Bushnell V2 not accurate. Anyone else?

I realize there will be many that say its very accurate.

Had my first round with mine this weekend. Had a very difficult time keeping it steady enough to target the flag. Every time I would lock on to the flag the pinseeker would come up and I'd give the yardage and everyone in my group would say nope that is not correct.

I would say 7 out of 10 times it was accurate but I was really having a hard time using it to be honest. I use this at my local range with no issues as the flags they use in the greens are posts about 6 inches wide.

Debating going with GPS but I like the fact I can use the laser at the range.

TaylorMade SIM 10.5º | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5
TaylorMade 3W 15º | Diamana Fairway 75 X
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron 20º | Diamana Thump 100 X
TaylorMade P770 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG2 52º & 56º  | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Hi Toe 60º  | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5
TaylorMade TP5 | TP5x

Sun Mountain C-130 Cart Bag

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering if I have a defective one??

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5
TaylorMade TP5 | TP5x

How much was it off and what are you basing the "Accurate" yardage on? I have a Leupold and at the beginning I was somewhat frustrated with it until the learning curve elapsed. If your V2 has a scan mode try that and simply use the smallest yardage you see. Other V2 users should be able to chime in and help you more. Good Luck.

Mine is very accurate. I have a golf logix GPS, a Motorola MOTO ACTV and a Bushnell V2. None are ever outisde of 2-3 yards of eachother. The only problem with the Bushnell is that it CAN sometimes pick up something other than a pin. If you are finding your numbers coming up wrong, spend more time practicing using it and you may find that goes away. Does your course have reflectors on the pins? That's a key to getting it to work more and to pick up the flag, and not a tree in the background.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

About 20 yards.... I was in a tournament over the weekend in a little town and they didnt use pins with the reflectors. Most of the courses I play have reflectors or thicker pins which makes it easier. This might have been a one time deal. It was regularly picking up things behind the green. More practice may be needed.

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5
TaylorMade TP5 | TP5x

[quote name='Jeffvb9' timestamp='1342454262' post='5285402']
About 20 yards.... I was in a tournament over the weekend in a little town and they didnt use pins with the reflectors. Most of the courses I play have reflectors or thicker pins which makes it easier. This might have been a one time deal. It was regularly picking up things behind the green. More practice may be needed.
[/quote]

make sure pinseeker mode is on and try pointing it at the actual flag...not the stick (if no reflectors)

[quote name='ALPINE240' timestamp='1342490728' post='5289494']
[quote name='Jeffvb9' timestamp='1342454262' post='5285402']
[/quote]

make sure pinseeker mode is on and try pointing it at the actual flag...not the stick (if no reflectors)
[/quote]

Yeah I'll take a look again.

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5
TaylorMade TP5 | TP5x

No problems with my V2. You do have to hold it steady and its a bit tougher to get a good read once you get out 200+ yards. If I'm out that far, and have trouble (sometimes depends on what is behind the flag) I usually shoot the ground at the front of the green, or below the pin and get pretty close. Honestly if I'm 250 out, I don't need to know that it is 254 vs 257. I'm not in the "these guys are good" category I guess.

[quote name='Jeffvb9' timestamp='1342450003' post='5284910']
I realize there will be many that say its very accurate.

Had my first round with mine this weekend. Had a very difficult time keeping it steady enough to target the flag. Every time I would lock on to the flag the pinseeker would come up and I'd give the yardage and everyone in my group would say nope that is not correct.

I would say 7 out of 10 times it was accurate but I was really having a hard time using it to be honest. I use this at my local range with no issues as the flags they use in the greens are posts about 6 inches wide.

Debating going with GPS but I like the fact I can use the laser at the range.
[/quote]

I have been using the Bushnell Tour Z6 since April. Trust me, you will get better at picking up the flag. You will figure out ways to steady your aim. As far as trusting the yardage readout, I look around for standard yardage markers like sprinkler heads and 150 yd posts or bushes. That gives me a general idea of the distance that I can expect to see through the rangefinder. I usually shoot the flag two or three times in quick succession to lock in the correct distance. There will always be situations where it is difficult to get the correct distance. For example, when there is a lot of background clutter like trees and shrubs, it can be tough to get a reliable yardage. Personally, I wouldn't go on the course without my rangefinder. I use it virtually every hole.

[quote name='gmangolf' timestamp='1342561723' post='5295046']
No problems with my V2. You do have to hold it steady and its a bit tougher to get a good read once you get out 200+ yards. If I'm out that far, and have trouble (sometimes depends on what is behind the flag) I usually shoot the ground at the front of the green, or below the pin and get pretty close. Honestly if I'm 250 out, I don't need to know that it is 254 vs 257. I'm not in the "these guys are good" category I guess.
[/quote]

+1

When your 200+ i dont think most of us are worried about the exact yardage to the flag, safely in the middle of the green will result in alot more pars than going right for it from that range. I do occasionaly have an issue getting a flag from over 200 if there are trees etc in the back drop, what i typically do then is shoot it in scan mode and shoot the front edge of the green or a bunker first for a referance point.

I have had one since the beginning of the season and find it to be VERY acurate, i have used it numerous times on marked courses and ones that have GPS in their carts and found it right on. I have done some experimentation at the course i play at, and we even used it to mark all the sprinkler heads. Checked those heads against several GPS's that people in our association have and they were within 1-2 yards every time.

915 D4 Hzrdus Black 6.0 <br />915 F D+ 80 S<br />915 HD Rogue 85 S<br />Jpx 850 4-6 Mp25 7-w<br />S5 Blue 50 54 60<br />Scotty Squareback

[quote name='Jeffvb9' timestamp='1342452181' post='5285140']
Wondering if I have a defective one??
[/quote]

That's possible. I got my V2 because a friend had one and it worked well and was easy to use. When we play together we will compare readings and they always read the same. I've had mine for two years now with no problems (still using original battery). I will sometimes stand on the 150 plate at my home course (that's been accurately lasered) and when the group in front walks over what appears to be the center of the green I'll shoot them and usually read 150 plus or minus about a yard. No complaints.

I have had similar problems. I played with several friends who used the V2 and it was always spot on so I purchased one as well. The first round I used it, it was off by ~20 yards (checked against my friends V2) so I took it back and the pro the sold it to me checked it out and agreed it was just defective. I upgraded to the 1600 TE and love that I did. I would say that it does happen, but other than myself, you are the only other person that I have heard it happen to, haha.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

No probs with mine. It's been dead on.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='phillypete' timestamp='1343228650' post='5350466']
I found the biggest problem on elevated greens with nothing behind them. the laser would just not read anything.
[/quote]

Your experiences are wild to me, I've been using a laser (Tour V2) for the last several years with no problems at all. It sounds to me like you either have trouble hitting the flag or have a defective unit. My only problem with mine was the time it fell of my cart and I couldn't find it, then it wasn't so good at shooting pins. Seriously though, I have no idea why anyone that can break 90 would use a GPS unit instead of a laser.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1343531051' post='5371582']

Your experiences are wild to me, [/quote]

wait till I tell you about my college years!

I've been using a laser (Tour V2) for the last several years with no problems at all. It sounds to me like you either have trouble hitting the flag or have a defective unit.[/quote]

I have two kids already, so I don't even care if my unit is working. It's got me into enough trouble already... but how does that relate to lasers?

I don't think it was an issue with hitting the flag because it was always on the same two holes at my former home course that I had issues getting it to read a yardage.

My only problem with mine was the time it fell of my cart and I couldn't find it, then it wasn't so good at shooting pins. Seriously though, I have no idea why anyone that can break 90 would use a GPS unit instead of a laser. [/quote]

I lost mine as well, must be a designed failure.

I'd rather not be serious, but if you insist...

I would argue the opposite. I believe a skilled player can gain more value from the greater amount of information than a less skilled.
A skilled player knows the distance to the pin is often the least important yardage you can have.

A laser can't tell me I want to be short and left to give me the best putting line.

A laser can't tell me that there is only a 7 yard landing area around the pin, and that the best shot is to go for the center.

A laser can't tell me the safe carry, and maximum lay-up to a crossing water hazard

with less and less courses carrying yardage books, I find that if you play more than a couple of courses a laser falls short.

the only downside is that I do not know if anyone who has been able to match up great software and hardware in the same package when it comes to gps.

so until the next iteration of products comes around we may be best sticking with lasers.

Love mine and use it more than I ever thought I would. When I do get a yardage that's way off, it always user error. I shoot the flag again and then I'll get the correct yardage.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

I got mine about 4-5 years ago. Been a good unit. A buddy got a Nikon, and the targeting was so much faster I bought one too. Compared the v2 with the NIkon and v2 is all over the place, sometimes 3-4 yards short, sometimes long. It's crazy, I chalk it up to progress in tech.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year