2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1393523118' post='8758506']
Selling my "new" G25s with CFS stiff due to back issues (18 holes on them). I did reorder the set with reg flex though so I'm still a member of the club ;)
[/quote]

BST?

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Mizuno TI 15* - HZRDUS Green RDX 6.0

***Open to suggestions***

Mizuno Pro 245 with TT DG Mid 115 S300

Mizuno T24 54 and 60 S400
Bettinardi Queen B

[quote name='JBuer' timestamp='1393523731' post='8758592']
Selling my "new" G25s with CFS stiff due to back issues (18 holes on them). I did reorder the set with reg flex though so I'm still a member of the club ;)
[/quote]

BST?
[/quote]

No. Don't have access for some reason :angry22:

i am a new fan of all things Ping... if the G25 irons had the exact same profile they have now but the offset of the i series or answer series they would in fact be the best iron ever made.

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Titleist T200 utility #3 iron with IZ 95X 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

[/quote]

This may be the most compelling endorsement of an iron that one could make.

[/quote]

Why not just send them off to Ping and get them reshafted?
Is this a more cost effective avenue?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1393528770' post='8759212']
[/quote]

Why not just send them off to Ping and get them reshafted?
Is this a more cost effective avenue?
[/quote]

Yup. Cheaper this way.

Not sure about in the US but in the uk ping quoted me £10.50 per club plus around £30 postage just to change the weight in the tuning port! By that I would assume ping would charge serious $$$ to supply and fit new shafts, ping irons especially the popular G series) have great re sale value due to their popularity so I think it may actually be cheaper to sell then buy again, rather than be stuck with 2 sets of shafts and a large bill from ping.

One thing I noticed about GI irons is that they are very popular on the LPGA and champions tours, as even scratch golfers are going to be realistically closer to those players then PGA tour pros it's a little wonder low handicap players are benefiting from these irons as will all skill levels.

Got my partial set of G25 today 5,7,9,iron the 8 & PW is ordered. I golf on a budget so have to save up. The CFS Stiff with Cushin insert is butter!!!

Whats funny is bought a set in 2013 orange dot/regular flex and hated them. Didn't like sound, ball direction or feel. Cause I wasn't hitting sweet spot. New set are silver dots and I couldn't be more happy. This is guy who has had Mizuno EZ, Speedblades, Xhots, and Rocket blade Tour..

Moral of storey Get Fit!!!

For someone who golfs on a budget you've quite quickly gone through a bunch of 2012-2014 sets ;)
Good to hear you finally settled on the winners for you!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1393633611' post='8768062']
For someone who golfs on a budget you've quite quickly gone through a bunch of 2012-2014 sets ;)
Good to hear you finally settled on the winners for you!
[/quote]

That was pretty funny...worth a "like"! Did I mention the number of used G25's available? If you like a particular newer set...wait a few months....you'll find virtually new sets on Ebay...thank to all those short-term users!

None

Haha true that. The MIZUNO eZ was a set, x hot was a set, speed blade and rocketbladez tour was demo 7 irons. I buy and resale on same money, or at least that is what my wife is told ;)

I have had 5 or 6 sets of Ping G2's, one set i5 and a set of g20 over past 8 to 9 years. I am a ping guy deep down. Played my best golf several years ago with G2's and kept looking for that magic again. The G25 I plan on keeping for a long time (something else I have told wife)

[quote name='chrisntab' timestamp='1393641897' post='8768942']
Haha true that. The MIZUNO eZ was a set, x hot was a set, speed blade and rocketbladez tour was demo 7 irons. I buy and resale on same money, or at least that is what my wife is told ;)

I have had 5 or 6 sets of Ping G2's, one set i5 and a set of g20 over past 8 to 9 years. I am a ping guy deep down. Played my best golf several years ago with G2's and kept looking for that magic again. The G25 I plan on keeping for a long time (something else I have told wife)
[/quote]

LOL...you tell the wife anything? Uh-oh, you need some re-training. How about buy some Iron City beer or Schlitz and get into some 4am poker games! I too like Ping...though I think they haven't improved a whole lot on their Ping Eye 2's...just my opinion.

None

Hi,

I'd like your advise on something, before I pull the trigger on a new G25 iron set.

I game G15, white dot (3deg upright), +0,5" at the moment. At a recent fitting session they measured 2deg flat and +1". Either something was really off with the measurement or my swing has changed a lot. I only hit once on the lie board with the tape.

Question is: should I just measure myself the lie angles (I have some of the tape), and look what figure repeats the most and then go with that lie angle? Or should I just plain select standard lie because I am in the process of becoming more rotary with my swing, and I read flatter clubs eventually help in grooving that type of swing? I am 6ft 2in tall.

Second question: I swing 93-95 mph with driver, but am looking to get more soon. Until now I've played Ping R flex steel CFS shafts in the irons. I tried the new Graphite shaft from Ping in the G25 irons and it felt great in Stiff flex. With my relatively low SS, would I benefit from the graphite shaft in the iron set? In terms of dispersion and length, how does it go with Stiff graphite vs. Regular steel?

I guess 0.5" in length is the way to go still.

Tero

I wouldn't buy anything, or rely upon any fitting until you make sure you are properly positioned at address and when hitting. The variation in lie angle and length may be the result of being too far from the ball at address, or spine angle variation at address and upon impact. Taller guys usually need upright lie angles, not flat, at least in my experience.

Video yourself using phone/iPad...at address and hitting 10 or 20 balls. Freeze video at impact.....see if you're spine angle remains constant at address and at impact, or if you're straightening when hitting. Impact board tests for lie angle are related to spine angle at impact. After you video yourself, do a side by side video comparison of your setup and impact to some tour pro with a traditional swing on YouTube for relevance. Only then will any fitting or club selection make sense. A lot of club fitters simply fit to your current swing no matter how goofy (not yours per se) and send guys off with clubs that won't fit as soon as they fix some swing flaws.

None

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1393631524' post='8767882']
For those looking to save a few bucks, I suggest looking for a used G25's for those who know what they need in color and shaft, out here in SoCal Roger Dunn has a nice selection of used G25 sets in the for couple hundred bucks off retail. Pretty good deal IMO.
[/quote]

True I would always look around second hand, although Pings hold their value more than any other clubs you will still get some good deals I'm sure.

Shouldn't matter what colour code though, Pings are the easiest irons to have the lie adjusted, that's what the groove in the heel is for (my local fitter only charges £2 per club) length can be easily adjusted also.

For anyone in the uk I would recommend golfbidder for 2nd hand clubs ( get 7 day money back guarantee so can get your money back if you don't get on with them). Second hand g25s the rarest and go quick but sure you will see more though as people start to snap up the i25s.

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/clubbrand/PI/3/Ping_iron_set.html

[quote name='Veners' timestamp='1393720978' post='8774298']
[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1393631524' post='8767882']
For those looking to save a few bucks, I suggest looking for a used G25's for those who know what they need in color and shaft, out here in SoCal Roger Dunn has a nice selection of used G25 sets in the for couple hundred bucks off retail. Pretty good deal IMO.
[/quote]

True I would always look around second hand, although Pings hold their value more than any other clubs you will still get some good deals I'm sure.

Shouldn't matter what colour code though, Pings are the easiest irons to have the lie adjusted, that's what the groove in the heel is for (my local fitter only charges £2 per club) length can be easily adjusted also.

For anyone in the uk I would recommend golfbidder for 2nd hand clubs ( get 7 day money back guarantee so can get your money back if you don't get on with them). Second hand g25s the rarest and go quick but sure you will see more though as people start to snap up the i25s.

[url="http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/clubbrand/PI/3/Ping_iron_set.html"]http://www.golfbidde...g_iron_set.html[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks Veners! Hopefully our UK brethren take advantage of your offer! If the UK is anything like the USA golf club buyers, what's outstanding at the golf store on day one is available to others at a 20-30% reduced cost a month later. The search for the "holy grail" will perpetually continue, allowing others a decent discount!

None

After a year or so I decided to part ways with my G25's. Although I like the irons, I didn't like the offset, lack of feel, or the hot spots. As these were the first irons I've ever actually been fitted for (green dot), I just felt as though they were holding me back so to speak. I should have gotten X stiff shafts (94 6i SS) but just decided to start from scratch. I currently game 914 AP2's even though I'm a 15 cap, however, the feel of the forged clubs, reduced offset and consistent distances won out.

FlyZ+ 8.5 Kuro Kage Tini X Weight Forward
Taylor Made RBZ 3W
PingG25 5W & 20 Hybrid
Srixon 565 (5-7) 765 (8-A) KBS Tour V Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX 54/58 KBS Hi Rev
Scotty Cameron Select Newport

[quote name='Konkonash' timestamp='1393737466' post='8775968']
After a year or so I decided to part ways with my G25's. Although I like the irons, I didn't like the offset, lack of feel, or the hot spots. As these were the first irons I've ever actually been fitted for (green dot), I just felt as though they were holding me back so to speak. I should have gotten X stiff shafts (94 6i SS) but just decided to start from scratch. I currently game 914 AP2's even though I'm a 15 cap, however, the feel of the forged clubs, reduced offset and consistent distances won out.
[/quote]

I am confused. I thought Ping corrected the hot spot effect that was present on G15, already to the G20 line? I seem to remember getting a demo 7 iron G20 and comparing that to my G15. I was able to actually see in practise that G15 length had variance, depending on if the hit was on the "hot spot" or not, whereas the G20 gave the same length over and over again.

Has the hot spot problem resurfaced with G25??

Tero

Started reading this thread yesterday. Finished half of the thread and that was all of the convincing I needed to demo them.

Went down to GS today and they had 3 sets, including one with i95's in them! However, the black dot 3-W stock CFS Stiff were the winners for me and I didn't hesitate to pick them up.

I have no tales of how I hit x on the LM and my SS was X with x spin rate. Or distance. Or any of that. When you hit a club on a mat, it's not a fantastic gauge of how well it will perform in the real world, but it's good enough to know if you like it based on the limited visual and audio feedback you get. That was all I needed.

Later in the day I went out to a driving range (mats, of course, it's wet up here) and I didn't expect much. I hate mats. However, when sneaking a ball or two on the grass the shots were smooth, high and long. That's much better than a typical iron shot for me, and misses were straight. I think I had one that leaked right. That's it. I play to a slight fade and these just stayed straight. Toe hits. Straight. Center - really far. I think it's going to take a bit of getting used too, but I'm willing to take on that challenge.

So, we'll see if I can take my poor ballstriking 17.2 HC (as of 3/1/14) and lower it. It's the absolute weakest part of my game and coming from blades (712mb) and the J40's, these are just easy, easy, easy. Does it mean I'll hit them well when it matters? Who knows, but if I do, the strokes are going to drop off fast and again.

If you're a single capper, suggest making the loft stronger and shoving in the KBS Tour shafts to drop the height a bit. I did mine 1* strong but I still hit'em high - higher than my S57s but then again, the G25 3 iron BLITZ all over my S57 3 iron everyday of the week, rain/hail or shine. Luv'em, easy peasy to hit and the head size is easy to overlook when your shot just flies...wee.... :taunt:

ps I think this thread will be like Robo's L4V thread, these irons are THAT GOOD.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[/quote]

First off welcome to the site. You are the first person to ever mention hot spots with these iron, I will have to respectfully disagree with you. I think you probably hit the nail on the head about being in a too soft flexing shaft. That WILL contribute to inconsistent distances, the heads do not have hot spot but if you are over powering a shaft you will have distance and direction variations.

All that being said not every iron works well for everybody and I am glad you are liking your 714 AP2 as they are a fantastic club, one of the very best.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Tero Partanen' timestamp='1393686459' post='8771116']
Hi,

I'd like your advise on something, before I pull the trigger on a new G25 iron set.

I game G15, white dot (3deg upright), +0,5" at the moment. At a recent fitting session they measured 2deg flat and +1". Either something was really off with the measurement or my swing has changed a lot. I only hit once on the lie board with the tape.

Question is: should I just measure myself the lie angles (I have some of the tape), and look what figure repeats the most and then go with that lie angle? Or should I just plain select standard lie because I am in the process of becoming more rotary with my swing, and I read flatter clubs eventually help in grooving that type of swing? I am 6ft 2in tall.

Second question: I swing 93-95 mph with driver, but am looking to get more soon. Until now I've played Ping R flex steel CFS shafts in the irons. I tried the new Graphite shaft from Ping in the G25 irons and it felt great in Stiff flex. With my relatively low SS, would I benefit from the graphite shaft in the iron set? In terms of dispersion and length, how does it go with Stiff graphite vs. Regular steel?

Tero
[/quote]I'm 6'1'' and play yellow +1/4. CFS shaft are a little softer, so you might want to try stiffs. I tried the graphites, but they weren't for me. Too light and was getting inconsistent on my shots. Might want to try the Recoils?

Ping Hoofer

Ping G430 Max 10.5* 

Ping G430 Max 3/7W

Ping BPS 5-PW

SM10 50, 56*

SC Phantom 5.5

TM TR

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Hi,

Question is: should I just measure myself the lie angles (I have some of the tape), and look what figure repeats the most and then go with that lie angle? Or should I just plain select standard lie because I am in the process of becoming more rotary with my swing, and I read flatter clubs eventually help in grooving that type of swing? I am 6ft 2in tall.[/quote]

A 5 degree change in lie angle is huge. It almost seems impossible that a swing change would change your lie angle that much.

I guess it depends on your $$$ situation but I would try to ingrain the new swing, to be sure I'm happier with it and am going to stick with it, before getting fitted for the new sticks. Don't think lie angles changed be altered much more than 2* or so.

But I think using the tape and making a lot more swings to find out what lie angle works for you with your new swing is a good idea.

[quote]Second question: I swing 93-95 mph with driver, but am looking to get more soon. Until now I've played Ping R flex steel CFS shafts in the irons. I tried the new Graphite shaft from Ping in the G25 irons and it felt great in Stiff flex. With my relatively low SS, would I benefit from the graphite shaft in the iron set? In terms of dispersion and length, how does it go with Stiff graphite vs. Regular steel?

Tero
[/quote]

Get more soon ? Swingspeed ? New driver ?

At 95 you are very close to borderline between stiff and regular.

You can probably use either flex it you're a smooth swinger but if you've got a quick tempo/transition you might do better with the stiff shaft.

Dispersion and distance is relative to the PROPER flex for YOUR swing. It is not an "automatic" that a more flexible shaft will go farther. e.g. I swing a couple of MPH harder than you do. I swing a stiff shaft. If I swing a regular shaft not only does dispersion suffer but distance suffers as well.

As for your iron shafts, I believe steel is STILL more consistent than graphite although the gap has narrowed quite a bit. Whatever works best for you is the right shaft. I personally wouldn't switch to graphite in my irons unless it was for physical reasons (graphite absorbing shock better and thereby being easier on your hands, arms, etc.)

But that's just me. If graphite works for you, go for it. :good:

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1393777073' post='8777810']
Hi,

Question is: should I just measure myself the lie angles (I have some of the tape), and look what figure repeats the most and then go with that lie angle? Or should I just plain select standard lie because I am in the process of becoming more rotary with my swing, and I read flatter clubs eventually help in grooving that type of swing? I am 6ft 2in tall.[/quote]

A 5 degree change in lie angle is huge. It almost seems impossible that a swing change would change your lie angle that much.

I guess it depends on your $$$ situation but I would try to ingrain the new swing, to be sure I'm happier with it and am going to stick with it, before getting fitted for the new sticks. Don't think lie angles changed be altered much more than 2* or so.

But I think using the tape and making a lot more swings to find out what lie angle works for you with your new swing is a good idea.

[/quote]

I find it surprising that the fitter wouldn't have you hit on the lie board more after making that big of a change.

I got fitted for the G25's yesterday. The fitter started with the black dot and had me hit 3 balls off the lie board (making sure I contact it which wasn't an issue). Then he swapped the head for the colour he thought I should be hitting, re-applied the tape and had me hit again 3 shots.

It seems like to me that you were rushed through a fitting.

[quote name='Tero Partanen' timestamp='1393745353' post='8776316']
[/quote]

I am confused. I thought Ping corrected the hot spot effect that was present on G15, already to the G20 line? I seem to remember getting a demo 7 iron G20 and comparing that to my G15. I was able to actually see in practise that G15 length had variance, depending on if the hit was on the "hot spot" or not, whereas the G20 gave the same length over and over again.

Has the hot spot problem resurfaced with G25??

Tero
[/quote]

From my own personal experience and the fact that the G25's were my fist set of Ping irons, I definitely noticed inconsistency in shot length specifically in my pitching and gap wedges. My gap wedge was typically my 100 yd club and most times it would do just that, however, after using the irons for a while I noticed that sometimes the ball would just rocket 120/125. Perhaps this was a shaft deal and honestly I didn't notice this on my other irons. Of course this seemed to always happen when I needed 100 the most. I don't have that issue at all with my AP2's. Still gaming my G25 20 degree and G20 driver, great clubs.

FlyZ+ 8.5 Kuro Kage Tini X Weight Forward
Taylor Made RBZ 3W
PingG25 5W & 20 Hybrid
Srixon 565 (5-7) 765 (8-A) KBS Tour V Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX 54/58 KBS Hi Rev
Scotty Cameron Select Newport