2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Get your arm swing and pivot in sync

zakkozuchowski

[quote name='Garp' timestamp='1435175388' post='11827634']
[quote name='goatbarn' timestamp='1435174160' post='11827486']
You need to feel more "straightness" of your leading arm on the follow through. You're missing the 2nd half of the drill.

Once your intent is to maintain the width of your arm triangle, your arms should speed up and your chicken wing will diminish. Straight right arm on backswing and straight left arm on follow through, full wrist hinge by chest high on both sides.

Only way to make solid contact with this drill is for the arms to speed up, which you need. That's what this drill does, speeds up the arms. For you, the follow through should feel very rigid.
[/quote]
Will try . Should I swing the arms more upwards also? Thanks.
[/quote]

I would rather hinge the wrists more up earlier. Not only bend the right wrist backwards.

What is the difference between this and a full swing?

For me, in this drill I stand more upright, not so much bend at the hips and knees, club path more inside, knees quite firm. When I go to my full swing setup, I bend a lot more, the path going up is steeper and the knees feel more active.

Is this difference how it is supposed to be or should I adjust my full swing more towards this drill or vice versa?

You need to feel more "straightness" of your leading arm on the follow through. You're missing the 2nd half of the drill.

Once your intent is to maintain the width of your arm triangle, your arms should speed up and your chicken wing will diminish. Straight right arm on backswing and straight left arm on follow through, full wrist hinge by chest high on both sides.

Only way to make solid contact with this drill is for the arms to speed up, which you need. That's what this drill does, speeds up the arms. For you, the follow through should feel very rigid.
[/quote]
I took it out to the course just now and if I can indeed manage to fully extend in the follow through I'm golden. For me this is uncharted territory since I've always been told that the body propels the club. Many thanks for your input.
Also a big thanks to Dan for addressing this subject.

[/quote]

For the first time ever I actually felt what it means to speed-up the arms. It goes so much against everything always been told before. Many, many thanks for your input it was spot-on.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1435245758' post='11832718']
Not More upright but closer to it and less on your toes. Bit more knee flex and weight more towards heels
[/quote]

Noticed all your students' swings, as well as your own, have this set up. I tried it and had very good results. Did feel a little close to the ball with longer irons, how should I ensure proper distance from ball, does it change for longer clubs?

Also this drill is golden for me throughout the entire bag, including driver. Right arm straight to hip high, pause for a set, straighten the right arm towards the target FAST. Never struck the ball this far, shallow, misses were so much better as well. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of people ask what the how to apply this drill to the full swing. My experience after doing this for a good while is that you already will be swinging longer with this drill than you think you are. I hit the ball very solid today using this concept and I really have to focus to keep it at just hip high to hip high. Full swing is just a little more pivot. It really makes the golf swing simple.

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

In essence, the sync drill of iTeach and No turn cast drill of Monte are the same. Hinge early for the backswing and then...get those arms moving forward! It is really transforming my game. My last four rounds were 75, 78, 78 and 79. All bogeys and double bogeys were the result of bad chipping and putting.

So many on here were wondering if I=Teaches drill translates to Driver, FW etc......caught the general drift it was for mid to short irons.
Caught this Trackman Maestro You Tube,discussing angle of attack on driver, how to sync and shallow it etc
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcHUF_-hWcA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=rcHUF_-hWcA[/url]

and in the last 25% of the vid, as a somewhat similar drill to get shallower with the driver, based on David Tom's swing pattern

thoughts ?

IMO, the drill itself is for short irons if you are doing hip high to hip high. It easily translates to the longer swing with longer clubs with just a little more pivot.

50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

• 1 month later...

This thread has been absolute gold for me.
After two lost ball shanks in a pairs tournament on Sunday morning sandwiched in-between knocking pins down with 3/4 punch 7,8 and 9 irons using the miss the ball drill. I'm finding it very hard to translate the feel into longer fuller irons, so I went back out again early on Sunday evening hoping I would blindly stumble into something that was going to work for me, I remembered this thread and I read Dan's post and followed it to the letter. It shows how messed up my swing is because it took me a good 20 Min's just to get a feel for a simple drill like this before I had the confidence to hit a ball. The first six iron I hit just felt so good it didn't fly far but it felt pure, after another 5 Min's of the drill my second ball was just as good but it carried a good bit further and it was poker straight. I spent the next 3hrs and never came close to shanking one even when I was getting tired, there were a couple of slight blocks and pulls but I left the course with a massive weight lifted from my shoulders after suffering for most of the season and its the first time in a good few months that I'm looking forward to playing a round of golf.

Feel good factor for me and a fitting way to bump a great thread

[quote name='Finbarr Saunders' timestamp='1441159348' post='12248736']
This thread has been absolute gold for me.
After two lost ball shanks in a pairs tournament on Sunday morning sandwiched in-between knocking pins down with 3/4 punch 7,8 and 9 irons using the miss the ball drill. I'm finding it very hard to translate the feel into longer fuller irons, so I went back out again early on Sunday evening hoping I would blindly stumble into something that was going to work for me, I remembered this thread and I read Dan's post and followed it to the letter. It shows how messed up my swing is because it took me a good 20 Min's just to get a feel for a simple drill like this before I had the confidence to hit a ball. The first six iron I hit just felt so good it didn't fly far but it felt pure, after another 5 Min's of the drill my second ball was just as good but it carried a good bit further and it was poker straight. I spent the next 3hrs and never came close to shanking one even when I was getting tired, there were a couple of slight blocks and pulls but I left the course with a massive weight lifted from my shoulders after suffering for most of the season and its the first time in a good few months that I'm looking forward to playing a round of golf.

Feel good factor for me and a fitting way to bump a great thread
[/quote]
good to hear, well done.

and yes a good way to bump a great thread

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Dan, do you try to maintain the distance that the elbows are apart throughout the drill? I did so today and hit the ball really well and it feels like it is keeping my right elbow from getting away and behind me too much, if that makes sense.

Odessey White Hot #5

[quote name='mattwood' timestamp='1441665925' post='12277488']
Dan, do you try to maintain the distance that the elbows are apart throughout the drill? I did so today and hit the ball really well and it feels like it is keeping my right elbow from getting away and behind me too much, if that makes sense.
[/quote]

Yep

I'm glad this thread has been brought back up so to speak, I would have never known it was here otherwise. Just my opinion but I definitely think it should be pinned as I can see it helping a lot of people out. The images and video are great visuals too and make it much easier to understand and put into practice correctly. My backswing has always been a problem area for me as well as syncing the arms with turn so I'm going to give this drill a go at the range tomorrow and stick with it until I see the results I want. It seems a great drill because you can start off with smaller swings and slowly build up to shorter more efficient full swings.

[quote name='foreeee' timestamp='1441832977' post='12289416']
Anyone used this drill long term with success? Did you manage to create a full swing to use on the course with all clubs using the swing concept from this drill? Would love to hear peoples results and thoughts.
[/quote]

I use this drill quite frequently and have for 3 years. My feel when I am playing is the same as the drill, stop my arms chest high with my right arm straight. I have used it for 3 years now and will for a long time I foresee. The straighter my right arm feels, and the farther my hands are from my right shoulder, the better I hit it.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1441833896' post='12289488']
Anyone used this drill long term with success? Did you manage to create a full swing to use on the course with all clubs using the swing concept from this drill? Would love to hear peoples results and thoughts.
[/quote]

I use this drill quite frequently and have for 3 years. My feel when I am playing is the same as the drill, stop my arms chest high with my right arm straight. I have used it for 3 years now and will for a long time I foresee. The straighter my right arm feels, and the farther my hands are from my right shoulder, the better I hit it.
[/quote]

Thanks for your response and that's good to hear. How has you distance been with a shorter more compact swing? Also how has it been with longer clubs, mainly driver. I've not had chance to get to the range yet to work on the drill so just interested to hear from people like yourself who have stuck with the drill, which I think is key to any drill.

It didn't happen overnight, but this year Dan has my swing simplified and has me swinging faster at it. So with that said, I was always a long driver of the ball with clubhead speed near 120, but tried to hit controlled irons and usually pulled 7 iron from 165. Now Dan has me hitting 7 iron from 190. I hit driver 290 in the air most of the time, depending on whether I hit a fade or draw. Dan made a swing for my driver where I feel like I don't even get to chest high and I swing as hard as I can and hold it off, and it always fades and is my go to shot if I am under pressure. That driver swing flies 270-ish. If I want to try to reach back for more Dan has me make a bigger turn and get more inside of it and I draw it and I can hit it 320.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1441836198' post='12289676']
It didn't happen overnight, but this year Dan has my swing simplified and has me swinging faster at it. So with that said, I was always a long driver of the ball with clubhead speed near 120, but tried to hit controlled irons and usually pulled 7 iron from 165. Now Dan has me hitting 7 iron from 190. I hit driver 290 in the air most of the time, depending on whether I hit a fade or draw. Dan made a swing for my driver where I feel like I don't even get to chest high and I swing as hard as I can and hold it off, and it always fades and is my go to shot if I am under pressure. That driver swing flies 270-ish. If I want to try to reach back for more Dan has me make a bigger turn and get more inside of it and I draw it and I can hit it 320.
[/quote]

So your definitely knocking it out there much farther than average with a more compact and obviously more efficient swing, which is good to hear. So if you don't mind, any tips or advice with taking on this drill, which can aid me in having success in using it and working up to a full swing with it.

[/quote]

This drill was a major key to getting better for me. I had severe arm overrun and a ton of slack in my backswing. This drill killed all of that in a matter of days. I tried it back in May and it was nearly impossible to do even without a ball. Within. 15 or 20 swings, I got the feel for it and never looked back. Once I got the feeling for it, I didn't have to practice it anymore. My swing is now shorter and much more powerful. I changed a number of things in my swing since last year, but this was a big piece of the puzzle.

[quote name='foreeee' timestamp='1441837496' post='12289784']
[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1441836198' post='12289676']
[/quote]

So your definitely knocking it out there much farther than average with a more compact and obviously more efficient swing, which is good to hear. So if you don't mind, any tips or advice with taking on this drill, which can aid me in having success in using it and working up to a full swing with it.
[/quote]

To be honest, I would probably just screw you up if I offered too much of what I do. I would recommend just reading through the thread very carefully and video your swing and then video you doing the drill. Personally, Dan had told me via email how to do this drill before my first trip to JAX and before this thread was ever created. I thought I was doing it correctly, and I wasn't even close. I mean not even in the same zip code close. I had to have Dan show me how to do it correctly which literally took two swings and it fixed a ton my my issues. After that, it was a matter of getting comfortable with it, and then fixing some downswing issues I had. I still do the drill and monitor how far I am taking my arms weekly.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV