2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Get your arm swing and pivot in sync

zakkozuchowski

[quote name='Redjeep83' timestamp='1424887837' post='11026657']
Where did you learn about right arm straightening from top of backswing iteach? Was reading a leadbetter book from a long time ago and that was one of the drills, straightening right arm immediately
[/quote]

Didn't learn it from anyone. It's basic loading and unloading. Backswing it folds and downswing it unfolds. It's very basic part of all stick and ball sports

[quote name='daphenom121' timestamp='1424888466' post='11026761']
I have a straight right arm but the left arm doesn't really move much off my chest and my shoulder stall. Do I need more shoulder rotation through impact?

Here is a wedge swing in slow motion:
[url="https://vimeo.com/120588607"]https://vimeo.com/120588607[/url]
[/quote]

Where do you see shoulder stall. Right arm can't straighten without left arm working off your chest

[quote name='Redjeep83' timestamp='1424887837' post='11026657']
Where did you learn about right arm straightening from top of backswing iteach? Was reading a leadbetter book from a long time ago and that was one of the drills, straightening right arm immediately
[/quote]

It is a TGM power accumulator. That pre-dates Leadpipe

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1424892453' post='11027259']
I have a straight right arm but the left arm doesn't really move much off my chest and my shoulder stall. Do I need more shoulder rotation through impact?

[/quote]

Where do you see shoulder stall. Right arm can't straighten without left arm working off your chest
[/quote]

I thought I should be seeing more shoulder rotation through impact and my shoulder turn should be more horizontal than it is currently.

[quote name='daphenom121' timestamp='1424895544' post='11027549']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1424892453' post='11027259']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought I should be seeing more shoulder rotation through impact and my shoulder turn should be more horizontal than it is currently.
[/quote]

Rotation has to match plane, path and elbow location. Lots of variables. There not a single amount that people should strive for. It's a wide range. It's a little steep but that's very different than a stall. It doesn't stall at all. You're more open and turning more level than Tiger did in 2000 and a ton of guys who make millions a year playing for a living.

It's not about a look. It's about having matching pieces that create a predictable ball flight

Dan,

If both arms are kept straight with proper wrist hinge and "connected" to your shoulders during the backswing, then "technically" you cannot get the club too far inside no matter how far your shoulder or hip pivot is. Would this be a correct statement?

I sometimes feel I need to get my arms and shaft going vertical early in the backswing to prevent from flipping it inside. But if I can swing my arms as far back as I want with proper wrist hinge and without breaking the connection with my shoulders, then I think that would help me out quite a bit.

Thanks,

Joe

[quote name='JBW' timestamp='1424921457' post='11030443']
Dan,

If both arms are kept straight with proper wrist hinge and "connected" to your shoulders during the backswing, then "technically" you cannot get the club too far inside no matter how far your shoulder or hip pivot is. Would this be a correct statement?

I sometimes feel I need to get my arms and shaft going vertical early in the backswing to prevent from flipping it inside. But if I can swing my arms as far back as I want with proper wrist hinge and without breaking the connection with my shoulders, then I think that would help me out quite a bit.

Thanks,

Joe
[/quote]

Getting the club inside is simply the working in while not working enough up. The in isn't the problem. It needs to work more up, in other words wrist set faster

[quote name='gaz7788' timestamp='1424878550' post='11025621']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1424826773' post='11022209']
[quote name='gaz7788' timestamp='1424826563' post='11022183']
Dan

If one still overdraw or hook with this drill does it mean the arms or hands are still too slow or lagging on the downswing?
[/quote]

Very possibly. The hinging on both sides is very important. Gets arms moving quickly and getting body to respond
[/quote]

I find that the best way to get straight arm is the pushing of the right heel pad on the left thumb and I think many has commented on this being the extensor action.

Does this pushing against the left thumb continue to the downswing? Would this be a valid downswing feel for the things you want to achieve in speeding up the arms?

In short push the right hand against left thumb back and forth.
[/quote]

Dan I tried this on the course today. With the short irons and wedges pretty solid. With longer irons like 5 did slice one way to the right. Is it safe to assume if I slice it one possibility could be I am finally having the arms ahead of body albeit with an open face? As I normally draw hook my 5 iron

[quote name='gaz7788' timestamp='1424960391' post='11031955']
Dan

If one still overdraw or hook with this drill does it mean the arms or hands are still too slow or lagging on the downswing?
[/quote]

Very possibly. The hinging on both sides is very important. Gets arms moving quickly and getting body to respond
[/quote]

I find that the best way to get straight arm is the pushing of the right heel pad on the left thumb and I think many has commented on this being the extensor action.

Does this pushing against the left thumb continue to the downswing? Would this be a valid downswing feel for the things you want to achieve in speeding up the arms?

[/quote]

Dan I tried this on the course today. With the short irons and wedges pretty solid. With longer irons like 5 did slice one way to the right. Is it safe to assume if I slice it one possibility could be I am finally having the arms ahead of body albeit with an open face? As I normally draw hook my 5 iron
[/quote]

Probably not IMO. Face shouldn't be open if you hinge and re-hinge the way Dan describes. Very important to make sure the wrists are working the way the drill is prescribed as this will force arms to work straighter.

[quote name='gaz7788' timestamp='1424960391' post='11031955']
Dan

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If arms extended arms cannot get ahead of your body

[url="http://www.hulu.com/watch/553954{"]http://www.hulu.com/...atch/553954 [/url]
IMHO the key to sync'ing the arm swing and the pivot is in this Reggie Jackson interview.... Listen to what he says and watch closely at what he does.... when you get rid of the hit impulse. everything becomes synced up... This video will help to turn on the light bulb.. :lock:it worked for me!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtHz-xYzzPo

[quote name='Yonkman' timestamp='1424985164' post='11034759']
[url="http://www.hulu.com/watch/553954{"]http://www.hulu.com/...atch/553954[/url]
IMHO the key to sync'ing the arm swing and the pivot is in this Reggie Jackson interview.... Listen to what he says and watch closely at what he does.... when you get rid of the hit impulse. everything becomes synced up... This video will help to turn on the light bulb.. :lock:it worked for me!!!!
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtHz-xYzzPo[/media]
[/quote]skip to the 16:00 mark

Dan how often would you say people swing too long and/or don't hinge and re-hinge properly? I have personally noticed those two are where most get it wrong. I personally have to monitor length when doing this drill. I like not going higher than hip high as it gives me more of a feeling of not getting arms behind.

Most try to be too wide. You want the club narrow and fully loaded. Arms are extended but club narrow. Club works narrow, wide, narrow. Length is long when wrist aren't set soon enough as people continue til the club is loaded. Loading late creates momentum and often leads to arms going back as hips coming down, creating slack and arms getting behind pivot.

really digging this drill. I had been struggling with setting the wrist earlier and on the correct plane which is what was suggested in my online lesson with Dan. This drill really gets my club on a better plane and my right shoulder turning on the correct plane as opposed to flat. What feels like a half swing is actually fully loaded and I hit the ball my full distance with very little effort on my part. Contact is much better but I would still like to see more wrist set earlier and more right shoulder down in transition. I might throw up a vid for feedback later. Never could figure out how to keep my right elbow in front of me before.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1424951477' post='11031449']
[quote name='JBW' timestamp='1424921457' post='11030443']
Dan,

Thanks,

Joe
[/quote]

Getting the club inside is simply the working in while not working enough up. The in isn't the problem. It needs to work more up, in other words wrist set faster
[/quote]

Sounds good, thanks Dan!

Thanks Dan for being so generous with your time on this site....you've proven to be a tremendous help for everyone.

Quick question..in the video of your swing it appears that you're using a relatively strong left hand grip...am i correct and would that be a necessity to perform this drill correctly?

Secondly, I've read and seen numerous instructional pieces that suggest that when the left arm is parallel to the ground in the BS it should be pointing parallel to the target line. Your left arm works in much quicker and would point to the right of the target line when parallel with the ground. Am I mixing and matching incorrect pieces?

Thanks in advance for your time. Anyone else please feel free to chime in

Left arm shouldn't be parallel to target line imo. For hands to move straight as right shoulder and pivot turn in/deeper the arms actually have to work away from you. Hands should work as you turn. I wouldn't call my grip strong. I'd call it fairly neutral. Could have a weak grip but then left wrist would be bowed and it'd be hard to fully set the club.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1425498646' post='11077303']
Left arm shouldn't be parallel to target line imo. For hands to move straight as right shoulder and pivot turn in/deeper the arms actually have to work away from you. Hands should work as you turn. I wouldn't call my grip strong. I'd call it fairly neutral. Could have a weak grip but then left wrist would be bowed and it'd be hard to fully set the club.
[/quote]

Dan, I have been reading a lot of your posts and responses, and the topic of right arm straightening from the top seems to be a key element in your swing, as well as many of your students.

When you state you are straightening your right arm from the top, do you have directional thought. For example, is it something I have heard Mr. Manzella state many times, which is getting the right hand as far away from he right ear as soon as possible - this would suggest straightening the right arm is back and relatively parallel to the target line from the top.

Or, do you have a targeted direction you deliver the straightening right arm, e.g., toward the ball/target line. In this latter regard, I guess what I am describing is similar to an aiming point that Mr. Clampett has popularized - although, I think, an original description of TGM.

Thank you Dan

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1425507337' post='11078363']
It's down out and forward towards the ball. It would be behind with not turn or tilt but as you tilt it changes the direction the arm straightens from behind to forward.
[/quote]

Thank you Dan.

I am curious, when you begin to teach this to your students, is it common for them to struggle with getting too aggressive with their right shoulder in the process? I know you have previously stated that all your swings are OTT, but there must be a fine line between productive and adverse. I very much like the results I get with the swing thought of straightening the right arm from the top, but I do have a tendency to overcook things and my right shoulder can get too involved in the process - too OTT. If this is a problem you have encountered with your students, is there something you advise?