Get your arm swing and pivot in sync

zakkozuchowski

[quote name='valkare' timestamp='1366414383' post='6880737']
Dan, can I ask you a question with respect to transitioning this to woods / driver? I tried this today with some really great success using my irons -- very crisp, effortless, and I noticed my abs / core were really engaged (everything was swinging together). When I tried using my driver, I had some fantastic shots (felt like such little effort to hit the ball so far), but I also had some pushes and push fades. I felt like my grip was pretty strong, so is this a matter of not releasing my wrists properly? Perhaps being too stiff in the arms and hands?
[/quote]
Probably too stiff and arms might be getting behind you a bit as you complete your backswing. I'm leaning more towards arms are slow and holding on. Again this is a motion not a position. The arms will bend and don't try to force it straight. The goal is to feel they are straight.

I worked on this drill today as I have had a problem with overbending the right arm leading to losing some width at the top. I'm curious if others have experienced what I did when performing it. The pros are that clubface contact was pretty consistent from shot to shot and dispersion was reduced. The downside is that I hit a lot of shots thin and misses were mostly pulled. What helped was making sure I really moved to my left side on the downswing, but I still hit some thins. My take on what might be happening is that since my swing is so short, I'm kind of jumping on it and trying to hit it too hard causing me to get out of sequence. I wondering on the pulls if it may be my right shoulder working too much around and not enough down, but these are just guesses. My arms feel very stiff and I could be trying to hold them too straight but this may also be because I'm not used to keeping this much width. Anybody else experience this?

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

Great post and drill. I flip flop between my arms being too slow, and then opening my shoulders up too early in an attempt to compensate.

The drill also reminds me of the classic Hogan video from the Ed Sullivan Show:

http://youtu.be/_AmPuzgBXEM

(Sorry can't seem to get the embed to work...)

Similar idea I think. Getting everything turning at the same RPM.

i took the right arm straight drill to the course today and after a good range session yesterday. I drove the ball terrible today.

Most all were slicing into the right rough and trees. They were starting straight so face was square but path was too far left.

With trying to feel the right arm straight, it feels like my hands are higher than they used, and I think I may just be jumping at it from the top knowing I have to swing left. Also make too horizontal with shoulders and some wipes.

Any advice on this Dan?

thanks
Joe

Why are you trying to swing left. Sounds like your not swinging your arms and spinning shoulders. You shouldn't ever try to swing left. The club moves left because the arms are in front of you and the body is turning. It happens automatically. Make sure arms are in front of you post impact and not left of your body and don't try to swing left. Just swing your arms

i used to have this problem. i was always trying to swing left because thats what i thought should happen. The clubhead doesnt go left because you force it there, it gets left due to the proper sequence of the swing.

Swinging left doesnt give you proper sequencing, having proper sequencing causes the club to go left.

[quote name='i am taylor(made)' timestamp='1366586851' post='6889529']
i used to have this problem. i was always trying to swing left because thats what i thought should happen. The clubhead doesnt go left because you force it there, it gets left due to the proper sequence of the swing.

Swinging left doesnt give you proper sequencing, having proper sequencing causes the club to go left.
[/quote]

This. Forget about holding lag, good P6, swinging left etc. All of these things happen automatically if you keep your arms in front of you and sync up your arms and your body.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1366586200' post='6889465']
Why are you trying to swing left. Sounds like your not swinging your arms and spinning shoulders. You shouldn't ever try to swing left. The club moves left because the arms are in front of you and the body is turning. It happens automatically. Make sure arms are in front of you post impact and not left of your body and don't try to swing left. Just swing your arms
[/quote] thanks dan I have always tried to power the swing with the pivot. I try to think of belt buckle hitting the ball, the core turns left and thus the club follows that path. my hands feel higher and as I turn from the top the club is obviously coming from out to in to create that flight. I can obviously line up to the right and I am able to hook it

Don't want to crap in Dan's thread, but thought I'd mention that one of the best (in my opinion) teachers here in South Africa also uses this drill with his players, including some of our top juniors and pros. He sometimes adds physical restriction of the trail elbow -- basically any kind of marginally-flexible tube that you can slide your arm into. I've seen them made from carpet offcuts, camping mats and, once, a beer coaster nicked off the bar top in the club house. His guys call it "The Condom", as in you never really want to have to put it on but later you'll be glad you did. This is mine -- cut up foam sheeting, rolled and taped with elastic bandage -- like to do little pop sevens with it on until everything's working properly.

900x900px-LL-33f50838_524979_10200400891358877_786266149_n.jpeg

photo-9.png

TL:DR -- Great drill. Dan's the man!

[quote name='joeunc' timestamp='1366589533' post='6889773']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1366586200' post='6889465']
[/quote] thanks dan I have always tried to power the swing with the pivot. I try to think of belt buckle hitting the ball, the core turns left and thus the club follows that path. my hands feel higher and as I turn from the top the club is obviously coming from out to in to create that flight. I can obviously line up to the right and I am able to hook it
[/quote]

Dan , I think I figured out what it was just my doing some mirror work. With the driver, I was intent on keeping right arm straight but I was actually getting the club outside the target line the first few feet then when the right arm bent on it's own the club was setting steep an high with the butt end pointing to the left. I wasn't getting the club laid on the plane in the backswing correctly so I could just turn through and react. I was just turning through but the path was way OTT do to the takeaway and backswing. It was only the driver that was doing this, I blistered some hybrids and irons.

I just wasn't turning back with a straight right arm with driver, i was actually pulling the right arm way back and then lifting with a turn.

Joe

Don't want to crap in Dan's thread, but thought I'd mention that one of the best (in my opinion) teachers here in South Africa also uses this drill with his players, including some of our top juniors and pros. He sometimes adds physical restriction of the trail elbow -- basically any kind of marginally-flexible tube that you can slide your arm into. I've seen them made from carpet offcuts, camping mats and, once, a beer coaster nicked off the bar top in the club house. His guys call it "The Condom", as in you never really want to have to put it on but later you'll be glad you did. This is mine -- cut up foam sheeting, rolled and taped with elastic bandage -- like to do little pop sevens with it on until everything's working properly.

photo-9.png

Looks good any chance of some footage of you using it.

photo-9.png

A few posts back Dan's talking about not whipping it out before it was ready to be done right (video), now the "condom" --- this thread is great. Cool hat by the way!

Looks like we'll be snow free and 50s/60s this weekend, finally. Hope to get some feel for this drill, and my Casio, should be fun to practice.

My little friend, Tembolo, has seen drastic improvements, and my big friend lv_2_hack is in Jacksonville now.
I will be working on this little drill tonight.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Took this drill to la range today ... gracias Dan. It was hard to get it right. I have an early trail elbow set and a late wrist set so I can get inside early. Trying to get wrist set without elbow was tough but when I finally did my pivot just started to happen.

That's been my problem and going the Slicefixer route has been tough on me. The more I focused on the pivot the more erratic it got. I just hit blocks and weak lefts (I'm lefty) anytime my pivot didn't lead. This is totally on me - old habits, 42 years old, ADD (not really) makes 10,000 reps of anything impossible.

Did the Dan N'Sync drill and a few Faldos and felt it come together once I started hitting full shots. All I started thinking about was hand path back and thru but never felt handsy- really was an ah ha session.

Still a little EE and raise the handle but I can see this building something nice mic for this season. Most exciting thing was rolling footwork instead of early heel raise.

Did I say gracias Dan ... gracias.

golow(TM)

I hit balls again yesterday with this and had much improved results. It takes a while to get used to the feel and timing is a little different, but I got more solid compression and got a little fade going again, which is what I want. Distance was hard to calculate since there was a strong wind blowing both days. Overall it shows a lot of promise. Thanks for the drill.

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

I have another quick question for Dan... I'm planning to do lessons for me and my son through the golf channel thing... but I wanted to hopefully get this drill down first so I could get further with the lessons.

When I do this drill and fully set the wrists and pivot in sync letting the pivot square the clubface, sometimes I'll get in a funk where everything is shooting off to the right. I checked the hosel to make sure it's not a shank, and it's not. I take a bunch of practice swings and usually can get it back to where I'm squaring again, but I'm not clear on what is causing the face to open so badly sometimes. Any thoughts will be much appreciated, and perhaps you'll just need to see my swing.

[quote name='Jayman101' timestamp='1366674932' post='6896297']
Thanks, I will try that. I'm so paranoid of flipping that I'm trying to let the hands be completely passive. I'm sure that has me a little stiff thus hands falling behind.
[/quote]

Dont worry about passive hands. Get arms straight with speed coming down...passive hands can lead to arms lagging behind and defeating tthe purpose of the drill.

Question for you Dan as I don't want to engrain bad habbits...

Assuming my arms stay straight (my right arm normally breaks after the shaft hits parrallel and continues up)

Bellow is the only way I could get solid contact with this drill...(which worked amazing by the way).

At the start of the backswing the left shoulder begins down and then under your chin. Simultaneously this forces your left knee towards the target line and causes your left hip flexor to move down and towards the target line. The right hip flexor is forced up and away from the target line. And to keep my left shoulder continuing under my chin Id hit a tee that was about 12" behind the ball.

I mean I don't think of this during the drill. All I think of is starting the left shoulder down. Then the rest happens.

Is this take away a recipe for disaster or a solid way to practice this drill? Thanks again! You should send us all a bill for your time!

Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
ever will - someone on the internet

[quote name='Jayman101' timestamp='1366673230' post='6896075']
I have another quick question for Dan... I'm planning to do lessons for me and my son through the golf channel thing... but I wanted to hopefully get this drill down first so I could get further with the lessons.

When I do this drill and fully set the wrists and pivot in sync letting the pivot square the clubface, sometimes I'll get in a funk where everything is shooting off to the right. I checked the hosel to make sure it's not a shank, and it's not. I take a bunch of practice swings and usually can get it back to where I'm squaring again, but I'm not clear on what is causing the face to open so badly sometimes. Any thoughts will be much appreciated, and perhaps you'll just need to see my swing.
[/quote]

That's my whole issue with pivot controlling passive arms - if I get inside (and I do) then club head is delivered even more from the inside with an open face. I'll hit blocks and weak push fades miles left (LH) of my target. On video I can still see that my hands are to the right of my left (your right) pec. When hands are in line with my pec (in front of chest more) it falls into place.

golow(TM)

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1366899101' post='6914927']
Dan, thoughts on my divots pointing right while doing this drill? Where are your divots pointing can I ask?
[/quote]

not to intrude on who you are asking the question to but whenever my divots go right its either my body is getting ahead in the downswing, or my swing gets too in to out instead of around. almost always the first scenario though.

[size=4]Dan, have a quick question, Hstead please also feel free to comment on this:[/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]When I came down to Orlando two years ago, this was the exact drill we worked on. Arm line was way too low and inside target line, sucking club inside, then getting a little stuck leading to dumping a little at the end. Had immediate success with this drill, felt really awkward as you had me picking the club up right in front of me while trying to keep both arms straight. But it worked Perfect![/color][/size]
[size=4][color="#000000"]Like I said I had great success and even into last year. Over the winter worked on this, slow motion drills not hitting balls and was hoping it would pay off this year as I don’t ever practice. What I’ve noticed this year is really erratic shots that I never saw last year. Wanted to know if maybe I have over done this drill and my arms are possibly working too far out. I need to take some film to check first, but wanted to get your feedback. Downswing is really steep (which I’ve never had a problem with) and almost feels like I am really disconnected and can’t sync up. Either I am coming in super steep and hitting sky balls that fade or I’m hitting skank fades that don’t get 10 feet off the ground. [/color][/size]
[size=4][color="#000000"]Please let me know if you think I may have over done this (the steep downswing makes me think this). If you think I need to take some video before you make assessment, I was planning on sending you some in the next few weeks anyways. Just wanted to get your thoughts on it.[/color][/size]