009, is it just me?

Emm

Hi

I noticed that after the discussion regarding the 009 putter "whats so special about the 009 putter" that went on for 64 replies. Within days we had 4 new threads with people loved up on 009 Camerons.

While i'm sure that the putter is gorgeous and meets or exceeds you requirements, it seems very coincidental.

it's probably just me, I read something into everything........

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I noticed that after the discussion regarding the 009 putter "whats so special about the 009 putter" that went on for 64 replies. Within days we had 4 new threads with people loved up on Cameron.

While i'm sure that the putter is gorgeous and meets or exceeds you requirements, it seems very coincidental.

Don't understand your question. I would say Most understand that Camerons are what they are.

As I said before You can buy a 2 dollar Hammer, but you will not see a carpenter using one.

Typically those who complain about the price are people who can't buy one. Besides, if you are posting this from a computer---take a guess what it cost to make that computer :-)

Scotty has control of a large group of automatic forum bots who are tasked with maintaining the veneer of exclusivity that makes people pay thousands for a putter that should be $350. :kewlpics:

I think Scotty recruits these bots from his secretive organisation known as the Cameron "Club". An elite group of putter zealots intent on world domination. :crazy:

LOL now that is funny ;)

Hi

I noticed that after the discussion regarding the 009 putter "whats so special about the 009 putter" that went on for 64 replies. Within days we had 4 new threads with people loved up on Cameron.

Don't understand your question. I would say Most understand that Camerons are what they are.

As I said before You can buy a 2 dollar Hammer, but you will not see a carpenter using one.

Typically those who complain about the price are people who can't buy one. Besides, if you are posting this from a computer---take a guess what it cost to make that computer :-)

Hi mate,

I have no problem with the putter, the price, feel or colour. I was only making an observation about the forum posts...

I do still agree about the Hammer though

Emm

Yeah, I'm not too sure what the "mystique" of an 009 (or any Cameron putter for that matter) is but if that's what floats yer boat then by all means, spend away. Hey, whatever you have to tell yourself to get the job done on the course. I'll put my $150 Yes! Tracy up against a $1500 009 any day of the week. The winner gets the other guys putter...any takers? :crazy:

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

I would take a $1500 009 as well!!!!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Yeah, I'm not too sure what the "mystique" of an 009 (or any Cameron putter for that matter) is but if that's what floats yer boat then by all means, spend away. Hey, whatever you have to tell yourself to get the job done on the course. I'll put my $150 Yes! Tracy up against a $1500 009 any day of the week. The winner gets the other guys putter...any takers? ;)

anytime you are ready....... :crazy:

I really love the critics that bash a product without ever trying one before the barbs fly. Good grief.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I really love the critics that bash a product without ever trying one before the barbs fly. Good grief.

Funny, I don't own one, but when compared to other tour equipment, $2500 is overpriced in my opinion. It's not that I can't afford it - it's just out of whack.

Want examples? Sure you do: I own tour irons - I paid $1250 for the heads, got fitted, put new shafts and grips on - total cost was roughly $2000. Same club retail would have cost me close to $1000 - for the sake of math, that makes it a 2:1 ratio. I have a tour driver - paid $300 used (virtually new) - cost ratio probably 1.5:1 ; I have a tour sw - cost $125 - just got a Vokeu Oil-Can SM 60* retail wedge - $90 - ratio - well under 2:1.

See where I'm going here - there is a premium to pay for certain things, and I'm able to pay it if I feel that I am getting some sort of value. Let's say a good retail putter cost $350 (probably over the norm, but I want to be fair). If a 009 cost $2500 - the ratio is more than 7:1 - I personally don't see the value there.

As I said in another thread somewhere, if I went to the studio, got measured, and had one made specifically for me - that would be a different story. By the same token, though - I could go to Bob Bettinardi, or Slighter or any of the others, and still pay less than that for a customized putter.

I just don't see the value. I'm not taking anything away from the putter, the maker, or those that own them, but it seems out of whack to me...

that has nothing to do with what a 009 costs versus what you pay for your tour clubs......first noone really cares how much you spent on your clubs, second there are less than 500 009's out there, all unique in their own way, they will never ever come to retail or be an OTR model so there is no pricepoint to do a ratio to as you have done. I agree prices are steep on 009's, but for the rareness, stamps, and craftmanship they are the best putters out there IMHO, yes I collect camerons and may sound biased, but I am sure there is something you do or collect that I would probably haggle you over as well, but I dont so why all of the hate and griping on the 009's lately? I think if you want to try one then fork out the 2500 and buy one, if you dont like it a few months or weeks down the road you can always put it up here, the cameron collector, or ebay and get your money back without a problem. I know for sure you will not take a loss like you would if you tried to sell your 2000 dollar tour irons you have invested in :crazy:

that has nothing to do with what a 009 costs versus what you pay for your tour clubs......first noone really cares how much you spent on your clubs, second there are less than 500 009's out there, all unique in their own way, they will never ever come to retail or be an OTR model so there is no pricepoint to do a ratio to as you have done. I agree prices are steep on 009's, but for the rareness, stamps, and craftmanship they are the best putters out there IMHO, yes I collect camerons and may sound biased, but I am sure there is something you do or collect that I would probably haggle you over as well, but I dont so why all of the hate and griping on the 009's lately? I think if you want to try one then fork out the 2500 and buy one, if you dont like it a few months or weeks down the road you can always put it up here, the cameron collector, or ebay and get your money back without a problem. I know for sure you will not take a loss like you would if you tried to sell your 2000 dollar tour irons you have invested in :crazy:

First, is there a reason that you are being a wanker? Comments like

first noone really cares how much you spent on your clubs
make you look like an a**. I didn't put the prices there to impress you, I put them there as an example - see, that's one of the things one uses when making an argument.

You come around a little with

but for the rareness, stamps, and craftmanship they are the best putters out there IMHO
and actually make some sense - thank you for that. You realize that stampings on a putter may make it more collectable, or slightly more attractive, but they don't help you roll the ball any better, right? Well, I'm not a putter collector - although I probably have over 40 putters, that doesn't make me a collector, it makes me a guy who is still looking for the right putter.

I think if you want to try one then fork out the 2500 and buy one
I never said I hadn't tried one, you're assuming that, and you are wrong. While I agree that they may hold there value better than my tour irons, I use my tour irons every time I practice or play. Don't expect prices to continue to rise - people have been doing that for a long time with other things - stocks, real estate, etc, and have gotten burned. Since you don't have any information in your profile, it's hard to tell how old you are - your post makes it seem as if you are pretty young, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I expressed no "hate" for the clubs, their maker, or owners - I gave my opinion on value - it's a putter, bud - just trying to make some of the real "haters" see how other people might think.

Have a nice day. ;)

edit for spelling/grammer - try it sometime :kewlpics:

This is where Scotty's marketing genius shows itself. Who the hell else could sell a fairly run of the milling machine, non custom (any more) putter for $2500 up? It's a mix of tour mystique, exclusivity of design and supply and a customer base slavering for limited supply products. The man is a genius pure and simple. All power to him.

The value of an 009 is set by the availability and market demand. Plain and simple economics.

Limited supply, no retail equivalent (at least from Cameron) + high demand (both from collectors and gamers) = high price.

As far as investments go, the 009 is a pretty darn good one (either from collectors or gamers)... if you game it, you can send it in for a resto and not lose much if anything.

If I was collecting Camerons now, however, I'd be going after the Classics - the prices seem to have softened a bit, and unlike the 009s, they are no longer in production.

With all that said, if I wanted a gamer 009, I'd buy the new Club Byron Putter.

My $0.02

Hi

Carpenters don't buy $2 hammers for durability reasons.

make you look like an a**. I didn't put the prices there to impress you, I put them there as an example - see, that's one of the things one uses when making an argument.

but for the rareness, stamps, and craftmanship they are the best putters out there IMHO
and actually make some sense - thank you for that. You realize that stampings on a putter may make it more collectable, or slightly more attractive, but they don't help you roll the ball any better, right? Well, I'm not a putter collector - although I probably have over 40 putters, that doesn't make me a collector, it makes me a guy who is still looking for the right putter.

I never said I hadn't tried one, you're assuming that, and you are wrong. While I agree that they may hold there value better than my tour irons, I use my tour irons every time I practice or play. Don't expect prices to continue to rise - people have been doing that for a long time with other things - stocks, real estate, etc, and have gotten burned. Since you don't have any information in your profile, it's hard to tell how old you are - your post makes it seem as if you are pretty young, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I expressed no "hate" for the clubs, their maker, or owners - I gave my opinion on value - it's a putter, bud - just trying to make some of the real "haters" see how other people might think.

Have a nice day. ;)

really, there is nothing quite as good as someone spelling grammar as grammEr while being a sactimonious Word not allowed about spelling/grammar. This is also the same guy who thinks that ridiculous is spelled rEdiculous. Even though half the dimwits here spell it the same way, they don't try to be the spelling police.

The best players in the world trust their Tour Camerons to make a living. They can choose to play anything they want, how do you put a price on the confidence that produces?

Did you ever consider that they play Tour Camerons because they can play anything they want?

What would they play if they had to purchase their own gear with their own, meager funds? That is the real question...

Have a nice day. ;)

really, there is nothing quite as good as someone spelling grammar as grammEr while being a sactimonious Word not allowed about spelling/grammar. This is also the same guy who thinks that ridiculous is spelled rEdiculous. Even though half the dimwits here spell it the same way, they don't try to be the spelling police.

hahahaha i didnt even notice that good catch

The best players in the world trust their Tour Camerons to make a living. They can choose to play anything they want, how do you put a price on the confidence that produces?

But then, the best players in the world don't pay for them.

Gosh, the 009 looks like a great piece of kit and if it fit my stroke, I'd love to buy one. But then, the $2,500 would make me say, "whoa, what am I paying for and do I consider that important?"

Well, even though the 009 does fit my stroke, stampings are not important to me, the antique finishes are not important to me and the exclusivity is not important to me. How about results? Putting confidence? Well, I'd look around at the market and say, "are there other makers that will give me as much confidence for a better price? For me, the answer is a resounding "yes!" and I will buy that putter custom fit for me with the weight, material, hosel, finish, etc that I want for 1/6 the price.

Cameron lovers won't respond with the same answers as I did - more power to them. They have a different set of values.

That's what makes the world go round.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Have a nice day. ;)

He shoots..............he scores!

If the extraordinary price reflects the limited production why are they always on sale here, cameron collector, ebay and so forth? There must be enough to go around which begs the question why are they so expensive.

Good luck finding more than a few. I checked here yesterday and there were zero, maybe one or two on eBay, and an handful or so on TCC. The reason there are a large number for sale on TCC is simple: many of the collectors are moving inventory to make room for purchases of the new stuff coming out in just a couple of weeks. Tablerock has a booth at the PGA Show which will be stocked with new goodies, and many collectors are selling to accumulate cash.

At any given time there are rarely more than a half dozen to a dozen of the basic 009s for sale. That's still pretty limited in my book.