LIVE ROCKETBLADEZ Q&A with TaylorMade! Thursday, Oct. 25 1-3PM ET! Win RBLADEZ TOUR IRONS!

HipCheck

[quote name='bouche03' timestamp='1351115719' post='5840929']
It's great to have OEM's on the forum here. What a great resource
[/quote]

[b]Thanks for the kind words. It's actually one of the things we most look forward to -- engaging directly with golfers and the amazing GolfWRX community. This technology is something we've been working on for so long; it's great to finally get to share with with golfers everywhere. Thanks for inviting us today! - GG[/b]

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ti-Cip ' timestamp='1351108577' post='5840395']
[size=6][sup]here's my question:[/sup][/size]
[size=6][sup]last year you all hyped on the swing weight screw and how this would make perfect swing weights and place weight right behind the sweet spot instead of weights in the hosel, with these new irons, less than 1 yr later, there is no swing weight screw. so how are you now acheiving proper swing weights especially with all the custom shafts that are offered?[/sup][/size]
[sup][size=6]if the swing weight screw was so innovative, why is not incorporated in your new lineup?[/size][/sup]
[sup][size=6]I'm curious because i went and got my TP MC/MB set and am worried about hosel weights moving the cg in these new irons..[/size][/sup]
[sup][size=6]thx[/size][/sup]
[/quote] [b]The complexities of the Speed Pocket did not allow us to also incorporate the Precision-Weighting Port. However, the overwhelming performance benefit from the Speed Pocket was just too big to ignore. In other words, the RocketBladez Speed Pocket unlocks such a massive improvement in performance in terms of ball speed, peak trajectory and distance consistency that it outweighs the benefits of the Precision-Weighting Port. Thus, we will use hosel cartridges to adjust the swingweight and accommodate custom shaft offerings in RocketBladez irons. Theoretically, we’d like to include both technologies in one iron, but at this point it isn’t possible. [/b]

[quote name='DeeKK' timestamp='1351093813' post='5839055']
Will the speed slot technology be included in future driver offerings?

Any reasoning behind black and gold color scheme? Which looks amazing btw.
[/quote]

Good question.

Due to its deep face, shell-like structure, use of titanium (lower modulus of elasticity), and fact that the ball is struck off a tee, drivers have less barriers to creating high COR and max ball speed. All our drivers are already designed up to the USGA limit of COR. That being said we are always looking at ways to apply new technology across product categories to enhance performance and make better products.

- BW

[quote name='CallawayLefty' timestamp='1351097726' post='5839433'] [quote name='Lefty66' timestamp='1351095893' post='5839267'] [list] [*]I am interested to know why the tour irons are not offered in left hand? Will this change in the future? [/list] [/quote] I second this question. Please show the lefty love. After my recent r11s purchase, I'm considering going all TM with my next set! Is that notch on the hosel of the Tour version for lie adjustment purposes? Also - it looks like the AW to the set is a completely different design than the rest of the clubs - any comments on that? Thanks! [/quote]

We are making LH in RocketBladez Tour. Yes, the notch is for loft and lie adjustment purposes.

Thanks for the questions.

- BW

[quote name='mkjayhawk' timestamp='1351111986' post='5840657'] Why not forged in the tour version? 2 sets of the MCs now that I like but I could used a bit more forgiveness. Will the c-tapers be an upcharge? Thanks! [/quote]

[b]Yes, custom shaft pricing will remain the same as last year. In regards to forged, we couldn't utilize this technology with the forged process. We had to get this level of performance to the Tour and even forged players have been raving about the feel. -BB[/b]

Your past irons R9's, R11's, RBZ's have been very difficult to bend. For us Clubmakers...will these Tours bend easier ????

Titleist 913 D2 8.5* Rogue 70 S
Titleist 915 16.5* Whiteboard 80 X
Titleist 915 19* Whiteboard 90 S, 24* Whiteboard 100X
 AP2 716 KBS Tour S 1x SS SM7 Black 50* KBS
SM7 Black 54/14 KBS,  SM7 58/12 KBS
KP1 Carbon ---Cally Chrome Soft 2018
TM TP5X

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1351098704' post='5839525']
[b]TMBob[/b] here,

My question is concerning [b]spin[/b] and the selection of [b]KBS Tours[/b] with your new irons, [b]RocketBladez Tour Model w/Speed Pocket Technology[/b]

I hearing how the touring pro are flat out [b]gassed[/b] over the increased distance [b]WITH[/b] the consistent distance control (total break thru in technology) that the new slot technology in these irons are producing.

I would love to hear how the [b]spin[/b] came into play in order to gain distance, yet still have a constant distance factor to them as most associate to much spin with less distance, or to little spin that produces the dreaded flyer.

Can you please explain how all this works together to be able to achieve both more distance and consistent distance control?

Was the [b]spin[/b] higher or lower then, let's say the [b]RBZ [/b]iron or any other i[b]nverted cone technology[/b] iron?

My other question is,

[b]KBS Tour[/b] was the shaft of choice to be the stock offering for the [b]New RocketBladez Tour Model[/b] I see....nice selection!

Please tell us how this came about and what characteristics about this shaft made it the shaft of choice over and how the two blended together better then, let's say C Tapers just to keep it all in the family sort speak? Or maybe even TT DGS which seems to the standard out on the tours.

Can you provide us with any Trackman info on the NEW[b] RocketBladez Tour Iron[/b] vs any of your current of pass offering?

Looking forward to you're answers and learning more about this ground breaking technology that you have introduced.

Does this mean that my[b] LT's, 2 sets of R7 TP, 2008 TP's and MC's[/b] will no longer needed?

Thanks for coming on to the #1 Golf Site on the Web, and thanks to [b]GolfWRX [/b]as always in having these types of Q&A's

[b]TMBob[/b]
[/quote]

Lots of great questions here, TMBob. We're going to tackle the one about KBS. The formula here was pretty simple, actually. We wanted to make the hottest iron on Tour, and right now KBS Tour is the hottest shaft on Tour.

Thanks for being a TaylorMade guy!

- BB

[quote name='CAGOFORIT' timestamp='1351115859' post='5840937'] If the long irons are so easy to hit, how will this impact the hybrid market? Will there still be a need for hybrids? [/quote]

That’s exactly why we developed RocketBladez irons. As metalwoods have gotten longer thanks to innovations like the Speed Pocket in our RocketBallz fairways and Rescues, the distance gap that’s formed between your longest iron and your shortest metalwood has grown. RocketBladez will help you close that gap.

-ST

[quote name='judoguy888' timestamp='1351098039' post='5839463']
Thanks Golf WRX and Taylormade for this opportunity! My question is why isn't the Speedslot design incorporated to the 8-pw? Seems like if the technology is as good as it is touted to be, that it would be beneficial to have them in the scoring irons as well. Does the speedslot effect distances of flushed iron shots on the center of the sweetspot, i.e. more distance than one is used to? Lastly why were the clubs not forged? I feel like a lot of good players and tour players prefer the feel and feedback of a forged iron, and it offers more adjustability in loft and lie.

Thanks again for the opportunity to take part in this great giveaway!

Kenny
[/quote]

Great questions, Kenny.

Please check out #247 regarding the 8-PW question. There are also many answers in the thread regarding forged versus cast. Thanks for your questions.

- BW

How are ypou managing the soft feel in the 8i, 9i, PW with out the polymer addition of the others?

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

Why the use of Stainless steel vs. Carbon steel?

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1351116171' post='5840971'] Hi TM. With the advent of this "speed slot" technology across multiple platforms, such as irons, fwy's and hybrids. Do you see the speed slot being integrated into your drivers to max out the COR across the entire face?? [/quote]

Drivers have fewer barriers that inhibit the creation of high COR and maximum ball speed. That’s because a driver has a deep face, a shell-like structure, employs titanium construction (which has a lower modulus of elasticity, which means it’s less stiff than steel). Plus, the ball is perched high on a tee, making it easier to make contact with the middle of the clubface, which happens to be the fastest part of the clubface. All TaylorMade drivers are designed up to the USGA’s COR limit. That said, we’re always searching for ways to apply new technology across product categories to enhance performance.

-ST

[quote name='Jersey golfer' timestamp='1351115109' post='5840885'] My question is if these irons are so much longer why couldn't the lofts be weakened? Looking forward to trying these. [/quote]

[b]Great question. The speed pocket along with the lowered CG created a higher ball flight. We strengthened the lofts and still achieved higher trajectories in the long irons along with the correct distance gapping throughout the set.[/b] [b]-BB[/b]

i know alot of this technology came from your RBZ (Rocket Ballz) line but did your partnership with CCM give any insight to this technology as well because you did something very similiar with the blade of the hockey stick and the speed slot in the new Rocketbladez Irons?. Isnt the stick also called Rocket bladez as well?

Thanks

[quote name='progolferch' timestamp='1351115930' post='5840945']
Thanks again TM & Golfwrx for another great opportunity.

How does the new speedslot affect workability in the irons?
[/quote]

[b]It's great to be here, thanks![/b]

[b]This question has come up a couple of times. With regard to the Speed Pocket, that technology is going to give you more consistency front to back (i.e. consistent distances). Now with regard to workability -- there are two versions: a standard version and the tour version that offers minimal offset (generally considered to be more workable). Hope that helps. - GG[/b]

Will it be difficult to hit knockdown shots for wind play or hitting it under tree limbs with these clubs that get the ball up quickly. Does one have to increase the forward press of their hands and try to hit it higher on the face? I am sure that is a concern for many tour and more accomplished players.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1351188418' post='5845217']
[quote name='judoguy888' timestamp='1351098039' post='5839463']
Thanks Golf WRX and Taylormade for this opportunity! My question is why isn't the Speedslot design incorporated to the 8-pw? Seems like if the technology is as good as it is touted to be, that it would be beneficial to have them in the scoring irons as well. Does the speedslot effect distances of flushed iron shots on the center of the sweetspot, i.e. more distance than one is used to? Lastly why were the clubs not forged? I feel like a lot of good players and tour players prefer the feel and feedback of a forged iron, and it offers more adjustability in loft and lie.

Thanks again for the opportunity to take part in this great giveaway!

Kenny
[/quote]

Great questions, Kenny.

Please check out #247 regarding the 8-PW question. There are also many answers in the thread regarding forged versus cast. Thanks for your questions.

- BW
[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to answer this, I see that after this was posted my question was answered several times in this interview, my other questions are the more pressing ones to me.

Again I appreciate the effort of TAYLORMADE to answer our questions and to listen to the requests of everyday players.

[quote name='Smooth 7 Iron' timestamp='1351116451' post='5840985'] Thanks for the chance to ask some questions. Long time Nike player who has made the switch from Nike to Taylormade. Question: Its been some time since the R9 TP irons were released and they are still a fan favorite. I was wondering if you (Taylormade) thinks the RocketBladez Tour version will be the long awaited replacement? Thanks for the time. Have a great week. [/quote]

Welcome to TaylorMade. Yes, every bit that and more. We think RocketBladez are a genuine replacement for ALL player clubs.

-ST

[quote name='judoguy888' timestamp='1351099427' post='5839595']
In the tour irons it is said the technology used is to achieve a higher trajectory ball flight. On tour aren't most players trying to flight the ball, on a lower trajectory? Would high-flying irons not make this more difficult to achieve a lower trajectory? Also the sweet-spot is significantly larger...Would this not translate to more of the entire face feeling like a flushed shot? I could see this as being a problem on tour as most players want direct feedback knowing whether they hit it even minutely off the "dime" sized sweetspot of their current set up. I think this would make that feeling and feedback harder to achieve for top players. I am in no way trying to criticize the technology, I am just a humble golfer who wants to know whats behind the tech, and I genuinely appreciate the opportunity to have our questions answered!

Kenny
[/quote]

The majority of Tour players want to have a lower more controlled flight in the short irons. With the way they're setting up golf courses now on Tour with the firmness of the greens and the pin locations, Tour players are asking for higher-flying long irons. They never want the long irons to balloon. The RocketBladez Tour irons create a higher launch and higher peak trajectory for a steeper landing angle but without an increase in spin.

- BB

What can one expect in distance differences between the standard version and the Tour model? The Lofts,offsets, shaft weights and lengths are all quite different.

[quote name='CTEagle' timestamp='1351119421' post='5841217']
Will these clubs cause gap issues?
[/quote]

[b]Good question - I'm going to steal this answer from Bret since he just answered it. We are working like crazy to get through as many questions as possible!) :) Thanks for the interest. - GG[/b]
[b]Here's Bret -> The biggest distance gains in the RocketBladez Tour irons will be experienced in the 3-4 iron. These heads have the most aggressive face and pocket designs, and will also demonstrate the largest consistency gains, because of the way which the pocket is activated. But as you work down to the short irons the flex of the face does less to influence distance and distance control as much. This is due to loft and the oblique nature of the impact with a higher-lofted club head. The 8, 9, and PW still feature the face design changes, and CG management and the gapping across the set will match really well. The milled face and grooves also contribute more to control and consistency in the short irons as compared to the long irons.

- BW[/b]

[quote name='progolferch' timestamp='1351115930' post='5840945'] Thanks again TM & Golfwrx for another great opportunity. How does the new speedslot affect workability in the irons? [/quote]

It doesn't. The compact head shape, thing topline, thin sole, small cavity back and minimal offset all help to make RocketBladez Tour irons extremely workable for players who like to attack pins by drawing and fading the ball.

- BB

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1351188796' post='5845261']
[quote name='judoguy888' timestamp='1351099427' post='5839595']
In the tour irons it is said the technology used is to achieve a higher trajectory ball flight. On tour aren't most players trying to flight the ball, on a lower trajectory? Would high-flying irons not make this more difficult to achieve a lower trajectory? Also the sweet-spot is significantly larger...Would this not translate to more of the entire face feeling like a flushed shot? I could see this as being a problem on tour as most players want direct feedback knowing whether they hit it even minutely off the "dime" sized sweetspot of their current set up. I think this would make that feeling and feedback harder to achieve for top players. I am in no way trying to criticize the technology, I am just a humble golfer who wants to know whats behind the tech, and I genuinely appreciate the opportunity to have our questions answered!

Kenny
[/quote]

The majority of Tour players want to have a lower more controlled flight in the short irons. With the way they're setting up golf courses now on Tour with the firmness of the greens and the pin locations, Tour players are asking for higher-flying long irons. They never want the long irons to balloon. The RocketBladez Tour irons create a higher launch and higher peak trajectory for a steeper landing angle but without an increase in spin.

- BB
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply!

How do you increase launch without affecting the spin?

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1351188008' post='5845169']
[quote name='HackerDav31' timestamp='1351110372' post='5840517'] Since the tour model of the Rocketbladez isn't forged, is the polymer fill in the speed slot creating a softened feel that more closely resembles a forged club? I noticed that Sean O'Hair says that they feel forged in his video, so I'm wondering if it has to do with the polymer or with the soft casting and advancements in that process. Thanks WRX and TM!! [/quote]

[b]It's a combination of shape, polymer fill in the speed pocket, and the dampening of the badge in the cavity. I can tell you it feels like forged, but the only way you'll believe me is by going out and hitting it. I can say that several Tour have raved about the feel. -BB[/b]
[/quote]

Thanks! Can't wait to give these a go. I love my CBs, but I'm thinking that if the RBladez Tours are what they're shaping up to be, I'll be putting a set in my bag once I can get my hands on them. Thanks again TM, keep killing it!!