Training in gym and on the range

jharpergolf

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what you're saying, wish I could train and play every day. Alas, I have to go to work and do other things.

I split my schedule up like this:

Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Weight training
Wednesday - Driving range / Short game / 9 holes
Thursday - Weight training
Friday - Driving range / Short game / 9 holes
Saturday - Early AM weight training
Sunday - 18 holes

As far as recovering from lifting weights, the main thing is sleep and eating well. Supplements like creatine, protein, etc. may also help. I'm sometimes slightly sore on the range, but I find that making sure I warm-up and do some flexibility/rehab work before I start hitting balls can really help.

My weight training is Olympic-style training. The bulk of it is snatches, cleans, squats, and flexibility work.

the previously mentioned workout is designed to improve your overall strength. it uses the 4 main lifts - squats, deads, bench and military press. each main lift is accompanied by assistance exercises. each day you may only do 3 or 4 exercises, 1 being a bench press for example, and the assistance exercises could be cable flies, dips and ab wheel. but obviously you can tailor the program so the assistance work is benefitting your golf game. a lot of gains will be had when you work on these basic lifts with the correct plan.

in saying this, the lifts are very easy to get wrong and i would not suggest starting anything new without the proper guidance. you don't want to throw out your back in the gym

[quote name='jharpergolf' timestamp='1344531379' post='5437602']
Do you have a link I could look at that shows something to do with the golf swing cause all I see is big weight lifters, I don't want to bulk up just want to be fast and strong, really fast and not sore.
[/quote]

the athletes that use this program in the nil don't do it to get massive. they do it because the sport requires short, explosive bursts of energy. which is kind of what golf requires. there are videos of football players that are around the 300pound mark doing a box jump as high as your shoulders. which is an amazing explosive jump for anyone let alone someone carrying that much mass.

im not saying its the be all and end all but it is an effective way to train without waking up sore the next day

Look what power athletes like sprinters, throwers and jumpers do. They don't try to peak all year round, that is impossible! They train themselves into the ground throughout the winter and then recover during the summer with a taper period for the major event. Pick when your major events are and periodise your training towards it.

Search Joe Miller training and diet on google/ YouTube

How many sets and reps are we talking? Sounds cool back in high school I lifted heavy and felt if I continued I would hurt my game so I'm kinda scared to do it, after high school never lifted heavy again but sounds like it could be worth trying with proper technique. Also is this off season workout or in?

I have training plan of Malcolm Arnold who has coached Colin Jackson and currently coaches Dai Greene and Lawrence Clarke both Olympic finalists this week.

I adapted it to suit my swimming Programme. Starts with a hypertrophy/ volume/ base phase and then 2 strength phases and then speed and taper. Will post at lunch today.

If you'd like a list of exercises, I recommend the following for a beginner. I also recommend finding a coach/gym where you can watch others, have them watch you, etc... make sure you're doing the lifts correctly.

Power Snatch
Power Clean
Overhead Press
Squat
Pull-ups
Core work
Flexibility work

I would not recommend heavy deadlifting, as I feel it makes your lower back too sore for golf. Even professional athletes who specialize in fast and precise movements will rarely do heavy dealifts because it puts them out of heavy training for 2-3 days as their lower back recovers.

I agree with Lefty1987 that if you're trying to copy someone's workout, look at what power athletes are doing. Olympic lifters, sprinters, throwers, jumpers, etc. BUT... realize they have been training for years and are accustomed to a huge workload. You will have to copy the general theme of their training, but you cannot start with anywhere near the volume they are doing.

[quote name='jharpergolf' timestamp='1344529718' post='5437460']
Thanks I looked up the workout but it looks like if done improperly could cause bad injuries and also looks like I would be sore lifting heavy even if it's less reps, I'm just trying to find a happy medium, training for long drive next year
[/quote]

You don't have to be very strong to hit the ball a long way. Tiger hit it miles when he was young and he was a bean pole. Sadlowski is tiny and I think he's had a little success. As far as you not wanting to get bulky...getting bulky to the point where you'll restrict movement is way harder than you think it is. If you're going to lift, I'd suggest buying a book called "Sarting Strength" and following the program. It's great for overall strength training for gym noobs and the cleans will actually help build some of the "explosive" muscle you're looking for.

Yes if you get bulky, you have to hit harder and lose swing speed, while the leaner guys still swing faster and need to rely on speed to get there. Heck, I was 270, couldnt get to 1175 to save my life!! after losing nearly 100lbs in 6 mnths last year and keeping leaner this year I am in the high 190's.....So its a combo of both really, but never rely on bulk to get you the power. Find the middle ground for your body, were all different. Sads is lean but not bones and skin. He has a lot of muscle on him and they are all working as fast twitch. The one guy to get both power AND Speed is Winther. Not only the fastest out there but pushing 230 easily at 6ft+....

#YumaMade #YTown

• 2 weeks later...

I just sit there and see how fast I can swing the club and hit the ball haha...really....biggest thing to do when trying to swing faster, just SWING FASTER!! Really thats it to do. I do not have a lighter head or use the whippy deals some of our guys have. I just sit there and swing faster and then try and swing faster than that.....Remember you need to get your muscles use to swinging fast with the weight you have there.

#YumaMade #YTown

explosive combo lifts are great, for example squat thrusts, and cleans

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• 3 weeks later...

[size=3]I've been out of golf for a while, mostly focused on lifting weights as I'm a certified trainer. From when I really played a lot of golf, to now, I've put on about 50 lbs. When I got back into golf, I found I haven't lost anything - as far as that whole myth goes about bulking up and losing your swing.

1) Maintaining flexibility is key.

2) You aren't going to get bulky if you aren't eating for it.. period.

3) Focus on compound lifts.. squats, deadlifts..etc.

As another poster mentioned.. the juggernaut. I do the 5/3/1 which is as he described. 4 core lifts, bench, squat, deadlift and overhead press - you do each one each day then have accessory lifts which can be specific to your sport or needs.[/size]

[quote name='molecularman' timestamp='1348448615' post='5683171']
[size=3]I've been out of golf for a while, mostly focused on lifting weights as I'm a certified trainer. From when I really played a lot of golf, to now, I've put on about 50 lbs. When I got back into golf, I found I haven't lost anything - as far as that whole myth goes about bulking up and losing your swing.

1) Maintaining flexibility is key.

2) You aren't going to get bulky if you aren't eating for it.. period.

3) Focus on compound lifts.. squats, deadlifts..etc.

As another poster mentioned.. the juggernaut. I do the 5/3/1 which is as he described. 4 core lifts, bench, squat, deadlift and overhead press - you do each one each day then have accessory lifts which can be specific to your sport or needs.[/size]
[/quote]

Good shout. Cleans, snatches and split jerks are worth the mention as well.

• 5 months later...

I'm working on getting less fat... and my motivation is to improve distance...

I bought some terrible fitness book on Amazon... it had some decent excercises, but nothing that interesting.

What I'm doing:
Lifting at least three days a week (MWF) and possibly Sat/Sun after 18.
Playing golf Tues, Thursday and over the weekend.

For the next 4-6 weeks, I'm on a split of
Legs/Shoulders
Chest/Triceps
Back/Biceps

I'm adding in other excercises that I think will help my golf game:
Core stuff (planks, situps)
I'm trying to improve my turn... so I will trunk excercises that I've done with trainers but have no idea what they are called...
Stretching fairly obsessively... mainly back stretches and I've tried to incorporate some yoga stuff in (and do yoga transititons... downward dog to cobra to plank and such)

I've just started getting back into it, but my goal is to drive #5 at my club, which is something like a 320 yard carry up a hill (I haven't actually measured it). I think it's doable for me.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1344602971' post='5443198']
If you'd like a list of exercises, I recommend the following for a beginner. I also recommend finding a coach/gym where you can watch others, have them watch you, etc... make sure you're doing the lifts correctly.

Power Snatch
Power Clean
Overhead Press
Squat
Pull-ups
Core work
Flexibility work

I would not recommend heavy deadlifting, as I feel it makes your lower back too sore for golf. Even professional athletes who specialize in fast and precise movements will rarely do heavy dealifts because it puts them out of heavy training for 2-3 days as their lower back recovers.

I agree with Lefty1987 that if you're trying to copy someone's workout, look at what power athletes are doing. Olympic lifters, sprinters, throwers, jumpers, etc. BUT... realize they have been training for years and are accustomed to a huge workload. You will have to copy the general theme of their training, but you cannot start with anywhere near the volume they are doing.
[/quote]
I recommend deadlifting. One of the greatest exercises ever. Also Bench press and heavy arm training.

• 4 weeks later...

It makes me chuckle when people say they do not want to get bulky...

How long do you think you would need to workout - hard, to get bulky? It isn't something that happens overnight.

I worked out for years. Heavy olympic style weight lifting. How much weight did I gain? 10 lbs, granted bf was low and I am only 5'9". My weight went from 155 to roughly 167 with heavy lifting, heavy protein intake and lots and lots of creatine. My stats increased by roughly 100 lbs in bench and squats and I was not bulky - just strong.

To me... the only weights worth lifting are heavy weights. Why workout at less than your maximum capacity? Obviously, I do not think you should sacrifice form for weight - but if you have the correct form - why would not lift the most you can?

Sure... you are sore during the first month or two, but after that it woud really take a hell of a workout to get sore again.

As long as your diet is somewhat correct and you remember to stretch before workouts, after workouts, before hitting, etc. you shouldn't lose any flexibility in your golf swing.

You can't change your muscle twitch fibers much - they are either quick (small) or slow (long).

I could lift, swing, train, and my swing speed will never reach that of Jamie Sadlowski's.

But... just lift! You will not get bulky unless your diet is trash.

[quote name='KangarooLefty' timestamp='1366726008' post='6899587']
It makes me chuckle when people say they do not want to get bulky...

How long do you think you would need to workout - hard, to get bulky? It isn't something that happens overnight.[/quote]

+1. This cracks me up too. Most people have ZERO idea on what it takes to "get bulky". Gaining a pound of muscle is no easy task. Losing a pound of fat is pretty easy.

[Quote]To me... the only weights worth lifting are heavy weights. Why workout at less than your maximum capacity? Obviously, I do not think you should sacrifice form for weight - but if you have the correct form - why would not lift the most you can?[/quote]

I'm glad you prefaced this with "To me....". There are a lot of reasons not to lift heavy. I'm 53 years old, been in the gym a lot of years. Don't need to lift heavy any more. After a while the joints and other parts don't take kindly to the stress. I find at my age Plyometrics is a great workout in addition to lifting.

[quote]Sure... you are sore during the first month or two, but after that it woud really take a hell of a workout to get sore again.[/quote]

True. People that workout regularly don't usually get sore.

[quote]As long as your diet is somewhat correct and you remember to stretch before workouts, after workouts, before hitting, etc. you shouldn't lose any flexibility in your golf swing.

You can't change your muscle twitch fibers much - they are either quick (small) or slow (long).

I could lift, swing, train, and my swing speed will never reach that of Jamie Sadlowski's.

But... just lift! You will not get bulky unless your diet is trash.
[/quote]

Yep. Get bulky with table muscle.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

Hey I'm 53 too. Been in gym for years also. As far as muscle killing your swing speed. One word "Zuback!"

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).