Strangest thing that you have seen on the golf course.

I should be working but a recent event that took place on the golf course had me thinking. So I am curious what is the strangest/funniest thing that has happened on the course while playing? I recently was playing at a golf course. I was on the first green when I heard a very loud bang, it almost sounded like an explosion and out of the corner of my eye I see this huge bright orange Hot Air balloon come crashing down on the second tee box and completely destroy the tee box because the basket was dragged across the entire tee box. The pilot of the balloon was okay but he ended up falling out of the balloon as it tore down the fairway.

#Mizuno
#PlayFamously
#TeamJPX

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a Blue Herron try to land in a tree. As it came in, it realized it was all wrong, put on the brakes, missed its target, and hooked it's feet around the branch. Now it flips around, said branch, hit the ground and pop up, looking around asia to see if any one saw what just happened. Yes, Mr. Herron, I saw the whole thing.

Saw a hawk just yesterday land in a tree.....on a broken branch. SNAP! Yup, just like the great blue heron above. Only he and I saw it and it was quite funny.....to me. Saw a cottonmouth near a pond and my ball. That was funny...... to him and not me.
Saw a family drive a golf cart right across a green. Not funny to anyone.

A buddy of mine was at our company tourney and after several holes they began to tee off when they saw a SWAT team crossing the fairway to arrest someone. Needless to say they didn't really know what to do and had to skip a few holes to carry on. True story... I laughed my bottom off. This was in Tucson, AZ by the way.

Not on the course myself but bizarre as heII..

Wife and I are in Hawaii eating lunch on the balcony edge of a local restaurant known for it's view of the course, cliffs and ocean. It essentially overlooks a Par 3 and then the cliffs, bay & ocean beyond.

It was a great day. Sunny with a few passing clouds, low humidity and a mild breeze coming off the ocean. We were pretty much just enjoying some beer & snacks while soaking in the greatness that is Hawaii. There was no one else on the balcony but us and we were doing the kind chillaxin' that puts your eyelids halfway down and your brain on cruise.

Sitting about 20-30 yards off the far end of the green is, what looks like the male side of a local family.. A father and his small sons. They're just kind of enjoying the water and watchin' the planes come in as well. It was a little odd, but they seemed far enough away from the green and Hawaii has lots of cool "community beach" rules so I didn't think too much of it.

Everything is fine until a foursome had the bad luck to show up at the wrong time.

The first of the foursome hits a nice high ball that lands about 4' from the hole and then just stops. Just as I'm thinking "nice shot" I see movement from where the local family is.

One of the kids gets up, runs onto the green and does a baseball slide into next to the golfball. He picks it up and darts back to his father and brother.

My eyelids pop up and I'm not sure I actually saw it happen. I look back at the golfers and the guy who hit has his arms in the air with the universal look of "WTF?" he keeps waiting, but the family goes back to looking at the ocean like nothing happened.

"Ya, that did just happen" I realize..

My wife is facing the golfers and doesn't see the "event." She just thinks the golfer had a bad shot and goes back to looking at the ocean.

Rousing her from her Beerawaii stupor I exclaim "Honey, you gotta watch this!". I'm expecting the four golfers to come charging over to retrieve their buddies ball.

Nope.

The second guy hits. Now we're both watching as the ball hits the green. Another nice shot. BAM!, the kid is up like a sprinter heading for the ball. I'm laughing hard as he slides into the green and snags his second ball. He's back to dad before the second golfer starts yelling. We can hear him, but I think the mild breeze is keeping his shouts away from the family. Or maybe they're just ignoring him. Regardless, the guy is not getting his ball back anytime soon. I look at my wife and say "Welcome to Hawaii".

We both stare on, in a sort of stunned laugh-fest, as ball number 3 and 4 are a replay of the first two. It's like watching a reality prank show, but I can't see anyone hiding with cameras anywhere.

After the 4th guy hits, they all drive up to the green. Dad gets up and, trailed by his sons, meets the golfers on the green. He holds out his hand politely hands the balls back to the golfers. The guys are all staring at each other, not really sure what to do as the local and his sons walk off the green and down the path.

Not more than 2 minutes later the Marshall shows up as they are putting out, but the family is long gone. We went back to our beer & nachos and laugh about it every few years.

"Welcome to Hawaii!"

A drunk black bear on the 9th fairway. He got into a tree full of mountain ash berries late in the fall after serious frostsaand they fermented.
Really funny to watch him staggering around, weaving and bobbing.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

I've ran into a ton of people who smoke joints on the golf course..People I never would have thought did that as well.

Best thing I saw was a house on the course..

House owner keeps his parrot outside on the porch every saturday morning I guess

After he hears a loud smack from a club, he squawks "Nice Shot Assh0le"

I peed myself a little the first time I played in the Saturday money game, damn bird

Found 3 fellas in Tuxedo's sleeping in a bunker on the 3rd hole during an early morning round... decided not to wake them and carry on.

Also saw a wooden garden shed in the middle of the first fairway with a banner on it reading, "Feel free to make a cup of tea for yourself while waiting for the green", turns out it was a member (who happens to sell garden equipment) protesting about slow play, he took the shed away a couple of hours later but a photo of it remained in the club house for several years as a "reminder".

Saturday morning Jr National tournament. The putting green was closed for reseeding so #9 on one of the 9's that wasn't being used was a temporary putting green for the tournament. The tournament director pulled her cart over to look for a couple golfers. Her wooden box that holds tees, scorecards, etc.. slides off the seat and onto the gas pedal. Cart proceeds to drive across the green directly into the lake. It took a backhoe to lift the cart out. No damage to the green but the cart was a mess. Listening to the conversation between her and the guy in the proshop over the walkies was priceless. "There's a cart in the lake next to #9, there can't be I just counted all of my carts, no you don't understand my cart just drove across the green and into the lake"

[size=4][sub][sub][color=#222222]People fornicating, drug users, animals of all shapes and sizes you name it. [/color][/sub][/sub][/size]

[size=4][sub][color=#222222][/color][/sub][/size]
[size=4][sub][sub][color=#222222]Here in Detroit the strangest thing is probably the homeless hordes that often live in the woods next to courses here. It's common knowledge that you don't go into the woods here to look for a ball or you will most likely be robbed. At dusk most of them start to move out on the course to get returnable cans and any food they can get from the garbage. If you are playing at that time it's also a good idea not to be on the back nine as a single lol! A lot of dudes can end up having a conversation with four or five guys that magically appear out of nowhere who are hoping for some kindness in the form of a financial donation. [/color][/sub][/sub][/size]
[sub][color=#222222][size=2][/size][/color][/sub]

^and that is why I'll avoid Detroit at all costs

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1347540000' post='5633513']
[size=4][sub][sub][color=#222222]People fornicating, drug users, animals of all shapes and sizes you name it. [/color][/sub][/sub][/size]

[size=4][sub][sub][color=#222222]Here in Detroit the strangest thing is probably the homeless hordes that often live in the woods next to courses here. It's common knowledge that you don't go into the woods here to look for a ball or you will most likely be robbed. At dusk most of them start to move out on the course to get returnable cans and any food they can get from the garbage. If you are playing at that time it's also a good idea not to be on the back nine as a single lol! A lot of dudes can end up having a conversation with four or five guys that magically appear out of nowhere who are hoping for some kindness in the form of a financial donation. [/color][/sub][/sub][/size]

[/quote]

Seriously? What course we talking about? Chandler Park? Palmer Park?

[quote name='oldyaler' timestamp='1347478737' post='5630257']
[quote name='bwcorserat' timestamp='1347478546' post='5630247']
2 road runners mating. They were on the cartpath so I drove around out of common courtesy.
[/quote]LOL. Did you say "meep, meep" as you drove by.
[/quote]No, but I think I heard Marvin Gaye, womp,womp,womp,wyomp, I've been really trying baby. Maybe that was just what I thought I heard but it was very appropriate.

Mizuno JPX 850 driver
Mizuno JPX 850 3 wood
MP H5 3 & 4 iron
MP 64 5-PW
MP T5 wedges 52, 56, 60
Jar It Putters - Square 1 ST

Tee box at a local course is framed by trees, but also has a high voltage power line that runs across, perhaps 80 yards out, maybe 15 yards high. The sort of thing you generally ignore. Playing there recently, first one of our foursome hits driver, smacks the power line and bounces directly back, almost to the tee. Pretty rare, but happens on occasion, right? Well, I step up and do exactly the same thing, whack and the ball is back nearly on the tee box. Bizarre.

[quote name='Bazzer' timestamp='1347551821' post='5634429']
Tee box at a local course is framed by trees, but also has a high voltage power line that runs across, perhaps 80 yards out, maybe 15 yards high. The sort of thing you generally ignore. Playing there recently, first one of our foursome hits driver, smacks the power line and bounces directly back, almost to the tee. Pretty rare, but happens on occasion, right? Well, I step up and do exactly the same thing, whack and the ball is back nearly on the tee box. Bizarre.
[/quote]

The local course has power lines across the #9 and #15 tees, they make a pretty distinctive sound when you manage to tag them. Never had a ball bounce back to the tee, or hit 2 in a row into them before though.

A foursome of lefties. 1 in 346,487,124,000.

Callaway Fusion 9* KK XT
Callaway Fusion 15* VTS Black
Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood 20.5* Tensei CK Blue
Mizuno JPX EZ 4 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-P Adila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland CBX 50 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland CBX 54 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 58 Aldila RIP 115
MannKrafted Putter Du Jour

20 wild turkeys walked across 4s tee then across the fwy on 6...They were not in a hurry either...

[color=#0066ff][b]Ping G400 Max 10.5*[/b][/color] [size=1]Aldila Rogue Silver 130ts[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Callaway Epic Flash 15*[/b][/color] [size=1]Aldila Rogue Black 130ts[/size][size=1][/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Ping G410 21*[/b][/color] [size=1]Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95ts[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Mizuno MP20 4-P[/b][/color] [size=1]Project X LZ 6.0[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Mizuno T20 50*, 54*[/b][/color] [size=1]Project X LZ 6.0[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Callaway Jaws MD5 60*[/b][/color] [size=1]Project X 6.0[/size]
[color=#ff0000][b]Taylormade Spider[/b][/color]