How does TaylorMade get away w/ this RocketBallz "great, amazing, wonderful golf club"?

TheFlyingWASP

[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1339625689' post='5087118']
The lesson here is that posting a thread with claims of someone or some company marketing scams will set someone up to be flamed and criticized. A better way would have been to make observations and ask if others have a shared perspective.

Example:

[color=#0000ff][u][b]Topic Title[/b][/u] - RBZ woods/hybrids - Longer distance because of longer shafts?[/color]

[color=#0000ff][u][b]Contents[/b][/u][/color]

[color=#0000ff]After hearing a lot about the new RBZ woods and hybrids, I decided to try them out to see if they lived up to the hype. I initially struggled to make good contact with the ball, but after getting used to the club, I was indeed hitting them farther. I then noticed that the clubs are nearly 1" longer than the standard clubs I've been using. At that point it made sense why I initially had trouble making good contact and potentially why I was seeing distance gains. [/color]

[color=#0000ff]My observation is that the additional distance would almost seem to come more from the longer shaft than the new technology. Does anybody else think that the marketing might be a bit deceiving? Yeah, they are longer, but in my experience, it seems like it might be related to the fact that the shaft is longer. [/color]

[color=#0000ff]Thoughts?[/color]
[/quote]

Touche

Titleist TS2 Driver (10.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 Fairway Wood (16*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 Hybrid (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 Irons (5-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge (50*/11) w/ Dynamic Gold 115

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

Vokey SM6 Black w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour  (62*/8)

Scotty Cameron Futura X5r Putter (34”)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blah Blah Blah, I thought this had been beat into the ground already? TEE guarantee's that their stuff is longer, Cally says the Razr Fit stuff is longer, and Ping's stuff is "Filthy Long" YadaYadaYada. Get over it already !!!!!!!!!!

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

hitting shots fat is not a scam.

however, for comparison sakes - all of tm's 3 woods (15*-15.5*) are 43.5". titleist and nike are both 43" for the same loft.

look at drivers too: tm r11s is 45.75", tm rbz is 46", nike vr pro is 45.75" and titliest 910D2 is 45".

some people notice it, some don't. i remember when the burners came out and people complained that they were inconsistent. i told a friend to cut the shaft an 1" and he was automatic with it.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Look, in rereading my original post, I do see how it came across as kind of xxxxxxx. For that I apologize. I do not $uck. I am a fairly decent golfer. I just walked away from the driving range feeling very frustrated after hitting these clubs. After reading article after article about how modern clubs are too long, lofts are too low, etc, etc, all for "marketing", and how it really is a detriment to the average golfers game (me), and then to experience this today (after shooting a 76 mind you, so I was striking the ball pretty good), it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I was probably blowing off steam as much as I was asking the question. There is nothing wrong w/ the club or anyone that uses them. They just aren't for me. I don't like their advertising gimmick, but they are not the only ones guilty here either, so again, my apologies if I ruffled any feathers.

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

[quote name='Ping-man' timestamp='1339623504' post='5086856']
Up until today, I had managed to stay away from hitting the TaylorMade RBZ, but EVERYONE at my club keeps going on & on about how long they are. So, I decided to demo them today. Hit the 3W, 5W, & 3H. My first 5 attempts ended up w/ huge, fat shots and divots the site of a softball.
[/quote]
I stopped reading here ^^^

No worries. Besides, if you hang out here for another week or so, you'll keep wondering what all the fuss is about even more and you'll go try them again...and bomb them...and then you'll buy one and you won't want to tell us about it cuz of this thread...but you will anyway cuz you'll be too excited you just drove a short par 4 with it or hit a par 5 you hadn't before.... :)

Ha! I'm actually planning on going back tomorrow when I'm not so tired. Walking 18 on a hilly course, then banging out a bucket of balls on clubs that I have never hit before may not have been the fairest test. Honestly, I want to like them. I like the white heads, and who doesn't want more distance. I just don't want to sacrifice accuracy. So, yes, I will give them another go. And as for my first tar & feathering... ouch... lesson learned. But, it's all good. No worries. I like it here and I'm sure I'll be back to pi$$ many more people off again soon. :)

I dont think the extra distance from RBZ woods are entirely from extra length of shaft...I bought the 3 wood 17 degree HL version and noticed it was very long in shaft length...I cut off 1 inch immediately...still hitting it 15-20 yards further than my previous Burner 3 wood.

Just bought RBZ tour driver and promptly cut it down an inch...hits it just as far as my Adams Fast LS12 Fubuki(just sold btw) but much easier to hit.

I also have cut down 19 degree RBZ hybrid to complete the set(now this club doesnt feel much longer than my previous R11 hybrid but its lighter in feel).

It isn't a scam because TM advertises the club as being longer (distance), which it is when struck well. It doesn't matter that the shaft is .5" long because it is part of the club. That is like saying it was a scam when manufacturers came out with 460cc driver heads and advertised them as more forgiving than some competitor with a sub-400cc head. Yeah, apples to oranges, but it's true. For what it's worth, I've never owned a single TM club, but I hit the RBZ non-tour 3 wood and thought it was nice.

My RBZ 3 wood is playing at 43" so is around normal length for a 3 compared to ping, titleist, etc, and it was 20 yards longer than any other 3 wood I tested. Different clubs work for different people

RBZ Driver / Voodoo X
RBZ Tour 3w / X-Con 7 X
Ping i15 20* Rescue / Altus X
Titleist AP1 5-AW / S300s
Vokey 54 58 62 / S400s
Odyssey #9

I chopped my RBZ Tour TP Driver 1" and I gained distance and accuracy over stock length and my old driver. About to chop my RBZ Tour TP 3 and 4, 1/2". Betcha I gain distance and accuracy. I don't carry a 3w or 5w cause I don't feel the need to with these.

Personally, I don't care about the hype. The clubs are beautiful and fun to hit. They feel incredible when you really hook on to one. If you believed in the hype from all of the companies we'd be hitting the ball 400 yards off the tee and you wouldn't even have to carry a putter cause your would hole out every approach shot. Maybe that's why those guys yell "Get in the hole" while the pro's are teeing off on a par 5!

I don't understand the OP's point. It's a scam even though you got the hang of it and started bombing it? I understand your point about the longer shaft and how distance would be the result regardless of brand but wouldn't you generally lose some control? Maybe it's the combination of distance and [i]control[/i] that makes the RBZ special? It's just a thought.

Anyway, you started hitting it well so I'm not sure why you're complaining.

Why not go to a demo day where they have more than just one demo and try them out woth several shafts and lengths versus your whatever you play.

You hit a fairway wood fat, that's a swing flaw, not a club being longer flaw. If you hit a fairway wood properly, there's absolutely no way to hit it fat whether it has a 40 inch shaft or a 48 inch shaft. Your swing plane is too upright if you hit a fairway wood fat, period.

[quote name='mact3333' timestamp='1339628234' post='5087434']
I dont think the extra distance from RBZ woods are entirely from extra length of shaft...I bought the 3 wood 17 degree HL version and noticed it was very long in shaft length...I cut off 1 inch immediately...still hitting it 15-20 yards further than my previous Burner 3 wood.

[/quote]

This. I did the same thing with my RBZ 17HL but it beat out a TEE 15*.

Of course, the damn hybrids now hit almost as far and are easier to hit so the HL is headed to ebay... But it's still the best [s]4W[/s] 3W I've ever owned.

I'll go on record. TM is (more specifically, the RBZ line/concept) the Axe for men of the golf industry. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to the individual.

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

To me the RBZ 3 wood has a very deep face, almost looks like a driver from a few years ago......something tells me I could hit one about as far as my driver, how easy is it to hit them off the deck? When you are all saying they are a lot longer is that carry off the deck or tee?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1339625961' post='5087148']

I hope you don't start looking up modern day iron lofts. You might have a heart attack.
[/quote]

^
This. Lol!!!!

[left]Oh, I say and I say it again, ya been had![/left][indent]
[left]Ya been took![/left][indent]
[left]Ya been hoodwinked![/left][indent]
[left]Bamboozled![/left][indent]
[left]Led astray![/left][indent]
[left]Run amok![/left][/indent][/indent][/indent][/indent][/indent]
Seriously though there is something to the slot. It may not be the only reason for the distance increase, but it's a factor. Of course shaft length plays into it. In the end people pay off bets based on scores regardless of whether you used a 5 wood to hit the shot or a 5 wood disguised as a 3 hybrid. Consider yourself lucky that you've figured it out before you got

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1339635478' post='5088122']
To me the RBZ 3 wood has a very deep face, almost looks like a driver from a few years ago......something tells me I could hit one about as far as my driver, how easy is it to hit them off the deck? When you are all saying they are a lot longer is that carry off the deck or tee?
[/quote]
Look at one beside a big bertha driver sometime. You will be amazed.

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1339631869' post='5087772']
Why not go to a demo day where they have more than just one demo and try them out woth several shafts and lengths versus your whatever you play.

You hit a fairway wood fat, that's a swing flaw, not a club being longer flaw. If you hit a fairway wood properly, there's absolutely no way to hit it fat whether it has a 40 inch shaft or a 48 inch shaft. Your swing plane is too upright if you hit a fairway wood fat, period.
[/quote]

Sorry, but your wrong, & I was talking about the hybrid. It's 2" longer than my ping & I did hit it fat & my swing plane is not too upright. When the manufacturer puts a hybrid head on a 5 wood shaft & you play it like a hybrid, you'll hit it fat. But, you also failed to read the rest of my posts.

[size=4]RBZ tour 14.5/ Matrix RUL--- I can hit it high or low, as well as cut-it or draw-it ---- this club is filthy.[/size]
[size=4]The best golfclub that I have put in the bag in the last 10 years[/size].

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport 

Well I have the RBZ 3 and 5 woods and just nail them off the deck and off the tee... I did not like the driver over my G20... I am experiencing that with my G20... there is a magical length for all golfers that will allow you to hit them consistently on the sweet spot.... That being said my history is full of clubs that were just not for me, like the G15 and G20 hybrids, RBZ 3H, Callaway and Nike Drivers, etc...

It is really all about scoring... I play in a large group with a big skin pot and they give a crap of what you are hitting but how you are scoring...

I will say this though... I had a guy in my asked me why I was not hitting my driver, and I was like dude I 5 steps past you with a 5w with 105yds to the hole... they have me chewing up shorter par 4s

TM SLDR with Motore Speeder
Cally XR 3 wood
Cally XHot 2 5w
Cally XR 7w
Ping G25 5i & 6i
Ping i20 CFS 7i - GW
Cally Jaws wedges 54* and 58*
Spider Daddy Long Legs 1st gen

[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1339629920' post='5087572']
so even the guy who thinks it's a scam hits them farther!!!!

TM stuff must be amazing!
[/quote]

Yes, Amazing. So, if I take a Sharpie & write "3 wood" on my Driver & then say "I hit my 3 wood as far as your driver", would that too be Amazing? I hit it farther because it's a 5 wood that says "3 hybrid" on it. Yes, that is amazing...

All I can tell you is my RBZ tour 3 wood is the cats meow. Very accurate and I can work the ball like no other 3 wood I have ever owned. Hitting par 5's in two that I didn't previously. If it's a scam, I'm a happy sucker. ;)

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

I was in the golf store today and was looking at hybrids. I took a 22º RBZ and a new 22º Adams Idea Super Hybrid and placed them side by side. I was amazed how much longer the RBZ was. I was curious so I grabbed some other hybrids as well, all with the same result.

I didn't have any time to hit any of them, but I did wonder why the RBZ was so much longer (which suits me as I'm 6'5" with relatively short arms).