Scotland May '13

4Par

definitely do Royal Aberdeen first... if you play early in the morning its like a ghost town except the odd group of old men!!! i think i have played there 6 times this year where we saw no one or as we were playing the 18th saw some folk on the first...

cruden bay does get busy... sometimes blocks of 2 hours before you can play but that seems busier in the morning...

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread going here!!!

I'm going to be part of a group of 4 that will be over there just about 10 days before you (April 26th-May 4th.) We've been planning since November of last year and can't believe we are now just inside 6 months - as are you!

Our itinerary has us heading up to the Highlands for the first 3 days (Fri-Sun) and playing Nairn then Castle Stuart then Royal Dornoch. We are all really really looking forward to Dornoch.

Then down to St. Andrews with a stop on the travel day (Mon) to play Carnoustie on Mon afternoon.

We luckily were successful on TOC advanced times and have a time for 7:50 on the New on Tues and 2:10 on TOC that afternoon.

Wed. is our only day yet TBD but we are thinking of trying the ballot for TOC again and pair it with Kingsbarns or Crail or Leven/Lundin etc. We also want to have a putting match on the Himalayas course.

Thurs. is Muirfield, we booked for the full 36 holes with foursomes in the afternoon.

Friday is Gullane No. 1 and North Berwick in the afternoon.

'Tis a very aggressive itinerary but we are up for the challenge. It was certainly difficult leaving the West Coast and Aberdeen area off the list but that just means we'll hit again some day.

If I was to make one comment, and this has come from numerous people who we know that have been to Scotland, they have suggested to us that if there's any chance we could fit Cruden Bay into our trip to try and do it. The course in their opinion is that unique and memorable and fun. But if you have the option for a Royal Aberdeen/Cruden double dip, by all means pursue it!!

[quote name='Herm33' timestamp='1352492343' post='5913145']

I'm going to be part of a group of 4 that will be over there just about 10 days before you (April 26th-May 4th.) We've been planning since November of last year and can't believe we are now just inside 6 months - as are you!

Our itinerary has us heading up to the Highlands for the first 3 days (Fri-Sun) and playing Nairn then Castle Stuart then Royal Dornoch. We are all really really looking forward to Dornoch.

Then down to St. Andrews with a stop on the travel day (Mon) to play Carnoustie on Mon afternoon.

We luckily were successful on TOC advanced times and have a time for 7:50 on the New on Tues and 2:10 on TOC that afternoon.

Wed. is our only day yet TBD but we are thinking of trying the ballot for TOC again and pair it with Kingsbarns or Crail or Leven/Lundin etc. We also want to have a putting match on the Himalayas course.

Thurs. is Muirfield, we booked for the full 36 holes with foursomes in the afternoon.

'Tis a very aggressive itinerary but we are up for the challenge. It was certainly difficult leaving the West Coast and Aberdeen area off the list but that just means we'll hit again some day.

If I was to make one comment, and this has come from numerous people who we know that have been to Scotland, they have suggested to us that if there's any chance we could fit Cruden Bay into our trip to try and do it. The course in their opinion is that unique and memorable and fun. But if you have the option for a Royal Aberdeen/Cruden double dip, by all means pursue it!!
[/quote]

You are quite right to say Cruden is a memorable experience, and fun too.

If you come over again, don't leave the West coast out of the equation. As I said in a previous thread, I live in Prestwick, so I would be delighted to hook up with you guys, and maybe we can look at Turnberry, Prestwick St Nicholas (my home club), Old Prestwick, Kilmarnock Barassie, Royal Troon, Dundonald, Western Gailes, Glasgow Gailes, Irvine Bogside, West Kilbride? Take your pic really? Lol. Seriously though, I'd be happy to show you guys around to any of those Clubs should you get over to the West coast anytime.

Jay

Herm33 .. do Kingsbarns .. you will love it

Ping G430 10k 10.5* Diamana ZF 60x

Cally AI Smoke TD 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1352851730' post='5930283']
Well Royal Aberdeen was very easy to deal with.... submited tee time request and was notified about 10 min later that we have an 8:00 am time!
[/quote]

Thats great!! Its not as difficult and daunting as it first appears eh? You will have the most wonderful time, hope the weather holds out for you.

Well Royal Aberdeen was very easy to deal with.... submited tee time request and was notified about 10 min later that we have an 8:00 am time!
[/quote]

yep the place is like a ghost town except saturday lunch times - cant wait for my membership there as dont have to worry about getting a time ever - my golf course is ridiculously busy!!!!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1352887519' post='5931737']
[/quote]

yep the place is like a ghost town except saturday lunch times - cant wait for my membership there as dont have to worry about getting a time ever - my golf course is ridiculously busy!!!!
[/quote]

Where is your home course at the moment?

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1352888213' post='5931741']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Deeside Golf club - average course, same price as Royal Aberdeen - but has an awesome clubhouse but sooooo many members!!! hopefully get to keep both - have to check finances - Deeside for Practice and a few holes, Royal Aberdeen for !8 hole rounds...

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1352888486' post='5931745']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Deeside Golf club - average course, same price as Royal Aberdeen - but has an awesome clubhouse but sooooo many members!!! hopefully get to keep both - have to check finances - Deeside for Practice and a few holes, Royal Aberdeen for !8 hole rounds...
[/quote]

Thats not so good eh? My old course down in Oxford was the same, drove you nuts when you couldn't get on the course, or were stuffed onto the 10th tee because of some unimportant competition 2 ball that was taking 5 hours to play!! Drove me nuts. So you must know somebody at Royal Aberdeen to be recommended and seconded?

[/quote]

Are you doing lunch with the members at Muirfield? Remember you need a jacket and tie. It's a real treat. Foursomes is a 2.5 hour hoot after a few single malts.

Carnoustie, Gullane and N. Berwick are all treasures!

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1352889061' post='5931753']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats not so good eh? My old course down in Oxford was the same, drove you nuts when you couldn't get on the course, or were stuffed onto the 10th tee because of some unimportant competition 2 ball that was taking 5 hours to play!! Drove me nuts. So you must know somebody at Royal Aberdeen to be recommended and seconded?
[/quote]

well my dad is the past captain... he was the captain there when the Walker cup was there last year so kind of alright for that...

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1353260045' post='5949979']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

well my dad is the past captain... he was the captain there when the Walker cup was there last year so kind of alright for that...
[/quote]

Nice. My wife has just had an offer from the University of Aberdeen to do her Masters degree, so we will be moving up your way, next August/Sept. I'm not sure whether to join Fraserburgh, Cruden Bay, or Murcar Links to be honest. I don't know anyone to Propose and Second me at Royal Aberdeen, and with the waiting list, I need a golf Club to join straight away to be honest.

So any recommendations would be gratefully received? Maybe we could even hook up fopr a few rounds when we move up there if you like?

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1353260802' post='5950015']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice. My wife has just had an offer from the University of Aberdeen to do her Masters degree, so we will be moving up your way, next August/Sept. I'm not sure whether to join Fraserburgh, Cruden Bay, or Murcar Links to be honest. I don't know anyone to Propose and Second me at Royal Aberdeen, and with the waiting list, I need a golf Club to join straight away to be honest.

So any recommendations would be gratefully received? Maybe we could even hook up fopr a few rounds when we move up there if you like?
[/quote]

Fraserbrough is nice...

Cruden Bay is good...

Murcar sucks... you play a hole right next to Royal Aberdeen and wish you were there instead...

I would do Cruden Bay not expensive either... your wife if she joins the golf club a Aberdeen Uni she can get on Royal Aberdeen...

yep easy play golf...

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1353261337' post='5950041']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1353260802' post='5950015']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fraserbrough is nice...

Cruden Bay is good...

Murcar sucks... you play a hole right next to Royal Aberdeen and wish you were there instead...

I would do Cruden Bay not expensive either... your wife if she joins the golf club a Aberdeen Uni she can get on Royal Aberdeen...

yep easy play golf...
[/quote]

Murcar sounds a bit like Princes, down in Kent. Right next to Royal St Georges, so when playing Princes, you tend to look over the fence at Royal St Georges and just drool!! Lol. Fortunately I have played Royal St Georges, and it only goes to re-emphasize the stark difference in quality.

To be honest with you, I was leaning towards Cruden anyhow, and Fraserburgh is quite a way away, though we may be living up that way anyhow, just depends on housing. I think I will get up there, play them all, then decide, but I agree with you, Cruden is possibly favourite at the moment.

My wife doesn't play golf I'm afraid, so its a shame she can't use her University status at Royal Aberdeen. What a pity eh?

But I will definately go play Royal, before I decide on Cruden or Fraserburgh.

[quote name='Shemp' timestamp='1353193138' post='5947811']

[/quote]

Are you doing lunch with the members at Muirfield? Remember you need a jacket and tie. It's a real treat. Foursomes is a 2.5 hour hoot after a few single malts.

Carnoustie, Gullane and N. Berwick are all treasures!
[/quote]

Yes, doing the full day at Muirfield, Jacket and Tie lunch and then foursomes, which as you noted and I've read is a very quick trip around the course with only 2 balls in play and the caddies moving you along at a brisk pace!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1352347163' post='5906297']
So I've decided to, most likely, pass on Trump's course..... Would you folks suggest Cruden Bay or Royal Aberdeen as a replacement?
[/quote]

Royal Aberdeen, but Cruden Bay is prettier.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 5R

Mizuno ST 190 TS 3 wood Fujikura Atmos 6 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
4 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Odyssey DFX Double Wide

[quote name='ehardman' timestamp='1355263302' post='6052829']
[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1352347163' post='5906297']
So I've decided to, most likely, pass on Trump's course..... Would you folks suggest Cruden Bay or Royal Aberdeen as a replacement?
[/quote]

Royal Aberdeen, but Cruden Bay is prettier.
[/quote]

I reserved an 8:00 am spot at Royal Aberdeen..... likely will have time to do Cruden Bay as well that day!

• 4 months later...

Getting close!

Itinerary:

Leave NY 9 May

Reservations- 11 May Royal Dornach; 13 May Royal Aberdeen; 14 May Carnoustie; 15 May St Andrews New; 16 May St Andrews Jubilee

Since we didn't get selected for an Old Corse Tee Time in the Open draw I'm gonna need to try the Ballot method for either bright and early on 15 May or preferably, to close out the trip, play the Old on 17 May...... we leave on 18 May.

So if any WRX friends have an in or way to tip the scale in my favor to get on the Old sometine 17 May please help!!

First round under our belt... Royal Dochnach was a delight... ! Very typical weather... Sun, wind, dark clouds, showers, then a steady rain for holes 7 & 8 then the rain cleared and the sun shone through... As we approached 15 tee the wind layed down and it was glorious for 4 holes!

Royal Aberdeen tomorrow morn....

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1352377799' post='5906941']
definitely do Royal Aberdeen first... if you play early in the morning its like a ghost town except the odd group of old men!!! i think i have played there 6 times this year where we saw no one or as we were playing the 18th saw some folk on the first...

cruden bay does get busy... sometimes blocks of 2 hours before you can play but that seems busier in the morning...
[/quote]

We played Royal Aberdeen this morning and there were 2 other two balls on the course all morning! The course was in great condition, the wind was up, and the skys clear..... Highlight of the day was my eagle and my son's birdie on the par 5 6th hole. Very difficult inward 9 with brutal winds right in our face the whole way..... As tough a course as |I've ever played and both of us struck the ball well all morning....

A two ball of members were behind us and commented on how flawless they observed our play and they thanked us for our brisk pace... a bit over three hours to complete the round...

We did have another twosome from the States with a tee time just after ours... we were going to play together until I was informed by the pro that was not possible.... there are no four balls allowed in the morning hours! He was very nice about it and offered to reschedule our tee time to accomodate if we'd like....

On to Carnoustie tomorrow.....

[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1368449472' post='7023596']

[/quote]

We played Royal Aberdeen this morning and there were 2 other two balls on the course all morning! The course was in great condition, the wind was up, and the skys clear..... Highlight of the day was my eagle and my son's birdie on the par 5 6th hole. Very difficult inward 9 with brutal winds right in our face the whole way..... As tough a course as |I've ever played and both of us struck the ball well all morning....

A two ball of members were behind us and commented on how flawless they observed our play and they thanked us for our brisk pace... a bit over three hours to complete the round...

We did have another twosome from the States with a tee time just after ours... we were going to play together until I was informed by the pro that was not possible.... there are no four balls allowed in the morning hours! He was very nice about it and offered to reschedule our tee time to accomodate if we'd like....

[/quote]

glad you had fun... it isnt that windy today!!! the standard scratch last saturday medal was 76...

what you hit on the 6th??? then in regard on the 12th back into the wind???

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1368466283' post='7025616']

[/quote]

[/quote]

glad you had fun... it isnt that windy today!!! the standard scratch last saturday medal was 76...

[/quote]

It was a 7 iron in on 6.... my drive ended in the tiny bit of fairway to the right of the left bunkers!.... 12 was driver, hybrid that snuck into 1 of the left fairway bunkers 80 yards short of the green and then I made a mess of things from there...bogey

[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1368475941' post='7026822']
[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1368466283' post='7025616']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It was a 7 iron in on 6.... my drive ended in the tiny bit of fairway to the right of the left bunkers!.... 12 was driver, hybrid that snuck into 1 of the left fairway bunkers 80 yards short of the green and then I made a mess of things from there...bogey
[/quote]

yep as long as you miss the bunker off the tee then the bunker short right its a fun Par 5...

and on the 12th - i have been in that bunker and landed mid green from it into the wind and spun it right off it!!!

well played today and glad you had fun....

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400