2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Get your arm swing and pivot in sync

zakkozuchowski

I just recently came across this thread and it was monumental for me. As someone who fights too far inside and getting stuck, this was tremendous. I've read, read, and read some more and nothing seemed to help me. I read this entire thread multiple times and finally got to take it out to the range for the first time yesterday. I was struggling a little hitting fat shots for the first half of the bucket with a good one in there every now and then. The key moment for me was to use this but keep my arms very loose. In the beginning, I felt very stiff and it wasn't clicking. Once I really focused on loose but straight arms, everything changed. I used mostly a 9-iron for my entire session. I normally carry my 9-iron around 155. With this drill (probably going back a little further than I thought), I was carrying my 9-iron around 140 and it felt so easy. Near the end of my session, I started going back a little more (still didn't feel like a full swing but it's what I am going to aim for from now on) and I was easily carrying my 9-iron at my normal 155+ and it felt effortless. This was also on a day where the temp was 39 so I anticipate adding a little distance when it's a little warmer. Just for the heck of it, I hit 3 drivers near the end. My backswing felt 50% shorter than normal and I had no problem matching my normal driver carry of 285-290 and they all felt so pure and so easy.

I can't wait to continue working on this and get everything dialed in. Distance has never been my issue but the consistent ball flight is what I struggle with at times and I think this will definitely get me on the right path. So thank you very much for posting this "simple" drill, Dan. I'm looking forward to an online lesson with you very soon. Also thank you for everyone else's feed back with this some of Hstead's comments helped most) and what they feel/do as it helps getting a few different perspectives to figure out what works for an individual.

Cheers to (hopefully) low scores and breaking par!

• Like 1

I do OK with a hip-to-hip swing, but seem to lose it a bit on fuller swings. Would a good thought be to straighten my right arm as quickly as possible during the transition and keeping both arms straight as long as possible in the follow through?

Bump.

I have the same question.

You lose it cos your current transition sequence is off due to your leg action - left hip staying in internal rotation is the term? (left knee doesn't pass your hip or ankle on a face on)

One step at a time mate! In due course

Is this the thing that George Gankas talks about? Getting the left knee to separate from the right knee? Any idea how to do it other than just 'doing' it,?

I do OK with a hip-to-hip swing, but seem to lose it a bit on fuller swings. Would a good thought be to straighten my right arm as quickly as possible during the transition and keeping both arms straight as long as possible in the follow through?

Bump.

You lose it cos your current transition sequence is off due to your leg action - left hip staying in internal rotation is the term? (left knee doesn't pass your hip or ankle on a face on)

Is this the thing that George Gankas talks about? Getting the left knee to separate from the right knee? Any idea how to do it other than just 'doing' it,?

Ball between your legs (or as GG does a range bucket), have the ball drop by the time you hit p5ish. squat into your right (trail) butt cheek and don't slide.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Bump.

Ball between your legs (or as GG does a range bucket), have the ball drop by the time you hit p5ish. squat into your right (trail) butt cheek and don't slide.

I see, thanks for that. Will have a go at that, after I've watched the video (on phone now).

Yes

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

• 11 months later...

All I can say is............thank you so much!

I have suffered for many years trying to make myself a body swinger. I have followed most everyone that teaches using the big muscles to swing the club. My big fault was always being out of sink, because the body would start moving first in the downswing and the arms would never catch up. Mostly because I was trying to keep the arms passive. You explained it a very different way than most people, that the body will go where the arms go if you keep them out in front of you. The chest and shoulders have to follow the arms!

I am so thankful I found this post, it should be mandatory reading for anyone that is serious about getting better at golf!

• 2 weeks later...

I went down last year and had a three-day lesson with Dan C.

Changed my life lol. He's absolutely amazing at what he does. I feel like it was a privilege for me to be with him.

I recommend trying this drill with a dodgeball between the arms as well. It'll help to engrain the feel of what is going on, in my opinion anyway.

with this drill at the top before starting the downswing are the legs doing anything (like weight going to left heel or left knee starting to the target) or are they passive and just reactionary to the pivot and moving the torso down starts the arms and the downswing?

Do it with a dodgeball between the arms and you'll see how it all blends together. I wasn't actively thinking about anything with my legs. If I do, I get in a world of trouble, super out of sequence, stuck and it's slice city. But once you get the feel, you'll see how it blends together and afterwards it'll be like "huh, I wasn't thinking about using my legs but I can feel them working" IMO

with this drill at the top before starting the downswing are the legs doing anything (like weight going to left heel or left knee starting to the target) or are they passive and just reactionary to the pivot and moving the torso down starts the arms and the downswing?

Do it with a dodgeball between the arms and you'll see how it all blends together. I wasn't actively thinking about anything with my legs. If I do, I get in a world of trouble, super out of sequence, stuck and it's slice city. But once you get the feel, you'll see how it blends together and afterwards it'll be like "huh, I wasn't thinking about using my legs but I can feel them working" IMO

thanks. i thought the legs were passive and reactionary in the drill but just wanted to be sure

Depends on individuals issues. I’d say starting out legs are going to be passive and I make adjustments to fit the individuals needs

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I went down last year and had a three-day lesson with Dan C.

Changed my life lol. He's absolutely amazing at what he does. I feel like it was a privilege for me to be with him.

I recommend trying this drill with a dodgeball between the arms as well. It'll help to engrain the feel of what is going on, in my opinion anyway.

I'm in Upstate NY. Wouldn't mind traveling in the winter for some lessons (I like to work on my swing in the offseason) How does one contact Dan?

• 1 month later...

holy crap...I hardly ever post here, but this drill is awesome and eye opening. I've been trying for years to keep my right arm/hand bent and all that has caused is a stall/flip action and more times than not my right arm would be straight at impact. Doing this drill..I feel for the first time my body turning through impact. Ball striking is much more crisp and for the first time in years I hit a bucket of balls and didn't hit any crazy hooks. Thanks Dan...

I agree 100%. I just started doing this last weekend...what a difference!!

holy crap...I hardly ever post here, but this drill is awesome and eye opening. I've been trying for years to keep my right arm/hand bent and all that has caused is a stall/flip action and more times than not my right arm would be straight at impact. Doing this drill..I feel for the first time my body turning through impact. Ball striking is much more crisp and for the first time in years I hit a bucket of balls and didn't hit any crazy hooks. Thanks Dan...

I agree 100%. I just started doing this last weekend...what a difference!!

When you do it right it is pure magic. Last week I hit 3 of the best shots in my life. A 5 iron that flew 220 a 6 iron that went 200 and a 7 iron 170. That's 20 to 40 yard increase.

Also hit a fair few heavy. Controlling the position of the right elbow is crucial but hard for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I can watch this over and over again. So simple and still elusive?

https://www.facebook...56719544344565/

This kind of thing is what drives me crazy when people say golfers aren't athletes. The body coordination, for lack of a better term, to swing a club like Fleetwood does is the definition of athleticism IMO.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Since I mentioned this drill in another thread a few months ago, Ive been using it alot. Ive gotten to where Ive moved to a full-ish swing with it and had great results. In the last year or so, with a much better understanding of the swing, Ive realized this drill does a few things for me.

1. Eliminates EE...with the thought of "whipping straight arms through impact", it forces by body to do a little squat/zipper away to prepare for a big arm swing.

2. No more high hands and low toe. Even though I had made a ton of progress with no turn cast and release from the top thoughts, I still couldnt shake some steepness and much too high hands at impact. I was also sometimes releasing the wrists too hard and too soon and not releasing the arms. Even with small wedge shots, my toe was digging much deeper than heel.

To me, this is the gold standard of all drills.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for anyone who's familiar with this thread and the terminology used therein...

iTeach says this drill is good for folks whose arms work too slowly. My fault is that my hands work too far out and not enough in on the backswing. Is that the same thing as "too slow"? It sounds the same to me since my arms are "behind" my pivot by working out first.

I want to try the drill since so many have had success...but also want to make sure it will actually help my fault. Thanks!

> @buzzthecat said:

> Question for anyone who's familiar with this thread and the terminology used therein...

>

> iTeach says this drill is good for folks whose arms work too slowly. My fault is that my hands work too far out and not enough in on the backswing. Is that the same thing as "too slow"? It sounds the same to me since my arms are "behind" my pivot by working out first.

>

> I want to try the drill since so many have had success...but also want to make sure it will actually help my fault. Thanks!

Won't necessarily help your fault since this is more downswing. But this will

And you can mix it with his straight right arm drill - best of both.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified