2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SkyPro - really impressive

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Can someone help me on what I should be working on first. My average takeaway is around 12 deg outside, Average at top is 32 deg (bowed) and Average of 9 deg across the line.

My halfway back angle is not far off my top of swing. My major fault is from half way my arms just seem to work club flat and behind me and not up.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Shawse - Hi i'm Gord, one of the original founders of SkyPro. It's hard to say what to work on first without more information, but I would suggest trying to get your takeaway angle closer to 0°. I think that could help keep your swing on a more vertical plane and keep your arms from working the club flat like you mentioned. I can also confirm that the takeaway angle @ half-back is our most popular parameter in groove sessions, so it seems that other people have found this helpful to work on as well. If you'd like to send me your swing, PM me and I can take a look.

DaveMac - I agree with what you said completely, and that visualization is a good idea. I'd also mention to ACP that working on getting a more forward shaft lean may help as well.

ChicagoCook - Glad you like the device! As BHB1 mentioned, Android is a priority right now for us, but we're looking on what to focus on next. You mentioned video - that's at the top of our list - but what other kinds of information would you like to see at transition?

Thanks to everyone for posting!

Gord

Hi Gord

Thanks for the update on SkyPro development progress. You must be getting closer to video integration if you are asking for more wish list items?

Anyway, I would like to see some information on lag, if at all possible. The video would show some of this possibly - at least one of my pros reckons he can see lag on video looking down the line towards target. Problem is iPhone/iPad camera is just very slow. (I did experiment with a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, which has much faster video FPS, but files are big and I have had a lot of trouble importing them into iPad for analysis).

Perhaps you can provide some data on club head position, versus hand position, during the down swing (shaft lean v hand position), especially between half way back and impact? Don't know if you could also analyse the swing speed profile for a lag release acceleration during the down swing?

EDIT: I see that the SkyPro info on Club Head Speed suggests that lag can be seen/determined in the club head speed profile. I had a look at the Goalby/Haas/Gulbis pro swings, which SkyPro have provided, but it is not obvious that there is any increased club head acceleration from lag release as the club nears the impact with the ball.

Anyway, just some thoughts for discussion.

Easy fast comment editing of the swing immediately after swing to notate whether swing was good, sliced, hooked, etc. etc. would be good for review after the range session has finished and later historical review to see any improvements made over time.

The calendar function was disabled some time ago due to software bag and insufficient time to correct this before the update. I would like some way to quickly move to an older swing rather than having to swipe through a few hundred swings. I realise the filter would identify a particular club, but most of my swings are probably with the driver, so doesn't help much.

Cheers

BHB1

[quote name='gparke' timestamp='1409684864' post='10051093']
Hi Guys,

Shawse - Hi i'm Gord, one of the original founders of SkyPro. It's hard to say what to work on first without more information, but I would suggest trying to get your takeaway angle closer to 0°. I think that could help keep your swing on a more vertical plane and keep your arms from working the club flat like you mentioned. I can also confirm that the takeaway angle @ half-back is our most popular parameter in groove sessions, so it seems that other people have found this helpful to work on as well. If you'd like to send me your swing, PM me and I can take a look.

DaveMac - I agree with what you said completely, and that visualization is a good idea. I'd also mention to ACP that working on getting a more forward shaft lean may help as well.

ChicagoCook - Glad you like the device! As BHB1 mentioned, Android is a priority right now for us, but we're looking on what to focus on next. You mentioned video - that's at the top of our list - but what other kinds of information would you like to see at transition?

Thanks to everyone for posting!

Gord
[/quote]

Hi Gord
Thanks for the update. As many have said video would be nice I also agree that the ability to quickly speak a comment would be good.

I have mentioned previously that the functionality to be able to select a range of swings, e.g. By date or selection or club and then see the data and more specifically the alerts so we can see what is the most common alert so you know what to groove.
Keep rocking it's a great product

Just received my SkyPro a few hours ago and I already know the primary reason for my occasional inconsistency. At this point I'd say that this was a wise investment. Now I just need to get my swing fixed. Tomorrow afternoon I'll be giving the groove mode a try!

As a numbers geek, I'm loving the SkyPro already and I haven't even gotten started...

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='rebby' timestamp='1410840123' post='10124525']
Just received my SkyPro a few hours ago and I already know the primary reason for my occasional inconsistency. At this point I'd say that this was a wise investment. Now I just need to get my swing fixed. Tomorrow afternoon I'll be giving the groove mode a try!

As a numbers geek, I'm loving the SkyPro already and I haven't even gotten started...
[/quote]

Got mine yesterday, took it to the range today and used it with my 6 iron, 7W, and Driver. I started golfing in 1957 but this is the first time I've ever seen my swing, and could immediately see a couple of things repeated in every club that need to be addressed, even without the alerts which are wonderfully informative. I've got some direction for my next range sessions. Fantastic technology and product.

Really really [i]really[/i] glad I bought it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. The info shared here is great, and the info the device gives is exactly what I need. How often do you guys find you use it on average?

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

I basically use it on every range session (bar the few times I forget the device at home) and I also use it in the garden with practise swings (e.g. hitting foam balls). But I guess it all depends on what you are working on. I constantly fight a long backswing so I use the backswing length groove mode on every session.

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1413205189' post='10277533']
I basically use it on every range session (bar the few times I forget the device at home) and I also use it in the garden with practise swings (e.g. hitting foam balls). But I guess it all depends on what you are working on. I constantly fight a long backswing so I use the backswing length groove mode on every session.
[/quote]

Great stuff, I struggle with a long backswing too, do you find that it is helping? Is the feedback enough to feel like you are making a difference on the length? If I could just get it shorter then I know I'd be hitting better shots.

WITB

Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

[quote name='Garush34' timestamp='1413212283' post='10278119']
[/quote]

Great stuff, I struggle with a long backswing too, do you find that it is helping? Is the feedback enough to feel like you are making a difference on the length? If I could just get it shorter then I know I'd be hitting better shots.
[/quote]

Yes my backswing is gradually getting shorter but I need to work on it regularly otherwise it is getting longer again. That's why I do at least one groove session during every range session.

The groove mode really is your friend. I am trying to fix a little loop on the top of my backswing that is caused by the 'hit' impulse from the top. When I hit a ball the club goes across the line on top, when I do a practise swing this doesn't happen (as I swing more and not try to hit it). The groove mode 'Across the line' helps me detect this damaging move (getting very steep after that) straight away (the shot won't tell me as it is still good as I got used to compensating).

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1413212882' post='10278175']
[quote name='Garush34' timestamp='1413212283' post='10278119']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes my backswing is gradually getting shorter but I need to work on it regularly otherwise it is getting longer again. That's why I do at least one groove session during every range session.

The groove mode really is your friend. I am trying to fix a little loop on the top of my backswing that is caused by the 'hit' impulse from the top. When I hit a ball the club goes across the line on top, when I do a practise swing this doesn't happen (as I swing more and not try to hit it). The groove mode 'Across the line' helps me detect this damaging move (getting very steep after that) straight away (the shot won't tell me as it is still good as I got used to compensating).
[/quote]

Thanks for feedback. Got some deciding to do now, Skypro or a new putter and wedge. Got a lesson tomorrow morning so I'll see what the pro thinks will be better for my game.

WITB

Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

I don't use the Groove mode so much and despite some golf equipment reviewers, I find the Pro Data view and the Focus View very useful. But since I am using an iPad, I really would like to have six swing parameters displayed in the Focus View (not just three). It seems to have been optimised for the small iPhone screens!

I am trying to force myself to make an In to Out Swing to get rid of my slicing once and for all. But as with any major change in the swing, other things can become unravelled if you are not careful. So I am looking at the Half Way Back Swing Angle, Approach to Parallel at the top of the swing, the Angle Towards Target at the Top of the Swing (but not trying to control that), plus the Half Way Down Swing Path Angle and Face Angles.

I would like to see the Face Angle and Swing Path Angle at Impact, but I understand the developers' reluctance to report data, in which they are not fully confident.

I have found it quite useful for checking and controlling the Approach to Parallel at the Top of the Swing, as exceeding 270 Deg has in the past caused me some big problems (not to say that I couldn't eventually develop a swing that is OK, even when past 270 Deg, as this gives more swing speed for me).

BHB1

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='slowcelica' timestamp='1414366623' post='10354651']
Any new updates coming to this or is it starting to die?
[/quote]

Die?

I've found it pretty useful for identifying which areas of my swing are sound and don't have to be worked on, and issues which were essential to address. From time to time I've gotten screwy measurements of swing speed but mostly it's been reasonably consistent. One measurement which I found provides particularly good insights are its measurements of tempo, along with tracking swing speed on the takeaway, transition, and downswing.

I did manage to break the first SkyPro, or rather, it self-destructed flying off the club in pieces. They replaced it immediately, I got the replacement in three days. Good customer service.

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1414425256' post='10357327']
[/quote]
I believe they are still focusing on getting the app out for Android. The founder only recently asked in this thread for any new feature requests.
[/quote]

The Android port is certainly taking them longer than anticipated, but I think it will be essential for their sales.

I am really looking forward to a combined video with the swing analysis (per the Swing Byte) but I guess we will have to wait a bit longer for that.

BHB1

[quote name='BHB1' timestamp='1414437923' post='10358423'][quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1414425256' post='10357327']
[/quote]
I believe they are still focusing on getting the app out for Android. The founder only recently asked in this thread for any new feature requests.
[/quote]

The Android port is certainly taking them longer than anticipated, but I think it will be essential for their sales.

I am really looking forward to a combined video with the swing analysis (per the Swing Byte) but I guess we will have to wait a bit longer for that.

BHB1[/quote]

Yes that is what I'm waiting for too, it would make it way more useful for me.

Hi Guys,

Wanted to chime in and say that ParHunter and B1H1 are correct: we've been really focusing on Android, and other areas have taken a (temporary) backseat. The Android version has certainly taken longer than anticipated, but it is necessary for us to have one and it's now very close to being released. I'm looking forward to the day when we can start working on new features again!

Thanks everyone for all the input and requests. Marand and rebby - glad to hear you are liking your SkyPros!!

Gord

Gord

I loved the device for putting especially. Might purchase another one to groove my stroke over the winter.

Taylor Made Sim 9.5 Degree w/ Ventus Black 6X

Taylor Made Sim Ti 3 Wood w/ Diamana Fairway Ltd 75X

Taylor Made UDI #3 w/ Diamana Thump 100X

Titleist T100S 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0

Titleist SM8 50/54/58 x/ Project X 6.0

Evnroll ER2.B

[quote name='rossonero' timestamp='1415097335' post='10394723']
Is there any groove method to use for top position ? - I always have a bow at the top and would like to fight it. But is there somehow a option to groove that position ?
[/quote]

You should be able to groove the club face angle at the top of the swing. This will indicate what degree of cupping or bowing you have in your wrists. You will need to work out what your optimum club face angle at the top of the swing should be. It is different for everybody. Your golf pro will be able to help you using high speed video analysis. Good luck.

BHB1

Thanks BHB1, good answer.

Everyone - we are planning to release our first public beta version of the Android app very soon. I have a few early-access invites to give out, so I wanted to post on here first and ask if anyone would like a preview of the Android app. We would certainly like to hear your feedback. If you're interested, please private message me your email address and I can send you an email. Thanks!!

Gord

[quote name='gparke' timestamp='1415827338' post='10436849']
Thanks BHB1, good answer.

Everyone - we are planning to release our first public beta version of the Android app very soon. I have a few early-access invites to give out, so I wanted to post on here first and ask if anyone would like a preview of the Android app. We would certainly like to hear your feedback. If you're interested, please private message me your email address and I can send you an email. Thanks!!

Gord
[/quote]
Hi, I am a late comer here. I recently purchase SkyPro and I love it. It is great to hear about the beta release for Android app.
I will contact you in private.

• 1 month later...

Hey Folks,

I'm a little late to the party it seems, but I purchased a new Skypro the other day due in part to the threads here on Golfwrx and my dismal golf game. History on me, for whomever cares, is I've played since my mid-twenties off and on till now. I'm 6 weeks or so from 69. I could still play, for my age, a fair game until I got the brainstorm one day not long ago that I wanted to change to a one plane swing. I went from shooting low seventies to low nineties, seemingly overnight. I've never had a lesson in my life, had periods where I worked out of the country with no golf available and just didn't played for several years at times. But I always managed to return to the game and shortly be back to decent playing. It may be coincidence that my hiatus with the one swing thing just came along after I gotten to the age of no recovery. Age of no recovery, sounds like a bad movie or something fatal. Anyway, I resorted to the purchase of a Skypro to see if I can get this train back on the track again.

My first impression is, what will they think of next? I played six months this year shooting low nineties, with an occasional upper eighties. Shanks, tops, screaming duck hooks, blocks to the right, you name it, if it's bad I'm doing it. Surprisingly, my driver was still decent. Yesterday was my first day with Skypro and like most everyone that's used it, well let me say, I got one wheel back on the track. There's work to be done still yet, no doubt. I see things that I've never done before (crossing the line at the top of my swing, taking the club back inside) and naturally things I have done before, but cured easily enough (over the top). Can't wait to get back to the range this weekend, thanks Skypro, I'm loving it!

Golfgrief

I just got a SkyPro for Christmas. I've been putting with it. I did a SAM putting analysis a few months back and the data is somewhat conflicting. It's saying my face angle at impact is around 3-4* open, with an inside out path. In the SAM analysis I was aligned left of target and compensated with an open face of around .7 degrees.

So I think the SkyPro measures impact face angle based on the zero point provided by the address position. I drew a chalk line on my putting surface, from about 6 feet and as I was draining putts, doing my absolute best to align square to target, it was still giving me open face readings from 2-4*, usually 3-4. I did re calibrate multiple times, and hit over 150 putts in the process of tinkering. Right now, I don't trust the readings. I did find however the groove function for tempo and backswing length fun and beneficial. I haven't been able to get to a range to hit full shots with it.

Anyone else notice this about their SkyPro putting function?

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a Skypro last week thanks to Golfsmith gift cards that my family gave me for Christmas and I LOVE this thing. I'm a 10 cap who plays once a week and my ball striking has gotten progressively worse over the last six months. I've lost distance, I have an over the top move that often results in weak slices and nasty pulls...and I had no idea what I was doing wrong. Went to a pro a couple of times who focused on my backswing. This helped some but I was still coming over the top and swinging out to in during the downswing and my frustration was growing.

In a little over a week, I've logged over 500 swings with the Skypro. My backswing is now decent but I found out: my shaft direction is very outside at the top, my face angle at the top is screwed up because I cup my wrist, my face angle is wrong on the downswing, and I swing outside during the downswing. Basically, I found out that I have a lot of things wrong with my swing.

The videos and explanation of each measured parameter are well explained in the app and I'm on the path to fix my faults. I know this thing works because when I hit a ball with no "alerts" at the range, I see that I've hit a good shot.

It isn't easy making changes to a swing that has been ingrained for over 10 years of playing but I finally have some hope. Now that I know exactly what I'm doing wrong, I'm working on drills to fix those problem areas. My biggest breakthrough just came yesterday when I learned how to "drop the club in the slot" at the transition. After logging 400+ swings with an outside/in downswing (ARGG!), I finally realized what it felt like and looked like to swing from the inside!

I highly recommend this little device to anyone who is willing to put in some time and effort to improve their swing.

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour