Losing the spark to play...

Teetogreen86

Has this happened to anyone else?
I've recently discovered that I've lost interest in playing golf. Golf has been my life for well, most of my life. I work in the industry and it will probably be my career. But that said, the last time I went out I lost interest. I played with a buddy of mine that I used to work with. I enjoyed his company, and I played well. I shot 75 and hadn't touched a club in a week and a half. But that spark just wasn't there. I don't really know how else to explain it. I have no interest in practicing or going out to play a quick 9 like I used to.

My dad is flying down for a few days and I'm going to play 9 with him tomorrow afternoon. After that I'm just going to hang it up for a few months and then see what happens. Has this happened to anyone else? :crazy:

[b]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/b]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had spurts like this over the years. It is easy for this to happen for anybody that works in the industry. Usually after a little while something with inspire me to pick it up again with a renewed energy. It may be something as simple as watching a friend play a tournament, or attending a pro event (or watching one on tv). Being on a course without clubs for once will get you going!!

I think it is healthy to actually put them away every once and a while. Talking about it like this is even better therapy. :crazy:

Don't worry it will pass....

Your love of the game will eventually shine through.

;)

That is one of the good things about living in Michigan. You get a shorter season, so you have to make the most of it. Right now, I haven't been on a course in two months, and I can't wait!

I think that might be what it is. I went through something similar last year, although not as bad. I grew up in CT so we always had that 4-5 month break which was nice. I'm planning a trip back in May so maybe I'll pick up my clubs again late April.

[b]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/b]

Oh Yeah!! The first time was a junior golfer, I used to play 7 days a week, practice, tournaments, and thanks to a very over zealous coach I walked away from the game. It might not have been so bad but we had just won our high school state championship and I gave up a scholarship to a well know university that was highly ranked at the time. That lasted over 3 years without touching a club until I moved to Florida.

The second time was after an illness struck my father and I thought being ultra healthy was the way to go. I missed golf the entire time but it was no longer important. "Fortunately" I hurt my knee that required an extended recovery and was able to play golf long before I could run and bike again!

Actually during both occurrences I missed the game but other things brought down my love for the game. Try to recognize what those things are and do what is necessary to get past them. Don't walk away!

Move to the northeast - you'll get your appetite for the game back fast in the winter.

I guess if you live in a climate where you can play 12 months a year you might lose some enthusiam. If it's available all the time there's not much anticipation. Plus, having a golf-oriented career is another contributing factor, I'm sure. I suppose I'd get tired of Halle Berry if I woke up next to her every day........maybe.

Personally, I can't envision what's happened to you happening to me. But I live in New York, work in the city and get to play or practice once or twice a week from April to mid-November. I live for my rounds on Bethpage Black, I live for playing Bethpage Red and Blue with my son, I daydream about golf all winter long, 90% of my club ho-ing takes place in the winter just to have some contact with the game. I honestly don't know what I'd do without the game of golf.

So I really hope your love for the game is rekindled somehow or you find something else to feel passionately about. We all need something that gets us away from our problems and provides a wonderful escape. That's why I can't understand these threads with people boasting about 2 1/2 hour rounds. If a round takes me 5 hours without holding anyone up, so be it. What better thing have I got to do - take my wife to the mall? Puh-leez!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!

I know how you feel Kyle. I quit playing for a few years back in the 80's but after that I became an absolute addict. I haven't swung a club since November and I have no desire to go out and play right now. I'm a warm weather golfer and when I have to wear thermals and 3 or 4 layers to stay warm it's just not fun.

You on the other hand live in Florida so you have no excuse (besides the fact you can't putt :)) so get out there and enjoy yourself :)

As they say in archery, and bow always strung looses its tension ... sometimes you just need to unstring the bow for a little while.

Another insightful post from MiMu2000.

[Glad to learn I am not the only member over 40].

A related theme in this thread says that those of us living in the frozen north are actually fortunate: We are forced to give up the game every Winter so we can return to golf with great anticipation every Spring.

To paraphase another post, we get to sleep with Halle berry, but only for six months of the year.

Do you agree with that idea, MiMu2000? ( or have you always lived in Mexico?)

Kyle,

I'm going thru the same thing right now. As you know we haven't had a winter day yet in CT. I've not missed a weekend round yet until today ... I just decided to stop playing and did other things. The last two rounds I just went thru the motions (and the motions were not close to being on plane :) )

I even got a FT-3 Tour LCG / Ozik and PING Rapture / Axis in 2 weeks ago and I've only hit them once.

I've come to the conclusion that us CT boys need a 4-5 month winter to recharge, take lessons, and do a weekly Saturday range session. I actually look forward to it.

It also didn't help that I dove right into car tuning. Read every thread on VWVortex.com and other sites and like a noob dumped the GLI for a GTI. I just put my wheels into hibernation for the winter got a new set put on today with winter shoes. I have an appointment on Tues for chip modification. From there we will have to talk about air intake and/or catback exhaust systems ... ho'ing will never end :)

I got a new snowblower for Xmas and now the all season tires ... if it doesn't snow soon I'm putting it all in the BST section.

golow

I find I lose the spark when I've had a streak of rough tournies over a season. This past year, I completely lost my game in the middle of a junior tournament stretch, where I shot dozens of shots over what I usually shoot for school. Those couple weeks were bad, it felt like I had completely lost my swing, and with it my will to play was diminishing. I talked it over with the pro at my course, and he hooked me up with an hour lesson to work out my kinks. After that, I was ready for the school golf season, and while i didn't improve on my season I had last year (almost same stats), I was just happy to be back where I was not only in scoring, but love for the game.

I agree, the winters, though long, are a good buffer to prevent burnout. But, here in NY, we aren't really having winter this year!

[sign here]

Most definitely. When you've played for 38 years it's bound to happen. For me, it's because I let work get in the way. Meaning my priorities get out of whack and I let work become too important.

Here's a short story. A friend of mine earned a sport in the PGA Championship (many times actually, but this was his first). he worked in the NE with a short golf season. So, he was working his tail off to please the membership and didn't really work on his golf game. next thing you know its time to tee it up....at a major championship! He said he felt embarrassed and vowed never to lose site of his priorities again. He regrets it now, just think if that would have been the only time he made it.

You just need to remember what got you hooked in the first place with this great little rediculous game and get back to it.

If you're out on the course thinking you'd rather be doing something else, go ahead and do it. Don't force golf on yourself.

Since you work in the industry, I'm assuming at a course (?). Try not to play where you work for a while. Take a day trip to some prestigous golf course in your area. Or just tough it out until the snowbirds go home :)

Sometimes I feel like I want to play more tennis and give golf the bump.

My only comment is if you don't want to play they don't... going out there when you don't want to will only re-enforce the "I'm going through the motions".

Have a break... put the clubs away for a while. You'll know if in a couple of weeks if you're picking up in your putter/driver in the house and think "yeah I really got to get out soon".

I've recently discovered that I've lost interest in playing golf. Golf has been my life for well, most of my life. I work in the industry and it will probably be my career. But that said, the last time I went out I lost interest. I played with a buddy of mine that I used to work with. I enjoyed his company, and I played well. I shot 75 and hadn't touched a club in a week and a half. But that spark just wasn't there. I don't really know how else to explain it. I have no interest in practicing or going out to play a quick 9 like I used to.

My dad is flying down for a few days and I'm going to play 9 with him tomorrow afternoon. After that I'm just going to hang it up for a few months and then see what happens. Has this happened to anyone else? blink.gif

Phil, is that you???

Kiss Amy at the door and we'll see ya in San Diego in a few weeks! :)

Titleist TSI3 8 degree w/Ventus Black 7x
Callaway X Hot Pro 3W 15 degrees
Mizuno CLK Hybrid 16 degrees
Titleist 712U 3 iron w/C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-W w/Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Blue Slate SM7 52, 58, 60 w/ DG S400
Odyssey ProType Black #9

I have not touched my clubs but twice in the last six months. I am burned out. I played 80 some odd rounds the two previous years and I helped coach the golf team last year and I spent too much time at the course and away from my wife. I have since taken up tennis which my wife plays and now the time I spend away is with her and I am enjoying it. I like the fast pace and the winner/loser feel I did not get from golf that I got from baseball. We are also getting ready to build a house this year and we all know how expensive golf is. Tennis is a lot cheaper. We get to play for free so the only cost is the balls now that I got two racquets.

I just spent too much time at golf. I worked for two years and got my handicap down to a 4. I shot under twice and even a few times and I just got burned out. I will more than likely get rid of my mp32 one of these days and get a more forgiving set and just play every so often. We will go to Florida in March and I won't even take my clubs with me...just my racquets. My priorities have changed and I just don't see the need to be as serious as I used to be about golf.

yeah, and it lasted about 18 years.

i stopped playing when i was 17 after fairly intensive junior playing days up in Canada during the 80s.

I really didnt touch a club until literally a 2 or 3 years ago and then the bug hit pretty hard.

wouldnt regret it at all tho. My life was focused on other totally fulfilling things and now the game is a real source fo enjoyment. infact Im still young enough to try and see if i can take it more seriously.

I also think age and maturing away from the game has helped me be able to improve more quickly.

Heres how far away I was golf. Ive lived in NYC (2000-present) and didnt even know or care the US. Open was played at Bethpage in 2002. Now i play that course almost every time I go out.

Life can be crazy. I love it.

Like MidasMulligan, I started young (10) and am now 42. It's happened to me a few times. First was college for a few years, then again about 3 years ago until this past fall.

Now, I've bought new equipment, I'm playing every chance I get, my wife has started, our 2 sons (11 & 8) are really into it, our 2 daughters (11 & 7) are even hitting the balls some with us.

Trust me, it'll come back...the break will be good for you.

I went through this over the past summer after a terrible experience in the club championship. I dreaded playing and practicing for the next few months, but had some obligations to the club and some of my buddies so I kept plugging along. Towards the end of the summer I started playing more rounds away from my club with some of my friends from college. What I started to realize was that it was not the golf and practice that I did not enjoy, but rather the experience that I was having at my club that I disliked. I ended up leaving my private club in favor of a semi-private club that I feel that I fit at much better. The bad part was that once I finally got the spark back and enjoyed playing again I broke my left hand and have not been able to enjoy the mild northeast winter that we are having.

Just like MidasMulligan2000 I too have been at it over 40 years and hit the wall in 2000 for almost 5 years. The low point was ONE round of golf on 2004.

However, I replaced with Bass fishing and got completely hooked, pardon the pun. Couldn't even force myself to think about playing golf and when I did it would only last a few minutes. Truth beknown when i quit playing golf regularly I was playing horribly and not having any fun.

Then I hit Bass fishing wall in a tournament in 2005 with the wind blowing my boat all over the place thinking, I'm taking this too serious.

My new son in law got me back to playing in 2005, I bought some new equipment, starting hitting it better, and now I'm back to the same enthusiasm I had when I was a kid and played every day.

Only Bass fished 3 times in 2005 and now look foward to every round of golf.

Truth also be known both in golf and in Bass fishing ( and fly fishing/salt water fishing) alot of the fun is in the shopping and collecting the equipment. If you guys think golf equipment can be expensive try buying bass reels, rods, tackle, boat, etc.

Glad to be Back!

Titleist TSR2 10* Hzrdus Red
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

I've been there many times and get that way just about every year. While golf is my favorite hobby, hunting is my passion and every fall golf takes a back seat.

This fall, my wife and I had our first child. Now both of my hobbies have taken a backseat to her. I am hopeful that one day she'll enjoy both of my hobbies, but it'll be okay if she doesn't.

Right now, for whatever reason, I have no desire to play. This after playing 100+ rounds per year for a long time. I think there just comes a time in your life when priorities change.

That all being the case, I'm sure I'll get the bug as soon as the weather changes. We've had some crappy weekends lately and another one on the way. Last January, I think I played around 15 rounds. This year, I haven't played since mid November.

For me, the golf bug really hits hard once daylight savings time comes around. It's too hard for me to get out during the week this time of year, but during the summer I can get out almost every day.

I did take 2 years off myself when I was around 13-14. Every year that passes now I become more obsessed with the game and trying to get as good as possible. I don't want to waste one day that I can get better. I absolutely hate losing with a passion. When I get beat I get a burning desire to work that much harder. Anyone else obsessed like me or am I just crazy? :drinks: :) :) LOL