How does TaylorMade get away w/ this RocketBallz "great, amazing, wonderful golf club"?

TheFlyingWASP

Up until today, I had managed to stay away from hitting the TaylorMade RBZ, but EVERYONE at my club keeps going on & on about how long they are. So, I decided to demo them today. Hit the 3W, 5W, & 3H. My first 5 attempts ended up w/ huge, fat shots and divots the site of a softball. I finally got comfortable hitting the hybrid (& I was hitting them farther), but not the fairway woods. about every 3rd shot ended w/ a terrible, fat, chunky shot. I had my suspicions that the reason these clubs are 10-15 yards longer is because the shafts are longer, not because the slot behind the face, or whatever other BS they are trying to push. Sure enough, the Driver & fairway foods are 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch longer than other clubs in the pro shop, but the hybrids were the worst. I put a Ping G20 3H up against the RBZ 3h and I swear there was nearly 2" difference in length!!! No wonder I was hitting them fat!!! And no wonder they are longer!!! Anyone can take the head of a 3 hybrid and stick a 5 wood shaft in it and say it's "longer". So, really, if your RBZ 3H is really a 5wood, why not just hit a 5 wood??? Maybe this topic has been brought up previously. Maybe its been beat into the ground. It's been a while since I've been on here. Just wanted some thoughts. Seems ridiculous to me though.

Titleist TS2 Driver (10.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 Fairway Wood (16*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 Hybrid (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 Irons (5-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge (50*/11) w/ Dynamic Gold 115

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

Vokey SM6 Black w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour  (62*/8)

Scotty Cameron Futura X5r Putter (34”)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what he was refering to was the fact they claim to be longer..Well they [i]are [/i]longer..Physically. That was the point of the post. I never saw the OP claim that him hitting it fat or whatever was TMs fault. The "scam" part is in claiming they are longer when they are just fitted with an unusally long shaft.

TM has been using longer shafts for some time...no news there. Superfast drivers were 46". The fact that quite a few people saw an increase (whether it's 17 yards or not) with the RBZ over their existing woods (TM and other OEM) would have me thinking there's something behind what TM is doing.

Sadly, when I read that your first 5 attempts were fat, chunky shots and that every 3rd attempt was a fat, chunky shot...my first impression was that it might be more of the Indian vs. the arrow....

You hit a ball fat with a 3 wood, and proclaim its a scam?

Hilarious.

A taylormade rep should start a thread that's titled "How many bad reviews do we have to take from people who suck?"

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I cut down my RBZ 3 wood and it's still the longest I've hit. It's the indian, not the arrow.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I agree with the OP, kindof... I don't think they are "getting away" with anything... I think people focus too much on distance and not enough on control.

If people really cared about their score, they would worry more about WHERE they hit it and not worry about how far they were past their playing partners (especially when said ball is in the woods).

I think it's interesting that driver length seems to have capped off at 46 inches... (Long Tom not included)

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

[quote name='AirGolf23' timestamp='1339623773' post='5086892']
Doesn't work for you=scam....I see...
[/quote]

It did work for me after I realized I was hitting a fairway wood w/ a hybrid head on it. I played it more up in my stance & stood a little further away. I was bombing it. But whats the point? Why have a hybrid that is really a 5 wood? So you can say you hit your Hybrid 230 yards? Why not market 25 degree 7 irons. Bet you could really bomb one of those. I just don't get how people fall for the gimmick.

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

If a club is too short or long..... I compensate.

Anyways, I think that knowing something is made or designed somehow to promote longer distances is not a scam.

[size=3][font=georgia,serif][b]Nike [/b]Vapor TW - BB73s
[b]Titleist [/b]915F 15* - D+ 80s
[b]Titleist [/b]913F 19* - D+ 82s
[b]Titleist [/b]913H 21* - Phenom 80s
[b]Mizuno [/b]MP 64 - 4-PW S300
[b]Titleist Vokey [/b]SM5- 54/08M, 60/04L
[b]Scotty Cameron [/b]Select Newport[/font][/size]
[url="https://flic.kr/p/E5WxHK"][img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1616/24997465921_7a3f574e63.jpg[/img][/url]

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1339624233' post='5086944']

Hilarious.

A taylormade rep should start a thread that titled "How many bad reviews do we have to take from people who suck?"
[/quote]

I just walked 18 and shot a 76. Yea, I suck you d@@$h bag.

[quote name='Ping-man' timestamp='1339624400' post='5086962']
[quote name='AirGolf23' timestamp='1339623773' post='5086892']
Doesn't work for you=scam....I see...
[/quote]

It did work for me after I realized I was hitting a fairway wood w/ a hybrid head on it. I played it more up in my stance & stood a little further away. I was bombing it. But whats the point? Why have a hybrid that is really a 5 wood? So you can say you hit your Hybrid 230 yards? Why not market 25 degree 7 irons. Bet you could really bomb one of those. I just don't get how people fall for the gimmick.
[/quote]

First of all, I play a 4w/7w Nike Dymo2, so I could really care less about being able to "boast" about getting great distance out of a hybrid.
Secondly, I still don't understand how it is a scam? TM has had longer shafts for multiple years now on their clubs and yet the people who really like the RBZ still got more distance than their previous TM models. To say the "speed-slot" really isn't what is behind the gains in distance sounds kind of ignorant when you yourself stated you hit it terrribly a few times at the range.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist 910D3 Tour AD-DI
Titleist 910F 19* Project X
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW KBS Tour-V
Titleist SM5 50*F/54*M/58*K KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Select Newport[/font]

Like I said. Once I realized how much longer they were (literally longer) I did adjust. But they don't advertise it that way. They don't tell you. I did and I adjusted. My point is not that it is TM's fault that I hit them fat (at first), my point is that I just think it's funny that people are so hung up on distance, even to the detriment of their game. Most people should be hitting shorter drivers and fairway woods, not longer, but every company is jockeying for "longest" so they make the shaft too long and the loft too low. How many of you people that just jumped all over me can honestly say that you can hit a RBZ 3 wood onto a green and have it hold? It's just a driver w/ a smaller head. I don't care who uses one. There is nothing wrong with them. My point, which has been twisted, was more about the length of the shaft being why they are long, not the slot, or any other new technology. Jeesh guys. Chill out!!!

[quote name='kg92lefty' timestamp='1339624937' post='5087032']
If you are chunking woods You need to work on your swing, its not the club.
[/quote]

My swing is fine, thanks.

it is what it is. TM is a marketing machine and they have everyone eating off their hand. that being said, i wouldn't go as far as to say it's a scam. It's a combination of copied technology (adams) and super light/long shafts. For the record, I'm neither a fanboy nor a hater. I currently game R11 3 wood that i hit pretty damn straight. I've tried the RBZ and it's a great club, it's just that i play my 3 wood at 42" and there's no way I can get an RBZ to feel normal after cutting off 1 1/2"

I hit the R11 3 wood fat quite a bit. Just didn't work for me. I have no problems with the RBZ so take it for what it's worth.

I think the RBZ is longer for alot of people but you need to get the proper shaft and length. No club is perfect for everyone.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

Can someone not make a legitimate complaint / observation with out it turning into "you $uck"? Why make it personal because you don't agree w/ what I have to say? I'm not criticizing your choice for using the club, just wanted to discuss WHY THEY CLAIM ITS LONGER.

[quote name='Ping-man' timestamp='1339625371' post='5087082']
Can someone not make a legitimate complaint / observation with out it turning into "you $uck"? Why make it personal because you don't agree w/ what I have to say? I'm not criticizing your choice for using the club, just wanted to discuss WHY THEY CLAIM ITS LONGER.
[/quote]

You brought it upon yourself by proclaiming TM was getting away with a "scam."

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist 910D3 Tour AD-DI
Titleist 910F 19* Project X
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW KBS Tour-V
Titleist SM5 50*F/54*M/58*K KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Select Newport[/font]

It's more than just the physical length. One factor is that they are strangely easy to hit, even off the deck, AT those longer lengths. And even when you cut them down they're still long.

But...um....so you set up over these clubs, hit them fat a few times, and then measured them against other clubs....and that's when you realized they were at least a half inch longer than you are accustomed to? Okaaaay. :)

Me being an a****** aside, the driver was no big deal for me...I didn't like it. But the 3W has been great. /shrug

[/quote]

They claim it is longer because in their perfect scenario testing it was in fact longer than The other fairway they tested it against with similar clubhead speed.

They never said it was the longest fairway wood on the planet just longer than the club they tested it against

Hilarious.

A taylormade rep should start a thread that titled "How many bad reviews do we have to take from people who suck?"
[/quote]

(face/palm)

Ping - It is one word, and there is an "ouche" in there somewhere. Just saying...

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

The lesson here is that posting a thread with claims of someone or some company marketing scams will set someone up to be flamed and criticized. A better way would have been to make observations and ask if others have a shared perspective.

Example:

[color=#0000ff][u][b]Topic Title[/b][/u] - RBZ woods/hybrids - Longer distance because of longer shafts?[/color]

[color=#0000ff][u][b]Contents[/b][/u][/color]

[color=#0000ff]After hearing a lot about the new RBZ woods and hybrids, I decided to try them out to see if they lived up to the hype. I initially struggled to make good contact with the ball, but after getting used to the club, I was indeed hitting them farther. I then noticed that the clubs are nearly 1" longer than the standard clubs I've been using. At that point it made sense why I initially had trouble making good contact and potentially why I was seeing distance gains. [/color]

[color=#0000ff]My observation is that the additional distance would almost seem to come more from the longer shaft than the new technology. Does anybody else think that the marketing might be a bit deceiving? Yeah, they are longer, but in my experience, it seems like it might be related to the fact that the shaft is longer. [/color]

[color=#0000ff]Thoughts?[/color]

[/quote]

You are wrong You are blanketly saying the claims the company makes are untrue and a scam and wonder how fool after fool are "buying it" if you don't recognize that you started insulting people, basically telling them they are morons for believing lies, then you have way bigger problems then if you can hit a 3 wood or not.

For the record, I play an adams 3 wood and yonex 5 wood.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='AirGolf23' timestamp='1339625432' post='5087088']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Fine, poor choice of words. How about "creative marketing" Is that more PC for everyone? Look, in a way it is a scam. Not an illegal scam, but more of a "pulling the wool over people's eyes". My guess is that most people who go out & but a new RBZ 3 hybrid already has a 5 wood that they hit pretty well. They are claiming that their 3H is longer. And it is, technically. They just fail to mention that your really hitting a 5 wood. Scam, rouse, lie, marketing, whatever.

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1339625657' post='5087116']

Hilarious.

[/quote]

(face/palm)

Ping - It is one word, and there is an "ouche" in there somewhere. Just saying...
[/quote]

My "ouch" was edited. :)

[quote name='Ping-man' timestamp='1339624400' post='5086962']...I just don't get how people fall for the gimmick. [/quote]

[quote name='Ping-man' timestamp='1339625052' post='5087046'] There is nothing wrong with them. My point, which has been twisted, was more about the length of the shaft being why they are long, not the slot, or any other new technology. Jeesh guys. Chill out!!! [/quote]

I think it's more the implied tone that comes across, and which is more evident in the first quote I quoted above. Like you think people who use them are being taken in by a scam or gimmick--implying "suckers."

Honestly, I knew that they were longer before touching them. I am pretty sure they say they're longer and lighter on the commercials or something. Not to mention, that's kinda TM's MO anyway. A little technology (which ususally helps at least some) and a little longer and lighter club to increase the differences. Regardless, in the case of the RBZ 3w, it seems to work well for me and quite a few others.

[quote name='Ping-man' timestamp='1339625736' post='5087130']
[quote name='AirGolf23' timestamp='1339625432' post='5087088']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Fine, poor choice of words. How about "creative marketing" Is that more PC for everyone? Look, in a way it is a scam. Not an illegal scam, but more of a "pulling the wool over people's eyes". My guess is that most people who go out & but a new RBZ 3 hybrid already has a 5 wood that they hit pretty well. They are claiming that their 3H is longer. And it is, technically. They just fail to mention that your really hitting a 5 wood. Scam, rouse, lie, marketing, whatever.
[/quote]

I hope you don't start looking up modern day iron lofts. You might have a heart attack.