2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

SkyPro - really impressive

I was really enjoying my SkyPro after getting it in the mail yesterday but it appears to have stopped working...

shut off in the middle of my range session today (with plenty of battery) and since then will not recognize my iphone. I have rebooted etc. but nothing works. Now when i plug the SkyPro in to charge i get the solid light (as if it is fully charged) which is not true.

hopefully the turnaround for getting a new one is quick as I was really enjoying the data from the device!

Stealth 9° Hzrdus Smoke Green 65tx

Mini Driver 300 13.5° Kiyoshi Purple 75x

Sim2 Ti 19° Kiyoshi Gold 75x

ZX5 4 & 5 PX LZ 6.0

ZX7 6-P $-taper HT 130

Scratch 1018 50° KBS Wedge

Fourteen RM4 55° & 60° PX LZ Wedge

Piretti Matera UST Frequency Filter

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use it to groove a good takeaway, Gord just did post how the half back should be. You can also use it to get more swingspeed. You can see if you your club has extremes at address or at impact. You can use it to stop overswinging stop a too much layed or crossed club at the top. As I understand there are many cool features coming.

Will there be a the ability to offer video as Swingbyte 2 does.? Even if 3D is not side by side with video but video used INSTEAD of 3d image.
Actually seeing your own swing with data to sort out might be quite nice. Hope that is in the works. I find Skypro to be quite useful. Changing swings at my age can be difficult but minimizing one's faults and increasing swing speed is doable. I enjoy what it offers but think the video aspect is even better than 3D. Do not know if video, if offered, would work for Ipad only or Ipad and phone

Today I had the time to go to the range and really get in a good practice session. I was, however, interrupted several times by my app calling for re-calibration of the Iphone. I can see this at the beginning of a session, but why is it occurring so often (6 times over a 45 minute period). Additionally, when I did do the calibration the initialization was very slow for 4 of the resets.

I could pose a bunch of questions, but think it more efficient if I just ask these and see if there are any on-point answers.

Thanks to all of you who post. Your comments are both interesting and educational. Thanks to Gord and Adam for their very attentive reading of the posts and their answers.

I thinks this instrument can prove to be a significant contributor to learning the game of golf.

I've had the same thing happen, sometimes, at random. I can't really figure it out.

A few times it's happened when someone walked past close by, possibly with a bluetooth thing on them. I guess wireless technology still isn't the best and is prone to interference and connection drops. However, if the thing disconnects and reconnects within, say, 30 seconds, it would be nice if it were able to recover and pick up where it left off w/o having to re-calibrate. Sort of in the same spirit of the "don't show me this again" checkboxes that were recently discussed, there's a few things that could be done to help day to day usability.

In other news, I'm just getting over the flu (yes, in August). I went to the range yesterday just to get some exercise but was still feeling pretty lousy, and I also caught the shanks in addition to the flu. The same thing happened last year. This time I was able to [b]see[/b] that I was way OTT for some reason and able to work it out instead of shanking the entire bucket like last year. Feeling almost normal again, I went back yesterday and the problem is gone, not so much OTT. Weird. Thanks to skypro for saving 3/4 of my bucket. :)

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

[quote name='Bucken77' timestamp='1359256478' post='6306047']
Any difference between this and the others like the 3bays/Swingbyte/Swingsmart?
[/quote]I tried Swingbyte 2....my son did research on all the products. the bottom line seems to be Skypro us the best and most reliable.
I have found a couple of faults in ,my swing...the rest is steady, like SS, tempo etc.
Used to go too inside by about 20 degrees and then back at + 3 degrees.
By trying to improve using Skypro, I have made adjustments that have me at -5 degree going back and +1 going thru (at half back position)
Very difficult to correct faults when you are 64 yrs old. However, I too am looking for the repeatable swing and find that instead of hitting balls like exercise, I am now able to work on my game with insight as to what I am actually doing. Only wish i could have the option to delete ALL SWINGS except those marked FAVORITE rather than individually having to delete 50 swings.
Also, some video of swing to go with 3D model would be nice because then you can take the numbers given and compare to actual swing.
Is there a cloud and where is it?. I know i have saved some on my Skypro on my Iphone but other than that, I do not understand the cloud.
I like practicing with a purpose

[quote name='vinerino' timestamp='1376220873' post='7652238']
[/quote]I tried Swingbyte 2....my son did research on all the products. the bottom line seems to be Skypro us the best and most reliable.
I have found a couple of faults in ,my swing...the rest is steady, like SS, tempo etc.
By trying to improve using Skypro, I have made adjustments that have me at -5 degree going back and +1 going thru (at half back position)
Very difficult to correct faults when you are 64 yrs old. However, I too am looking for the repeatable swing and find that instead of hitting balls like exercise, I am now able to work on my game with insight as to what I am actually doing. Only wish i could have the option to delete ALL SWINGS except those marked FAVORITE rather than individually having to delete 50 swings.
Also, some video of swing to go with 3D model would be nice because then you can take the numbers given and compare to actual swing.
Is there a cloud and where is it?. I know i have saved some on my Skypro on my Iphone but other than that, I do not understand the cloud.
[/quote]

Vinerino: I feel as you do...practice with a purpose. That said, here is what I have been doing. I have only just started so it is not perfected, but it is beginning to show promise. There is a video app called Ubersense and it has the bells and whistles for marking up a swing. Couple this with SP and it begins to make some good sense.

Here is what I do. First, note the swing number on the SP app. Leaving SP running in the background I then activate the Ubersense app and beginning filming. As I hit shots that I like I give the camera a thumbs up, or if no one is around, I say a brief description of the shot which is picked up by my iphone (or I suspect an ipad). When I finish and get home I then compare my SP swing data with my videos. I do that by counting the swings on the video to the first thumbs up and then located the corresponding swing on the SP. I know it sounds "hookey", but I feel that I am getting some good video with data that I have never had before.

Give it a try then share your experience so we all can learn. Or, if you come across something better share that too.

[quote name='"GIMP"' timestamp='1376223536' post='7652304']
[/quote]

Vinerino: I feel as you do...practice with a purpose. That said, here is what I have been doing. I have only just started so it is not perfected, but it is beginning to show promise. There is a video app called Ubersense and it has the bells and whistles for marking up a swing. Couple this with SP and it begins to make some good sense.

Here is what I do. First, note the swing number on the SP app. Leaving SP running in the background I then activate the Ubersense app and beginning filming. As I hit shots that I like I give the camera a thumbs up, or if no one is around, I say a brief description of the shot which is picked up by my iphone (or I suspect an ipad). When I finish and get home I then compare my SP swing data with my videos. I do that by counting the swings on the video to the first thumbs up and then located the corresponding swing on the SP. I know it sounds "hookey", but I feel that I am getting some good video with data that I have never had before.

Give it a try then share your experience so we all can learn. Or, if you come across something better share that too.
[/quote]Thanks I will try...however it can be a lot simpler if Skypro does what Swingbyte 2 does.....it puts side by side the 3D swing and the video of your actual swing.
If Swingbyte can do it, Skypro ought to be able. Anyone would much rather see a video of their swing rather than 3d image. even if it was not side by side with 3D, but either/or, I would choose the video of me swinging.

I've requested the side-by-side video feature that Swingbyte offers in their app earlier. Don't know if it's in queue or whether SkyPro will offer it. Any updates, Gord?

If this feature is offered, it would help users triangulate some of the Half-Back metrics that SP is pushing out. I've been using my SB2 more now since the UX is so much easier on an iPad than the iPhone SP app. BTW, has anyone used or know of any good iPad tripod mounts? I'm digging the the SB setup.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT20qNHtnlw[/media]

I still believe a video camera is the best training aid, but with the incorporation of a swing analyzer makes for the ultimate diagnostic tool.

[quote name='SF15' timestamp='1376255536' post='7654954']
I've requested the side-by-side video feature that Swingbyte offers in their app earlier. Don't know if it's in queue or whether SkyPro will offer it. Any updates, Gord?

If this feature is offered, it would help users triangulate some of the Half-Back metrics that SP is pushing out. I've been using my SB2 more now since the UX is so much easier on an iPad than the iPhone SP app. BTW, has anyone used or know of any good iPad tripod mounts? I'm digging the the SB setup.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT20qNHtnlw[/media]

I still believe a video camera is the best training aid, but with the incorporation of a swing analyzer makes for the ultimate diagnostic tool.
[/quote]
Check out CaddieBuddy.com. Call and you will talk to the inventor and company owner. Nice guy and very accommodating. Good products.

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's what I tried doing but skypro would miss swings when running in the background and V1 or ubersense was in the foreground. This made it impossible to correlate video with skyPro data. I haven't tried since the update but I made Gord aware of this a long time ago.

[quote name='"GIMP"' timestamp='1376274511' post='7657510']

[/quote]
Check out CaddieBuddy.com. Call and you will talk to the inventor and company owner. Nice guy and very accommodating. Good products.
[/quote]

Thanks GIMP. Have you used the Caddie Buddy yourself? Any pros/cons? They have one mount for the iPad and one for the mini. If there was a base plate with telescopic arms that could accommodate both sizes, that would be ideal for users that have multiple tablet sizes.

[quote name='SF15' timestamp='1376343173' post='7663072']
[quote name='"GIMP"' timestamp='1376274511' post='7657510']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks GIMP. Have you used the Caddie Buddy yourself? Any pros/cons? They have one mount for the iPad and one for the mini. If there was a base plate with telescopic arms that could accommodate both sizes, that would be ideal for users that have multiple tablet sizes.
[/quote]
Yes, I have used the cart mount and the ipad mount. Both work well. Additionally there is and attachment for a camera that I have also used. As to the items you listed I do not know. Call Mike and ask him, he is very accommodating.

[quote name='swingnmiss' timestamp='1376315172' post='7659406']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That's what I tried doing but skypro would miss swings when running in the background and V1 or ubersense was in the foreground. This made it impossible to correlate video with skyPro data. I haven't tried since the update but I made Gord aware of this a long time ago.
[/quote]
You are correct. As I said it is not perfect or even close, but at this point it is too soon to tell. And, if SP can solve the missed swing issue I wrote about earlier then the count will be much closer...or lets hope so.

Hi Guys, sorry for the late reply!

dhirajsb: Good suggestions about the golfer avatar. There is an LED inside the SkyPro. We found that it was barely visible, especially in the daylight, and particularly on some devices, so we didn't include anything about it in the help. If you can see it, however, it indicates your connection status. When it's not connected to a phone it blinks quickly. When it is connected to a phone it switches to a slow pulsing pattern.

tour_blu: I just want to make sure customer support took care of you? If not please private message me!

rossonero: We have been working on something that contains a compilation of information about the various checkpoints. Hope to have it out in a month or so.

Gimp & Jim Newton: Yes the recalibration after a Bluetooth hiccup has been an issue. Previously, we always requested calibration when a device disconnected and then reconnected. However, this turned out to force way too many unnecessary re-calibrations. So, in the most recent update, we changed the software and firmware to be more intelligent about restoring calibrations. If your SkyPro disconnects, and then quickly reconnects (or your app crashes) you should NOT get requested to recalibrate... if you do, make sure you have the most recent update. If you still do, please let me know, and we'll make the software and firmware even more intelligent!

Jim Newton: No problem on helping save 3/4 of your bucket! :). I'm glad to hear SkyPro is helping out.

Thanks to all for bringing up video. It is in the queue, but all your votes will help bump it up. Clearly it's something that a lot of people want. (Same goes for better swing deletion tools)

Gord

Customer service already got me a new one, thanks!

And +1 for video...

Stealth 9° Hzrdus Smoke Green 65tx

Mini Driver 300 13.5° Kiyoshi Purple 75x

Sim2 Ti 19° Kiyoshi Gold 75x

ZX5 4 & 5 PX LZ 6.0

ZX7 6-P $-taper HT 130

Scratch 1018 50° KBS Wedge

Fourteen RM4 55° & 60° PX LZ Wedge

Piretti Matera UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='schall87' timestamp='1375636198' post='7602002']
Hey guys,

Has anyone had any problems entering custom measurements for their clubs? I'm referring to the pencil icon, in the top right hand corner of the "calibration successful" screen.

For example, I play Bridgestone J36 Blade irons. My club lies, lofts, & lengths are different than the skypro default. I calibrated my 6 iron, and clicked the pencil icon out of curiosity. Then I went to the Bridgestone website and looked up the specs for my irons:

MY 6 iron:
Loft: 31*
Lie: 62.5*
Length: 37.25in

When I tried to adjust the given numbers for my 6 iron, the app hung up and crashed. I reset everything and tried again, and it did it 3 times in a row.
This may be a bug, or I may be doing something wrong. Either way, I have an additional suggestion. Would it be possible to allow users to enter and save the data for their entire club set into their "profile" in the app, so the skypro automatically knows and saves the difference in lies, lofts, etc? That may be something beneficial to incorporate into the initial "unboxing" set up. It could be optional. I am not even sure if those differences are important, I just wanted to toss this out.

So far everything else is great.

Thanks,
Sam
[/quote]

I ran into the exact same problem. I'm using an iPhone 4, FWIW.

Hi Swingnmiss & Schall87, you're right - there is a bug in the club editing. I've managed to find it and fix it already. This will be included in the next app update.

GIMP, and those in the Dashboard beta program who are having trouble getting their swings to upload, please make sure of the following two things:[list=1]
[*]That you are currently logged into ClubSG (you can check this by tapping the settings button at the upper left of the screen and then tapping the "My Profile" row.
[*]That you are on WiFi - right now swings only upload if you're on WiFi.
[/list]
HIRO.G: We're working on various new checkpoints now. Unfortunately ball flight simulation probably won't be feasible anytime soon - there are just two many variables we don't know to accurately predict the ball path.

Gord

[quote name='gparke' timestamp='1377221775' post='7728918']
Hi Swingnmiss & Schall87, you're right - there is a bug in the club editing. I've managed to find it and fix it already. This will be included in the next app update.

GIMP, and those in the Dashboard beta program who are having trouble getting their swings to upload, please make sure of the following two things:[list=1]
[*]That you are currently logged into ClubSG (you can check this by tapping the settings button at the upper left of the screen and then tapping the "My Profile" row.
[*]That you are on WiFi - right now swings only upload if you're on WiFi.
[/list]
HIRO.G: We're working on various new checkpoints now. Unfortunately ball flight simulation probably won't be feasible anytime soon - there are just two many variables we don't know to accurately predict the ball path.

Gord
[/quote]

Gord,

Let's put this into a real life situation for clarity purposes.
I take my SP and iphone/ipad to the range. I hit balls. All my swings are recorded somewhere, I presume in the "clouds" and not within the app on my iphone/ipad. No Wi-Fi is present during this session.
Conclusion: I will not be able to see the recorded swings show up in the Dashboard (beta)? In other words, when I open my computer at home all the "cloud" swings are not downloaded to the Dashboard, is that correct?

Next point, the SP is a transmitter and not a transmitter/storage unit. So, if I go to the range and only have the SP attached to my club and my iphone/ipad is not near, or turned off, none of the swings I execute will be recorded/saved, is this correct?

Hi Gimp, good questions.

[quote][color=#282828]I take my SP and iphone/ipad to the range. I hit balls. All my swings are recorded somewhere, I presume in the "clouds" and not within the app on my iphone/ipad. No Wi-Fi is present during this session.[/color][/quote]

In this case the swings will be stored within our app on your iPhone/iPad. If there is no WiFi, they will not be uploaded because swings can take up a lot of data, and we don't want to use up your cellular data plan (we do plan to have an option for this though in the future). Instead, it will queue these swings for future upload when your iPhone or iPad is connected to WiFi.

[quote][color=#282828]Conclusion: I will not be able to see the recorded swings show up in the Dashboard (beta)? In other words, when I open my computer at home all the "cloud" swings are not downloaded to the Dashboard, is that correct?[/color][/quote]

This depends - if you came home and didn't connect to WiFi or open your SkyPro app, not yet. If you have opened SkyPro while connected to WiFi at home, the swings [i]should [/i]have uploaded.

[quote][color=#282828]Next point, the SP is a transmitter and not a transmitter/storage unit. So, if I go to the range and only have the SP attached to my club and my iphone/ipad is not near, or turned off, none of the swings I execute will be recorded/saved, is this correct? [/color][/quote]

This is another good question. SkyPro actually has built in memory for 32 swings. So it is not just a transmitter - it is actually is a transmitter and storage unit. The one caveat is that a SkyPro must know its club calibration first - so you have to calibrate it to a club before going out on the course (and not take your SkyPro off the club while you play).

Gord

I have been quietly sitting back using my skypro and reading comment in this thread for months now, but today I had to take a few minutes to comment on Gord and the staff at Skypro.

The customer service these guys are giving is absolutely fantastic. I have really enjoyed using my skypro from the day I purchased the unit and it's been helping me improve my swing consistently. But my unit (one of the first in Regina) started to show the tell tale signs of the first generation of units with the weakened seam that holds the two halves together, so I stopped using it before it broke apart and sent Gord an email to inquire about it.

Well in less than 5 hours from the first email I sent to Gord inquiring about weather I should crazy glue it, or tighten the screw etc. they have a replacement on it's way to me. VERY IMPRESSED

A lot of companies could learn a thing or two from these guys, and I wish more companies stood behind their products like these guys do.

Love the app, love the updates, and even more love the way they listen to customers for ideas and implement those ideas into the software.

The skypro in my opinion is by far the best swing analyzer that a person could buy for personal use.

I look forward to the next update, and really appreciate the service guys.

AWSOME
Todd

[quote name='gparke' timestamp='1377279846' post='7732605']
Hi Gimp, good questions.

[quote][color=#282828]I take my SP and iphone/ipad to the range. I hit balls. All my swings are recorded somewhere, I presume in the "clouds" and not within the app on my iphone/ipad. No Wi-Fi is present during this session.[/color][/quote]

In this case the swings will be stored within our app on your iPhone/iPad. If there is no WiFi, they will not be uploaded because swings can take up a lot of data, and we don't want to use up your cellular data plan (we do plan to have an option for this though in the future). Instead, it will queue these swings for future upload when your iPhone or iPad is connected to WiFi.

[quote][color=#282828]Conclusion: I will not be able to see the recorded swings show up in the Dashboard (beta)? In other words, when I open my computer at home all the "cloud" swings are not downloaded to the Dashboard, is that correct?[/color][/quote]

This depends - if you came home and didn't connect to WiFi or open your SkyPro app, not yet. If you have opened SkyPro while connected to WiFi at home, the swings [i]should [/i]have uploaded.

[quote][color=#282828]Next point, the SP is a transmitter and not a transmitter/storage unit. So, if I go to the range and only have the SP attached to my club and my iphone/ipad is not near, or turned off, none of the swings I execute will be recorded/saved, is this correct? [/color][/quote]

This is another good question. SkyPro actually has built in memory for 32 swings. So it is not just a transmitter - it is actually is a transmitter and storage unit. The one caveat is that a SkyPro must know its club calibration first - so you have to calibrate it to a club before going out on the course (and not take your SkyPro off the club while you play).

Gord
[/quote]
Gord,
I would add to your comment above that when connection is made that the user needs to be [i][u]logged in[/u][/i] at both the skygolf club sg website and logged in on the app under [u]MY PROFILE.[/u]
Pat
P.S. To TJSlayer: This product is great, but you are right, the service and response is even greater.

A few valuable suggestions. I have been playing for about a year and love skypro. One suggestion is to have the ability to mark a swing as left or right or hook slice fade etc. It could be that club sg collects all this data from users and is able to make suggested predictions about ball flight like had been suggested by several. I'm a huge data/programming geek, and want to analyze patterns in my swing. I have the dash board, but none of titles or comments show up there. This could be a first step in being able to identify these patterns. What would be great is the ability to download the raw data, like the full data table in the app (but should include swing titles instead of swing number) into excel and manipulate the data any way that I want. I feel like I have plateaued with skypro because sometimes my grooved swing still produces bad results and think I need to dig into the data more.