2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SWANRY30 WITB - 2014 FINALIZED?

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1381178025' post='7966423']
wanted to give a bag update...

since getting my oven setup i have stayed away from TRACKMAN and FLIGHTSCOPE as i didn't want to tinker. however, something just seemed off with the driver. although i have needed to adjust my driver from 8.5 to 10.5 to get the proper flight (in the past i have typically played the driver at 7-8 depending on the head) the ball still seemed to react funny. for some reason i am spinning the living hell out of this driver. at the oven i wasn't - but this head spins - and spins quite a bit. it is starting to make sense (the distance loss) with the exception of how low and flat it fly's. typically when it spins it balloons, however, with this head it is almost the opposite. very confused. either way i am going to test my head against the retail covert tour and a few other heads like the 913d3, SLDR and g25 to get a reference point.
[/quote]

giving those of you a reference point before i share my findings from last night... (READ ABOVE)

drivers tested:

OVEN COVERT TOUR 7.2TS
COVERT TOUR 7.2TS
913 D3 7.2TS
SLDR 7.2TS

i'm not going to get to crazy with my writeup - K.I.S.S.

after hitting a full bucket of balls i went back into the fitting area and hit 8 balls with each driver - threw out the high and low - and took the average. the weather was cool and damp last night so the ball wasn't moving like it was a month ago (either is my body with an extra layer of clothes), but i managed to get dialed into a swing speed for all 32 balls at 108.8 +/- .2 of a mph. AoA and path stayed on average between 2-4+, while my face difference was (unfortunately) at -1. so for testing purposes my consistency was good.

hypothesis: in the test pool of drivers - the OVEN COVERT TOUR will launch the lowest with mid level spin.

spin LOWEST to HIGHEST:

SLDR (800 rpm's less than highest CENTER FACE HITS)
COVERT TOUR
OVEN COVERT TOUR
913 D3

launch LOWEST to HIGHEST:

OVEN COVERT TOUR (5 degrees less than highest CENTER FACE HITS)
SLDR
COVERT TOUR
913 D3

distance SHORTEST to LONGEST:

913d3 (15 yards less than longest CENTER FACE HITS)
COVERT TOUR
OVEN COVERT TOUR
SLDR

i could bore you with more initial data - but this proved my hypothesis going into testing. this is where i was wrong... the OVEN COVERT TOUR is toe to toe with the SLDR "when" it is hit perfectly. if it is hit is slightly on the heel - which is my miss - you are screwed. ironically, the ball doesn't over curve - but the spin jumps significantly (in some cases up to 3900 on .5" off center hits. on the contrary misses on the toe .5" jumped 800 less than the heel hit). when i have time i will post information on the drivers when the ball is hit slightly on the heel - as the results vary from the above listed.

some additional notes:

OVEN COVERT TOUR (hotmelt) and COVERT TOUR (no hotmelt) sound and feel better than the other drivers tested. when the OVEN COVERT TOUR is flushed - there is no better feel or sound period. unfortunately, it is the hardest of the drivers tested to find "that" spot.

the 913 D3 is solid. not the longest, not the straightest, but the best overall dispersion pattern. the COVERT's flew the straightest in general with the exception of one question mark hit out of nowhere.

for my swing the SLDR is the hottest driver on the market and should be considered with the COVERT TOUR for anyone that needs to drastically lower their spin and launch. beautiful shape, confidence inspiring at address and good dispersion. the sound is still just a little off for my liking - but it is much better than the retail r1 (white).

COVERT TOUR. how does a head so much smaller than the other heads go so straight? cavity technology must work.

conclusion:

before i jump ship and make a knee jerk reaction to the OVEN COVERT TOUR spinning too much - i am going to work on my swing and getting the contact back where it should be. is it too demanding for me? it might be... i don't want to give up the yardage if i barely miss hit the ball. i'm thinking that the 2.0 tour could be the answer or the correct club to put up against the SLDR next year.

i more than likely will come back and edit this post for grammar later today when i have time. feel free to ask questions :)

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang.. great writeup. I want to send you my Oven CT (I'm serious) and I bet you hit it as high on 8.5R as you do with yours on 10.5R.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I'd like to try out a SLDR head in 9.5 or 10.5. I've heard great things.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1381516881' post='7988039']
Strange that you hit the 7.5 D3 higher than the SLDR and Covert. Was the SLDR a 9.5 head, what setting?
[/quote]

8.5 d3 for reference

9.5 set to LOWER (SLDR)

all lofts were approximately the same in loft regardless of settings. pretty sure on that....

Great review......did you find the SLDR to be draw biased while testing or did setting the loft to 'lower' (opening the face) reduce its tendency to go left?

10.5* (@ 9*) Stealth+ w/ Diamana ZF 60s - 44.75"
16* (@ 15.6*) Tour Issue SLDR Mini w/ Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7s - 42.5" 
18* Tour Issue Stealth w/ Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s - 41.75"
ZX7 4-pw w/ Modus 120s
SM9 50 08F w/ Modus 120s

SM9 55 13D w/ Modus 120s
33" Piretti Cottonwood 2

TP5x

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1381516409' post='7987989']
I'd like to try out a SLDR head in 9.5 or 10.5. I've heard great things.
[/quote]

depending on your AoA and average spin rate you will need to go up in loft to keep the ball airborne. guys who really move on the ball and spin it high can play the 8* head opened up without a problem.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1381519658' post='7988253']
That makes sense.... I would be interested in hearing how your Oven CT compared to Pures side by side.
[/quote]

guaranteed my driver would launch and flight lower. mine set at 10.5R was flighting slightly lower than the retail at 8.5R.

[quote name='BigDreamz1981' timestamp='1381520436' post='7988317']
Great review......did you find the SLDR to be draw biased while testing or did setting the loft to 'lower' (opening the face) reduce its tendency to go left?
[/quote]

i found it to be fairly neutral. remember this is my unique experience and swing :)

the lower setting (open face with 2* tp adapter) helped create a better flight for me as i struggle with face difference numbers (closed face to path). in general i found the SLDR sliding weight to change the feeling of the club (balance point) more than ball flight. i prefer the weight maxed out on the toe for the feel only. i do feel the weight affects the ball flight a little but our swing geometry can create more of a difference in flight geometry - my opinion...

I also hit the SLDR and my OVEN COVERT TOUR in the 8/8.5 lower/R positions... The OVEN COVERT TOUR launches/flights much lower than the SLDR.

I was launching the SLDR 8 right around 11 with the same AoA listed above. Great club. If you added some hotmelt to dampen the sound it would be better yet.

Very happy with my driver - just need to hit the dead dead center every time. Licking my chops for the 2.0 tour!

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1381529196' post='7988981']
I also hit the SLDR and my OVEN COVERT TOUR in the 8/8.5 lower/R positions... The OVEN COVERT TOUR launches/flights much lower than the SLDR.

I was launching the SLDR 8 right around 11 with the same AoA listed above. Great club. If you added some hotmelt to dampen the sound it would be better yet.

Very happy with my driver - just need to hit the dead dead center every time. Licking my chops for the 2.0 tour!
[/quote]

Too bad that it's not black :aikido:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1381515614' post='7987903']
Dang.. great writeup. I want to send you my Oven CT (I'm serious) and I bet you hit it as high on 8.5R as you do with yours on 10.5R.
[/quote]

Why do you say that?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

SWANRY30 - I didnt follow every post but I see in your sig you are playing the 2013 20xi-x and not the Lethal any longer. I am trying to decide between the two myself and love everything about the 20xi except the sound and the feel off of the driver. It just seems hard and loud. Can you describe your experiences between the two? I had a Bridgestone ball fitting done and with my swingspeed 120.1 (on their machine, seems a little high) the rep said that Nike is probably the best fit because of the compression being higher. I know the compression on the Lethal is lower but as I was told since it is a 5 piece ball its effective compression is higher becasue of the extra layers so it works well with my SS.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Swan, thanks for the informative review. I really want to try the SLDR and these posts aren't helping. I must have missed it in your review, but between the SLDR and CT, which was more forgiving on mishits?

WITB Link

[quote name='drvrwdge' timestamp='1381541711' post='7989899']
SWANRY30 - I didnt follow every post but I see in your sig you are playing the 2013 20xi-x and not the Lethal any longer. I am trying to decide between the two myself and love everything about the 20xi except the sound and the feel off of the driver. It just seems hard and loud. Can you describe your experiences between the two? I had a Bridgestone ball fitting done and with my swingspeed 120.1 (on their machine, seems a little high) the rep said that Nike is probably the best fit because of the compression being higher. I know the compression on the Lethal is lower but as I was told since it is a 5 piece ball its effective compression is higher becasue of the extra layers so it works well with my SS.
[/quote]

i honestly don't know about compression as it isn't the same as it was 20 years ago. company's can make a lower compression ball that fits high SS players. you are correct though - i started the year off hot with the lethal. one of the best balanced balls that i have played to date. fantastic around the greens and respectable off the tee. after going to the oven i made the switch to the 20Xi x (2013) based off my fitting data. i am a high spin player - yet i always wanted to have something that i could really be aggressive with around the greens. the 20Xi x allow me to hit the ball straighter off the tee and be more aggressive with my irons/wedges into the greens. i don't have to worry about a ball sucking back randomly 20ft. i can find the distance - make the swing, attack and stick... the ball usually stays close to the pitch mark. as far as i am concerned you can't control "impressive" backspin. hit it - stick it. i'm not a huge fan of the sound off the driver when it is colder, but during the summer it sounds different. i am going to be messing around with the b330 here in a week or so to keep things interesting.

i use to be in the opposite camp - but i now subscribe to a theory i heard from a friend that took a clinic from waite/mayo... find a ball to optimize your driver. hit it high with low spin. whatever combination of driver and ball that makes it happen - go with it. that could be a chome +, rzn, lethal, pro v1x, etc... sounds as if the 20Xi x could be a great fit for you (the funny sound is the rzn).

[quote name='peterra671' timestamp='1381547139' post='7990297']
Swan, thanks for the informative review. I really want to try the SLDR and these posts aren't helping. I must have missed it in your review, but between the SLDR and CT, which was more forgiving on mishits?
[/quote]

it defies logic - but the CT was more forgiving in terms of dispersion... yet, the SLDR was 20+ yards further on mishits.

that being said the SLDR is not that punishing in dispersion.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1381514092' post='7987767']

since getting my oven setup i have stayed away from TRACKMAN and FLIGHTSCOPE as i didn't want to tinker. however, something just seemed off with the driver. although i have needed to adjust my driver from 8.5 to 10.5 to get the proper flight (in the past i have typically played the driver at 7-8 depending on the head) the ball still seemed to react funny. for some reason i am spinning the living hell out of this driver. at the oven i wasn't - but this head spins - and spins quite a bit. it is starting to make sense (the distance loss) with the exception of how low and flat it fly's. typically when it spins it balloons, however, with this head it is almost the opposite. very confused. either way i am going to test my head against the retail covert tour and a few other heads like the 913d3, SLDR and g25 to get a reference point.
[/quote]

before i jump ship and make a knee jerk reaction to the OVEN COVERT TOUR spinning too much - i am going to work on my swing and getting the contact back where it should be. is it too demanding for me? it might be... i don't want to give up the yardage if i barely miss hit the ball. i'm thinking that the 2.0 tour could be the answer or the correct club to put up against the SLDR next year.

i more than likely will come back and edit this post for grammar later today when i have time. feel free to ask questions :)
[/quote]

How did the ball speeds compare between the drivers? Also, why do you think the 913 was coming up so short?

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1381618313' post='7992809']
[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1381514092' post='7987767']

[/quote]

[/quote]

How did the ball speeds compare between the drivers? Also, why do you think the 913 was coming up so short?
[/quote]

the 913 d3 wasn't as hot off the face and it spun more than the other driver - hence coming up short. this has always been the case with me and titleist. love the equipment - but for me - it just spins too much.

the SLDR and COVERT TOUR were within tenths of a mile an hour of each other, but as i mentioned earlier, the SLDR was longer on mishits.

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1381680171' post='7995081']
How much further would you say they go versus the R1 you had?
[/quote]

i felt like my r1 v2 was dialed. the only driver that i have hit that has beat it was the COVERT TOUR head that i hit at the oven fitting. not sure that the heads that i tested last week would beat the v2. the SLDR may be the closest - but all are neck and neck (the CT at the oven would still win - wish i had that head).

i also like the feel/sound of the r1 v2 over the SLDR and 913d3.

[quote name='kenwiggins11' timestamp='1381733365' post='7998317']
You may need to change blog to 2013/2014 Bag And never finalized .. I love it! As always great information.
⛳️⛳️⛳️��
[/quote]

true... you and i know that it will never be finalized - i will limp into the new year and will have to just change the 2013 to 2014. there will always be a ??????!

you still loving the performance head? you oban kiyoshi white guys anyway....

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1381761699' post='7999067']
[quote name='kenwiggins11' timestamp='1381733365' post='7998317']
You may need to change blog to 2013/2014 Bag And never finalized .. I love it! As always great information.
⛳️⛳️⛳️��
[/quote]

true... you and i know that it will never be finalized - i will limp into the new year and will have to just change the 2013 to 2014. there will always be a ??????!

you still loving the performance head? you oban kiyoshi white guys anyway....
[/quote]

Yes I really like it minus the fact that I have not been playing As much as I would like . Coaching football and trying to take another league title hurts my handicap. That and interviews with local news stations and ESPN.. I am hoping that someday I can unleash the fury on ol whitey like swanry30 ... Or wouldn't mind hitting pure iron shots like the demo Grant Waite gave me.. Until then I will just keep yelling fore!!!!!

my 2014 nike splits will hopefully be showing today! can't wait to get them out. ever since my trip to redtail last week the light bulb came on. some setup changes (keeping my angles and spacing the same yet addressing all shots off the toe like George Knudson) and i am hitting the ball better than i have in four years (pre-children).

Nice write up on the drivers. Can't wait to see what you think of the new irons.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 4 weeks later...

MicroLite bag? How do you like it? I'm in the market.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

• 1 month later...