2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tour players who smoke

A.G.Blade

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1351180304' post='5844247']
3 packs of smokes were almost $21!

$6.81 a pack. (regional pricing ymmv)

WOW. How can kids even afford it these days?
[/quote]

Don't get me started.

Marlboros are $12 a pack in NYC.

People should be grateful, smokers are keeping the whole ship afloat with this extortionist taxation.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1351180304' post='5844247'] 3 packs of smokes were almost $21!

[/quote]

I started "rolling" my own with the tubes, machine and American Spirit tins about 10 years ago.

ended up being about 1/3 the price for a while, until the tax man caught up with that too. Then it was 1/2 the price.

Then I quit altogether.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1351182443' post='5844487']
[quote name='geesecougar2' timestamp='1351180765' post='5844293']

[/quote]

I know the Big Apple is overpriced in everything, but that is freaking insane!
[/quote]

Close to that in Chicago too..... I think it was 2006, maybe 2005, they raised the taxes a ton and they were up to about $8 or so a pack. I'm sure it's worse now., although haven't been there in a while. I was living there and still smoking, and would just take the train about 30 minutes north about once a month and stock up on cartons for about $35 each.

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1351183619' post='5844585']
[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1351180304' post='5844247'] 3 packs of smokes were almost $21!

[/quote]

I started "rolling" my own with the tubes, machine and American Spirit tins about 10 years ago.

ended up being about 1/3 the price for a while, until the tax man caught up with that too. Then it was 1/2 the price.

Then I quit altogether.
[/quote]

I tried that for a while, and I love the act of rolling. It's better with the European "backrolling" method where you only have one layer of paper, tearing off the rest.

But it's not the same. The loose tobacco doesn't have those delicious chemical additives!

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1351177756' post='5843971']
[quote name='soregongolfer' timestamp='1351069199' post='5837893']
[quote name='H.A. Kerr' timestamp='1351062779' post='5837797']
[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1351044130' post='5836953']
When smokers get nervous, they smoke, and it chills them out. [/quote]

No it does not.

It elevates their heart rate and increases their blood pressure. Mentally, it satisfies their craving, but physiologically, it causes anything but "chilling out" in their bodies. It's a performance "de-hancer", if you like, for a sport like golf.

Nicotine is a stimulant. Just like a broad class of drugs generally ending in "-ine" like caffeine, phentermine and , oh yeah, meth.

Not saying you can't dislike smoking, because it is indeed pretty gross, but get the facts right when mounting the soapbox. And be sure to lump Jim Furyk into your message for his pounding and promoting on national TV another concentrated stimulant as well.
[/quote]

Did you miss the part where he said he, himself, smoked? [u][b]I have to think a smoker would have a pretty good idea what smoking does to him.[/b][/u]
[/quote]
Apparently not, because Mr. Kerr is correct. You outa read up on it all. Might be a good education for you and sorgongolfer. Let's be clear. Nicotine is a depressant. Depressants do not enhance performance, they can actually detract from it. But the user of nicotine often may FEEL that smoking relaxes or improves attitude and performance, even though it is doing the opposite. And I guess I know what I'm talking about, if usage equates to knowledge. I quit smoking eight years ago, after 30 + years of smoking 2 or more large packs of cigarettes every day. Imagine, eight years and I still can't tolerate born again anti smokers who use a soapbox to keep convincing themselves to stay away from the crap. Believe me, the addiction never leaves, it just hides under the surface, waiting for you to make a mistake, take that first drag. But, that's my problem, not that smoker's over there on the corner being ostracised for his habit.
[/quote] Actually nicotine is one of the few chemicals that is both a stimulant and a depressant.

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1351182443' post='5844487']
[quote name='geesecougar2' timestamp='1351180765' post='5844293']

[/quote]

I know the Big Apple is overpriced in everything, but that is freaking insane!
[/quote]That close to price in much of the northeast, at least anywhere that has taxes.

[quote name='KNGR5150' timestamp='1351186494' post='5844961']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1351177756' post='5843971']
[quote name='soregongolfer' timestamp='1351069199' post='5837893']
[quote name='H.A. Kerr' timestamp='1351062779' post='5837797']
[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1351044130' post='5836953']
When smokers get nervous, they smoke, and it chills them out. [/quote]

No it does not.

It elevates their heart rate and increases their blood pressure. Mentally, it satisfies their craving, but physiologically, it causes anything but "chilling out" in their bodies. It's a performance "de-hancer", if you like, for a sport like golf.

Nicotine is a stimulant. Just like a broad class of drugs generally ending in "-ine" like caffeine, phentermine and , oh yeah, meth.

Not saying you can't dislike smoking, because it is indeed pretty gross, but get the facts right when mounting the soapbox. And be sure to lump Jim Furyk into your message for his pounding and promoting on national TV another concentrated stimulant as well.
[/quote]

Did you miss the part where he said he, himself, smoked? [u][b]I have to think a smoker would have a pretty good idea what smoking does to him.[/b][/u]
[/quote]
Apparently not, because Mr. Kerr is correct. You outa read up on it all. Might be a good education for you and sorgongolfer. Let's be clear. Nicotine is a depressant. Depressants do not enhance performance, they can actually detract from it. But the user of nicotine often may FEEL that smoking relaxes or improves attitude and performance, even though it is doing the opposite. And I guess I know what I'm talking about, if usage equates to knowledge. I quit smoking eight years ago, after 30 + years of smoking 2 or more large packs of cigarettes every day. Imagine, eight years and I still can't tolerate born again anti smokers who use a soapbox to keep convincing themselves to stay away from the crap. Believe me, the addiction never leaves, it just hides under the surface, waiting for you to make a mistake, take that first drag. But, that's my problem, not that smoker's over there on the corner being ostracised for his habit.
[/quote] Actually nicotine is one of the few chemicals that is both a stimulant and a depressant.
[/quote]
Hmmm....Apparently a quick smoke acts as a depressant and a slow smoke creates the effect of a stimulant. That info was never in my smoking cessation guide. Guess I was always a quick smoker.....

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

I just saw two big fat naked bikers in the woods off 17 havin sex...how am i supposed to chip with that goin on! Damn you people...go back to your shanties.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I would be shocked if every tour didn't ban smoking in the near future. Smokeless may have a longer life, but probably shouldn't. Off the course, players will do what they want (even if people would be much better off not doing it), but on the course I doubt it will continue any kind of presence in the near future. There's no tour or event sponsor that wants to in any way align themselves with Tobacco use. in fact, players may have a hard time with manufacturer sponsors as well at some point. Do you really think a brand wants to be advertised while a guy chain smokes the back nine on camera? They would prefer the guy not smoking on the course imo.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

Tiger has done a lot of dumb things in his life, but smoking isn't one of them. There are no pictures of him anywhere smoking. I'm not talking about on the golf course but at places like Las Vegas where everyone was smoking (and many of his friends). Two other reasons fitness nut not wanting to ruin his lungs and last but not least seeing the absolute destruction of his life long smoking father....

I always laugh at the amount of people that think dipping is less dangerous than smoking. Might want to read up on some of the research done in that regard and also check out which is more addictive.....

I don't think smoking affects distance, golf stamina maybe, but not distance. It didn't help my putting but helped my overall attitude of enjoyment. That being said, my 2 biggest victories this year came when I did not smoke; parent/child( obviously not smoking there!). And my club championship,but boy, had a few puffs after!!

[quote name='Black Label Johnny' timestamp='1351489219' post='5860837']
"Drink, smoke, smoke weed, smoke coke... I do it all baby!" ~ Beetlejuice
[/quote]

go for it.... off the golf course.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

This is Beetlejuice and that was a quote...

e036dc11385f43ed787d50daaa3e5a67_1M.png

[indent=1][u] Ping G[/u][/indent]
[indent=1]X2 Hot 3 & 5 wood w/Chrome
Scratch Don White 21-46 w/5* gaps
Scratch XDG 51* & 56*
Del Mar Buttonback[/indent]

This is Beetlejuice and that was a quote...

e036dc11385f43ed787d50daaa3e5a67_1M.png

He looks totally normal too, you'd never guess it.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

[quote name='Jbird33' timestamp='1351626671' post='5868521']
My 2 cents...Why is it that the group that wants to outlaw tobacco join the same party that the people that want to legalize weed join?
[/quote]

Because they are dangerously certain in their 'beliefs' once they latch on to them. The world is easier for them to live in and make sense of when everything is black/white, right/wrong, good/bad- rather than putting in the effort to continuously evaluate their outlook on things, and allow for different perspectives than their own.

...and for TDO if you're still following this- LET'S GO GIANTS!!!

TM M1 430 9* / Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
Adams SuperLS 15* / Kuro Kage 70g S
Adams Idea Pro a12 20* / RIP VS Proto 80
Mizuno MP60 / TTDG S300
Vokey SM6 52*, Mizuno 56*, Vokey SM5 60*
Odyssey Milled Collection #9

[quote name='mandudebro' timestamp='1351833072' post='5881087']
My 2 cents...Why is it that the group that wants to outlaw tobacco join the same party that the people that want to legalize weed join?
[/quote]

Because they are dangerously certain in their 'beliefs' once they latch on to them. The world is easier for them to live in and make sense of when everything is black/white, right/wrong, good/bad- rather than putting in the effort to continuously evaluate their outlook on things, and allow for different perspectives than their own.

[/quote]

Is the jury still out on this stuff? I thought the tobacco mystery was solved several decades ago. Same with marijuana, which is why it's allowed for medical purposes only. What exactly are we suppose to continue to evaluate? The degree of harm it causes and why it's fatal in some and only damaging in others? How about evaluating the effects a lobotomy... hey, might change... got to keep an open mind. I don't know about any of you, but I'd rather spend my time and energy evaluating things that haven't been solved... like how to cure cancer, what causes autism, etc. Seems like time better spent in the research lab.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1351899272' post='5884467']
[quote name='mandudebro' timestamp='1351833072' post='5881087']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Is the jury still out on this stuff? I thought the tobacco mystery was solved several decades ago. Same with marijuana, which is why it's allowed for medical purposes only. What exactly are we suppose to continue to evaluate? The degree of harm it causes and why it's fatal in some and only damaging in others? How about evaluating the effects a lobotomy... hey, might change... got to keep an open mind. I don't know about any of you, but I'd rather spend my time and energy evaluating things that haven't been solved... like how to cure cancer, what causes autism, etc. Seems like time better spent in the research lab.
[/quote]

Um, the 'beliefs' I was referring to aren't that cig's are bad for you- I'm pretty sure the science is conclusive there. You can now continue to evaluate my original comment.

TM M1 430 9* / Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
Adams SuperLS 15* / Kuro Kage 70g S
Adams Idea Pro a12 20* / RIP VS Proto 80
Mizuno MP60 / TTDG S300
Vokey SM6 52*, Mizuno 56*, Vokey SM5 60*
Odyssey Milled Collection #9

• 8 months later...