2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Scotland May '13

4Par

Just found out my wife and kids have been planning this trip behind my back ! I'm turning 50, kids are doing great in college, and the wife just loves to travel..... We've never done anything like this though.....

My son and I will be playing, wife and daughter sightseeing and shopping....

So far they've arranged for rounds at Royal Dornoch, Carnoustie, and the Trump course. Waiting to hear if our request to St Andrews is affirmed.

Any and all recommendations are welcomed as we prepare fo our trip!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you play Gleneagles. I would really recommend either the Kings or the Queens course over the course on which they will play the RC in 2014. the older courses are beautiful and their setting iin the glen is magical. The newer course is a modern design that could and has been replicated all over the world.

I also second the Kingsbarns comment, the OLD Course has to be done for the experience but for golfing reasons play Kingsbarns or the New course which runs alongside the OLD.

Enjoy - you will.

trump course is still not in great condition... been so wet here this year!!! hopefully by May it will be good though for yourself...

but reviews have been perfect on it... long not amazingly tight but dont miss the fairways!!!

If you are here to play trump - certainly play Royal Aberdeen - amazing condition this year and still the best golf course round here... and for an easier, more scenic course Cruden Bay...

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

[quote name='Deceptively Short' timestamp='1350027670' post='5784307']
If you play Gleneagles. I would really recommend either the Kings or the Queens course over the course on which they will play the RC in 2014. the older courses are beautiful and their setting iin the glen is magical. The newer course is a modern design that could and has been replicated all over the world.

I also second the Kingsbarns comment, the OLD Course has to be done for the experience but for golfing reasons play Kingsbarns or the New course which runs alongside the OLD.

Enjoy - you will.
[/quote]

My understanding is that if we are granted a tee time at the Old Course we must play one of the other courses there as well. So we may not have an opportunity to go play Kingsbarns

But if we take a chance and just attempt to 'walk on' the Old Course as a twosome we won't have to play one of the others..... so it's likely we could go to Kingsbarns...... gotta make a decision here.....

[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1350059943' post='5785493']
[quote name='Deceptively Short' timestamp='1350027670' post='5784307']

Enjoy - you will.
[/quote]

My understanding is that if we are granted a tee time at the Old Course we must play one of the other courses there as well. So we may not have an opportunity to go play Kingsbarns

But if we take a chance and just attempt to 'walk on' the Old Course as a twosome we won't have to play one of the others..... so it's likely we could go to Kingsbarns...... gotta make a decision here.....
[/quote]

That wasn't my experience. We could have played any of the other Trust courses the day we played the Old, but it wasn't required. Kingsbarns is a real treat.

My understanding is that if we are granted a tee time at the Old Course we must play one of the other courses there as well.
[/quote]

You are correct. If you submitted your application to the St Andrews Links Trust when they opened up for 2013 applications last month, the rule is that in order to reserve a tee time on the Old Course, you are required to also commit to play a second Links Trust Course. The two course policy has been in effect for advance reservations for some time. They started to accept 2013 applications on Sept 5. On September 10 the Links Trust website said that[color=#000000] "[u][b][size=2]due to the volume of applications received, the Old Course is now fully booked from April through to October 2013 inclusive for groups and single golfers." [/size][/b][/u][/color]

[color=#000000][b][size=2]They said that for those applicants who got their applications in before then, they would hear about whether or not they receive an Old Course tee time by October 31. Has anyone heard yet?[/size][/b][/color]

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1350691546' post='5819025']
My understanding is that if we are granted a tee time at the Old Course we must play one of the other courses there as well.
[/quote]

You are correct. If you submitted your application to the St Andrews Links Trust when they opened up for 2013 applications last month, the rule is that in order to reserve a tee time on the Old Course, you are required to also commit to play a second Links Trust Course. The two course policy has been in effect for advance reservations for some time. They started to accept 2013 applications on Sept 5. On September 10 the Links Trust website said that[color=#000000] "[u][b][size=2]due to the volume of applications received, the Old Course is now fully booked from April through to October 2013 inclusive for groups and single golfers." [/size][/b][/u][/color]

[color=#000000][b][size=2]They said that for those applicants who got their applications in before then, they would hear about whether or not they receive an Old Course tee time by October 31. Has anyone heard yet?[/size][/b][/color]
[/quote]

My wife did get our request in on Sep 5th and no, we haven't heard if we were selected yet.......

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1350901696' post='5826751']
"My wife did get our request in on Sep 5th and no, we haven't heard if we were selected yet......."

We are only 9 days from the deadline. I wish we would have had a response already. Good luck. Hope you get the tee times you want.
[/quote]

also in same boat - sent app in right when it opened, haven't heard yet either. getting anxious.

[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1351166804' post='5843213']
Well, while we wait....... (cool) ....... My trip is in May ..... 9 - 19 I believe..... any of you guys going then?
[/quote]

Just got my tee time this morning. My trip will overlap with most of yours. Hope youand the others on the thread received your tee times. Cheers!

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1351251963' post='5848733']
[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1351166804' post='5843213']
Well, while we wait....... (cool) ....... My trip is in May ..... 9 - 19 I believe..... any of you guys going then?
[/quote]

Just got my tee time this morning. My trip will overlap with most of yours. Hope youand the others on the thread received your tee times. Cheers!
[/quote]

I didn't get the Old Course.... damn.... New and Jubilee......

[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1349957210' post='5780033']
Just found out my wife and kids have been planning this trip behind my back ! I'm turning 50, kids are doing great in college, and the wife just loves to travel..... We've never done anything like this though.....

So far they've arranged for rounds at Royal Dornoch, Carnoustie, and the Trump course. Waiting to hear if our request to St Andrews is affirmed.

[/quote]

Hi

I live in Scotland, so am in a pretty good position to comment. Dornoch will not disappoint, its simply wonderful! But if you are up that way, dont discount Brora. Sheep and cattle on the course, wild and windswept, just awesome.

Cruden Bay is an amazing experience, some really quirky holes but its an amazing adventure. I agree, dont miss out Royal Aberdeen, its absolutely princely!

I personally would stay away from Trumps dump! Sorry but as a Scot, that man has trampled all over the locals, and bought the Scottish Governments' approval. Peoples homes were bulldozed to make way for his corporate ways. There are fishermen and farmers intimidated and turfed off their land after generations of living off that land and coastline, and Trump calls them 'slums'. He is a disgrace, with no respect for Scotland or the Scottish people. Trust me, the people of Aberdeenshire are angry. The Scots are a proud nation, and to have this man come over here and do what he has done is reprehensable. Trump has lied and bullied all the way along. I, as a Scot am not alone, when I say that we are not happy with this golf course. Very few locals have jobs there, he imports cheap labour from abroad, whilst kicking people out of their homes. The Course was built on a Government registered Site of Special Scientific Interest, Dunes were levelled, and flora and fauna delicate ecosystem has been destroyed. Sorry to rant, but as a Scot I wouldn't buy a coffee in the Clubhouse, let alone pay $290 to play there. If you want corporate nonsense, fine. But if you want a true taste of Scotland and Scottish Golf, and to experience the friendly locals, then look elsewhere.

There are plenty of Traditional great courses in that area. In addition, don't forget Carnoustie (bring lots of golf balls), Check out Panmure, Monifieth, Royal Montrose. And of course too many to mention in Fife.

I live in Prestwick,on the West Coast, so if you felt like travelling, you would be welcome to be my guest to come play Prestwick St Nicholas, Prestwick Old, Royal Troon, or Western Gailles. All within 10 mins of where I live. And if you Google them, you'll see how wonderful they all are.

Hope to hear from you.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1351281733' post='5851025']

[/quote]

Hi

I live in Scotland, so am in a pretty good position to comment. Dornoch will not disappoint, its simply wonderful! But if you are up that way, dont discount Brora. Sheep and cattle on the course, wild and windswept, just awesome.

Cruden Bay is an amazing experience, some really quirky holes but its an amazing adventure. I agree, dont miss out Royal Aberdeen, its absolutely princely!

I personally would stay away from Trumps dump! Sorry but as a Scot, that man has trampled all over the locals, and bought the Scottish Governments' approval. Peoples homes were bulldozed to make way for his corporate ways. There are fishermen and farmers intimidated and turfed off their land after generations of living off that land and coastline, and Trump calls them 'slums'. He is a disgrace, with no respect for Scotland or the Scottish people. Trust me, the people of Aberdeenshire are angry. The Scots are a proud nation, and to have this man come over here and do what he has done is reprehensable. Trump has lied and bullied all the way along. I, as a Scot am not alone, when I say that we are not happy with this golf course. Very few locals have jobs there, he imports cheap labour from abroad, whilst kicking people out of their homes. The Course was built on a Government registered Site of Special Scientific Interest, Dunes were levelled, and flora and fauna delicate ecosystem has been destroyed. Sorry to rant, but as a Scot I wouldn't buy a coffee in the Clubhouse, let alone pay $290 to play there. If you want corporate nonsense, fine. But if you want a true taste of Scotland and Scottish Golf, and to experience the friendly locals, then look elsewhere.

There are plenty of Traditional great courses in that area. In addition, don't forget Carnoustie (bring lots of golf balls), Check out Panmure, Monifieth, Royal Montrose. And of course too many to mention in Fife.

I live in Prestwick,on the West Coast, so if you felt like travelling, you would be welcome to be my guest to come play Prestwick St Nicholas, Prestwick Old, Royal Troon, or Western Gailles. All within 10 mins of where I live. And if you Google them, you'll see how wonderful they all are.

Hope to hear from you.
[/quote]

Thank you for the generous invite....! Much of the trip has been planned and comitted by my family so I'll have to see what flexibility we have ... I'd love to get to Prestwick or Royal Troon.... I'll keep you posted.

[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1351282881' post='5851115']

[/quote]

Hi

Hope to hear from you.
[/quote]

Thank you for the generous invite....! Much of the trip has been planned and comitted by my family so I'll have to see what flexibility we have ... I'd love to get to Prestwick or Royal Troon.... I'll keep you posted.
[/quote]

I fully understand that you will have a tight itinerary and schedule. It could be impossible to fit in. But the invite is there if you like. Prestwick is amazing. Blind tee shots. Par 3's where you can't even see the green, Tough sloping greens, and heather that is vicious, but oh boy its fun!! Royal Troon is class, wonderful condition, very professionally run, and amazing holes like the 'postage stamp' and 'The Railway' hole. And don't forget 20 miles down the road is Turnberry!!!

Sorry, I shouldn't do this to you!

Regards

I live in Prestwick,on the West Coast, so if you felt like travelling, you would be welcome to be my guest to come play Prestwick St Nicholas, Prestwick Old, Royal Troon, or Western Gailles. All within 10 mins of where I live.
[/quote]

Jay65 - You are a lucky man. My visit to Prestwick is one of my greatest golfing memories. Western Gailes is a must play! The members there and at Glasgow Gailes were extremely welcoming. Prestwick is very cool. I stayed at a B&B called Sandhill House which overlooks Royal Troon. Elaine and her family (and most of the folks I met in Ayrshire) made me feel right at home. If my visit to East Lothian and Fife nest year are half that good I'll be in heaven.

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1351288819' post='5851589']
I live in Prestwick,on the West Coast, so if you felt like travelling, you would be welcome to be my guest to come play Prestwick St Nicholas, Prestwick Old, Royal Troon, or Western Gailles. All within 10 mins of where I live.
[/quote]

Jay65 - You are a lucky man. My visit to Prestwick is one of my greatest golfing memories. Western Gailes is a must play! The members there and at Glasgow Gailes were extremely welcoming. Prestwick is very cool. I stayed at a B&B called Sandhill House which overlooks Royal Troon. Elaine and her family (and most of the folks I met in Ayrshire) made me feel right at home. If my visit to East Lothian and Fife nest year are half that good I'll be in heaven.
[/quote]

Hi

Thank you for your input. I know where Sandhill House is. Just off the Craigend Road, and I have heard some really good stories about it. Its very reasonably priced too.

Living up here as I do, maybe I should start up a Golf Tour Service for GolfWrx readers? Lol.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1351288819' post='5851589']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi Sabram,

When in 2013 are you visiting East Lothian & Fife?

I live in Edinburgh, so if you need any local info re courses, hotels, travel etc feel free to ask away.

Also, if you fancy a round at my course, which is Baberton GC in Edinburgh, then PM me nearer the time.

Just back from there

Got onto Muirfield and was winded out (arghh)

I loved Kingsbarns and Carnoustie.

Carnoustie is a bear, no side to bail out on in most cases

Got on the Old twice thru ballot ...awesome. This was the week before the Dunhill Links. Course was superb but we played in some crazy winds. Loved 17/18.

Really a fair course and it is incredible to see all the holes live that you have seen for yrs on TV. If you don't get on, walk it on a Sunday .. 11th green is NUTS

Unlike most others I enjoyed Castle. Beside Kingsbarns but with wild greens .. views are outstanding. Take it for what it is, fun/hard golf hard on the ocean

Jubilee was OK from holes 1-7, but from 8-18 it was great. WOW ! We played the tips and the last 10 into a 30mph the wind were something else

New was also pretty good, but a lot of the holes are the same IMO ... 9th hole is a peach.

Before you go ....

- learn how to putt from 10 yards off a green, though I did putt from 66 yards once at Kingsbarns.
- learn how to hit growling low draws with all clubs, think 20 feet off the ground
- learn how to hit sideways out of bunkers
- learn how to hit 8/9/PW off the back foot .. lies are tight & firm over there

Prep your liver for superb smooth old single malts

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1352347163' post='5906297']
So I've decided to, most likely, pass on Trump's course..... Would you folks suggest Cruden Bay or Royal Aberdeen as a replacement?
[/quote]

Oooooh, thats sucha tough call. Cruden is quirky and fun, with lots of blind tee shots, dog leg par 3's over dunes, its a crazy rollercoaster ride. Royal Aberdeen is just pure class, is more formal, awesome course condition, but it will make you feel like a pro, no matter how many balls you lose! Lol. Seriously though, its really difficult to choose between the two. Have you checked out their websites?

Jay

So I've decided to, most likely, pass on Trump's course..... Would you folks suggest Cruden Bay or Royal Aberdeen as a replacement?
[/quote]

from my dad being a member of both and me hopefully being a member of Royal Aberdeen come March -

Cruden Bay is the easier of the 2 - some lovely holes.... except the 15th!!! some good views.... some quirky and fun holes.... like the 2 which is a 4 iron off the tee to leave a SW in or you can almost hit the green with a 2 iron... similar on the 3rd...

Royal Aberdeen is an awesome but really hard golf course... Very tight and by far the better test of golf... The wind makes such a difference - i have gone out in 2 under and come back in 14 over before...

I play both monthly in the summer months and look forward to Royal Aberdeen more than Cruden Bay.... the pic there for my profile is the 8th tee at Cruden Bay

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1352367452' post='5906775']
[/quote]

from my dad being a member of both and me hopefully being a member of Royal Aberdeen come March -

Cruden Bay is the easier of the 2 - some lovely holes.... except the 15th!!! some good views.... some quirky and fun holes.... like the 2 which is a 4 iron off the tee to leave a SW in or you can almost hit the green with a 2 iron... similar on the 3rd...

Royal Aberdeen is an awesome but really hard golf course... Very tight and by far the better test of golf... The wind makes such a difference - i have gone out in 2 under and come back in 14 over before...

I play both monthly in the summer months and look forward to Royal Aberdeen more than Cruden Bay.... the pic there for my profile is the 8th tee at Cruden Bay
[/quote]

I agree. I was simply playing far better the day I played Royal Aberdeen, it was relatively calm (for Aberdeenshire!), so I went round in 2 over par. And for that reason I found it pretty straightforward. But I have played Cruden a number of times, and its always been blowing inside out, so have always struggled, but always enjoyed Cruden, no matter how poorly I played,but from a strictly golfing point of view, I guess you are right. Its a tough call to choose though. Personally I would try and get an early tee time at Royal Aberdeen then shoot 20 miles up the road and play Cruden in the afternoon!! Lol.

[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1352375073' post='5906873']
Thanks guys.... I like the Play 'em both! suggestion!!.......
[/quote]

So do I! Wink!! Seriously though, if your time allows, you should be able to get an early tee time at one of them, and an afternoon tee time at the other. It shouldn't be a major problem to be honest. You will absolutely love both of them. If you need any help, just give me a shout? I'm always happy to help as much as I can.