Losing the spark to play...

Teetogreen86

I know exactly where you're coming from, being involved in the industry, playing all the time. Every now and then a step back can be like a step forward. Especially if you have something fast and german in the garage......

For me it's my Audi S4, takes my mind off other things very quickly! Lovely GTi by the way :drinks:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every now and then, after having humiliated myself by displaying my lack of golfing qualities on the course, I tend think about other things than golf. But as time goes on and I distance myself from the unfortunate round I gain confidence and become an immortal conqueror of the links once again and I'm ready for humiliation again!

/Toby

I started playing golf around the 6th grade and played threw HS. I never really practice that much i just kind of just played. For never really giving my full effort i did really good. I won alot of junior tournaments and i did good for HS golf. As soon as i graduated i kind of just gave up golf. I was burned out on it. So.. for the next 5 years i may have played 50 rounds. Well a few months ago... i can honestly say that i have gotten that spark that i never had. Ive been practicing around 20 hours a week and playing atleast 5 rounds. My game has already begun to step up and its only the start. Looking foward to some qualifiers this year and some amature events.

btw.. Nice cars. Cars caused me to get out of the golf scene sorta.

This is my weekend warrior. I use her for autocross events mainly... may even take it to a road course this year... if i dont sell it.

175016350.jpg

Ping G30 9.0* RIP'd NV 65x
Ping Anser 14.5 pro force v2 tour 86x
Adams DHy 21 stock aldila x
Titleist AP2's Rifle 7.0
Cleveland RTX 51,57,62 KBS tour black
Daddy Long Legs 37.5"

• 10 months later...

Well I figured I'd bring this thread back from the dead. I think I've played a total of 10 times this year after the layoff. Every time I've gone out I've enjoyed myself, whether I played well or not. I think I might start playing more often. One of the guys I work outside with played best ball against our head pro and one of the assistants and we drummed them. I shot 76 on my own ball without swinging a club in a month and a half. I think I got the itch back.

The VW has been taking up a ton of my spare time, which is nice. Always working on it, buying new things, and hanging out with other VW owners. No longer buying new clubs every week :drinks: . Although I did get a nice set of CG2's for a great deal a month or so ago. So hopefully I'll be back on WRX more often. I feel so out of the loop on new clubs.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts and advice. The time off was just what I needed. It made me really appreciate the time I am out on the course.

And just for kicks a few pictures:

2-3.jpg

874169511_a518ff8f69_o.jpg

874169389_551ec45e16_o.jpg

[b]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/b]

[quote name='Teetogreen86' post='396737' date='Jan 13 2007, 08:59 AM']I've recently discovered that I've lost interest in playing golf.[/quote]

I'm 38, and quit playing from when I was about 21 for 5 or 6 years. Completely lost interest. No golf on TV, nothing. I seriously think it had to do with going to the bar and getting hammered.

I still sometimes get burnt out at the end of the year, and need a month or two away from all golf clubs and any thinking of golf.

nope...will never happen to me--->Explanation follows: I am 24 years old and have been a golf fanatic since I was 12...I was very good in high school and had a chance to play golf at good east coast school but as you might notice from my avatar i went to a service academy (could have played golf there but had many other responsibilities) and was commissioned in 2006 and went from there to graduate school (current) and as soon as I am finished with that it will be on to Nuclear Power school and then a sea tour on a submarine etc etc. Nevertheless, I have always said that one day I will play in PGA Tour event or at least go to Q school a few times Now I play a decent amount of golf right now but as soon as my "real" navy duties start my rounds will be cut drastically. I figure that I will be 30 years old (back to civilian sector) when I finally get the chance to practice hard enough to attempt my goal; and my nature is that I will not be able to give up until all avenues are exhausted. But until you see my name on a tee time schedule you can bet i will NEVER lose interest.

Geez, I don't know how to put this but: I know exactly how you feel. Just last week I was having a dog of a round and I asked myself, "Why in the world do we play this stupid sport (an 'arts' friend posed the question to me a few weeks earlier)?" I mean all we do is hit a white ball around and try to get it in a hole.

Then last weekend, coming back from a year off because of studies, I shot my handicap because I was playing consistently and conservatively. Two days in a row and one was in a howling wind, at least 3 clubs at most times. But it was the exhilaration of control, of finally being able to dictate where the ball would go in this impossible game. Golf is an impossible sport. You can't master it. Never. So when you have a good day, when you feel that you have conquered it momentarily, I feel like I am king of the world.

But your case is slightly different: you are good, and consistently by the sounds of it. I think maybe what you need, after you hang the sticks up for a bit, is to get into competitive golf. Social golf isn't enough. In Australia, we have club competitions most days of the week. I think it's the competition that keeps me going, the pressure, the relief, the stress, the frustration, the exhilaration, the triumph, the struggle.

Whatever it is, I hope you come back to it and find your own inner source of inspiration.

Josh

[quote name='thenextnumber1' post='812000' date='Dec 4 2007, 12:47 PM']Start playing for money or something. I dont like just doin 18 with friends for no reason, I can never see the point in that, i dont enjoy it. But I LOVE competition Golf, thats what I play Golf for is to win competitions cos I love the feeling of trying to put a round together![/quote]

I passed up perfectly good golf days this past year to either do nothing, clean my car, or work O/T. I got down to a 6 HDCP in my 4th year of golf. That was 1998...fast forward to present I've basically been stuck at a 9.0 index for what feels like forever, and it sucks. When I first started...I had a great bunch of guys to golf with...all good sticks, and [b][i]always[/i][/b] a money game. Since then most have moved, 2 due to jobs, and another had issues with our home course. A couple are still there, but it's just not the same. I'm 40, and I'm still one of the "younger" members at our course...no kidding!! Don't get me wrong...I enjoy golfing with most of the members at our course, but there is nothing competitive about it at all. Our course is in the country...so it's a little out of the way. Junior Golf at our course is virtually non-existent. Also the only 20-30 year olds you see, are greenfee golfers. This is the age group our course should be trying to attract as members. The one thing we started this year was playing every Tuesday morning, from the tips. We have about 14 guys...and about 6 of them don't really have the game to compete. I would never discourage them, but getting paired with them is no more fun than a regular round with any other member. I do look forward to this every week. Our CC's are contested off the back tees. Most members, in the past would play a couple practice rounds before the CC's, and then wonder why they didn't do well. This has now helped some guys become a bit more comfortable playing from the back. I've always played back there...our course it great off the tips. It's hard to find a great group of guys that are competitive. Our course needs some younger blood for sure. The one thing living where we get winter...I always look forward to the spring. Here's my ride that replaced a few good golf days this past year...upgrades to it coming soon.
[attachment=195733:IMG_0407.JPG]

I tend to lose interest every now and again. It's usually when a new hobby or toy comes along and I get caught up with it. But just give it some time and the itch comes back really bad. I'm taking a vacation day on Friday and playing 18 with a buddy and can't wait.

Pic of my old mk4 GTI. She is no longer with us and met an ugly faith. :drinks:

dynoday2.jpg

I tend to lose interest from time to time when I have a bad experience on the course. It could be that I play poorly a few times in a row, playing partners are a##wipes or the course is in terrible shape. All this being said it does not usually last long, and it sure beats the heck out of sitting at home watching others play.

I grew up and learned to play in Michigan in the 1970s, so winter golf was alway out. But I used to go through that feeling every year back in High School and College anyway, it would hit me around mid-August. In the spring I was dying to get out and play, wind, cold, snow, it didn't matter, I was there. But I played a lot from spring to mid-summer, and would just get fed up. I might go a week or so right before school and not play, maybe go play tennis or something, which was bad because we played our HS golf in the fall. I always had a hard time getting fired up for fall golf. Fall was for watching football, not playing golf......

Then after college, getting married, having kids, I played a lot less, and didn't have a huge buring desire to play, but still enjoyed it when I did. But the last 7-8 years, I have had a chance to play and practice much more and loved playing as much as ever, but I still lived in Michigan until a few years ago so no winter golf, but wanted to play more.

I also think that going through some injuries and coming back probably made me appriciate the game more. I moved out here to NM a few years ago, and hurt my back in May my first year here and missed the rest of the year, that made me want to play all the more the next year. This year I have planned to try and practice and play now and then over the winter if I can, something I never have done before, I will see if I get burned out doing that.

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

[quote name='Rambler' post='812132' date='Dec 4 2007, 08:56 PM']Try a new sport. After you figure out you hate that sport you will go crawling to your local pitch and putt and beg for mercy from the golf gods![/quote]

I did that with tennis - hadn't played tennis for years, then started playing again last winter, because I needed something that actually made my pulse rise (OK, I also go to the gym twice a week, but that's not considred a 'real' sport) and something with a bit more action than golf can provide for you.

To day I'm a member of two tennis clubs, plays tennis twice a week during the winter season and once a week during the summer season, just bought 3 brand new Wilson K Factor KSix-one 95 rackets and love to play tennis now more than ever ;)

I'm in better shape now than ever before in my life - and just for the record golf will NOT get you into better shape, unless you're a 100 pound overweight fat guy with heart problems :drinks:

So not always a good idea to suggest golfers to take up another sport :beach:

Well I figured I'd bring this thread back from the dead. I think I've played a total of 10 times this year after the layoff. Every time I've gone out I've enjoyed myself, whether I played well or not. I think I might start playing more often. One of the guys I work outside with played best ball against our head pro and one of the assistants and we drummed them. I shot 76 on my own ball without swinging a club in a month and a half. I think I got the itch back.

The VW has been taking up a ton of my spare time, which is nice. Always working on it, buying new things, and hanging out with other VW owners. No longer buying new clubs every week :drinks: . Although I did get a nice set of CG2's for a great deal a month or so ago. So hopefully I'll be back on WRX more often. I feel so out of the loop on new clubs.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts and advice. The time off was just what I needed. It made me really appreciate the time I am out on the course.

And just for kicks a few pictures:

2-3.jpg

874169511_a518ff8f69_o.jpg

874169389_551ec45e16_o.jpg

Nice VW GTI's cars. It's a very funny car to drive. Is the one behind yours white or yellow ?

[quote name='madmaclive' post='814570' date='Dec 6 2007, 07:58 PM']I was wondering what the car looked like at this point. I figured with all that time off the GTI would be lookin pimptastic.[/quote]

Yeahhhhhh....let's see a totally PIMPED up VW GTI :drinks:;)

[attachment=196130:GTI_PIMP_02.jpg]
[attachment=196129:GTI_PIMP_01.jpg]
[attachment=196128:Beige_l_der.jpg]

I too at times have felt distant from the game, questioned my passion for it, and ultimately become disinterested. Living in Montana, I always have five or so months in the winter with no golf. In past years, the time I did devote to golf during the winter was spent hitting balls into a net or surfing GolfWrx. However, this year so far has been quite different. In October, I played in my last high school golf tournament (I am a senior in high school). Ever since, I have been extremely busy with my studies for school and with applying for college. In my opinion this has really separated me from the game. It’s not that deep down I don’t still love golf; it’s just that other things have come to the forefront. All my emotional drive and focus this year has been devoted to what my future holds for me (hopefully a prestigious university), whereas in past years a large portion of my time was still devoted to practicing and researching golf. Although I feel confident that come spring of next year I will rekindle my passion for the game, at times I question even this. A close friend of mine who is an unbelievably good amateur golfer walked away from the game for a couple years in his early 20’s. I pray and hope that this won’t be me, but ultimately my conscious self has no control over it. Passion and attachment to anything in life, especially golf, is a subconscious process. If you become disinterested in golf, you can’t simply override your brain and convince yourself that you love the game. Passion for golf comes from deep down inside one’s inner self. Sometimes it simply takes time away from the game for one to realize just how much it means to them.

I understand how you feel. I used to coach golf and it burned me out, so much so that I actually shelved my clubs for about 3 years, never touched them, NOT ONCE. In fact, I regret that now.

Working in the industry cannot help any either. I am glad I am not working in the golf industry, I would tire quickly of it as well.

You'll come back Tee, take a little break, that or move to Maine where you cannot play 6 months out of the year anyway!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

The only time i ever felt like quitting was after i played horrible the last nine holes of the state golf meet last year. I went from surely being top twenty to barely cracking the top 50. I also cost our team a second place finish in the meet. I decided to take a couple weeks but got the itch to play again and am playing as good as ever.

Stay away completely, I mean don't play, don't touch or clean your clubs, don't watch golf on TV, no internet golf related sites for a couple of weeks.
This will start the itch going again.
I had only felt that way several times and mostly were between jobs, self imposed golf excile for weeks and in did nothing but golf sometimes 36 holes a day 7 days a week.
But I couldn't lay it off before too long.

Thanks guys. I went out and played 9 the other night and played horrible. Guess what? I still enjoyed myself. That spark is back I think. And hopefully for good this time. And I'm starting to shop for putters. :partytime2:

wsaenotsock what kind of numbers did you put down? I dynoed my car for the first time last weekend and was impressed. 224hp/269trq. All I have is an intake and chip. Time for exhaust and stage 2. :russian_roulette:

I went out last night with a bunch of my buddies and snapped some pictures. I'm ditching the roof rack I think, and got a Euro Rear bumper. Just a couple from the shoot.

kyle1.jpg

kyle2-1.jpg

Thanks guys. I went out and played 9 the other night and played horrible. Guess what? I still enjoyed myself. That spark is back I think. And hopefully for good this time. And I'm starting to shop for putters. :partytime2:

wsaenotsock what kind of numbers did you put down? I dynoed my car for the first time last weekend and was impressed. 224hp/269trq. All I have is an intake and chip. Time for exhaust and stage 2. :russian_roulette:

I went out last night with a bunch of my buddies and snapped some pictures. I'm ditching the roof rack I think, and got a Euro Rear bumper. Just a couple from the shoot.

kyle1.jpg

kyle2-1.jpg

There is somehting I don't understand - you have german plates on that car :partytime2:

[quote name='ClubHoUno' post='815078' date='Dec 6 2007, 09:50 PM']There is somehting I don't understand - you have german plates on that car :russian_roulette:[/quote]

Haha, in America some euro car enthusiasts like to run German plates. One, because they look awesome, and two because it's a different look. It's kind of a "want what you can't have" thing I guess. After all it is just a license plate. Most people just run one on the front, but I was rear ended a month or so ago and got a euro bumper so I could fit one on the back. Just trying to do something not a lot of others have done yet. Normally I have the american plate in the rear window but took it out for the pictures.

Kyle,

The answer is simple. Get yourself a great looking wife who is an absolute biiatch. She will make you want to get out of the house and onto the golf course. So it won't matter if you are burnt out. You'll thank me later!

Seriously, no big deal, It won't be the first time or last time. Your interest will change, your availability will change. Sometimes change is good. It is good to know that you can take the month off and still shoot in the low 70s. You got that going for you which is nice! Kyle my Ct. brother from another mother you can and will change through life, just don't change being that cool cat from Ct. part, awwwwight?

I'll add one more thing for the older guys here. When I was young, I could go all winter and not play but get back into golf quickly when I started up in the spring. Basically from the end of October until April, no golf, no hitting into nets, maybe hitting a few putts on the carpet, but that was it. But after about a week or two in the spring I was right back where I left off the year before.

But now, after the winter layoff, I suck in the spring compared to how I was playing at the end of the previous season. I have been ending the year for about the last 5-7 years from about a scratch index to maybe a 1 or 2 and the most. But when I come out in the spring, I can't seem hardly to break 80 until about June. I just then steadily get better over the next couple of months and then seem to be able to shoot consistently from 70-75ish. And its not just one part of my game, it all sort of starts off slow, but probably the short game is the worst.

With that being said, I really want to try and keep up with the game somehow over the winter to see if I can hit the ground running in the spring instead of sucking........

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Move to the Northeast and after the snow falls you ll bebe waiting around and when it melts you will be running to the range..

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

You have a great looking car man!

My last dyno back in 2005. 1.8T w/ GIAC chip, 3" exhaust, EBC, intake. The torque is insane for such small motor. I managed to snap an axle at the drag strip.

dyno_20050324.jpg

I have a WRX now with this sitting on my desk waiting to go in. :partytime2:

DSC01945.jpg

[quote name='scores' post='816158' date='Dec 7 2007, 07:43 PM']Move to the Northeast and after the snow falls you ll bebe waiting around and when it melts you will be running to the range..[/quote]

Haha I grew up in CT for 18 years. I know what that's all about. I miss having that break now though. Just time to clear your head, and you are itching to play by spring time.