2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

SkyPro - really impressive

[quote name='Golfwarrior' timestamp='1374132679' post='7479694']
So who's shooting lower scores, swinging bettter since they picked one of these up?
[/quote]
I am finally scoring lower. I went into this season as a 3.0 HCP, but have always come quite OTT but never did anything about it. I never realized how bad the OTT was, but when the pressure was on the hooks came out like crazy. The skypro KILLED my scores for the first month. Mid 80's were regular and a high 70's round was good, which was a poor round last season.

I am a very avid range visitor and the skypro was helping on the range but the swing went back or at least somewhat back to old ways on the course. Recently my range decided to ditch its discount card to buy tokens in bulk so I said F*** the range and bought a mat and net. I've been practicing much more similar to course play lately. With the net I can take 5 swings with the skypro, work on something in the garage, take 5 more swings and so on. It seems like doing this my swing has been much more learned by muscle memory.

Suddenly since starting this new practice regimen, 72,75,73,71,69, including 6 straight birdies in a round yesterday. I feel like I can now aggressively fire away at pins without the fear of the random snap hook and OB. My miss now is a slight fade, which is much more comfortable to watch than a snap hook.

I have 1,300 swings on the skypro and i can see the scores dropping more and more as I use the device.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1374359739' post='7500852']
So who's shooting lower scores, swinging bettter since they picked one of these up?
[/quote]
I am finally scoring lower. I went into this season as a 3.0 HCP, but have always come quite OTT but never did anything about it. I never realized how bad the OTT was, but when the pressure was on the hooks came out like crazy. The skypro KILLED my scores for the first month. Mid 80's were regular and a high 70's round was good, which was a poor round last season.

I am a very avid range visitor and the skypro was helping on the range but the swing went back or at least somewhat back to old ways on the course. Recently my range decided to ditch its discount card to buy tokens in bulk so I said F*** the range and bought a mat and net. I've been practicing much more similar to course play lately. With the net I can take 5 swings with the skypro, work on something in the garage, take 5 more swings and so on. It seems like doing this my swing has been much more learned by muscle memory.

Suddenly since starting this new practice regimen, 72,75,73,71,69, including 6 straight birdies in a round yesterday. I feel like I can not aggressively fire away at pins without the fear of the random snap hook and OB. My miss now is a slight fade, which is much more comfortable to watch than a snap hook.

I have 1,300 swings on the skypro and i can see the scores dropping more and more as I use the device.
[/quote]

Wow!! This is my story to a tee as well. No kidding. I also use it into a net in my garage, and bring results to the course. Stay with it, you'll be working the ball at will easily soon! Congrats! Great story!!

I am really confused about the halfway up and halfway down face angles. What should be the appropriate range for these. Why are the alerts for these shut off by default? The ranges for the alerts is +/- 60 for the halfway back and +/- 90 for the halfway down. These dont seem really. Can someone please help me understand these two metrics?

Thanks,
Eric

I read the comments about adding additional swing monitors and looked them up on Google. None attach to the club. None are small and compact. None can match the very reasonable price of SP. I have opted to go with SP. I, too, have set up a very makeshift indoor range in my basement. I went to Hancock fabrics and picked up some mesh for about 8.00, then to Golf Galaxy to pick up indoor practice balls price ? and a hitting mat with fairway and rough simulation. So, my investement is very modest and now I can use my SP indoors-in a relatively confined space and outdoors. Pretty flexible. Did not see that with the other measuring devices mentioned.

Next query! A app is available for iphone that is stated to be an upgrade of previous version. It is called PGA Tour Caddie. Just downloaded it and it looks like it might have possibilities. Using a caddie mount (caddiemount.com) I can attach my it with my phone and video swings. Now the question, "is it possible to transfer my results from my SP to this app to blend the data? I am clueless when it comes to some of this stuff. Or, can anyone recommend an app where data from SP can be blended with a video.

My idea is, after reading the posts of many, is this. If we can blend the information from SP with a video then the degree data etc. could me transferred to the video where it could be reviewed. I know in the app mentioned above lines can be drawn on video that give data.

This is just an idea, but if anyone can add some hard "how-to-do" to flesh it out would be appreciated.

Also, I forgot to add another app that generates angle data: Ubersense's Golf Coach and Swing Analysis. Once again, it would be helpful if someone with more tech know-how than I could put all this stuff together.

I have had mine for a few days now. I have a lot of trouble getting it to calibrate. If I cannot get this fixed it's back to Skygolf for this unit. I tried to get it on my 7 iron and it finally identified the club so I hit the next button and got a message that Skypro does not know what club I am using! This happened a few times. What is the secret to the calibration or is it just my unit? It pares well with my iPhone but does not like to calibrate. I think it may have been released too soon.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Hi Maverick,

If you see the "Oops, SkyPro didn't know what club it was on!" message, just ignore it and try taking a swing. The reason it's still there is that SkyPro shows you your previous swing when you finish calibrating. The problem is that if that previous swing wasn't calibrated, it will show you the "oops you need to calibrate" message for that previous swing.

Also, If calibration is taking a while, try moving your club faster and making sure your phone doesn't slip on the face. It should only take a few seconds. We're working on making our calibration easier with each update. There is one that should be arriving this week which should help.

WedgeFromHere: That would work, although another option is to hit the "pencil" icon button on the last screen in calibration. This allows you to edit your clubs, so you could increase each by a inch.

DFinch (and others): Swingnmiss is correct about target line. Shaft Lean and Takeaway Angle are impacted by your setup. My suggestion would be to purposefully open and close your face at address a bit and see the results.

SF15: Thanks for the information and suggestions. I've put them on our list. Two things I wanted to mention: you can delete swings right now by pushing the edit button at the bottom left. You can also start a new session, named or not, by scrolling up above the top of the last swing, and tapping the "New Group" text field. This allows you to start a new session. We are planning to do more advanced data logging in the future.

Nscosper and SunOfGolf: Thanks for posting your experiences! Glad to hear it :)

[quote name='gparke' timestamp='1374549391' post='7519144']
Hi Maverick,

If you see the "Oops, SkyPro didn't know what club it was on!" message, just ignore it and try taking a swing. The reason it's still there is that SkyPro shows you your previous swing when you finish calibrating. The problem is that if that previous swing wasn't calibrated, it will show you the "oops you need to calibrate" message for that previous swing.

Also, If calibration is taking a while, try moving your club faster and making sure your phone doesn't slip on the face. It should only take a few seconds. We're working on making our calibration easier with each update. There is one that should be arriving this week which should help.

WedgeFromHere: That would work, although another option is to hit the "pencil" icon button on the last screen in calibration. This allows you to edit your clubs, so you could increase each by a inch.

DFinch (and others): Swingnmiss is correct about target line. Shaft Lean and Takeaway Angle are impacted by your setup. My suggestion would be to purposefully open and close your face at address a bit and see the results.

SF15: Thanks for the information and suggestions. I've put them on our list. Two things I wanted to mention: you can delete swings right now by pushing the edit button at the bottom left. You can also start a new session, named or not, by scrolling up above the top of the last swing, and tapping the "New Group" text field. This allows you to start a new session. We are planning to do more advanced data logging in the future.

Nscosper and SunOfGolf: Thanks for posting your experiences! Glad to hear it :)
[/quote]

Thanks, my post was a little premature and I apologize to all for that. I did find all the info I entered and one club it did calibrate even though it said it was not recognized. I know some of my faults and they show up on the playbacks. I have a lot of info to digest but I can see how working with this can improve my game quite a bit. At least my 'good' swings produced sufficient SS numbers. So there is hope.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/112812/understanding-swing-direction-vs-swing-path/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/112812/understanding-swing-direction-vs-swing-path/[/url] good read about swing direction vs swing path..

is it possible for these kind of features be available on SkyPro? i mean, i like so see where my ball flight would be and estimation perhaps not 100% accurately.. if i tried to reply my swing on my iphone at the end i can see the ball flight a little, can that simulation be extend...

swing direction vs swing path.. sky pro already cover the swing path and i believe its possible to see the ball flight direction...

I got the unit yesterday, very excited. It took 1:45 to charge up. Initial pairing and screwing around inside with a practice ball went well. As others have said, It'd be nice if there was an "indoor" mode that would adjust the sensitivity of how it detects impact - it seemed like I really had to hit down on it and follow through to get the swing to be detected.

Overall my swing with a PW looks pretty well on plane, and I'm a bit surprised at how consistent I was. We'll see tonight outdoors with the driver how bad I really am. I'm in for a very long range session tonight - will probably have some more feedback.

And again as others have said, having a few pro swings in there to compare too would be absolutely huge. I can workout the inconsistencies in my swing A/B/C, but if I can't compare those to someone who really knows what they're doing it's not necessarily steering me in the best direction. Is it possible to share swings amongst ourselves? If someone here is a single digit and could send me a few of theirs to look at that might be a good workaround for the time being.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

[quote name='gparke' timestamp='1374549391' post='7519144']
[/quote]

Thanks Gord. I had some more time to play with the app and saw the Edit button in the Alert Settings for the range options. In Swing mode, I only see Compare and Favorite options when I press a swing. In Plane mode, I only see Favorite. I don't see an Edit button at the bottom left in either Swing or Plane mode. There should just be a Delete button when you press a swing and not have to navigate a second menu to access the delete function. Do I need to create a ClubSG account? I prefer to be able to use the SP offline without having to login into an account and use data to store my swings to the cloud.

In terms of design and UI, I find as one becomes more proficient with the SP the Full Data Table becomes the default screen. Usability can be improved if one can specify what stats and in what order can be displayed on the screen. Also, having different color options to group particular data points is easier on the eyes than all orange. Lastly, in the Swing mode use blue for backswing and red overlay for downswing.

On the "indoor" mode, I noticed the Oops msg pops up for brushing-the-mat swings without a ball so I'm thinking it's attributed to the calibration process of having to center the dot in the center, which equates to some contact in the center of the clubface. Now when I take brushing-the-mat swings and use a foam ball, there are no issues for the swings to register. Is that a fair assessment or can the sensor-calibration process be tweaked more sensitive for just below the center of the clubface for users that don't have the room, time to set up a net for indoor swings on a mat without a ball?

[quote name='"GIMP"' timestamp='1374577851' post='7520256']
Swingnmiss: I do not know what you mean by "search for the Not allowed because of spam review" comment. Please clarify?
[/quote]

Ha, sorry, looks like they don't let you mention a particular site. Google for "my golf spy swing trainer buyer's guide".

[/quote]

Suddenly since starting this new practice regimen, 72,75,73,71,69, including 6 straight birdies in a round yesterday. I feel like I can not aggressively fire away at pins without the fear of the random snap hook and OB. My miss now is a slight fade, which is much more comfortable to watch than a snap hook.

[/quote]

Thank you for the review, awesome

Well, my backswing is absolutely ridiculous. Very big, long, languid, probably very arm-ey. 25-35 degrees PAST parallel with the driver. There's your wild inconsistency. SS was between 111-117 normally, got it up to 121 when I really went at it. Probably if I can make a sound swing it should be around 120 given my amazing strength. ( :taunt:)
:
The only thing i'm a bit confused about so far is why is there are only club choices for "PW, LW" ... Where is "PW, GW, SW, LW" or better yet 46,47....63,64. You've got 1I and 2I in there, where is GW and SW? If I "edit" the PW club to be my 52 GW, do I have to edit it again everytime when I go back to my 48 PW?

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]

[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1374685001' post='7530210']
Well, my backswing is absolutely ridiculous. Very big, long, languid, probably very arm-ey. 25-35 degrees PAST parallel with the driver. There's your wild inconsistency. SS was between 111-117 normally, got it up to 121 when I really went at it. Probably if I can make a sound swing it should be around 120 given my amazing strength. ( :taunt:)
:
[/quote]
Jim, Skypro is phenomenal at shortening your back-swing. When I first got it it was the first thing I tried to groove. I knew my swing was too long. The Skypro graphic confirmed it. Then I Just grooved it well short of parallel. It stuck in no time. I never go beyond now, and I'm much more connected.

I also tested say a 9 to 3 swing. It was pretty eye opening on trying to nail a 9 o'clock feeling with the shaft vertical. I had a hard time grooving that. That was my first "holy #$%%" moment, "feel is NOT real". I would think I was just swinging to 9, but in reality I was MUCH past it. I think you slicefixer swing guys would benefit from this approach, measuring what 9 o'clock REALLY is instantly, and grooving the feel to correct it.

[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1374685001' post='7530210']
The only thing i'm a bit confused about so far is why is there are only club choices for "PW, LW" ... Where is "PW, GW, SW, LW" or better yet 46,47....63,64. You've got 1I and 2I in there, where is GW and SW? If I "edit" the PW club to be my 52 GW, do I have to edit it again everytime when I go back to my 48 PW?
[/quote]

I'd have to agree with Jim on this one. I wish there were more choices for wedges, as I found I was doing the same thing. Changing the loft settings switching between my wedges, and they all were identified as LW. Gord & Skypro Team, if you can take that into consideration, that would be great! Maybe give us options on how our wedges are labeled, and more selections.

Hey everybody,

Over the next few weeks we'll be progressively rolling out our online SkyPro Dashboard. We've been working really hard on this, and listening to what you wanted to see in it.

As we start activating customer Dashboard accounts, we are going to be keeping our ear close to the ground on what you like and what you don't. As a Thank You to the GolfWRX community (for all of your feedback) we wanted to provide everyone here with the chance to be the first on the list to preview the dashboard.

I have attached a link below to get your name at the top. In the coming weeks we will be allowing the rest of SkyPro customers a chance to try the preview, but you guys are first.

Keep in mind this is a Beta Preview, so we are still making some changes - but I wanted to provide you with a chance to see what all of your collected swing data looks like. It's pretty cool!

Check it out:
[url="http://www.myskypro.com/try"]http://www.myskypro.com/try[/url]

Thanks,
-adam

Cool, also sent a request

I'm sure this is out of line but if you could open source the software on github it'd probably be the best way forward. You'd still make your money through sales of the device and would gain much bandwidth from the community. I doubt I'm the only one with this device that can hack objective C. The IOS build deployment process may prohibit that anyway, I'm really not sure.

In short I already have 2 or 3 (small) bugs to report, and probably 5 or 6 enhancement ideas. Rather than spam them here it'd be nice to have access to a [i]bug tracker. [/i]I hope that is what you are going for with the link above.

SKYPRO is great i learn golf without a coach this thing can help me see my swing.. since i got it i only have 1-2 alerts on my swing and usually that because my back swing past parallel, hopefully my input for followthrough can be on new update i want to know if my swing is draw fade push or pull on follow through... a goorve for lag, and a ball flight simulation this will make skypro PERFECT!

[quote name='SunOfGolf' timestamp='1374361757' post='7501010']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow!! This is my story to a tee as well. No kidding. I also use it into a net in my garage, and bring results to the course. Stay with it, you'll be working the ball at will easily soon! Congrats! Great story!!
[/quote]
I initially read you're reply to my post and was wondering what in the world you meant by working the ball with ease. Then I re read my post and it said I can not aggressively go at pins, it should have said I can NOW aggressively go at pins.
Man, one letter sure made that read a lot different.
Since I've made these changes with the skypro I can really fire away, whether its with a wedge or a 5 iron, they all feel like I'm going to stick it tight and it seems like I am a lot anymore. Getting my swing plane closer to on plane has also allowed me to work the ball so much easier than before. I used to not be able to hit a fade with any control, EVER. Now I can hit it between 10 and 50 yards left to right with a 3 wood with a ton of control. Its made some of those dog leg right holes a LOT easier! Hitting a hook is harder than before, but it was hard not to hit a hook with my old swing so thats a good thing. I can't wait for the app improvements and the new online beta program will hopefully be awesome! Can't wait!

I was just activated on the new Beta Dashboard.

One of the knocks I've seen on the skypro has been the apps overall statistical display. This dashboard definitely makes up for that. I'm not sure anyone would need the full spread of stats while at the range but analyzing them afterwards is now available with this dashboard. It breaks every session down by date and club. Then shows you averages for several important swing stats. It will also show the full spread of swing stats for the session. One interesting dynamic they have on it that isn't on the app is hand speed. Seems like an interesting stat and one I'm not sure I've ever seen before.

The potential of this dashboard is limitless. I'm sure we will see animated swings, more stats and probably even a good side by side swing comparison soon.

Very cool and well done for an initial beta release!

I have been using Skypro and found that my usage on cellular data was going up dramatically. Never had that before and had limited plan to begin with. So I turned off my cellular data when using my Skypro and then can download it when I get to my house which has wi fi.
Am I understanding this correctly. My son says it should be simply bluetooth and there should be no cellular data usa.
After all, there is no library that it goes to at this time...or is there.

Also, does anyone know how I can take a swing that I have on my Skypro and email it to someone?