2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tour players who smoke

A.G.Blade

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1350965103' post='5831393']
the PGA should ban smoking, dip, and any other performance enhancement drugs (as well as the USGA for that matter). Yes, it's a drug, and for one, it alters the mood and mindset of the player, giving the player an edge during competition.
[/quote]

I most certainly can't speak for professional players, but increased heart rate and blood pressure don't really sound like what you'd be looking for in a golf performance enhancer.

Due to my golf game, I am usually experiencing vast, naturally occurring episodes of both by the second tee at the latest. And as my scorecards will attest, nothing about my game gets enhanced from that point on.

[quote name='A.G.Blade' timestamp='1351000511' post='5832763']
[sub]I was just wondering that, even all the fitness in golf now, are there still players who smoke and play on the professional level. I dont think they should ban smoking, its still America, right?[/sub]
[/quote]

Yes there are, although probably not as many as there used to be, and that seems to be in line with current views on tobacco use in general.

And that's a great point you bring up regarding fitness and golf, however I would contend that since golf is less dependent on cardio/endurance, it seems that smoking would be less of a detriment on the golf course as opposed to, say, a football field.

Maybe.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

the PGA should ban smoking, dip, and any other performance enhancement drugs (as well as the USGA for that matter). [/quote]

Good luck with that. How do you propose they deal with the latter part of this?

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1350965103' post='5831393']Yes, it's a drug, and for one, it alters the mood and mindset of the player, giving the player an edge during competition.
[/quote]

Tell me...how do you feel about caffeine? Energy bars?

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1351001485' post='5832853']
Times have changed, here's what Arnie is saying these days....

I've got a question for you guys who still smoke....

Will you smoke your next cigarette because you want to, or because you have to?

[url="http://www.whyquit.com/whyquit/BryanLeeCurtis.html"]He wanted YOU to know.[/url]
[/quote]

I smoked because I liked it. I actually did enjoy it. That's why I never quit.

The time came recently where I didn't enjoy it anymore. I quit mid-August. Now... if anyone is expecting me to all of the sudden be on the anti-smoking campaign, you got the wrong guy.

The "born again non smoker" is the lowest form of life, imo.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

I know Will Claxton smokes. Keegan used to dip out on the course, he wasn't just spitting.

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1351002391' post='5832927']
[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1351001930' post='5832885']
The time came recently where I didn't enjoy it anymore. I quit mid-August.
[/quote]

Congratulations and Good luck with your quit!

The secret is to never take another puff.

Ever.
[/quote]

Well thank you :drinks:

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

the PGA should ban smoking, dip, and any other performance enhancement drugs (as well as the USGA for that matter). Yes, it's a drug, and for one, it alters the mood and mindset of the player, giving the player an edge during competition. Any smoker or dipper keeping it real will say it helps them cope with stress and pressure better, and even relaxes.... otherwise they wouldn't do it. It's a crutch, and crutches are cheating in golf (see anchoring your putter). And second, it's irresponsible to allow it for a public image of life on tour and general health. Even when smoking was popular, Jack Nicklaus had enough sense to realize he looked like a jack a** doing it. Players in 2012 have no excuse. If they want to go to the bar and drink and smoke themselves to death, go for it, but not on the course. Flame away but that's my opinion.
[/quote]
Both alcohol and nicotine, in any form are depressants. They are NOT performance enhancing drugs. And like anchoring, they may only appear to provide an advantage to the user. Sadly that is far from the truth as far as nicotine and alcohol is concerned. and it has never actually been proven to be true in the case of anchoring..
If your gonna ride a high horse you should be sure the big fella has it's facts straight.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='imakaveli' timestamp='1351005284' post='5833179']
Can the gallery smoke in the US?
[/quote]

Depends on the course. Places like Torrey Pines and maybe Bethpage no because they are public courses in public parks run by the State/City.

A private course may or may not allow smoking, or only allow them in designated areas (which is the most common in general). In my opinion it's wise to provide smoking sections, because people actually use them. If you prohibit smoking, some people are going to smoke anyways wherever they want. Or so I've noticed.

But I don't think there is an official umbrella policy.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1351005547' post='5833219']
[quote name='imakaveli' timestamp='1351005284' post='5833179']
Can the gallery smoke in the US?
[/quote]

Depends on the course. Places like Torrey Pines and maybe Bethpage no because they are public courses in public parks run by the State/City.

A private course may or may not allow smoking, or only allow them in designated areas (which is the most common in general). In my opinion it's wise to provide smoking sections, because people actually use them. If you prohibit smoking, some people are going to smoke anyways wherever they want. Or so I've noticed.

But I don't think there is an official umbrella policy.
[/quote]

So in the PGA Tour events is up to the course?

A good portion of PGA events are played on private property, they have the right to enforce their own rules and policies.

I'm all for the bans on smoking in places of crowd congestion like sporting events, concerts, bars, restaurants, and the like. I just find it ridiculous to tell Joe Hacker he can't take a trip to flavor country when he's out with his usual foursome in the middle of a field with nobody within 200 yards of him, just don't leave your butts all over the place.

For the record, I just ate a granola bar and am drinking a cup of coffee right now. Am I going to get fired for taking these performance enhancing substances at work?

What if I have a couple beers at the turn? Mandatory jail time?

Cobra King F6+, Matrix Black Tie 65M4
Callaway X Utility Prototype 21*, Project X PXI 6.0
Adams XTD 3-PW, KBS C Taper 90
Scratch 8620 D/S 50*, 56*, 60*, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold S300
Bettinardi SS15
Srixon Q Star Tour

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1350971352' post='5831709']
[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1350970717' post='5831695']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1350968870' post='5831609']
the PGA should ban smoking, dip, and any other performance enhancement drugs (as well as the USGA for that matter). Yes, it's a drug, and for one, it alters the mood and mindset of the player, giving the player an edge during competition. Any smoker or dipper keeping it real will say it helps them cope with stress and pressure better, and even relaxes.... otherwise they wouldn't do it. It's a crutch, and crutches are cheating in golf (see anchoring your putter). And second, it's irresponsible to allow it for a public image of life on tour and general health. Even when smoking was popular, Jack Nicklaus had enough sense to realize he looked like a jack a** doing it. Players in 2012 have no excuse. If they want to go to the bar and drink and smoke themselves to death, go for it, but not on the course. Flame away but that's my opinion.
[/quote]

post of the year!

I'm with you! Ban it- but don't stop there! Ban pb&j sandwiches! Too many kids are allergic to nuts these days! Ban Camillo's red bull! Furyk's eight hour energy drink! Don't let those coffee drinkers slip through the cracks- such a stimulant should be against the law!
[/quote]

it's as addictive as heroin for 1, and more deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from HIV, illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined. Yeah, it's just like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and caffeine... I see your point. Frankly, the PGA Tour should fine players that are caught doing any version of it during events.
[/quote]

Someone's been to the CDC website!

Were you going to plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that you thing, you come into a bar, you read some obscure passage, and then pretend, you pawn it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girl and embarrass my friend? You see, the sad thing about a guy like you is that in 50 years, you're gonna start doing some thinking on your own and you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life. One: don't do that. And two: you dropped a 150 grand on a ****** education you could have gotten for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library.
[/quote]

Nice quote from "Good will hunting"

[quote name='imakaveli' timestamp='1351006286' post='5833293']So in the PGA Tour events is up to the course?
[/quote]

I don't know for fact, but I would think so. Maybe up to the sponsors have some say? I'm just making educated guesses here based on the way things usually go.

Is there a no smoking policy at ET events?

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1351008707' post='5833573']
[quote name='imakaveli' timestamp='1351006286' post='5833293']So in the PGA Tour events is up to the course?
[/quote]

I don't know for fact, but I would think so. Maybe up to the sponsors have some say? I'm just making educated guesses here based on the way things usually go.

Is there a no smoking policy at ET events?
[/quote]

At all the events I have been (Open Championship included) I don't remember a smoking ban, that's why I wanted to know how does it work in the US :)

[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1351014418' post='5834149']
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0VcRF_cB4NY

This is Spencer Levin when he's 40.
[/quote]

He's going to be in ridiculously stupid YouTube videos?

He'll probably still be playing competitive golf I'd think.

Cobra King F6+, Matrix Black Tie 65M4
Callaway X Utility Prototype 21*, Project X PXI 6.0
Adams XTD 3-PW, KBS C Taper 90
Scratch 8620 D/S 50*, 56*, 60*, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold S300
Bettinardi SS15
Srixon Q Star Tour

[quote name='w7n23j' timestamp='1351017138' post='5834399']
[quote name='A.G.Blade' timestamp='1350749938' post='5820991']
I bet there are no LPGA players that smoke. But is that it for the PGA?
[/quote]
Not really, I have seen a few LPGA players light them up on the driving range.
[/quote]

Interesting, which ones?

[quote name='KNGR5150' timestamp='1351006950' post='5833371']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1350971352' post='5831709']
[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1350970717' post='5831695']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1350968870' post='5831609']
[/quote]

post of the year!

I'm with you! Ban it- but don't stop there! Ban pb&j sandwiches! Too many kids are allergic to nuts these days! Ban Camillo's red bull! Furyk's eight hour energy drink! Don't let those coffee drinkers slip through the cracks- such a stimulant should be against the law!
[/quote]

it's as addictive as heroin for 1, and more deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from HIV, illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined. Yeah, it's just like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and caffeine... I see your point. Frankly, the PGA Tour should fine players that are caught doing any version of it during events.
[/quote]

Someone's been to the CDC website!

Were you going to plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that you thing, you come into a bar, you read some obscure passage, and then pretend, you pawn it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girl and embarrass my friend? You see, the sad thing about a guy like you is that in 50 years, you're gonna start doing some thinking on your own and you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life. One: don't do that. And two: you dropped a 150 grand on a ****** education you could have gotten for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oblivious readers everywhere are applauding you from under the rocks beneath which they've been living these past two decades.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1351017698' post='5834469']
[quote name='w7n23j' timestamp='1351017138' post='5834399']
[quote name='A.G.Blade' timestamp='1350749938' post='5820991']
I bet there are no LPGA players that smoke. But is that it for the PGA?
[/quote]
Not really, I have seen a few LPGA players light them up on the driving range.
[/quote]

Interesting, which ones?
[/quote]
Good news is that they are not within the top 20 - 25 players. Did not take note but one that I can remember is Jennifer Rosales. The reason is because my daughter was invited to play at the pro-am event at the Walmart NW Arkansas Championship 2 years ago and Jennifer was just behind her on the range puffing away in between swings.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1350920565' post='5827649']
[quote name='WilCox' timestamp='1350920005' post='5827603']
Sorry, I just don't see that happening. Can you really see a police car rolling up to the local muni and hauling someone off for smoking on the course? The police have far bigger issues to deal with than that.

We have to agree to disagree.
[/quote]

I've [size=4]seen police, not security, take people out of both Comerica Park and Ford Field when the ban fist went in. You only have to do it a few times and suddenly people start adhering to the law very well. I've also seen the police not only be called to local bars, but actively "visit" them to make sure no one is smoking. Again in the beginning a lot of establishments decided they weren't going to comply, once the person gets taken away and the establishment gets a fine, suddenly it stops.[/size]

[size=4]Hogan,[/size]
[size=4]This would create an entirely new revenue stream for local police. Trust me if it's a $500-1000 fine, the police will have no problem hauling people away as it makes money for the department. We have already bridged these issues in the ANR and have several legal and social strategies to get new laws in place to regulate. Once we get enough support from our members, we WILL be talking to the PGA tour and more importantly their sponsors very soon. [/size]
[/quote]

You must be a friend of Mayor Bloomberg.
Jesus....get off your soapbox for five minutes.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1350920565' post='5827649']
[quote name='WilCox' timestamp='1350920005' post='5827603']
Sorry, I just don't see that happening. Can you really see a police car rolling up to the local muni and hauling someone off for smoking on the course? The police have far bigger issues to deal with than that.

We have to agree to disagree.
[/quote]

I've seen police, not security, take people out of both Comerica Park and Ford Field when the ban fist went in. You only have to do it a few times and suddenly people start adhering to the law very well. I've also seen the police not only be called to local bars, but actively "visit" them to make sure no one is smoking. Again in the beginning a lot of establishments decided they weren't going to comply, once the person gets taken away and the establishment gets a fine, suddenly it stops.

Hogan,
This would create an entirely new revenue stream for local police. Trust me if it's a $500-1000 fine, the police will have no problem hauling people away as it makes money for the department. We have already bridged these issues in the ANR and have several legal and social strategies to get new laws in place to regulate. Once we get enough support from our members, we WILL be talking to the PGA tour and more importantly their sponsors very soon.
[/quote]

There are a LOT more things I'd rather police be doing than taking smokers away from golf courses, and this comes from a guy who showers before going to bed after leaving a bar that allows smokers.

I'm all for educating people about the effects of smoking/second hand smoke/tobacco use, but I'm also a big proponent for letting people use common sense and a big opponent of any sort of nanny state. The more things that are outlawed (as opposed to being regulated), the more of a nanny state we (meaning the US) become. Just take a look at the soda bans seen in NYC (and potentially DC). Make people take responsibility. It can be a hell of a teacher.

[quote name='Shrapnac' timestamp='1351016216' post='5834293']
[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1351014418' post='5834149']
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0VcRF_cB4NY

This is Spencer Levin when he's 40.
[/quote]

He's going to be in ridiculously stupid YouTube videos?

He'll probably still be playing competitive golf I'd think.
[/quote]
You have a horrible sense of humor, you mustn't get out much?

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1351019826' post='5834649']
[quote name='KNGR5150' timestamp='1351006950' post='5833371']
[/quote]

Oblivious readers everywhere are applauding you from under the rocks beneath which they've been living these past two decades.
[/quote]

My boy's wicked smaaaht

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip