2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Iliac Golf - Wool Pom Head Covers $5.99

Satang

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1364826124' post='6736263']
He posted in the "Equipment" forum and the mods moved his post to this sub-forum and spliced it into this thread just a little while ago.
[/quote]

Just noticed that too.

PXG 0811X 9*: Graphite Design AD BB 6X
PXG 0341 15*: Graphite Design AD BB 7X
Callaway GBB 18*: Graphite Design AD DI 9X
Tour issue 913HD 20* Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW: KBS Tour 120 S
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52* and Tour issue 56*/ 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope! She has a Callaway carry bag - HS golf, they have to carry, and this year (as she will be a sophomore), she get's a school ping hoofer bag.

I believe - and it's just me, that it's all about how you place them.

She actually prefers to walk (and ruin all the clubs) by removing the covers altogether putting them back on after the round, or on teh rare occasion that she and I ride. She got a (new to her) r9 driver this winter, I told her it stays covered up!

But she is not anal as we all tend to be. The poms on 2 clubs are big, yes, the poms on the rest are 'normal' to the various clubs they cover.

I think it was really just a crapshoot - as to who got what with respect to fit.

Her make up is driver, 3 wood, and the rest are utilty size.

I do wonder just how many people they had making these things - and why they are considerably different? Shelf life/age/wool/dye/factory or knitter? Lot's of variables.

I take most of my head covers off to play, too. Not overly concerned about clanking together. I usually carry a driver, two fairway woods and a hybrid. The driver, hybrid and one of the woods I take off and leave in the car. The other fairway wood cover I keep on and sort of cram it in the middle to cushion a little of the clanking. Generally the 3-wood cover stays on as it is not used as often as the driver, 7-wood and hybrid. Right the moment I have brand new clubs for three of the four so I'll leave the head covers on all of them the next couple of rounds until I've "licked the new off them" so to speak. It's one thing to clank together a bunch of clubs I bought used and have carried for six months. It seems slightly different to clank up a brand new $350 driver with five rounds of golf on it...

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1364823559' post='6735977']
[quote name='mac94' timestamp='1364525365' post='6718377']
I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs and an Iliac M fits me.
[/quote]
Don't get me started on the evolution of American apparel sizing, it drives me nuts.
[/quote]
Yeah it's pretty frustrating when a Small shirt fits like a poncho. I'm going to need to start wearing petite sizes or shopping in the husky junior's section.

[quote name='bu11dog' timestamp='1364832035' post='6736933']
[/quote]
Don't get me started on the evolution of American apparel sizing, it drives me nuts.
[/quote]
Yeah it's pretty frustrating when a Small shirt fits like a poncho. I'm going to need to start wearing petite sizes or shopping in the husky junior's section.
[/quote]
When I can fit into some Nike smalls, there is a problem.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[/quote]
[/quote]

Agreed. The Hal Sutton / Perry Ellis "fits like a plastic garbage bag" has never been and will never be a good look.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Just got mine in. Everything is perfect. I got 3W-Hy in Black/White/Yellow argyle and Black/Red/Yellow in 3W for another bag. The pom is bigger on the 3W but I like it. Glad I didn't get driver. I didn't even look if my leather has flaking. Honestly, I wouldn't mind. I think the photo posted above looks cool and adds to the vintage look of hand-knit pom headcovers.

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='mac94' timestamp='1364872490' post='6741601']
The fit varies slightly because they are handmade.
[/quote]

Not to knit pick (ha-ha), but my wife's a knitter and she totally poo pooed them as machine made. If you turn them inside out there's a "made in China" tag hidden way up in there. If you look carefully, there's a seam where they've been stitched together (by hand) to make them round, after being machine knit as a flat piece. The wife--an expert in all matters knitted--feels that there's $6 worth of yarn in them, especially if you count the pom-pom, but only if you bought the yarn in the US at retail prices. Being made in China, she feels that neither Iliac nor RBG is loosing money at $6/piece. FWIW.

[quote name='jmck' timestamp='1364914319' post='6743793']
[/quote]

Not to knit pick (ha-ha), but my wife's a knitter and she totally poo pooed them as machine made. If you turn them inside out there's a "made in China" tag hidden way up in there. If you look carefully, there's a seam where they've been stitched together (by hand) to make them round, after being machine knit as a flat piece. The wife--an expert in all matters knitted--feels that there's $6 worth of yarn in them, especially if you count the pom-pom, but only if you bought the yarn in the US at retail prices. Being made in China, she feels that neither Iliac nor RBG is loosing money at $6/piece. FWIW.
[/quote]

Not sure about global yarn prices, but the driver and 3-wood poms are heavy. Was gonna cut them off but they are what they are - certainly interesting looking. They could be longer though - part of my grips are left uncovered.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='jmck' timestamp='1364914319' post='6743793']
[/quote]

[/quote]

You are right about origin and not being hand-knit. However, Iliac's cost to produce is not relevant to RBG; only the price it paid to purchase from Iliac. RBG's cost is not relevant to me; only whether I got value for (my) money.

For those complaining about knitted head covers, isn't the decision tree something like this:
Buy knitted head covers?
Buy with pom poms or tassels? Do I want large pom poms or "regular"?
Buy from RBG or some other vendor?
Consider whether I get more "value" from RBG's at $5.99 or Jan Craig or Ju Ju at the prices they charge.
Upon receipt, evaluate whether I received the value I anticipated, yes or no?

The Iliac head covers actually have slightly smaller pom poms than Jan Craig. For those complaining about getting large pom poms that are "heavy" and "might fall off", why did you order knitted head covers with large pom poms in the first place? Just wanted a bargain? What did you expect (and for $5.99)? I feel no compulsion to defend RBG or Iliac, but geez, I ordered 4 for me and 4 for my wife, and they arrived fast and were much better than expected. You might debate quality and durability of knitted head covers of these Iliacs compared with JC or Ju Ju, but should you really be complaining the knitted head covers, with pom poms, look and act like, well, knitted head covers with large pom poms?

By the way, it is "nitpicking", although I appreciate the pun. Look up what nits are. It's also "losing", not "loosing".

I have Ju Jus and now these from RGB and am VERY impressed head-to-head, even more so when you think about the price tags.

Taylormade TP5

To mainline,

I've got rocket tour knit headcovers, wanted a back up set, the poms are massive compared to the rt's. My rt's don't fall off, these will.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1364924386' post='6745087']
To mainline,

I've got rocket tour knit headcovers, wanted a back up set, the poms are massive compared to the rt's. My rt's don't fall off, these will.
[/quote]
That's a possibility, I guess, and it also used to be a problem with Jan Craigs (damn pesky large pom poms). It's always something. It seems I remember reading on Golfwrx that Rocket Tours don't last, get holes in them, and are nothing like the quality of JC or Ju Jus. This thread reminds me of the old joke about the woman complaining about the quality of the food in the hotel dining room and her companion adding that the portions were also too small. It seems to me that people should have had reasonable expectations about what they were getting. Frankly, it seems to me that RBG for the most part under-promised and over-delivered.

Since I have used the word "pom pom" more in this thread than in my entire life, I will leave it to the rest of you to conduct additional post mortems.

Grammar police have no place on this site... just sayin'

I think part of the disappointment is that they were touted (rightfully so) about being Iliac covers. I've had Iliac's before and these aren't comparable in price and certainly quality. They're "ok", but overall I guess it's the perfect example of "you get what you pay for!" I'll be turning mine over at cost in the BST very soon.

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

I briefly owned a couple of Cleveland hybrids with the poms on them. Thought they were pretty cool. And I own an ostrich-leather Iliac putter cover that it quite exquisitely made. So while I knew full well that these cheap closeout wool covers would be no match for my leather Iliac my hope was something at least similar to those Cleveland ones except in various sizes and with color choices. As it turns out, that was a $30 flyer that didn't pan out. The quality is mediocre at best and they're just too big and droopy. No big deal. There are seldom any real "deals" on these closeout things.

[quote name='thevaporz' timestamp='1365012163' post='6752189']
Anyone had any luck getting a full refund from RBG including return shipping claiming "not as described?" I ordered poms and got tassels and the D on the driver was not shown in the pictures. All of the colors showed stripes. Nor did they use accurate pics for the size of the driver pom.
[/quote]

I had the same thing happen, I ordered Poms and got Tassels, sent them an email and they sent me a return shipping label and told me i'd get a full refund once they received it back

TM R1 Blk NS Pro Regio MB
TM R11 TP Fujikura Speeder
Titleist 710 CB KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM 52.08 56.11 60.04
Bettinardi BB16 34"

They make crap headcovers but great chew toys. My mini dachshund went to town on my driver and 3 wood when I left my closet door open. I hard red white and blue yarn scattered all over my living room, kitchen and dining room. I think that was 12 bucks worth of enjoyment to watch him have a good time with them.

[quote name='willsnope' timestamp='1364872769' post='6741629']
[quote name='willsnope' timestamp='1364872713' post='6741623']
I get theyre really inexpensive but one of mine has some leather flaking. Looks like iliac unloaded a bunch of old inventory hopefully rockbottom will replace it.
[/quote]
[/quote] Don't worry even if they don't flake now they will flake the first time you put a club head in the headcover. Mine showed up perfect and when I put a driver/3 wood head into the neck where the leather shield is the edges of the shield start to pull away and look like that.

[quote name='CosmosMpower' timestamp='1365084495' post='6759189']
[quote name='willsnope' timestamp='1364872769' post='6741629']
[quote name='willsnope' timestamp='1364872713' post='6741623']
I get theyre really inexpensive but one of mine has some leather flaking. Looks like iliac unloaded a bunch of old inventory hopefully rockbottom will replace it.
[/quote]
[/quote] Don't worry even if they don't flake now they will flake the first time you put a club head in the headcover. Mine showed up perfect and when I put a driver/3 wood head into the neck where the leather shield is the edges of the shield start to pull away and look like that.
[/quote]

I haven't experienced that yet, and I've had them on and off the clubs many times. Again.... no one should ever remember these covers if they're ever in the market for Iliac gear. I think Iliac will end up wishing they would've just burned the entire lot rather than getting next to nothing from RBG. People with no prior knowledge will rember this as their only exposure to Iliac. Poor decision on their part IMO.

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3