SWANRY30 WITB - 2014 FINALIZED?

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1361990248' post='6514475']
That is some stiff competition for sure, it will be interesting to see what you pick for your "go to" setup.

What do you like about the 6.2TS over the 7.2TS? I personally prefer the feel of 6.2 over the 7.2, curios to hear your thoughts.

Why no 913?
[/quote]

the 6.2ts plays heavy for its weight. i have never lost accuracy due to the weight or affected sw too much - so i went with it! normally have played 75-85g driver shafts.

913d3 - tried it. like it. didn't love it. not counting it out - but like the covert tour better as a contender. great driver though!

[quote name='Doc Mcstuffins' timestamp='1361991554' post='6514609']
I personally don't think anything from bag #2 is gonna out duel anything in bag #1 aside from the Ansers. Can't wait for the shootout though!
[/quote]

the fw's won't stand a chance... the wedges do. the irons are going to be a tight race. keeping and playing them both though :)

hot seat is driver in all reality. if i had a v2 now - i wouldn't be looking...!

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1361995794' post='6515067']
That is some stiff competition for sure, it will be interesting to see what you pick for your "go to" setup.

What do you like about the 6.2TS over the 7.2TS? I personally prefer the feel of 6.2 over the 7.2, curios to hear your thoughts.

Why no 913?
[/quote]

the 6.2ts plays heavy for its weight. i have never lost accuracy due to the weight or affected sw too much - so i went with it! normally have played 75-85g driver shafts.

913d3 - tried it. like it. didn't love it. not counting it out - but like the covert tour better as a contender. great driver though!

[/quote]

Agreed on the 6.2 TS, I have had the 7.2ts as well and I didn't really feel the difference in weight so much but I did find it a touch harder to turn over and maybe slightly lower launching/stiffer tip. Very minute differences but I mostly play a fade and have trouble turning over the 6.2 on bad days so no need for the 7.2 for me in the driver. I am playing it about 1/4"longer than usual and haven't lost any accuracy but gained some length.

What did you like about the Covert Tour and what did you find underwhelming about the 913D3?

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

[quote name='Ewewew' timestamp='1361999308' post='6515399']
Why no stage 2 tour tp rescue
[/quote]

it goes too far! the current hybrid is 16.5 but cut way down... i have really liked this club. smoke it off the tee and can hit it well from the deck. chip/putt with it on certain courses if called for! if i go stage 2 i'll go down to the 3 hybrid and cut it down. i'll spend my money on drivers/shafts :)

Swans, only you would have a 2 page WITB thread WITHOUT any pictures!! :pimp:

Seriously great setups, I don't think you can lose either way with some of the stuff you are trying. Some other ideas:

-Mizuno combo set (blades/players CB)
-Tour Stage combo set (same as above)
-All Titliest (big time wild card, MB/CB and AP2 2 iron) :)
-Nike VR Forged (blades/players CB) <-- another wild card, wedges are good and the irons are really soft

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1361998299' post='6515291']
[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1361995794' post='6515067']

Why no 913?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed on the 6.2 TS, I have had the 7.2ts as well and I didn't really feel the difference in weight so much but I did find it a touch harder to turn over and maybe slightly lower launching/stiffer tip. Very minute differences but I mostly play a fade and have trouble turning over the 6.2 on bad days so no need for the 7.2 for me in the driver. I am playing it about 1/4"longer than usual and haven't lost any accuracy but gained some length.

What did you like about the Covert Tour and what did you find underwhelming about the 913D3?
[/quote]

I have had pretty much the opposite experience in going from the 6.2 to 7.2. To me the 7.2 just felt heavier, when I hit them side by side on Trackman I saw barely any changes in spin, launch, BS, etc....

With that said, I am in the market for a 7.2 TS x tipped 1" with 913 tip. :swoon:

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1362005275' post='6515993']

[/quote]

I have had pretty much the opposite experience in going from the 6.2 to 7.2. To me the 7.2 just felt heavier, when I hit them side by side on Trackman I saw barely any changes in spin, launch, BS, etc....

With that said, I am in the market for a 7.2 TS x tipped 1" with 913 tip. :swoon:
[/quote]

Hmmm... I know the 7.2 is a little heavier, is it 5 or 6 grams? To be honest I hit them in different drivers, F12 LS 8.5* vs. Nike VR LE 8.5* and haven't been on trackman with them, more of just an observation based on feel and flight. Hardly a scientific comparison, it could also have to do with the swing weights being different but I just didn't get that heavier shaft feeling. The perfromance differences were very small, barely noticeable, I should have emphasized "minute".

Have you hit the 8.2TS in a 3 wood? I had one but stupidly sold it off before I tried it. The 8.1 is a very nice mid launch FW shaft that keeps the spin in check, it will do for now. It will be interesting to see where all you guys go with your FW shafts after testing.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

[/quote]

quite honestly i loved how the club framed the ball. not overly hot on the red but with the black face it was appealing. the shape too was perfect to my eye... reminded me of a bridgestone/callway/nike ltd mix. i also loved the sound and feedback of the club. one of the first drivers that my swing speed went up on because of the feedback - i wasn't bracing for the hit or impact - it just happened. this was huge. finally the universal loft. on the r1 it isn't that great. the covert tour is incredible. in the summer i could play it to the 8.5* loft open position. in the winter i may move it to the 9.5* loft open position. if i went to a higher elevation i could change the loft to 9.5* or 10.5* loft open position. i could do that with the r1 but i had to open the sleeve then potentially close the compass. too much. this is simple.

the 913d3 was very good - but i didn't appreciate the feedback and sound. the d2 was different - but did not work with my swing regardless of the reports Titleist has given with both heads being relatively equal. i would hit the center of the face and have a different sound or feel every time. the SPOT was illusive. also similar to the r1 in that i subconsciously brace for the hit and stall out sometimes - due to the sound/feedback. drivers like the j33/j40/ft tour/covert tour to name a few give me the NO HOLD BACK GREEN LIGHT.

this feedback is almost similar in irons - perhaps why i like the ANSERs so well. muted and soft. unlike any other club i have hit. great for a couple reasons, the biggest being confidence. some people like to feel a mishit. the way i look at it - i don't. i'm a good ball striker - why wouldn't i want to THINK that every shot that i hit was perfect? if i felt the negative feedback or heard a higher pitched tone - i would equate those shots to bad strikes. a couple of those and my swing is starting to get tentative. i want confidence. confidence produces more good swings. i want to avoid the negative thought or notion that today is an off day.

[quote name='ppauls99' timestamp='1361999698' post='6515449']
prediction:

Covert Tour Driver
Stage 2 Woods
Anser Irons
Mizuno Wedges
[/quote]

you may be correct at the end of the day!

ROCKETBLADEZ tour are very good. Not as soft as the ansers but are no slouch in the feel department. Probably the best feeling cast iron I have hit. The face milling is more than likely the reason.

So far looks and shape go to the RBT and feel goes to ANSER. I really like the long irons in the RBT much more than the ANSER - very little offset. I railed on a three iron off the tee today - very easy to hit. More than likely playing a couple more times this weekend (wife and girls out of town) so will have a better "feel" for the clubs.

The r1 so far isn't blowing me away but - damn its good. Just solid. I know I could probably find a hotter driver - but I'm hitting fairways and not too far off the positions I have been with my longest past drivers. More testing and tinkering - but it is winning me over.

[quote name='Doc Mcstuffins' timestamp='1362184118' post='6530235']
Looking forward to the report. I hit them yesterday next to the Ansers. Very nice club and holy smokes they're loud! Makes you feel like you're crushing the ball.
[/quote]

With good golf balls on the course it is much quieter - but doesn't compare to the ansers. Ansers are the softest most forgiving irons I have ever hit.

The RBT's do have a really nice shape to them. Very pleasing to the eye with the perfect amount of offset. Even so, the Ansers are just so good. Not quite as good looking as the Tours but the total package is tough to beat. Workability, blended with forgiveness, and incredible feel has me selling off a set of S56's to fund a set.

I know your a TS guy and if you get a chance I'd give it a run in a G25. I can't find another driver that gives me higher ball speed than this head.

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1362193928' post='6531071']
ROCKETBLADEZ tour are very good. Not as soft as the ansers but are no slouch in the feel department. Probably the best feeling cast iron I have hit. The face milling is more than likely the reason.

So far looks and shape go to the RBT and feel goes to ANSER. I really like the long irons in the RBT much more than the ANSER - very little offset. I railed on a three iron off the tee today - very easy to hit. More than likely playing a couple more times this weekend (wife and girls out of town) so will have a better "feel" for the clubs.

The r1 so far isn't blowing me away but - damn its good. Just solid. I know I could probably find a hotter driver - but I'm hitting fairways and not too far off the positions I have been with my longest past drivers. More testing and tinkering - but it is winning me over.
[/quote]

how did you get a set of rocketbladez tours to test out on the course, does your local store do that sort of thing or something?

@doc - you nailed it in description!

@redjeep - own both sets. Three rounds in the anser irons are in the lead - so soft. However I like the offset or lack there or in the rbt. Some tough decisions coming up...

Wedges are a lock - ATVs have won. Pretty much hands down. I can make these dance. Love them despite the looks :)

Haven't hit the g25 yet... Need to :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1362410812' post='6544271']
Swan... Have you hit the Stage 2 Tour Driver yet? What did you think?
[/quote]

i have not... as many of you - it has been very busy around here with work and family. not sure that i am even interested in hitting the stage 2 tour though. i am more focused this year with what i want to try and or purchase. i have the r1 and more than likely a v2 for testing by first of next week. covert tour, rfe/xhp and perhaps a ping offering will be in the mix. i have some predetermined thoughts on what might be coming out of the mix :)

[quote name='DeeKK' timestamp='1362492886' post='6550727']
Swans,

What shafts do you have in your ATV wedges?
[/quote]

s300

[quote name='ppauls99' timestamp='1362968021' post='6586525']
any updates?
[/quote]

updates. driver updates - see my response to scratchswinger...

irons. cream is rising. i really like the shape and looks of the rocketbladez tour, but they are missing the mark in feel when comparing them to the ANSER irons. i will test on course for two more rounds then make a decision to which goes into the first position.

wedges. atv's have risen to the top. i can hit some crazy shots with these. the mp-t4 are not far behind... final decision will be made when the weather turns a little.

fw/hybrid. hybrid will stay in place - love the combination. fw wood finally is off back order and will be here monday. stage 2 tour 14.5 with motore speeder 7.2ts.

PICTURES COMING SOON!

Interested in this thread Mr. Swanry30... for some reason I'm not as certain you will be #swanry30-ier this year ;)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1363919560' post='6661569']
Interested in this thread Mr. Swanry30... for some reason I'm not as certain you will be #swanry30-ier this year ;)
[/quote]

Bwahahahaha....you kill me Tai. :cheesy:

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

[quote name='nick.woods76' timestamp='1364089399' post='6675261']
will you be gaming the ansers this year?
[/quote]

unless something changes - yes... my personal testing with the rocketbladez tour is more than likely over. i really wanted to like them. the sound and feel as i have mentioned before is not there. very disappointing. IMO one of the better looking irons TMAG has produced - yet the ball likes to one thing (flight high - even with ctapers) and feel cheap.

in regards to the rest of the equipment... it is now all here! final packages arrived saturday! very excited :)

edit - "arrive" to "arrived"