2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

SWANRY30 WITB - 2014 FINALIZED?

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Rosco1216' timestamp='1368625153' post='7039554']
I had a chance to hit a friends 6.3X tipped 1/2" with a harrison shotmaker in my Anser head and didn't find it as appealing as I was hoping for. Granted I prefer a heavier shaft and knew the shaft would be a little light and on the weaker end for me so I didn't go all out on it but really thought this would give me a good idea of the shaft performace before pulling the trigger. IMO opinion it felt loose, dispersion and side spin were the main concerns. I ended up going with an 8.2X TS and couldn't be happier(unless it was blue like the .3"). The .2 DEFINITELY tightens dispersion and side spin considerably. What I have found now after playing with this combo for a little while is that when compared to other "low lauch/spin" shafts, my overall top distance on perfectly struck straight balls or baby draws is about the same but the BEST part is that now when I hit to my "go-to" cut shot I have gained much much more control and 25-35 yards in distance simply because I can play a fade with it and still keep back spin easily in the 2500-2800 range. Also I maybe only use 10-15 yards when hitting straight into a good breeze.
[/quote]

Harrison Shotmaker?? C'mon bro!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1368625459' post='7039592']
[quote name='Rosco1216' timestamp='1368625153' post='7039554']
I had a chance to hit a friends 6.3X tipped 1/2" with a harrison shotmaker in my Anser head and didn't find it as appealing as I was hoping for. Granted I prefer a heavier shaft and knew the shaft would be a little light and on the weaker end for me so I didn't go all out on it but really thought this would give me a good idea of the shaft performace before pulling the trigger. IMO opinion it felt loose, dispersion and side spin were the main concerns. I ended up going with an 8.2X TS and couldn't be happier(unless it was blue like the .3"). The .2 DEFINITELY tightens dispersion and side spin considerably. What I have found now after playing with this combo for a little while is that when compared to other "low lauch/spin" shafts, my overall top distance on perfectly struck straight balls or baby draws is about the same but the BEST part is that now when I hit to my "go-to" cut shot I have gained much much more control and 25-35 yards in distance simply because I can play a fade with it and still keep back spin easily in the 2500-2800 range. Also I maybe only use 10-15 yards when hitting straight into a good breeze.
[/quote]

Harrison Shotmaker?? C'mon bro!
[/quote]

He happened to have one in his 6.3! I've never used one!

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1368627351' post='7039814']
Did you make shots?
[/quote]

Never.

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Piretti Savona 

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1368581780' post='7036986']
^^ Yeah, for me, it tested them side by side in the R1 V2. The 7.2 was much more boring and flat, the dispersion on misses had much less sidespin. The .3 tipped, had a much higher launch angle with very low spin (a really cool ball flight btw) which I liked, but it spun noticeably more for me on mishits. The D3 w/ 7.2 actually produces a similar launch to the .3 flight I'm talking about, but a touch lower and much more consistant. If I had a lower launching and spinning head than the D3, I would go .3 tipped because I do think it feels a little better (and it's blue) :)
[/quote]

great point on the head. you need to properly match the shaft to the head and it's needs. with titleist in general i will go up in weight to a 70 or 80 and find something lower spinning. with nike/callaway/tmag/bridgestone - i can find something that is still LOW spin but i can play it in the 60's and perhaps have some added feel. fwiw - i love the feel of the 7.2/8.2ts in the driver... great load/kick.

on another note - to keep the driver straight going LOWEST spin without the proper HIGH launch numbers is death. gear affect takes over and you can exaggerate a two way miss. it could be more beneficial to stay in the 12/2500 range.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1368625285' post='7039570']
Whatever happened with the iron search?
[/quote]

i have some decisions to make for sure...

really want to see the new 714/nike/bridgestone line before taking the plunge. if i was buying right now - the cobra flow may be the way to go - not off looks but shape/feel/performance.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1368628102' post='7039938']
[/quote]

really want to see the new 714/nike/bridgestone line before taking the plunge. if i was buying right now - the cobra flow may be the way to go - not off looks but shape/feel/performance.
[/quote]

Have you hit the cobras yet? I hit them yesterday for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Redjeep83' timestamp='1368740425' post='7049652']
[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1368628102' post='7039938']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Have you hit the cobras yet? I hit them yesterday for the first time.
[/quote]

the cobra's are very nice. the x100 doesn't do me any favors though.

UPDATE

sold my rocketbladez tour irons today... which means that is time to pick something up :)

fresh off my trip to The Oven [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/847376-nike-oven-cooks-some-wrxers-we-visit-nike-for-a-tour-and-fitting/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/847376-nike-oven-cooks-some-wrxers-we-visit-nike-for-a-tour-and-fitting/[/url] and deciding to go with the unreleased/seen 2014 vr pro split cavities - i'm having a difficult time waiting until October. looks like i will be purchasing a set of vr pro blades later this week to hold me over. i will update my bag pictures when the clubs start arriving!

time to part ways with my old bag...!

I did a little searching, but didn't come up with anything. Did you do a direct comparison between the RBZ Stage 2 Tour and the Covert 3W? Would be interested in your opinion.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1370311168' post='7164384']
Anser irons... lets go...
[/quote]

No chance after your comments on distance control!!!

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1370313399' post='7164626']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I wonder if it was me randomly turning a 9 iron into anywhere from an 8 to a wedge depending how bad my swing was that time.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1370314200' post='7164716']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I wonder if it was me randomly turning a 9 iron into anywhere from an 8 to a wedge depending how bad my swing was that time.
[/quote]

I had the same exact problems when I experimented with Pings (S57's). Dispersion on pure shots was all over the place in terms of distance.. can't have that when I'm hitting them solid.. off center, different story.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1370314527' post='7164762']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1370314200' post='7164716']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I had the same exact problems when I experimented with Pings (S57's). Dispersion on pure shots was all over the place in terms of distance.. can't have that when I'm hitting them solid.. off center, different story.
[/quote]

I did with the i20s, I would nuke an iron shot every once in awhile. I remember hitting pitching wedges like 150 over greens when I normally hit them like 130 on a full swing

Biting the bullet now - walked in to buy the blades and decided to be patient on irons. I will play the ANSERs with out a problem. Much better than the rocketbladez tour and I hit them very well.

@QMany - i hit the stage 2 and covert tour three woods back to back. Different lofts so it wasn't apples to apples. I hit the covert tour lower, which was better for me.

^^ Yeah, exact same story for me. Not to bash Ping at all, just my experience and went back to blades after that.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1370317446' post='7165068']
^^ Yeah, exact same story for me. Not to bash Ping at all, just my experience and went back to blades after that.
[/quote]

Ive had a couple of those, like I caught a flier lie from the fairway haha. If I could do it over again I would go back to blades/combo set.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

This is just my experience - but the ANSERs are the most consistent iron distance wise that I have hit. Can't recall hitting a shot that made me question why it happened. If anything the mishits are more online than most irons but for sure do not punish distance on a slight mishit. Now they do to farther but after making the slight adjustment I can hit the number consistently with no fear of airmailing. We all have different experiences...

Great bag!

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

while waiting for the Nike gear to arrive from my trip to THE OVEN - i am making some other changes that will be reflected soon. the first being irons... after seeing how poorly the Rocketbladez Tour performed for me with excessive spin, i knew that they needed to find another home. these will work great for someone that could use the spin to their advantage. this leaves the iron spot to the ANSERs, but does not close the door on me looking for a players cavity until the 2014 VR PRO split cavities arrive in October. there is a looming driver/three wood change as well - which i will fill you in on very soon!

can't wait for the first shipment from Nike!

i also tried the new 20XI x ball this weekend and love it! i found that i was spinning the Lethal ball a little too much which was giving me some control issues on the approach shots. the 20XI x was a dream - and for a high spin guy longer off the tee than anything that i have played! the experiment will continue :)

have made up my mind that i will be picking up a 18* DHY after/if my driver and three wood sell. not sure if i will stick with the stock d+ or go with a MOTORE SPEEDER 9.8x.

confession to make as well. i am going crazy waiting for my Nike stuff to arrive. right now i could really use the irons as the ANSER's aren't cutting it for me. they work great in the winter and the wet, but the firmer ground is pushing me to look for a hold over set. nothing really wrong with them, they just don't have the turf interaction that i prefer.

I would[i] strongly [/i]suggest a set of Bridgestone J40CB's to tide you over. I mean, I've hit just about every head on the planet and my two favorites are the Anser's and the J40's. The great thing about the 40's is they transition so easily in and out of the bag with the Ansers. Very similar size wise so there is no adjustment time needed to feel comfortable with them. They are a true tour caliber forged head with an amazing grind that exits firm and soft turf so easily. The best part about them? They can be found for a fraction of the cost of other irons. I can say for certain this is one of the best heads ever made.

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

^^ what he said ^^

Piretti Savona 

[quote name='Doc Mcstuffins' timestamp='1370916085' post='7210604']
I would[i] strongly [/i]suggest a set of Bridgestone J40CB's to tide you over. I mean, I've hit just about every head on the planet and my two favorites are the Anser's and the J40's. The great thing about the 40's is they transition so easily in and out of the bag with the Ansers. Very similar size wise so there is no adjustment time needed to feel comfortable with them. They are a true tour caliber forged head with an amazing grind that exits firm and soft turf so easily. The best part about them? They can be found for a fraction of the cost of other irons. I can say for certain this is one of the best heads ever made.
[/quote]

Definitely legit.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Doc Mcstuffins' timestamp='1370916085' post='7210604']
[/quote]

agreed! that is why i am trying to sell my TMAG gear - for the j40cb's. this would be the perfect hold over set until the Nike's get here. ironically, when you try to sell something it suddenly is an unwanted commodity :) buy high - sell low!

i wish the anser's would do the trick for me, but they just lack in a couple of areas...

Ryan,

I'm on my 2nd set of J40 CB's. Now what does that tell you? After talking with you the other day I spent Monday and half of today hitting both the VR Pros and VR_S Forged. I hit the VR Pro Combos a while back so no need to do that again. In short, the VR Pros are really nice irons and I can see why those who play them, like them. They remind me of some mid-80's Hogan Blades and the J33r. It appears as if what little of the Hogan tribe is left around the Metro-Plex had an influence on their design. I'd definitely play them over the S_Forged. But, I agree with Doc in J40 CB being the more virtuous of the bunch. They really are that good.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.