OP and others who had to listen to your dribble an apology.

Without realizing it, I am only left with mostly japanese clubs (low end ones, can't afford the others) after a 5 year hoing frenzy in which I went thru 50+ irons sets. These are the winners that I have been playing for the last 1.5 years

srixon i701 tour

bridgestone j38 CB

mizuno mp 60

mizuno mx23

tourstage z101

adams pro gold (satin tour issue) - only non JDM of the bunch

adams idea pro (first forged iron set that I bought 6 years ago)

ironsj.jpg

I did try taylormade, titleist, pings, callaways etc but they all got the boot.

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1340591058' post='5161184']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1340580265' post='5160164']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Not mad in the least...just think you owe the OP and others who had to listen to your dribble an apology.
[/quote]

Lol, so mad! Here's your apology:

Swisstrader, I'm sorry that you can't get over the fact that some guy who calls himself thrillhouse on a golf forum refuses to fight with you because he thinks it's a stupid waste of time.

Feel better? LOL!

[quote name='Mattco' timestamp='1340580490' post='5160192']
I guy at the driving range the other day recognized my Miuras. Of course he was in town with his son for the Future Masters from Hawaii and his son was sporting some Onoff's with Iomic grips.

Just wanted to brag that I met someone that actually knew what they were.
[/quote]

Nice.. You know, I haven't even seen anyone with iomic grips, now that you mention it... I am feeling a new thread, maybe... "NO one at my clubs recognizes my IOMICS....WTF??!!??"

I actually ordered a couple of Iomics to try out. They feel pretty good I haven't placed them on any sticks yet. Of course I am peevish like that with grips, unless they are completely worn out I feel like I am committing a sin to replace them.

Without realizing it, I am only left with mostly japanese clubs (low end ones, can't afford the others) after a 5 year hoing frenzy in which I went thru 50+ irons sets. These are the winners that I have been playing for the last 1.5 years

srixon i701 tour

bridgestone j38 CB

mizuno mp 60

mizuno mx23

tourstage z101

ironsj.jpg

Dude, you might be talking low end... I don't see it that way if you are referring to quality. I would have already tried some srixon, tourstage, or bridgestones if I could find them in my specs.. It is my understanding they are more upright than the standard mizunos etc. so i haven't found a set yet that would match the specs i would need without custom ordering etc.

As I have posted before, I alternate my mizzies with my Miuras...

There is alot of love in these forums for mizuno, tourstage etc.. Just because it is cheaper, i dont think necessarily means lower quality or value. If by lower end, you just mean cheaper.. then perhaps... but I definitely wouldn't think of them as inferior. Besides... I think I ended up paying more for my mizunos then I did my miura tourneys.. oh how I love e of the bay... speaking of that...

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1340648807' post='5164742']
I guy at the driving range the other day recognized my Miuras. Of course he was in town with his son for the Future Masters from Hawaii and his son was sporting some Onoff's with Iomic grips.

[/quote]

Nice.. You know, I haven't even seen anyone with iomic grips, now that you mention it... I am feeling a new thread, maybe... "NO one at my clubs recognizes my IOMICS....WTF??!!??"

I actually ordered a couple of Iomics to try out. They feel pretty good I haven't placed them on any sticks yet. Of course I am peevish like that with grips, unless they are completely worn out I feel like I am committing a sin to replace them.
[/quote]

The Iomic grips are nice. I picked up a set of Premio grips (similar American made grip) and so far I'm not overly impressed with them. Next set of grips will be Iomics I believe, just more tack and a little softer than the Premios.

[quote name='Mattco' timestamp='1340672299' post='5167062']
[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1340648807' post='5164742']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Iomic grips are nice. I picked up a set of Premio grips (similar American made grip) and so far I'm not overly impressed with them. Next set of grips will be Iomics I believe, just more tack and a little softer than the Premios.
[/quote]

I have always used golf pride, and have liked their grips. I haven't tried premio. IT seems like iomics are supposed to be the best, atleast according to reviews

[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1340679368' post='5167904']
[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1340626115' post='5162546']
New nickname for Thrillhouse: either Trollhouse or Outhouse. Somehow both fit, so need some input.

I will be conducting a poll on this shortly
[/quote]

How old are you Swiss?
[/quote]

We are on the internet, so of course we are all 25 yo, look like we are chiseled out of granite, drive two sports cars, have a supermodel wife, even hotter girlfriends on the side. and atleast 2 to 3 million dollars in walkin around money ;-)

I'm good for 5 out of 6 of those[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1340741729' post='5172368']
[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1340679368' post='5167904']
[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1340626115' post='5162546']
New nickname for Thrillhouse: either Trollhouse or Outhouse. Somehow both fit, so need some input.

I will be conducting a poll on this shortly
[/quote]

How old are you Swiss?
[/quote]

We are on the internet, so of course we are all 25 yo, look like we are chiseled out of granite, drive two sports cars, have a supermodel wife, even hotter girlfriends on the side. and atleast 2 to 3 million dollars in walkin around money ;-)
[/quote]

srixon i701 tour

bridgestone j38 CB

mizuno mp 60

mizuno mx23

tourstage z101

ironsj.jpg

Dude, you might be talking low end... I don't see it that way if you are referring to quality. I would have already tried some srixon, tourstage, or bridgestones if I could find them in my specs.. It is my understanding they are more upright than the standard mizunos etc. so i haven't found a set yet that would match the specs i would need without custom ordering etc.

As I have posted before, I alternate my mizzies with my Miuras...

There is alot of love in these forums for mizuno, tourstage etc.. Just because it is cheaper, i dont think necessarily means lower quality or value. If by lower end, you just mean cheaper.. then perhaps... but I definitely wouldn't think of them as inferior. Besides... I think I ended up paying more for my mizunos then I did my miura tourneys.. oh how I love e of the bay... speaking of that...

I did not mean to imply that they are inferior in quality - just that I did not spend $1500 for it from tourspec. I got the i701 on clearance at Golfsmith and I will play them till I wear the grooves out, i love that set. Also, with the exception of tourstage, all the others are available in US, so not really brands that will be unfamiliar to most golfers.

I agree.. not inferior in quality, just that they are not as rare as some of the other JDM brands like Miura.

[quote name='idrive' timestamp='1340684333' post='5168354']
Those Tourstage Z101's have been around for a few years now.

Possibly the best CB's ever.
[/quote]

I need to change the shaft and lie angles on my set before I can give my verdict :)
The only reason I picked them up is cause I have heard a lot of good things about them.

[quote name='Ghost_Orchid' timestamp='1340328017' post='5145516']
My first JDM clubs were the 2009 TP Forged, they are TM but Japanese TM. I tried to buy some Kenmochi wedges, but they weren't available until July...so I passed and got SCORs instead.

Right now I have eyes and wallet on these puppies...trying to figure out a way to get them. I already have 4 sets of irons.

[attachment=1222522:14.jpg]
[/quote]

I've been interested in those for a while but am playing a set of TC 1000's, or rather sometimes bag them. They're good clubs but sometimes I feel the need for slightly larger heads.

Regardless, they are good clubs and a good change from my normal set.

Shambles

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1339377898' post='5064058']
I play a lot of golf. A lot. And, in all that time I can count on one hand the number of golfers that had the kind of interest in golf equipment that we do.
[/quote]This is Soooo true. I have yet to run into someone who knew what Miura, Yonex, Epon are. And when I tell guys in my league about golfwrx.com they act like I'm nuts because I read about golf on the internet. But now that I won the Yonex Ezone giveaway. I have some of their attentions. But some stuborn poor souls say "oh you must've given them your credit card number and you will be billed later" *sigh I feel sorry for them. They don't know what they are missing.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='Ondeck25' timestamp='1341235455' post='5203236']
I play a lot of golf. A lot. And, in all that time I can count on one hand the number of golfers that had the kind of interest in golf equipment that we do.
[/quote]This is Soooo true. I have yet to run into someone who knew what Miura, Yonex, Epon are. And when I tell guys in my league about golfwrx.com they act like I'm nuts because I read about golf on the internet. But now that I won the Yonex Ezone giveaway. I have some of their attentions. But some stuborn poor souls say "oh you must've given them your credit card number and you will be billed later" *sigh I feel sorry for them. They don't know what they are missing.
[/quote]

Exactly the point.

If you play any equipment, JDM, tour issue, vintage, custom, whatever, because you think the guys at your club are going to fall all over you when you show up at the tee, you are going to be very disappointed. This is what the OP found out.

Play what you want to because #1 it suits your game, and #2 because you like it.

I hope you didn't mistake "got their attentions" with "wow check out my gear, I'm so cool"...what I meant is they get that golfwrx.com is a legit site.

Or did I take your reply the wrong way?

Editor Product Reviews

[quote name='dalehead' timestamp='1341244064' post='5204156']
[quote name='Ondeck25' timestamp='1341235455' post='5203236']
[/quote]

Exactly the point.

If you play any equipment, JDM, tour issue, vintage, custom, whatever, because you think the guys at your club are going to fall all over you when you show up at the tee, you are going to be very disappointed. This is what the OP found out.

Play what you want to because #1 it suits your game, and #2 because you like it.
[/quote]

dont assume things.. I was not disappointed.. as I have said now for like the 6th time I was curious as to noone knowing about JDM was something unique to my area, or in general. The consensus is that it is a general thing that noone knows about JDM. I am quite content that noone knows about my JDM goodies and prefer it that way. I think I said that in my original post too.

I don't play clubs to impress others, I play what makes [u][b]ME[/b][/u] happy, and right now it is definitely JDM.. I don't see ithat changing anytime soon.

I do think alot of people are missing out because they only rely on mainstream media and advertising to tell them what clubs to play.. the majority of golfers miss out on a very good market of clubs because of it. Luckily the internet allows us access to information and products we would have never found out about if not for it.

[quote name='Ondeck25' timestamp='1341256912' post='5205452']
I hope you didn't mistake "got their attentions" with "wow check out my gear, I'm so cool"...what I meant is they get that golfwrx.com is a legit site.

Or did I take your reply the wrong way?
[/quote]

No you took it the right way... I think everyone else will understand your point, I know I do. Until you discovered JDM.. you didn't realize what you were missing out on, you tried to tell your buddies but they are stuck in their ways and won't look at JDM because it doesn't say Taylormade, Titleist, or Ping on it. Not that they are inferior, but unless 200 tour pros are playing it I know alot of golfers that wouldn't look twice at it.

Enjoy your new found secret my friend. If you are like me, I don't know that I will ever go back to OEM drivers after playing my Yonex 380.

Your right about that...if it doesn't say TMAG, Titleist or PING they just turn their heads. I'm going with the above post..."they are just cheap knock offs" lol I love that one.

Editor Product Reviews