Get your arm swing and pivot in sync

zakkozuchowski

> @glk said:

> > @buzzthecat said:

> > Question for anyone who's familiar with this thread and the terminology used therein...

> >

> > iTeach says this drill is good for folks whose arms work too slowly. My fault is that my hands work too far out and not enough in on the backswing. Is that the same thing as "too slow"? It sounds the same to me since my arms are "behind" my pivot by working out first.

> >

> > I want to try the drill since so many have had success...but also want to make sure it will actually help my fault. Thanks!

>

> Won't necessarily help your fault since this is more downswing. But this will

>

> And you can mix it with his straight right arm drill - best of both.

Thank you. I have used that drill in the past and it helped me. Maybe I'll take your suggestion and try blending the two.

> @buzzthecat said:

> > @glk said:

> > > @buzzthecat said:

> > > Question for anyone who's familiar with this thread and the terminology used therein...

> > >

> > > iTeach says this drill is good for folks whose arms work too slowly. My fault is that my hands work too far out and not enough in on the backswing. Is that the same thing as "too slow"? It sounds the same to me since my arms are "behind" my pivot by working out first.

> > >

> > > I want to try the drill since so many have had success...but also want to make sure it will actually help my fault. Thanks!

> >

> > Won't necessarily help your fault since this is more downswing. But this will

> >

> > And you can mix it with his straight right arm drill - best of both.

>

> Thank you. I have used that drill in the past and it helped me. Maybe I'll take your suggestion and try blending the two.

another good one to synch up things is single arm swings with the trail arm - can't do it well without coordinating shoulder movement and the right arm.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

> @glk said:

> > @buzzthecat said:

> > > @glk said:

> > > > @buzzthecat said:

> > > > Question for anyone who's familiar with this thread and the terminology used therein...

> > > >

> > > > iTeach says this drill is good for folks whose arms work too slowly. My fault is that my hands work too far out and not enough in on the backswing. Is that the same thing as "too slow"? It sounds the same to me since my arms are "behind" my pivot by working out first.

> > > >

> > > > I want to try the drill since so many have had success...but also want to make sure it will actually help my fault. Thanks!

> > >

> > > Won't necessarily help your fault since this is more downswing. But this will

> > >

> > > And you can mix it with his straight right arm drill - best of both.

> >

> > Thank you. I have used that drill in the past and it helped me. Maybe I'll take your suggestion and try blending the two.

>

> another good one to synch up things is single arm swings with the trail arm - can't do it well without coordinating shoulder movement and the right arm.

Sorry dumb question...but which arm is the trail arm for a righty? My left arm trails on the backswing but leads on the downswing. I can't imagine taking a one-armed swing with my right arm.

> @buzzthecat said:

> > @glk said:

> > > @buzzthecat said:

> > > > @glk said:

> > > > > @buzzthecat said:

> > > > > Question for anyone who's familiar with this thread and the terminology used therein...

> > > > >

> > > > > iTeach says this drill is good for folks whose arms work too slowly. My fault is that my hands work too far out and not enough in on the backswing. Is that the same thing as "too slow"? It sounds the same to me since my arms are "behind" my pivot by working out first.

> > > > >

> > > > > I want to try the drill since so many have had success...but also want to make sure it will actually help my fault. Thanks!

> > > >

> > > > Won't necessarily help your fault since this is more downswing. But this will

> > > >

> > > > And you can mix it with his straight right arm drill - best of both.

> > >

> > > Thank you. I have used that drill in the past and it helped me. Maybe I'll take your suggestion and try blending the two.

> >

> > another good one to synch up things is single arm swings with the trail arm - can't do it well without coordinating shoulder movement and the right arm.

>

> Sorry dumb question...but which arm is the trail arm for a righty? My left arm trails on the backswing but leads on the downswing. I can't imagine taking a one-armed swing with my right arm.

>

>

thats why it's probably a good drill! Right arm is trail arm for a righty.

Don't need to go back as far as this player (second instagram). Trail arm swings are another magic drill. I pretty much start any range session with these. can start short and make'm longer as you gain confidence.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I have always had the issue of arms out of sync with pivot. I tried a bunch of other drills/feels, but then doing those made other funky things happen in my swing. 

Did this drill to what felt like left arm parallel with wrist set, arms feeling straight, and then the follow through with arms feeling straight, and on video it ended up being a full, good quality backswing and almost a full follow through lol. i have always struggled with too long of a backswing with arm overrun. 

So me feeling like i'm performing the drill produces a much better full swing than my normal full swing. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 2:29 PM, dlow206 said:

I have always had the issue of arms out of sync with pivot. I tried a bunch of other drills/feels, but then doing those made other funky things happen in my swing. 

Did this drill to what felt like left arm parallel with wrist set, arms feeling straight, and then the follow through with arms feeling straight, and on video it ended up being a full, good quality backswing and almost a full follow through lol. i have always struggled with too long of a backswing with arm overrun. 

So me feeling like i'm performing the drill produces a much better full swing than my normal full swing. 

Same. What feels like arms stopping at P3 is a full back swing with no arm run off. Looks darn good on camera. Hope this thread picks up again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, naj959 said:

Same. What feels like arms stopping at P3 is a full back swing with no arm run off. Looks darn good on camera. Hope this thread picks up again.

I'm worried this is just one of those epiphanies that only works temporarily, but it does give me better awareness of what my full proper backswing should feel like as well as getting through impact more in sync. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I'm worried this is just one of those epiphanies that only works temporarily, but it does give me better awareness of what my full proper backswing should feel like as well as getting through impact more in sync. 

It will only work temporarily if you quit doing it. Correct movements in golf will always lead to better golf eventually but there will be times when it does not seem to work and that is the time you will have to persevere.

3 hours ago, Golfbeat said:

It will only work temporarily if you quit doing it. Correct movements in golf will always lead to better golf eventually but there will be times when it does not seem to work and that is the time you will have to persevere.

Agreed. I think some of the other "epiphanies" that I have come across in the past were not based on good fundamental/correct movements, just things that led me to better manipulate the club temporarily during a round or driving range session. This one is an actual correct movement. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So just to be clear: the goal is to keep the arms straight, hinge the wrists completely by about 9 ' o clock on the way back, and then re-hinge the wrists on the way through at about 3 o'clock?

I think one of the pieces of advice that has screwed me up over the years is this notion that the wrists are totally passive and the momentum of the club alone hinges and re-hinges them. Is this not true?

34 minutes ago, raj34 said:

So just to be clear: the goal is to keep the arms straight, hinge the wrists completely by about 9 ' o clock on the way back, and then re-hinge the wrists on the way through at about 3 o'clock?

I think one of the pieces of advice that has screwed me up over the years is this notion that the wrists are totally passive and the momentum of the club alone hinges and re-hinges them. Is this not true?

If the wrists are not reacting then you have to train them.   But key is that they are soft not tense.  And don’t go to 9 o’clock more like 8:00or a bit shorter.    As iteach says the trail arm will fold even a bit.   Idea is not to keep it rigid straight.  Key is to turn arms with body.  Arms and body need to be in synch during backswing and not just the downswing and over folding the trail arm too early too much kills and coordination of the arms and body.

Edited by glk

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

This sort of reminds or Mr. Scheinblum’s no turn idea.

The question (issue? problem?) I have is with with the idea that “You can't swing the club with your arms straight without turning -- it's not possible. The turn will happen subconsciously. 

While I agree that “swinging the club” in this context necessarily involves some body movement or turning, it is far from clear that the proper motion is subconscious unless the golfer has previously learned how to do it.

So I wonder is it idea that swinging with your arms straight induces the proper body turn, while swinging otherwise does not?

16 minutes ago, Chunkitgood said:

So I wonder is it idea that swinging with your arms straight induces the proper body turn, while swinging otherwise does not?

I think this is correct. if you swing "unstructured arms" your body will turn but it will not be in sync. If you keep both arms pretty straight with the elbows close you are forcing your body to move correctly. The key insight for me is disassociating the wrist action with the the folding of the arms.

Edited by raj34

1 hour ago, raj34 said:

I think this is correct. if you swing "unstructured arms" your body will turn but it will not be in sync. If you keep both arms pretty straight with the elbows close you are forcing your body to move correctly. The key insight for me is disassociating the wrist action with the the folding of the arms.

Yep.  https://www.instagram.com/p/BeyWlySFUAj/

see above link for dan comments

D24B05B6-ACF1-4B3E-99B8-BB46C6764F7D.jpeg.20d1e5159101217c15a48fbf4fd57268.jpeg

• Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

9 hours ago, Chunkitgood said:

This sort of reminds or Mr. Scheinblum’s no turn idea.

The question (issue? problem?) I have is with with the idea that “You can't swing the club with your arms straight without turning -- it's not possible. The turn will happen subconsciously. 

While I agree that “swinging the club” in this context necessarily involves some body movement or turning, it is far from clear that the proper motion is subconscious unless the golfer has previously learned how to do it.

The best way to see how it works(forget about the wrists at this point) is to put both arms out dead straight in front of you. Move them sideways and see that it is impossible to keep them straight without the chest turning. When you have the chest 90 degrees turned and arms straight just bend the trail elbow a couple of inches and there is a synced up arm and body turn.

Now do the same and move them and hold your chest still. Look how the left arm gets pinned across the chest and the right elbow chicken wings. From here if you turn the chest back notice how the right elbow goes from being behind to now being stuck behind your body.