2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SWANRY30 WITB - 2014 FINALIZED?

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1388087934' post='8351023']
before the end of the year - there might be a new club in the bag... :)
[/quote]

SLDR 430?!?!?

WITB Link

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between that and the 460. Last week I went on TRACKMAN and played around with the 460 and it was stupid good. 36* outside and I was ripping it past my gamer by 25 yards consistently. The 430 looks even better and from early reports from others I trust - it may be a no brainer to pick one up. The SLDR TP fw and hybrids impressed me equally as much. Probably the best metal wood line top to bottom that I have hit to date...

Played nine after work yesterday in 36* fog - not ideal for golf but a well deserved break :)

Bag update...

The COVERT TOUR is as good as benched. Mishits of a quarter of an inch are punished with a severe distance loss. In the cold it is magnified. After three holes I started hitting one of my old drivers that I sold to a friend that was playing with me. 20+ yard gain instantly.

I can't say enough good things about the irons, wedges and putter as I was spot on again. The heavy static weight really allows me to feel the shot and distance. Yesterday with the cold and cog there were times where you couldn't use your range finder and with poor course marking it is all about feel. With these irons I feel confident in taking up to three clubs more if needed and still leaving it pin high. See it hit it. Wedges are in the same category. Any turf conditions or lie - spot on. For the record the strong point of my game is recovery. I'm not a great driver of the ball - but pride myself in scoring. One of my favorite players is Fredrik Jacobsen for a couple of reasons - he's Swedish and can salvage anything on the course. In my prime this was more the case - but to this day I still have a little Swedish Seve in me :)

So my next move looks like this. New driver. The SLDR 430 tp is pretty much a lock. After hitting the 460 on TRACKMAN and being blown away the 430 to felt and looked 100x better. More than likely will get in next week and verify the proper loft and length... The fw and hybrid may be right behind the driver. The SLDR tp line is fantastic and for once includes the total package with shape, feel, numbers and shaft that I can play OTR. The rest of the bag is more than safe!

The fw is very nice - the weakness being it spins a little too much. I think this is the common theme for the tour line. Extremely solid if hit perfect. Punishing on even slight mishits. The hybrid is a no brainer when it comes to accuracy and consistency. The drawbacks are twofold... Looks and sounds horrible. It is one of those clubs that you keep despite - because it works :)

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1388334068' post='8362771']
The fw is very nice - the weakness being it spins a little too much. I think this is the common theme for the tour line. Extremely solid if hit perfect. Punishing on even slight mishits. The hybrid is a no brainer when it comes to accuracy and consistency. The drawbacks are twofold... Looks and sounds horrible. It is one of those clubs that you keep despite - because it works :)
[/quote]
You still gaming the hybrid? What made you go with the performance over the Tour? Will you be checking out the 2.0 hybrids?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1391011955' post='8557927']
[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1388334068' post='8362771']
[/quote]
You still gaming the hybrid? What made you go with the performance over the Tour? Will you be checking out the 2.0 hybrids?
[/quote]

Don't interrupt the man! His 2013 bag is still not finalized!! :tongue:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

2014 DRIVER FITTING RECAP

I had the chance to drop in on the guys at Redtail this Friday where they had my top three driver choices SLDR 430/460 and NIKE COVERT 2.0 TOUR loaded up with some shafts they know work for me. I started by warming up with my current gamer the NIKE COVERT 1.0 TOUR set to 9.5* R / MOTORE SPEEDER 7.2TS @ 44.75" D5. My main problem with the CT is two fold - any strikes off the center of the face by .25" are punished severely, more so off the heel than toe. The ball doesn't go too far off line as much as it robs you of 20-40 yards. When you are hitting it well it is hard to beat - but as earlier mentioned any slight mishit hurts you... With the lack of forgiveness I wanted to improve/upgrade the sound of the strike. Center strikes sounds great, but anything off the center sounds like hell.

SLDR 430

The first driver I tested was the SLDR 430 which looks fantastic in hand. The shape screams TMAG and is slightly angular as opposed to the traditional pear shape head you may find in a Titleist. For the past three years I have been playing TMAG drivers before making the switch to the CT, so the shape fits my eye. In addition, the smaller head is appealing to me visually. The 430 feels and sounds great - a significant upgrade to my CT. The ball flight was very strong and flat with low spin, which looked on par with my CT, while mishits were not nearly as punishing as my CT. I could easily hit a push cut and had a difficult time turning anything over with this head set at 10.5 N. For reference I typically play all TMAG heads in the R position. When I had my r1 v2 head measured it was 3* open effective loft at 7*, which hit the ball higher than the SLDR 430 at 10.5 N. I would say that my miss hits were only losing 10 yards in comparison to the drastic 20-40 yard loss that I am accustom to with my gamer.

SLDR 460

My first hit with this driver was noticeably higher than my gamer and the 430 - and very straight. In fact almost every hit was high and straight with some turning over without me trying to hit a draw. I don't mind straight but an unintended or planned draw is not something I like to see. From my experience if this happens during a fitting it will turn into a 40 yard sweeping hook on the course. After hitting a few shots I knew that we needed to adjust the head from 10.5 N to R. Making this changed dropped the ball flight and spin slightly and flattened out the apex, which I felt was a little too high (not flat enough flight to my eye). This also controlled or almost eliminated the unintentional right to left flight. The 460 was much easier to hit consistently than the 430 and my CT, but I was sacrificing the nice acoustic element of the 430. Visually, I felt like there was something left to be desired as the 430 head shaped looked more refined and balanced than the larger 460. Based on the performance I was willing to put the 460 in play over the 430.

COVERT 2.0 TOUR

This could have been a one hit and done fitting. Jason had one head set up with the stock KK TINI and another with my 7.2TS. For familiarity I decided to use the head set up with my shaft. We chose to go with the settings off my 1.0 TOUR which are 9.5 R. The head looked completely different than what I am used to looking down at, as the added heel to toe length is extremely apparent. The toe is also softer and more rounded. Many people have compared the shape to the NIKE LTD, I think it looks very much like the SQ TOUR or 909d3. If I was designing the head it would be a blend of the 1.0 and 2.0 TOUR - keeping the head slightly deeper yet incorporating the pear shape... Regardless - the ball jumped off the face with a powerful yet traditional sound. I don't think that there is a head on the market that feels or sounds this nice. The ball flight split the SLDR 460 and 430 with similar spin and launch characteristics. The mishits were on par with the SLDR 460 if not slightly better and I only had one ball fly significantly off line (dead pull). After adjusting the tee a little lower I was really liking how I could hit the ball high and straight or with a slight, slight cut. This will translate on course to a straight ball or if hit on the heel (my miss) a ball that will fall right 15 yards.

FINAL NOTES/THOUGHTS

All three drivers are great - in fact splitting hairs on performance. Strikes with all three clubs ended up in about the same location yet arrived on different flights. The forgiveness was noticeably different between the 430 and 460 heads (TMAG and NIKE), but not as drastic as I thought. The 430 head will not fit many people - but if your SS is up and you struggle with spin and flight - it is incredible. I found the COVERT 2.0 TOUR to be the perfect blend between the TMAG SLDR heads. What really separated the NIKE from the TMAG heads was the sound/feel which was incredible. If I had a TMAG bag I more than likely would have bitten the bullet and bought the SLDR 460 knowing that the NIKE sounded and felt better for bag unity only. Many of us find a brand that we like and are willing to sacrifice slightly in one category if it doesn't affect our scores. Players with a non TMAG or NIKE bag may gravitate to the COVERT 2.0 TOUR over the SLDR heads (if they find the right shaft) based off the added MOI and superior sound/feel. Either way I don't think you can go wrong with any of these heads.

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1391280198' post='8578540']
Awesome review!

I too found the 2.0 Tour feel to be quite possibly the best I have ever hit.

Mine will be here any day....
[/quote]

Road trip in progress now.. damn you and Swanry!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Great review. I have yet to test out the sldr 430 yet, but I'm liking the results of the ct 2.0 tour so far. Thanks for sharing

Titleist TSR3 9* Diamana ZF 60s
Titleist TSR3 15* Kai'li 70s

TM SIM2 Ti 19* Kai'li 70s

Titleist TSR3 24* Atmos Blue 8s
Srixon ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX6 46,50,54,58 
Betti BB46 or QB6 or Betti BB Proto

Love the bag man, I know it was almost a year ago but what did you think of the Ansers with the C-tapers in them?

Kyle

Taylor Made M6, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5, 75g
Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
TaylorMade TP5X

[quote name='dikaia22' timestamp='1391289846' post='8579406']
Love the bag man, I know it was almost a year ago but what did you think of the Ansers with the C-tapers in them?
[/quote]

Freakishly soft and long! The balance point on the ctapers would sometimes make me feel lost on the transition, but they performed well.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1391279704' post='8578504']

CALLAWAY has completely turned me off (I'm in the minority) - I will not be trying it :)
[/quote]

You're not alone. Callaway has lost me as well.

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1391293331' post='8579908']
Glad to see that you were able to test some new stuff and find something that you liked. I hope that they work out well for you.

Tai is hilarious, guy had to have them.
[/quote]

Great thing is I could easily play the SLDR 430 or 460 too - I have legitimate options moving forward. The 430 is a driver that can produce that drive every now and then that is insanely long - however there will be the occasional shot that would fall shorter than the miss with the 460 or 2.0 TOUR.

Did you ever get the PING mascot bag? I'm still hanging on the fence. I checked out the new NIKE sport lite yesterday and couldn't believe there was any material that appeared water proof (maybe the material was a non traditional water proof material). Good carry bags are hard to find. If I went with the SLDR I found a kick a$$ gray 2014 TMAG crusader bag. Awesome!

I'm with you on the SLDR 460, that thing has some serious left biased. When I set the club square to my target it results in a sweeping 30-40 yard hook. I have to lay the face wide open to keep it in play. Other than that performance is solid.

I'm looking forward to testing the CT 2.0. If it's more fade biased, with similar performance as the SLDR,I might pull the trigger.

WITB Link

[quote name='peterra671' timestamp='1391310107' post='8581490']
I'm with you on the SLDR 460, that thing has some serious left biased. When I set the club square to my target it results in a sweeping 30-40 yard hook. I have to lay the face wide open to keep it in play. Other than that performance is solid.

I'm looking forward to testing the CT 2.0. If it's more fade biased, with similar performance as the SLDR,I might pull the trigger.
[/quote]

the CT2.0 is everything that you are asking for - yet more forgiving (slightly).

with TMAG drivers i usually have to set them wide open when i get on the course to keep them in play - and it usually works great. the 430 might be the exception to that rule.

Good review Swan
Will you be putting the new 2.0 performance or CT fwy in play as well?

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1391302734' post='8580818']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1391293331' post='8579908']
Glad to see that you were able to test some new stuff and find something that you liked. I hope that they work out well for you.

Tai is hilarious, guy had to have them.
[/quote]

Great thing is I could easily play the SLDR 430 or 460 too - I have legitimate options moving forward. The 430 is a driver that can produce that drive every now and then that is insanely long - however there will be the occasional shot that would fall shorter than the miss with the 460 or 2.0 TOUR.

Did you ever get the PING mascot bag? I'm still hanging on the fence. I checked out the new NIKE sport lite yesterday and couldn't believe there was any material that appeared water proof (maybe the material was a non traditional water proof material). Good carry bags are hard to find. If I went with the SLDR I found a kick a$$ gray 2014 TMAG crusader bag. Awesome!
[/quote]

The Nike bags feel cheap to me and I don't like the stand mechanism. Let me know when you want to pull the trigger on a mascot.

after being fit on friday for the CT2.0 i have been patiently waiting to pull the plastic off the head and put it into play. yesterday did not disappoint as it was the easiest transition i have made between drivers - and quite honestly it speaks more to how good the CT2.0 as opposed to how unforgiving/punishing the CT 1.0. the weather has been great here recently as it has been up and down the west coast, however the cold overnight temperatures pushed us into a short frost delay. standing on the first tee box in the cold with an unknown club is interesting, lots of thoughts and expectations going through your head... yet having handpicked a heavy head from the fitting cart (tour department head) and recycling my 7.2TS from CT 1.0 really helped make things "familiar".

needless to say i drove the ball wonderful all day. sure there were a couple of misses - but with those three misses i was still only 10 yards off the fairway. hitting the ball where i did allowed me to stay relevant all round without being out of position and scrambling as i have been accustom to when i'm not on. i finished the round at 72 with 4 feathers and 4 bogeys - including going par, par, birdie on the last three holes with some loose shots. typically a round like this (my iron start line was about five yards off - and with pins on the edges i was leaving myself with some tough up and downs when i did miss) i easily could have been around 80 with my CT 1.0, as the ball would have been much shorter and out of position on the mishits.

i'm really looking forward to picking up the CT 2.0 FW!

on another note i also switched balls from the NIKE 20iX X to the BRIDGESTONE b330. being as cold in the morning as it has been the already hard NIKE ball is a frozen rock after one hole and unpleasant off the driver and putter. the b330 stayed very soft all round (which really shows how firm the NIKE ball is) and provided great spin control. i did notice that the b330 flighted higher than the 20iX X with my approach shots, which cost me on two holes when i tried to flight a wedge into a shorter par 4. on both occasions the wind stood the shot up as it flighted about 15 feet higher than i was intending.

Interesting ball comparison. The B330 is Bridgestone's version of the ProV1X/20XI-X/XV correct? I wouldn't have expected such a difference in flight/feel.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1391442386' post='8589906']
Nice round! Your fitting cart has Tour Department heads, am I reading that right?
[/quote]

don't quote me on it - but that is what we are thinking based off past years where there were CT stamped heads in the cart. sometimes OEM's will ship heads for initial demo and or fitting carts from the tour department. the CT 2.0 head we hand picked was heavier (with the stock shaft at stock length it was d9+) with no serial number, which allowed me to play my driver at 44.75" without an issue. perhaps none of the new heads have serials - didn't go as far as checking.

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1391443660' post='8590052']
Interesting ball comparison. The B330 is Bridgestone's version of the ProV1X/20XI-X/XV correct? I wouldn't have expected such a difference in flight/feel.
[/quote]

correct, i would put those balls in the same category. the difference was huge. i knew that the 20iX X was the ultimate low flight low spin premium ball - but i didn't realize how much it helped. in the winter it doesn't work - and the 20iX S is still too spiny. i really liked how the B330 performed!