2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

SWANRY30 WITB - 2014 FINALIZED?

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1367723798' post='6972344']
With the 913 I think I would go 7.2ts as it matches the head better for me :). Nike is a toss up 6.3 or 7.2/3ts.
[/quote]

D3 7.5 with 7.2 TS was one of the best combo's I've hit but it got edged out by the RFE for me. Interesting no 6.2 TS, too butt stiff? I think it is the stiffest butt out of the .2's and .3s right?

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1367724700' post='6972422']
[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1367723798' post='6972344']
With the 913 I think I would go 7.2ts as it matches the head better for me :). Nike is a toss up 6.3 or 7.2/3ts.
[/quote]

D3 7.5 with 7.2 TS was one of the best combo's I've hit but it got edged out by the RFE for me. Interesting no 6.2 TS, too butt stiff? I think it is the stiffest butt out of the .2's and .3s right?
[/quote]

I love the 6.2ts - in fact still have one :). Selling the 7.5 ?

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1367725370' post='6972470']
I really have a hard time with the 7.2, it just feels heavy and dead to me, the 6.2 feels alive and stable. It's strange because I prefer the heavier 8.2 in my 3 wood.
[/quote]

I agree to some extent. Having hit it quite a bit in my 913 I can say that for me the performance is a lot closer to the 6.2 than the feel is for me. I really like the results but I feel like I am making the shaft work more in with the 6.2, that's improving my perception of the club/shaft.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1367725412' post='6972474']
[size=4]I love the 6.2ts - in fact still have one [/size] :)[size=4]. Selling the 7.5 ?[/size]
[/quote]

Yeah, the 7.5 is gone. RFE just edged it out but my needs in a driver a little different than most of you guys. I'll be updating with my thoughts in my thread from hitting them both side by side for 27+ holes and 3-4 range sessions. Keeping my 7.2 TS from the 913 though, I think it will make a great 3 wood shaft are you sticking with that in your Stage 2?

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1367726259' post='6972502']
JJ- what 3 wood for the 7.2?
[/quote]

I've got a 14.5* 3deep coming, just couldn't resist. I'm a sucker for the deep faces. :dntknw:[size=4] [/size]

I'm expecting that it will work out but if it's not a realistic option for me off the deck when needed I will explore other options. FD, RFE and XHP are the top contenders for potential replacement. I've always been comfortable with the performance of the Titleists in the past (906F2, 904F). I could throw the stage 2 in there but I'm not huge on the graphics and feel, same deal with XTD. I'm still kicking myself over selling the 8.2 TS I had last year especially after reading your review/results in the titleist fitting thread.

I've pretty much eliminated the Nike stuff even though it's really good. I'm with you and Pure in that respect, there are other better looking/feeling clubs that do the same thing for me.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ksavy17' timestamp='1368466555' post='7025656']
any updates??
[/quote]

none as of right now. my friend's nike covert performance / 7.2ts came in and it's money. with the covert tour head it should give the r1 v2 a good run.

my next step may get interesting - as it will force me into selling some equipment. the ansers will be my wet weather/winter clubs - but with the firmer ground conditions i want something with a smaller sole. the rbt in all reality are pretty damn good. a tweener set of irons. not too big not too small. the rbt three iron is crazy good off the tee. i am also finding out what kind of swing or strike you have to put on these clubs to get the proper feedback. after saying that - i'm still searching!

the for sures:

GOLFPRIDE Z CORD - best grip i have ever used.
MOTORE SPEEDER 6.3TS - the best 60g weight class shaft i have ever used.

after this it is open game!

love the for sures, especially the z cord grip. Its everything I want in a grip. I hope to see some players clubs in that bag, specifically some covert stuff. Covert tour with tour spec .2 is probably the best driver combo I have ever had

G430 Max 10K 9* w/Tensei Orange 1K 70TX

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro White 70TX
TSr3 18* w/Tensei AV Raw White 85TX 2.0

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW w/MMT 125TX

W/S Forged 50* w/DG S400

Mg4 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Spider S
TP5X 24'

You NEED to spill the beans on your secret formula for the X100's. Just picked up a set to go in my old TP MB's from 2006, feel was more important in these so that left C taper and PX out of the mix. I am debating going straight in, hardstepping once or possible tipping as much as the bore will allow as an experiment. Would love to know what this secret X100 trick is!

You should add in the MP64s......simply awesome irons.

Question: have you ever tried the kiyoshi white 60g? If so, could you compare it to the 6.3?

PS: Z Cords are fantastic.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1368469077' post='7026000']
You NEED to spill the beans on your secret formula for the X100's. Just picked up a set to go in my old TP MB's from 2006, feel was more important in these so that left C taper and PX out of the mix. I am debating going straight in, hardstepping once or possible tipping as much as the bore will allow as an experiment. Would love to know what this secret X100 trick is!
[/quote]

i will PM you later today. no tipping, hardstepping... a different secret.

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1368469078' post='7026002']
You should add in the MP64s......simply awesome irons.

Question: have you ever tried the kiyoshi white 60g? If so, could you compare it to the 6.3?

PS: Z Cords are fantastic.
[/quote]

i will put the mp64 on the list!

i have hit the KIYOSHI WHITE - testing it in three different heads. the KW will launch higher, flight higher, and spin ever so slightly more than the .3TS. the profile, as i have mentioned before on the KW, is "unibend". you don't feel what part of the shaft is loading - the entire shaft is loading. with the .3TS you feel a section load. if the .2TS feels too firm in the butt section and you want the same results, the .3TS is perfect. the best direction comparison is the KW60 (which is actually in the 70's) to the BB7.

Wow, the "unibend" concept is SPOT ON. I have the kiyoshi white now and I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Great description. It is a stout shaft for sure. Interesting, so I'll stay away from the .3 TS because I'm not quite getting the launch and spin out of the KW unless I step on it. I've been jumping back and forth between the kai'li 70X and the KW 60g in stiff. The KW feels solid and more "uniflex" like, as you described. Thinking about trying an AD DI.

The 64s are incredible.

Last quick question: have you switched away form the C-Tapers? I know you were a huge fan of them when they came out.....just wondering why you switched? Finally, can you tell me the secret?...lol. Cheers.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1368473904' post='7026596']
Wow, the "unibend" concept is SPOT ON. I have the kiyoshi white now and I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Great description. It is a stout shaft for sure. Interesting, so I'll stay away from the .3 TS because I'm not quite getting the launch and spin out of the KW unless I step on it. I've been jumping back and forth between the kai'li 70X and the KW 60g in stiff. The KW feels solid and more "uniflex" like, as you described. Thinking about trying an AD DI.

The 64s are incredible.

Last quick question: have you switched away form the C-Tapers? I know you were a huge fan of them when they came out.....just wondering why you switched? Finally, can you tell me the secret?...lol. Cheers.
[/quote]

still playing the ctapers and LOVE them. i do wish they balanced the shaft weight better, however, they work.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1368468033' post='7025852']
any updates??
[/quote]

none as of right now. my friend's nike covert performance / 7.2ts came in and it's money. with the covert tour head it should give the r1 v2 a good run.

my next step may get interesting - as it will force me into selling some equipment. the ansers will be my wet weather/winter clubs - but with the firmer ground conditions i want something with a smaller sole. the rbt in all reality are pretty damn good. a tweener set of irons. not too big not too small. the rbt three iron is crazy good off the tee. i am also finding out what kind of swing or strike you have to put on these clubs to get the proper feedback. after saying that - i'm still searching!

the for sures:

[/quote]

How would you compare the Covert Performance versus the Tour head? I have been going back and forth over which one to try. I am currently gaming the 913d3.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1368487926' post='7028196']
Glad I listened to your suggestion on the 6.3 because I absolutely love the shaft.
[/quote]

it's very good! would you mind sharing your comparison to the .2ts - curious to how describe the difference. also - did you find the spin/launch/etc... to be far off?

regardless of what trackman said - the 6.3TS on the course is just crazy good, besting our the 6.2TS easily. i personally love the 7.2TS for a driver shaft - but why when the 6.3TS gives me everything i need?

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1368488456' post='7028258']
[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1368468033' post='7025852']
any updates??
[/quote]

the for sures:

[/quote]

How would you compare the Covert Performance versus the Tour head? I have been going back and forth over which one to try. I am currently gaming the 913d3.
[/quote]

if you are coming from the 913d3 - it is easy to make a comparison to the nike line, in they have two models that are similar to the titleist line. for me regardless of what titleist says, i hit the d3 lower with less spin. i like the forgiveness of the d2, but i hit the d3 straight enough and the lower spin/flight/launch separate it easily from the d2. the performance head is great, low spin, nice shape, forgiving, decent flight. i would have to play it at 8.5. unlike titleist where i would play the 7.5 in both d2/d3 - the nike tour head would potentially have me go up to 9.5 - or if i wanted an even lower flight keep it at 8.5. three people i have seen get fit into the covert tour had to go up two degrees from the performance head to get the numbers in check.

my recommendation is the covert tour head and consider going up in loft!

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1368570578' post='7035602']
For me there is little to no difference on TrackMan. Slightly higher launch and spin but nothing crazy.
[/quote]

found the same results. negligible... on the course it has really allowed me to properly load the club and be patient with the transition a little longer than with the .2TS.

well I will have a 7.2TS VS 6.3TS shortly. Have to say the 7.2TS loads like a champ for me so the 6.3 has it's work cut out for it.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I think if both are tipped properly then they'll be close. I know James Hahn is using .3 Tour Spec series now after using .2 Tour Spec last year. He's a 170-175 ball speed guy so the shaft can definitely handle some speed.

This shaft is still plenty low spin IMO... I played 9 last night and it was very flat hitting. I was getting tons of roll in Ohio. I was screwing around on TrackMan again today and my good ones were VERY good. Launch was 13-14 and 2200-2600 so still a pretty low spin shaft by all accounts... I didn't compare anything else because I enjoy this shaft so much.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Very good to hear JW. Didn't know Hahn was using it but not surprising. So many tour guys using one speeder shaft or another.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1368577026' post='7036230']
I think if both are tipped properly then they'll be close. I know James Hahn is using .3 Tour Spec series now after using .2 Tour Spec last year. He's a 170-175 ball speed guy so the shaft can definitely handle some speed.

This shaft is still plenty low spin IMO... I played 9 last night and it was very flat hitting. I was getting tons of roll in Ohio. I was screwing around on TrackMan again today and my good ones were VERY good. Launch was 13-14 and 2200-2600 so still a pretty low spin shaft by all accounts... I didn't compare anything else because I enjoy this shaft so much.
[/quote]

Tipping can bring these two pretty close. I think differences are much more visible on the course and not on the Trackman, they were for me at least. Both are just really good!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1368580549' post='7036744']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1368577026' post='7036230']

[/quote]

Tipping can bring these two pretty close. I think differences are much more visible on the course and not on the Trackman, they were for me at least. Both are just really good!
[/quote]

Interesting... ultimately the course it really all that does matter. I went out to my course and played 3 holes where I was hitting 3 balls off each tee with both shafts and the same head as well as setting. I hit the 6.3 about 10 yards further than the 7.2 on course and I picked three very flat holes. I definitely do not have the speed that you do though and I'm not a very high spin player anyway. I will overspin some shafts but I don't crazy overspin shafts like DI or BB either.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

^^ Yeah, for me, it tested them side by side in the R1 V2. The 7.2 was much more boring and flat, the dispersion on misses had much less sidespin. The .3 tipped, had a much higher launch angle with very low spin (a really cool ball flight btw) which I liked, but it spun noticeably more for me on mishits. The D3 w/ 7.2 actually produces a similar launch to the .3 flight I'm talking about, but a touch lower and much more consistant. If I had a lower launching and spinning head than the D3, I would go .3 tipped because I do think it feels a little better (and it's blue) :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I had a chance to hit a friends 6.3X tipped 1/2" with a harrison shotmaker in my Anser head and didn't find it as appealing as I was hoping for. Granted I prefer a heavier shaft and knew the shaft would be a little light and on the weaker end for me so I didn't go all out on it but really thought this would give me a good idea of the shaft performace before pulling the trigger. IMO opinion it felt loose, dispersion and side spin were the main concerns. I ended up going with an 8.2X TS and couldn't be happier(unless it was blue like the .3"). The .2 DEFINITELY tightens dispersion and side spin considerably. What I have found now after playing with this combo for a little while is that when compared to other "low lauch/spin" shafts, my overall top distance on perfectly struck straight balls or baby draws is about the same but the BEST part is that now when I hit to my "go-to" cut shot I have gained much much more control and 25-35 yards in distance simply because I can play a fade with it and still keep back spin easily in the 2500-2800 range. Also I maybe only use 10-15 yards when hitting straight into a good breeze.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona