2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Big Break Mexico... (merged)

78Staff

[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1375156761' post='7566312']
I have no idea what others were looking at. I thought that was a terrific finale. Unfortunately the editing did not do justice to Taylor. I suspect there would be a different impression if they had shown holes 11-15 and specifically 15. Taylor had lost a 2-up lead to fall behind for the first time after 14 holes. She's a serious underdog at that point.
She should never die her hair blonde again.

More than anything, a win is significantly more valuable to a female player. Matt can make up 100 grand by caddying on the PGA and picking up decent checks on mini tours. Taylor is lucky to cash for a few hundred here and there on Symetra, losing money almost every event. Besides, Golf Channel and the LPGA like to promote Big Break winners. Invariably a female winner receives a bonus sponsor's exemption to go along with the one she earned on the show. The PGA snoozes.

Chad took some heat on golf forums but I really liked him. I think he rooted for his teammates from the bench more sincerely and impressively than anyone in the history of the series, including tonight.
[/quote]

I agree, when Tom was describing the "missing' holes, I was thinking to myself, those are the holes they should be showing... I (incorrectly) assumed there would be some fireworks on the last few holes since they skipped through what was invariably the meat of the round.

lol re the blond, yes I was thinking the same. Taylor is much better suited to being a brunette.

Don't disagree re Chad, but you have to allow that getting a 5K check with a Taylor win had something to do with that :).

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Titleistman1010' timestamp='1375160354' post='7566538']
Pretty unfair if you ask me. She had a wedge almost every hole. Doubt she will play well on the LPGA but you never know.
[/quote]

It did seem that way, a lot of wedges into par 4's, but they didn't show us several holes at all, so it's hard to tell for sure.

[quote name='Mcgeeno' timestamp='1375167859' post='7566842']
What do you guys think she shot?
[/quote]

I didn't keep count really, but she won several holes with pars, did make a few birdies, one or two bogies I think and one hole that she didn't even make it to the green, so I'd say she probably shot a few over par, depending on what number she would have gotten on the hole she gave from the woods. Figure a double maybe? Anyway, pretty much right at her Symetrea Stroke avg, or a bit less.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Didnt watch any of this seasons Big Break other than yesterdays finale. All I can say is Taylor's hot.

*drops mic

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1375165793' post='7566756']
[size=4]Yes, Taylor has game & was the DII champ.....but that's DII.....if Taylor was LPGA material......she'd have a full ride at DI.[/size]

I like Taylor.....she's cute and sassy....but to be realistic......I don't see her as a full exempt LPGA pro.
I think she might be very close to DFL in Lorena's event....didn't Carling Nolan (Coffing).....Ms. Birdie dance finish DFL.

All in all....kudos to win BB, Taylor.....looking at the 12 contestants....she looked like a huge underdog.
[/quote]

Charlotte Campbell from Highway 18 was a DII player also, iirc? Similar paths, a few years on Symetra, then moved on to other things. Not saying a DII player can't make it on the LPGA, I'm sure there are some, but I would say it's the exception, not the rule.

Anyway, unless something changes, Taylor will be a Symetra tour mainstay. Seriously, a +3 tournament stroke average (for two years in a row now) just doesn't get it done. I can't even figure out how she pays the bills with those stats (and not specific to Taylor - any girl on the Symetra tour). Awsi touched on it earlier, these girls make so little money on Symetra, I can't imagine how anyone not in the top 5 is making any money.

Props to Taylor for winning, I never thoughgt she should beat Matt over 18 holes, but she got it done. But as Mr22P noted, I feel she's going to be another in a long line of Big Break Symetra "journeywomen" - see Sara, Blair, Mallory, Brianna, Carling, etc for reference... Sure, there are a few exceptions, notably McPherson and O'Toole who have managed to get to the LPGA and stay more than one season, but by and large BB'rs do not LPGA'rs make.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Just caught Taylor and Matt on MD...

I'll say this, Taylor apparently only owns one type of outfit...short-shorts and the wife beater. WTF Taylor, spruce up a little for a MD appearance maybe? (See Beatriz, Aza, Paula, Paige, etc). I guess she's found her "signature look" and is sticking with it.

And props to AWSI, good call on the Symetra WD. Totally forgetting that the winner (and runner-up) would be in studio in Orlando Tuesday morning.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

I read that Taylor had Division I scholarship offers but turned them down to stay close to home. Her pupil relationship with Bob Toski probably had something to do with it.

Taylor's win was the lead story on the sports front page of the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel today. I was amazed. Photo included. Unfortunately she watched the finale by herself in Orlando, preparing for her Morning Drive appearance today. Her parents long ago had booked a trip to Mexico this week and Taylor couldn't say anything about the result, so they went ahead with it. Too bad. In a video posted on Golf Channel.com, Taylor was asked immediately after her win who she would watch the final with. She quickly named her dad, that she couldn't wait to watch the final two episodes with him. Those were the wins over Brent and Matt.

This could have been the biggest longshot win in series history, if odds had been assigned ahead of time. I nominated Taylor as a good fit for Big Break but never contemplated that she'd win. In fact, skip the idea that she's a candidate for a reunion show. Winners don't return, other than Bri, I guess.

She's also the shortest winner at 5 foot 1, and the only victor with a 10-finger grip. Somehow the hosts never mentioned that at all. But as we've noted in the LPGA forum, Abbott and crew aren't always quick to notice putting grip changes on tour.

In the Sun-Sentinel article, Taylor said one of the main reasons she tried out for the show was access to Adams equipment and fitting. She said she's played the same clubs for 5 years and has never been fit for a set. I hope it works out well for her, unlike Carling, whose results slipped. Carling played very well by her standards in two of her three LPGA and LET appearances courtesy of the Big Break win. She did trail at Lorena's event in a prime select field but made the cut in the other two tournaments and was briefly on the Saturday leaderboard at -6 in her LPGA bonus sponsor's exemption. Months later Carling got professionally fit and was stunned that her specs were changed dramatically. Nothing from her previous set was even close to what she supposedly needed. But Carling's scoring average shot up 2 strokes almost immediately and she's never returned to her previous form.

I'm not sure the schedule works for Taylor, in terms of a bonus exemption. Seemingly the only opportunity for a sponsor's exemption is Safeway in late August.

The final may not have been great quality throughout. But neither player led by more than 2 up, lots of holes were won as opposed to halved, the match went the distance, and both players had the lead within the final four holes. Overall that's above the norm, and certainly better than some recent blase finals like David over Kent and Marcela's lopsided win over Selanee. Not many matches will match the Greenbrier final.

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1375209592' post='7570118'] I'll say this, Taylor apparently only owns one type of outfit...short-shorts and the wife beater. WTF Taylor, spruce up a little for a MD appearance maybe? (See Beatriz, Aza, Paula, Paige, etc). I guess she's found her "signature look" and is sticking with it. [/quote]

I had the same thought. Matthew looked good but Taylor was overly casual. Then the makeup crew didn't do her any favors by failing to adjust. They slopped on ten layers of deep red lipstick. Or maybe that was Taylor's doing. It didn't fit her overall look.

I think she's gained some weight also. Not significant but a few pounds can be noticeable given a 5-1 frame. She dominated a massive pizza last week, as pictured on her twitter account.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1375165062' post='7566736']
[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1374562700' post='7519946']
Taylor pulled out of the Syracuse event on the Symetra Tour this week. That was the tournament she planned to play as of a few weeks ago, when she agreed to let a twitter fan try out as her caddie.

This will allow her to be home in Ft. Lauderdale when the finale airs. [size=5][b]Not sure what to make of it.[/b][/size]
[/quote]
+1 :cheesy:
[/quote]

Yeah, well that post sat here for a week. Others could have jumped in and said it meant Taylor was a cinch. I don't remember that.

Besides, Symetra Tour pros change plans all the time once the finances are gone. That's why the roster can shift quite a bit in mid summer during the meat of the schedule. Players who have struggled all season drop out and ones with lowest status suddenly make the fields.

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1375207193' post='7569790']
I can't even figure out how she pays the bills with those stats (and not specific to Taylor - any girl on the Symetra tour). Awsi touched on it earlier, these girls make so little money on Symetra, I can't imagine how anyone not in the top 5 is making any money.
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Some parents have money, like the gal I met a few weeks ago and she isn't playing the Symetra.....but has been in the US and Canada playing events and qualifying.[/size]
[size=4]But I imagine 80% of the Symetra pros don't come from well to do families.[/size]
[size=4]But I guess this is no different from other families taking out a 2nd mortgage to fun their children's aspirations.[/size]

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1375209592' post='7570118']
[size=4]I'll say this, Taylor apparently only owns one type of outfit...short-shorts and the wife beater. WTF Taylor, spruce up a little for a MD appearance maybe? (See Beatriz, Aza, Paula, Paige, etc). I guess she's found her "signature look" and is sticking with it.[/size]
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Could you imagine inviting Taylor to your private club and watching the faces on the members when they see the pink wife beaters Taylor sports....lol.[/size]

[size=4]Paige.....give up the pants and flats.....skirt and heels please.[/size]
[size=4]I'm also not digging her haircut...she needs some waves and body....hello GC make-up & hairstyle team.[/size]

[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1375212208' post='7570460']
[size=4]I had the same thought. Matthew looked good but Taylor was overly casual. Then the makeup crew didn't do her any favors by failing to adjust. They slopped on ten layers of deep red lipstick. Or maybe that was Taylor's doing. It didn't fit her overall look.[/size]
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]I was thinking the same thing.......with all that red lip stick.....she looked like she was street walking in Orlando last night.[/size]
[size=4]Taylor looks better without make-up....some pros look better without make-up and some pros don't need make-up e.g.) Azahara.[/size]

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1375214967' post='7570710']
[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1375212208' post='7570460']
[size=4]I had the same thought. Matthew looked good but Taylor was overly casual. Then the makeup crew didn't do her any favors by failing to adjust. They slopped on ten layers of deep red lipstick. Or maybe that was Taylor's doing. It didn't fit her overall look.[/size]
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]I was thinking the same thing.......with all that red lip stick.....she looked like she was street walking in Orlando last night.[/size]
[size=4]Taylor looks better without make-up....some pros look better without make-up and some pros don't need make-up e.g.) Azahara.[/size]
[/quote]

yeah I feel the same, but couldn't figure out how to say it nicely lol. The natural look works better for Taylor, for sure :).

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Bottom line is that Matthew is simply not ready to play on the PGA level.

Taylor is a better golfer who was ranked the #1 D1 player in her state. She will be fine. Can't wait till she gets her first shot in LPGA.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

[quote name='Steve Ryan' timestamp='1375216755' post='7570920']

Taylor is a better golfer who was ranked the #1 D1 player in her state. She will be fine. Can't wait till she gets her first shot in LPGA.
[/quote]

DII, not DI, right? Not taking anything away from Taylor, but there is a difference. Seems like she had offers from some DI schools as mentioned above, but since she didn't go we'll never know what should could have done at say Florida, or Miami or the regional sites? All are pretty close geography-wise, though.

"[color=#292727][size=4]Playing well has been a hallmark of her career. As a senior at St. Thomas Aquinas, Collins was the South Florida PGA’s Girls Player of the Year. She was a member of three national championship teams at [/size][/color][url="http://www.sun-sentinel.com/topic/education/colleges-universities/nova-southeastern-university-OREDU0000134.topic"][color="#005495"][size=4]Nova Southeastern [/size][/color][color=#005495][size=4]University[/size][/color][/url] a[color=#292727][size=4][size=4]nd[/size] she won the 2011 [/size][/color][url="http://www.sun-sentinel.com/topic/sports/college-sports/national-collegiate-athletic-association-ORSPT000122.topic"]NCAA[/url][color=#292727][size=4]Division II individual national title her senior year."[/size][/color]

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1375217163' post='7570958']
[quote name='Steve Ryan' timestamp='1375216755' post='7570920']

[/quote]

DII, not DI, right? Not taking anything away from Taylor, but there is a difference. Seems like she had offers from some DI schools as mentioned above, but since she didn't go we'll never know what should could have done at say Florida, or Miami or the regional sites? All are pretty close geography-wise, though.

"[color=#292727]Playing well has been a hallmark of her career. As a senior at St. Thomas Aquinas, Collins was the South Florida PGA’s Girls Player of the Year. She was a member of three national championship teams at [/color][url="http://www.sun-sentinel.com/topic/education/colleges-universities/nova-southeastern-university-OREDU0000134.topic"][color=#005495]Nova Southeastern [/color][color=#005495]University[/color][/url] a[color=#292727]nd she won the 2011 [/color][url="http://www.sun-sentinel.com/topic/sports/college-sports/national-collegiate-athletic-association-ORSPT000122.topic"]NCAA[/url][color=#292727]Division II individual national title her senior year."[/color]
[/quote]

My bad. I could have sworn that on BBM they showed a pic of her holding up a D1 trophy. Must have been D2.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1375214721' post='7570692']
[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1375209592' post='7570118']
[size=4]I'll say this, Taylor apparently only owns one type of outfit...short-shorts and the wife beater. WTF Taylor, spruce up a little for a MD appearance maybe? (See Beatriz, Aza, Paula, Paige, etc). I guess she's found her "signature look" and is sticking with it.[/size]
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Could you imagine inviting Taylor to your private club and watching the faces on the members when they see the pink wife beaters Taylor sports....lol.[/size]

[/quote]

My wife was watching and saying 'oh you can wear those on the course??? I need to get some of those'.... 'uh, maybe on a public resort but I think it would be frowned upon by the club and you would get a ton of creepy stares from the old members'.

Women's golf apparel does confuse the heck out of me though. My club has the normal private course dress code (collared shirts, tucked in, no denim unless it's winter golf, etc.) but it seems to only semi apply to women. Lot of women play out there wearing golf shirts that don't have collars. I also see a lot of women without tucked in shirts because that's either the cut of the shirt or how it was designed. Personally, I feel as long as you look presentable than it's fine. But I couldn't show up without a collar and not either get spoken to by the pro or get a ton of dirty looks.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='asab22' timestamp='1375210951' post='7570322']
I enjoyed the finale, thought it would of been better with Jay and Brent. (still don't know how either of them didn't make it)

Really think they should make the finale a 2hr show, just think it's a bit difficult for them to tell the whole 18 hole story in an hour.
[/quote]

What they really need to do is not kill the suspense. When a player is one up on 18 and there is less than 5 minutes to go in the show, you can kinda figure out what happens.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1375278749' post='7575310']My wife was watching and saying 'oh you can wear those on the course??? I need to get some of those'.... 'uh, maybe on a public resort but I think it would be frowned upon by the club and you would get a ton of creepy stares from the old members'.

Women's golf apparel does confuse the heck out of me though. My club has the normal private course dress code (collared shirts, tucked in, no denim unless it's winter golf, etc.) but it seems to only semi apply to women. Lot of women play out there wearing golf shirts that don't have collars. I also see a lot of women without tucked in shirts because that's either the cut of the shirt or how it was designed. Personally, I feel as long as you look presentable than it's fine. But I couldn't show up without a collar and not either get spoken to by the pro or get a ton of dirty looks.
[/quote]

At least my club (private), she wouldn't be able to play wearing it.

[b]WOMEN GOLFERS DRESS CODE [/b][list]
[*]No blue jeans or denim of any kind.
[*]No tennis shorts, running shorts, swimsuits, nylon shorts, or workout attire.
[*]No tank tops, tee shirts, midriffs or halter tops.
[/list]

[quote name='MJP22' timestamp='1375280575' post='7575496']
I enjoyed the finale, thought it would of been better with Jay and Brent. (still don't know how either of them didn't make it)

Really think they should make the finale a 2hr show, just think it's a bit difficult for them to tell the whole 18 hole story in an hour.
[/quote]

What they really need to do is not kill the suspense. When a player is one up on 18 and there is less than 5 minutes to go in the show, you can kinda figure out what happens.
[/quote]

They should show the entire final round.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
3 wood: Titleist TSR2

7 wood: Ping G430 max

Utility iron: Callaway Apex ut

4 Hybrid: Callaway Paradym
Irons: Titleist T100 5-pw 
Wedges: Vokey sm9 50*, 54*, 60*
Putters: TaylorMade Spider X

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='JDW3' timestamp='1375318457' post='7579832']
[quote name='MJP22' timestamp='1375280575' post='7575496']

[/quote]

[/quote]

They should show the entire final round.
[/quote]

I agree with the two hour finale show... they could combine it with a bit of a reunion show like so many of the other reality shows do, so that the "final round' could wind up being 70 minutes, 90 minutes, whatever, and the remainder filled by reunion talk... So you wouldn't be up against a hard end time making the outcome obvious, as is so often the case.

Even the weekly shows could do something like this, move to an hour and a half, with the latter part of the extra half our devoted to "after-show" type confessionals, etc.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1375322538' post='7580266']
I agree with the two hour finale show... they could combine it with a bit of a reunion show like so many of the other reality shows do, so that the "final round' could wind up being 70 minutes, 90 minutes, whatever, and the remainder filled by reunion talk... So you wouldn't be up against a hard end time making the outcome obvious, as is so often the case.[/quote]

That's an excellent idea. A 1 up lead on 18 would still hold suspense at 15 or 20 minutes before the hour. On Monday, once the program broke for a commercial with 10 minutes remaining and Taylor ahead with one hole to play, there was no room for Matthew, given the 2-3 minutes for the presentation ceremony.

The finale was a big deal in the early going. They brought everyone back in studio, and even had the Golf Channel hosts recapping play by play. They literally had Dottie Pepper and Frank Nobilo analyzing one of the finals, broken into segments of a few holes apiece. Discussing swing tendencies, etc. That might have been Danielle vs. Pam, which was two hours.

Lately they seem to add peripheral frills like Breed's program and new challenges, but the final itself is packaged rather bland. Ending at this time of year probably adds to it, still within major season and with Feherty's program now a stalwart behind Big Break.

The producers' final blog entry was the laziest and most pathetic ever. Instead of detailing some of the shots we missed on the holes that weren't shown, the goof inserted an advertisement on how to apply to get on the program: Be good at golf. Have tournament results. Don't give up if you're not chosen. Be yourself in the interview.

Wow, that might qualify for a doctoral thesis. I couldn't believe he insulted Taylor and Matthew to that degree, by acting as if they weren't worthy of mention. Taylor was barely noted in those blogs throughout.

Years ago the Golf Channel website included the full weekly confessionals from each player, often 5 or 10 minutes apiece. At Ka'anapali the comments underneath were a firestorm every week. Once they dropped the confessionals at least they added blog entries from the players themselves. Now it's majority lazy garbage on that page. Unless we really needed a bloopers video with fart jokes.

BTW, someone on twitter asked Taylor about her clothing. She said she now can afford collared shirts for the course.

you know what I miss...the behind the scenes show they did for one season, the one in Europe I think? Valeria came back and "hosted" it. It was a fun show, and it was cool to see all the stuff going on behind the cameras. I recall there was this one really good looking PA as well ;). Anyway, it was a good show, too bad they don't do it anymore.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

i'm actually surprised they haven't shown more behind the scenes. they already show little actual golf, but i would think they would show more scenes of the palyers back at the house after their rounds, whether they are having drinks or hanging out. i'm sure there are some pretty good moments. it is after all just another reality show. if i had my way, the show would stay, the producers and especially abbott would go. this show could be so much better if producers had the talent of those on other reality shows.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1375378185' post='7584360']
i'm actually surprised they haven't shown more behind the scenes. they already show little actual golf, but i would think they would show more scenes of the palyers back at the house after their rounds, whether they are having drinks or hanging out. [/quote]

There was less of that in Big Break Mexico than ever before. I almost mentioned it a couple of times. I don't think we even knew if each team was staying in a separate building.

From the confessional clips, on Team Maya it looked like Taylor was close friends with Jay, while Liebelei spent some time with Chad. She confirmed that Chad drove like an old lady. But we never saw any of it.

So James Lepp tweeted this today shortly before noon eastern time...

"Remember in June when I was in China for 2 weeks? Well, I lied. I was in Puerto Rico for BIG BREAK NFL! pic.twitter.com/VqjpBDTFF1 "

BQ_uv0WCIAE82S8.jpg

First episode is Tuesday Oct. 8th. Who else is going to be pumped for this season?

Titleist 905R 9.5*
Titleist 906f2 15*
Titleist 585h 21*
Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 34"