2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Odyssey Protype Black #9 FULL REVIEW!

TheMackDaddy

So, finally I get to do a review! I'm usually always late in terms of buying new equipment, but not this time!

First off, I'm an Odyssey guy. Always have loveed their putters, and I started with the Odyssey two ball before falling in love with the #9 style. Lots of my freinds know that I am a huge putter ho for being a junior, and nothing ever comes close to knocking my beloved Black "i" series #9 out of the bag. But that doesn't stop me from scooping up Scotty Camerons, and more Odysseys. When I first saw the spy pictures for this putter, I just started salivating. I had always wanted an all black putter, something that was bound to send fear down my opponents back. Because nothing says "I'm about to destroy you at golf" like an all black putter. But I sighed, as I thought to myself, "Probably just another tour only putter that I will never get my hands on.. :stink: " Thats when another WRX member assured me that these would be coming to retail. SCORE! :derisive:

So i began my search on Ebay...

At first, nothing, just a few well out of my price range (@ $270). Then, the day finally came where I found one sub $200. Great. I bargined him down a bit, then sent paypal.

Fast forward to last friday, I had 5 tests, and an in class essay in THE SAME DAY. I think to myself on the way home " There is not one thing in the world that is going to stop me from taking a nap. Nothing!"

Well, turns out thats not true. On my porch I saw the box I had been waiting for. I knick myself with the knife trying to open the box out of all the excitement. I take it out and BOOM! Sickest putter i've ever held! I spent the next hour rolling putts inside, and today was the first day I played with it. Here is what I found:

The Review:

Odyssey Protype Black #9 Putter

350 grams

33"

3 degrees loft (standard for Odyssey)

70 degree lie angle (also standard for Odyssey)

Looks:

When i first set the putter down, I just gave myself an imaginary fist pump for buying this. Odyssey really stepped their game up with this putter. If there is one word to describe this putter, it would be 'badass'. It's the kind of putter James Bond would game. At address, all you see is a black #9 shaped head with a bright white sightline that splits the putter in half. Even with only that one sightline, you know where the ball is going. Unlike most other #9 style putters, there is no division between the "Wings" of the putter and the sole... more on that in a bit. On the sole you will see the name of the putter, the style #, and the weight, as well as a badge (I guess that's what it would be called) that signifies you own a "Forged Milled Carbon Steel" putter. Like I said before...Badass. :blind:

Odyssey dubbs this finish the "Midnight black finish" and says that the "Black PVD finish helps reduce glare and create a distinctive design that inspires confidence."

I didn't really feel that it eliminated glare, but I agree with the inspiring confidence part.

I am a little concerned that the finish won't hold up, and may start to rust as carbon steel putters are notorious for this. PVD usually means it is good to go though, and knowing Odyssey, they usually deliver durable finishes.

Like all the other #9's Odyssey has introduced, this putter has half shaft offeset, which suits my eye perfectly.

It has the same heel/toe length as the other Odyssey's as well, and also the same length neck.

Now lets discuss the milling. It is sharp, but I wouldn't neccessarily consider it "deep". I've compared it to the 2012 California line, and it is not that deep.

Lets talk about the black shaft and the grip, as I am aware that alot of people are concerned with this.

The shaft is PVD coated and I am sure that it will not scratch up like the KBS black nickel shafts do. It is also a stepped shaft. The grip is Golf Pride's soon to be relesed "half wrap" whip provides a wrap on the back. It is shaped almost like a pistelero, but not quite as thick.

Odyssey combines all this to deliver an outstanding looking putter.

Performance:

This will vary from person to person. I don't reccomend this putter to people with SBST strokes simply because of the toe hang. This style works best with an arced stroke (Like I have)

On the course today I had 29 putts, about 1 above my average of 28. It did take me awhile to get used to the distance control as it was a different feel than my Odyssey with the insert, but by the back 9 I had gotten distance down.

I can't stress enough how much confidence this putter gives you. 10 footers seem to become tap ins. The weight of the putter is perfectly distributed and it is easy to put a smooth stroke on the ball. On contact, the putter makes a "click" noise which I really like.

4-5 footers just felt 10x easier with this putter and I always knew where the ball was going once I hit it.

The ball seems to jump off the face, but it doesn't skid. It just keeps rolling.

Obviously performance is going to be different for me than others, but I have zero complaints in this department.

Feel:

Another place where this is subjective. I'll do my best to describe it.

For statrers, its nothing like Odyssey's previous lines (Exceot the regualar Protype, but that doesn't count).

Does it feel similar to the Black Series Tour Designs Milled? NO.

It kind of sounds like a quiet "snap" of the fingers, or a tiny click of the tounge against the roof of your mouth. And combined with the milling, you can easily tell how you hit the putt.

The feel makes me want to get up from my computer, drive to the course and just roll a few more putts.

Odyssey claims that it is a forged carbon steel head. You would think that this would make it soft, but it really doesn't. Just like forged irons aren't really soft as in a pillow, they are just smooth like... chocolate milk? :dntknw: Like forged irons, you feel like you are making contact with a tennis ball, not a golf ball. I live for this feeling.

I also noticed that upon impact it feels like the putter sticks to the ball, and it's like you have time to correct any errors. It's a hard concept to wrap your head around, but this is how I feel.

FAQ:

Q: Is it worth the $269 price point?

A: Some people pay double that for Putters I believe are in the same class as this one, so I believe yes.

Q: Smooth like chocolate milk? Really?

A:That was the first metaphor that came to mind. Back off hater(s/z). :sleep:

So overall....

Pros:

-Looks filthy. The transition from the black shaft to the black head... insane. Not to mention how easy it is to get comfortable over the ball

-Responsive, I can tell if I have hit a good putt

-Soft, but not to the point where its a marshmellow covered in cotton candy.

-Forged Carbon... I'm not sure what this means,but I just feel like a badass playing something that says Forged Carbon. :blind:

Cons:

-Any moisture whatsoever turns the black finish to purple-ish blue-ish ... Easy to wipe off but it is distracting when trying to putt, and gets annoying having to wipe it off with a towel.

-Finish may not be durable, only time will tell with this.

-The headcover is velcro. What are you thinking Odyssey?!

Bottom Line:

The best looking #9 putter Odyssey has come out with. Puts every other #9 style to shame (Even some tour Del Mar's).

It feels great in your hands, and feels equally good upon contact with that must-make putt.

It's one of those putters that reminds you why you love the everlasting search for a perfect putter.

Possible Holy Grail material. Hop on the bandwagon!

I attached some pictures of the putter, comparing it with my black (i) series putter, and the headcover.

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

Take note of how the "wings" go down the the base on the (i) series (left) while the protype black the "wings" go straight back.

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

Hope you enjoyed reaqding as much as I did writing! :derisive:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome man! i really hope you like it. You've going to have to give a putter that sick a name. I really don't understand why companies are still using velcro though. The magnet or zipper is so much better. I really enjoyed the review, and i really like the looks of that putter. Black putters are the way to go! just got my first black putter (redwood anser) and i've gotta say it lines up much easier than steel.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I like chocolate milk.... soo its a good analogy for me :D

good review man

[size=4][font=georgia,serif][b]Taylormade[/b] R1 w/ Aldila Voodoo 10*
[b]Cleveland[/b] Classic 15.5* w/ Matrix Ozik
[b]Adams [/b]DHY 20* with Aerotech Steelfiber
[b]Ping [/b]S57's w/ S300 4-W [/font][/size]
[b][font=georgia, serif]Cleveland[/font][/b][color=#010101][font=georgia, serif] 588's 52, 56, 60[/font][/color]
[size=4][font=georgia,serif][b]Kenny Giannini[/b] G2 Chubby [/font][/size]

great review. The protype are some of the best putters on the market. I"m more of a fan of the silver protype but they both feel amazing.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Nice review.....I ordered my Scotty Del Mar to the Odyssey specs (34, 70, 3) because I liked rolling the #9 in the shop so much.... I really like the looks of these black protypes.... IF I were to switch, this would be the one.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Thanks for the in depth review. I have a #9 White Ice on the way for some experimenting, which I ordered with that same Protype Black grip. The #9 toe hang wouldn't seem to match with my putting style but I love the history of this style of putter and I seem to be able to aim well with it.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='kchuckb' timestamp='1353019121' post='5940119']
OP, i'm currently gaming the black series tour design, which i'm happy with. Is it really that much better feeling? I have rolled the satin protypes and those feel really nice.
[/quote]
Like I said before, feel is super subjective, do I can't say whether it will feel better for you, but I can say it feels MUCH different. For me I like it over the black series kmilled.

I was going to ask the same question as kchuckb.

Great review... Seriously makes me think about getting one. Maybe one of these days if I find one for a decent price. Even though it doesn't look that much different than the Black Series Tour Design #9, something about it just makes it seem a bit sleeker. Maybe it's the shaft, maybe it's the one piece design, or maybe it's just me. I love the feel of my current #9, so I'm not really sure how I would like the Protype in comparison. Maybe ignorance is bliss.

Taylormade RBZ Tour 10.5*
Adams Idea Pro a12 18*
Mizuno MP52 3-PW
Mizuno MP-T4 50* 54* 58*
Odyssey Tour Designs Black #9
WITB Link

I have the satin Protype #9. Tried the Black Series TD and I have owned the Cleveland Classic #2 the feel of the Protype (for me) is worlds better. Good write up.

@ WVP- Try that White Ice first before you even consider the Protype. I used to be one that hated inserts and would never even think about using a putter with one. The White Ice insert completely changed my mind. I love the feel of that thing in my 2-Ball Blade.

[quote name='TripleGrindSole' timestamp='1353073240' post='5942423']
I have the satin Protype #9. Tried the Black Series TD and I have owned the Cleveland Classic #2 the feel of the Protype (for me) is worlds better. Good write up.

@ WVP- Try that White Ice first before you even consider the Protype. I used to be one that hated inserts and would never even think about using a putter with one. The White Ice insert completely changed my mind. I love the feel of that thing in my 2-Ball Blade.
[/quote]

Yeah, I like the insert as well. And I know it's sacrilegious here but I don't think a deep milled putter is the greatest feeling in the world either. I'm very open to all types.

The #9 style will be the experiment for me, so I don't expect to be putter shopping for a while with the #9 and my Rife. But no promises, haha...

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1353018835' post='5940077']
I'm in the middle of a round and thru 5 holes I've made 60+ feet of putts .... With my old putter. Looks like my old putter wants its spot back.
[/quote]
Anymore feedback on that putter?

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

That was one kick@ss review! Loved the blow by blow details. Looks like you've found a winner and, even worse, just as I thought my putter days were gonna cool off...I'm on the lookout for one myself...yes, Holy Grail...on bandwagon...must find one now...

Ok, snapping out of it for a moment, I LOVE the feel of the Black TD series. You said it's not like that. Is it crisp like the older Scotty Studio Selects? Or perhaps more like the new black Selects? I ask since I've abandoned a string of Odyssey Black series putters (i, Black, Black TD) for a center shafted Select that feels pretty good to me. Not a fan of the older, clickier, Studio Select series.

9* TM M5 w/GD AD BB-6
15* TM M6 w/Atmos
19* TM SIM Max w/Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex '19 w/KBS Tour
Callaway MD5 54*
Callaway PM Grind '19 58*
Odyssey StrokeLab Ten S (Tour only NO sightline) 33"

I am stuck between a number 2 or 3 in the protype series or a number 2 in the black! Also the original prototype that was made of 303 stainless steel I have heard feels almost like scotty"s german stainless steel putters so I cannot make up my mind what to get as the prototype was the begining of this outter and they suddenly switched to carbon steel!?! I also think the pt10 limited edition is one slick looking putter! I live in an area though where it's tough to try stuff without driving and hour and a half. Its actually really sad!

• 4 weeks later...

How is the feel of the Protypes compared to a Redwood, Scotty Select, White Ice, etc?
I like putters with crispness and some sound. The best feeling putter I've tried is a Kia Ma (monaco or imola), all black head from a few years ago. Carbon steel putters feel different from manufacturer to manufacturer, probably due to the different grades used. That Kia Ma was the chalkiest putter I've ever tried. I didn't buy it bc the head weight was slight. Looking for a putter that will make the ball feel like a chalk ball. A Byron matte carbon felt almost similar, but I did not like the setup of the 006/007. Too lazy to go to a golf store... may have to snatch it from ebay.

For what its worth I started a thread on a build I did a whike ago, w a black tour designs #9
Putter cost me $99 plus $45 for a flat black shaft from vibrant golf and $8 for the grip
Was the sickest looking putter , just like the OP's
I prefer the feel of the tour designs over the protype....but again as the OP mentioned feel is somewhat subjective

This thread is making me want to build another one!!! LOL!!

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great review! I just got my first #9 style putter after many years of putting with them in the shop and feeling like it was the right style for me... I can only hope it translate to the course! If not, I still have my old ones...

Driver: Epic SZ 10.5 665 Speeder

3 Wood: Epic Flash 
Hybrids: Epic 3 wood and 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Irons: Yamaha Inpres X V Forged Recoil 80 
Wedges: Vokey SM7 50, PM Grind 54/11 and 58/10
Putter: Cameron 2016 Golo 3

I have one of these I picked up on a road trip when my Yes pissed me off....

I didnt get the black, but got the ProType Tour #9. Awesome feel and roll off of this thing! Well done Odyssey!

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 6-U Dynamic Gold Mid

MG4 54/58 DG

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

I might just pull the trigger on this putter. I was looking at the Machine M9 (Stratton Copy) but I'll have to see how things go. Thanks for the review and recent update of your round.

TM M2 10.5° - Diamana BB 60s
15° TEE CB2 - Diamana BB 83s
19° Nike Covert 2.0 - Diamana BB 83s
5-PW Ping i210 - Recoil Prototype 110 F4
50° 54° 58° Cleveland Zipcore - KBS Tour Custom S
SC Classics Newport

• 7 months later...

[quote name='enis750' timestamp='1357949498' post='6212403']
For what its worth I started a thread on a build I did a whike ago, w a black tour designs #9
Putter cost me $99 plus $45 for a flat black shaft from vibrant golf and $8 for the grip
Was the sickest looking putter , just like the OP's
I prefer the feel of the tour designs over the protype....but again as the OP mentioned feel is somewhat subjective

This thread is making me want to build another one!!! LOL!!
[/quote]

Did the very same thing myself with a Wilson TPA XVIII - great minds really do think alike.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/901523-wilson-tpa-xviii-the-quest-for-the-new-excalibur-updated/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/901523-wilson-tpa-xviii-the-quest-for-the-new-excalibur-updated/[/url]

All in all the price was comparable to your own project or getting a second hand Del Mar but I'm proud that I restored a "classic" and knew that it was the weight, offset and face feel that I wanted in the bag.

That said, it is quite clear that I'm on here scoping out the next best thing, was a fan of the Protypes when they came out, not the Protype black is sucking me in.........

Good review.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0