G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1394415366' post='8836339']
[quote name='Oldplayer' timestamp='1394269558' post='8824821']
[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1394241770' post='8822931']
[quote name='JBuer' timestamp='1394203551' post='8818875']
[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1394202722' post='8818785']
[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1394158806' post='8815915']
Pretty cool video link below...Rocco hitting 50 year old driver vs. today's.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43wIzECAso4"]https://www.youtube....h?v=43wIzECAso4[/url]
[/quote]

I own two cats. My car is black. There is snow on the ground.

All three of these statements are as relative to this thread as your post about Rocco hitting a 50 year old wood driver.

You just secretly like us Ping G25 iron guys don't you. I know you think all this forgiveness stuff is BS, but you want to hang out with us ...............!!!
[/quote]

Quit feeding the troll. It turns you........
[/quote]

I have a thread topic ready to go in about 9 months:

[b]"[i]G29 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)". Well, I'm an assistant pro at The Outback Country Club here in Australia and just trialed the new G27's....smoked by G25's, hedge hog took my ball otherwise would have shot 74...gonna try 'em on the back nine next time[/i]....[i]I play the new fuchsia color[/i]"[/b]

175,000 views later the G31s will be out.
[/quote]
We don't have hedgehogs in Australia. That would be a an echidna.
[/quote]

LOL...worth a like IMO! I'll give my 2 cents re the G25 vs. i25. I demo'd both sets today, on grass and at the store (they let me take several clubs from each set...I know the guys who run the store). Anyway, as some of you know I'm "pro blades" mostly because the distance control is as good as it gets with blades, the feedback helps improvement, and I never bought clubs to counter-act mis-hits because mis-hit's are part of golf and the outcome is far too variable to be of any value.

After hitting the G25 and i25's , the i25 would be the clear choice, and the reason is the face provides more feedback on off-center hits which is extremely important, from beginner to advanced, and center flush shots felt more blade-like with the i25. The G25 felt like hitting with a pillow, but the i25 was not harsh or uncomfortable on off-center hits. The G25 hit fine, but it's like vanilla vs. salsa. Another important point is I hit the center of the face 90% of the time, so the added perimeter weighting of the G25 probably caused the numbness, and is of little value to me. With the i25 I could really tell without looking that I hit a great shot...about as "blade-ish" as it gets....and I was impressed. Buy the way, I hit both graphite and steel and both were fine...no preference other than the graphite was slightly lighter which added clubhead speed and about 5-7 yards. On the computer I hit the i25 8 iron 178, and max 169 for the G25...no big difference, but the i25 seemed to reward center flush shots more. The i25 wants to be a pro-tour club IMO.

I also hit Speedblades in comparison. The 7 iron SB on grass range maxed at 183, with range balls and that's slightly uphill for the last 15 yards at the range. Absolutely stupid long. It was a regular graphite which I felt like I could swing as hard as I wanted with minor loss to the right. Nice clubs, but I get nervous using clubs that fly so long because I would be wondering if I should hit an 8 or 9 from 165...the i25 seemed to be more dependable for distance. The i25 is better to me than the i20 which I thought was ok.
[/quote]

Those shops must be getting fed up with you trying the G25s over and over again.....anyone would think you are making this up lol. Flushed G25 v i25 wouldn't feel much different, the more forgiving g25 allows more margin for error so it sounds like you think you are hitting the sweet spot because your shots are going straight and your usual distance but clearly you haven't even flushed a shot with them yet, obviously not the club for you as you can't even hit the sweet spot in a practice session so maybe you should finally concede they are not the club for you and leave this thread to people who have actually tried them or are gaming them on course.

It's understandable you are looking for more forgiving clubs than your blades, but even cb won't solve a problem swing.

[quote name='Tero Partanen' timestamp='1393745353' post='8776316']
[quote name='Konkonash' timestamp='1393737466' post='8775968']
After a year or so I decided to part ways with my G25's. Although I like the irons, I didn't like the offset, lack of feel, or the hot spots. As these were the first irons I've ever actually been fitted for (green dot), I just felt as though they were holding me back so to speak. I should have gotten X stiff shafts (94 6i SS) but just decided to start from scratch. I currently game 914 AP2's even though I'm a 15 cap, however, the feel of the forged clubs, reduced offset and consistent distances won out.
[/quote]

I am confused. I thought Ping corrected the hot spot effect that was present on G15, already to the G20 line? I seem to remember getting a demo 7 iron G20 and comparing that to my G15. I was able to actually see in practise that G15 length had variance, depending on if the hit was on the "hot spot" or not, whereas the G20 gave the same length over and over again.

Has the hot spot problem resurfaced with G25??

Tero
[/quote]

When 15 cap says there are hotspots, there are hotspots, ok?

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

Love my g25s but took i5s on vacation and have fallen back in love with em after rounds of 4, 10, 5, 2 and 5 over. Speechless. Have the last 60 rounds with G25s made me a better iron player? Distances are noticeably shorter. 155 six iron at 86 mph. I'm an 8.1 index

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1394386539' post='8832341']
I think my MP32s had their final round on Friday. Shot a 41 but hit ONE GIR!! G25s have to help in this area. Can't wait to get mine.
[/quote]Told ya! lol

Ping Hoofer

TM Sim2 3W

TM Sim2 4H

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-PW

SM10 50, 56*

SC Phantom 5.5

TM TR

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1394482605' post='8841691']
I'm sorry, but G25s are like cheating. Especially for us old farts! Soon to be 50 in Sept. Or should I say, 'out of shape' golfers?! lol
[/quote]

Can only agree. I'm over 50 and play off 6 h'cap, was a 2 in the carefree days of youth. I got some G25s after reading this thread (thank you this time golfwrx). I'm amazed at some of the shots I'm now producing, high flying darts the like of which I haven't hit for years. Shaping shots may be a challenge with these but high long and straight will do for me most of the time these days! Previous set was I20 which are also great sticks and were easy to hit but the G25s just seem to do what I want at this stage of my golfing life.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 deg x-torsion shaft
Callaway XR16 4wood
Callaway Big Bertha (2014) 7 wood
Irons: Srixon Z545 4-PW Nippon 950GH shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 48, 52, 56
Putter: Scotty GOLO 5R

Veners.....Another isolated and predictably hysterical defense of G25's. Are you the London Rep for Ping? Anyway, while the G25 is a very good club....IMO, the G25 just doesn't make sense for those who hit the center more often. The added "[i]weight distribution[/i]" of the G25 only serves to promote numbness. The G25 simply won't appeal to accomplished players or those who are seriously working at improving their swing via feedback. To that extent, the pro's predominately play the S series vs. the i20....and the G series is almost non-existent. They don't need a mile wide hitting area. I think the i25 could replace the S series.

Anyone who has trialed the i25 vs. the G25 and found the i25 was [i]hard to hit [/i]and the G [i]easy [/i]is caught in a mind game...IMO[i]. [/i]The fitter told me guys get pre-psyched-out as soon as they grab a "players" iron. Thus, the self-fulfilling prophecy results in "better" shots with an SGI club even though they really weren't any better. Everyone is different and if the perception is such, then by all means buy the SGI, or G25 in this case.

My test results are my opinion....I took the time to perform the test. I don't get on here and Rah Rah one particular club. Play clubs to your ability/preference. If your [i]shank distance [/i]has increased by 10 yards with the G25 or JPX EZ...great! But, for those who are searching for a nice blend of pro-line feel and strive to require [i]moderate [/i]help (i.e. provides feedback), I suggest trialing the i25's on a grass range, or at least off mats vs. the dumb store computer. The computer registered draws for both clubs that didn't happen off grass...and weird 15 yard off center shots that didn't happen on the range either...I don't trust it.

BTW...I [i]missed the center [/i]on the i25 @ 178 yards with the 8 iron? I would hate to think how far it would have gone if I hit the center! Even better selling point for the i25's...thanks!

None

[quote name='mcmanus' timestamp='1394507904' post='8844919']
To Veners... Look up the loft chart of the speed blades.. You SHOULD be able to hit almost every speed blade club longer then a G25..

3 iron: SB 17°, G25 20°
4 iron: SB 20°, G25 23°
5 iron: SB 23°, G25 26°
[/quote]

Agree, they are strong lofted and long shafted, but I gotta say if you are looking for pure distance they are crazy long...they smoke the G25's, but it's not a fair fight and I think the G25's would be more controllable in the long-run which is key to scoring. However, it is intriguing to consider hitting a 7 iron 210 yards though. Could practically "tee off" with the 4 iron! Might work for some players depending upon the course they play.

None

[quote name='mcmanus' timestamp='1394507904' post='8844919']
To Veners... Look up the loft chart of the speed blades.. You SHOULD be able to hit almost every speed blade club longer then a G25..

3 iron: SB 17°, G25 20°
4 iron: SB 20°, G25 23°
5 iron: SB 23°, G25 26°
[/quote]

Wasn't referring my post to the speed blades, was referring to Donnos historical posts in this thread where he talks about blade irons over cb.

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1394502881' post='8844273']
Veners.....Another isolated and predictably hysterical defense of G25's. Are you the London Rep for Ping? Anyway, while the G25 is a very good club....IMO, the G25 just doesn't make sense for those who hit the center more often. The added "[i]weight distribution[/i]" of the G25 only serves to promote numbness. The G25 simply won't appeal to accomplished players or those who are seriously working at improving their swing via feedback. To that extent, the pro's predominately play the S series vs. the i20....and the G series is almost non-existent. They don't need a mile wide hitting area. I think the i25 could replace the S series.

Anyone who has trialed the i25 vs. the G25 and found the i25 was [i]hard to hit [/i]and the G [i]easy [/i]is caught in a mind game...IMO[i]. [/i]The fitter told me guys get pre-psyched-out as soon as they grab a "players" iron. Thus, the self-fulfilling prophecy results in "better" shots with an SGI club even though they really weren't any better. Everyone is different and if the perception is such, then by all means buy the SGI, or G25 in this case.

My test results are my opinion....I took the time to perform the test. I don't get on here and Rah Rah one particular club. Play clubs to your ability/preference. If your [i]shank distance [/i]has increased by 10 yards with the G25 or JPX EZ...great! But, for those who are searching for a nice blend of pro-line feel and strive to require [i]moderate [/i]help (i.e. provides feedback), I suggest trialing the i25's on a grass range, or at least off mats vs. the dumb store computer. The computer registered draws for both clubs that didn't happen off grass...and weird 15 yard off center shots that didn't happen on the range either...I don't trust it.

BTW...I [i]missed the center [/i]on the i25 @ 178 yards with the 8 iron? I would hate to think how far it would have gone if I hit the center! Even better selling point for the i25's...thanks!
[/quote]

Donno I don't think anyone on this thread is a tour pro, and no one has suggested tour pros should use the G25s, if you are the type of person who bases their golf club purchase decisions on what the tour pros use then that's fine....but hang on in earlier posts didn't you say tour pros are paid to use cb clubs and would rather use real blades (not speed blades).....evil twin again?

Apologies to all for feeding the troll, I will now ignore, so this thread can resume per its topic.

[quote name='Veners' timestamp='1394523532' post='8845807']
[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1394502881' post='8844273']

[/quote]

Donno I don't think anyone on this thread is a tour pro, and no one has suggested tour pros should use the G25s, if you are the type of person who bases their golf club purchase decisions on what the tour pros use then that's fine....but hang on in earlier posts didn't you say tour pros are paid to use cb clubs and would rather use real blades (not speed blades).....evil twin again?

Apologies to all for feeding the troll, I will now ignore, so this thread can resume per its topic.
[/quote]

Nothing gets by you, you got me....I based my purchase of 1988 Apex Redline's on what the pro's use today. And, just a little advice, the term "CB's" is an awfully large population of clubs. Apparently you lump G25's in with AP2 714's? But a handful of guys like you are so fixated on hating blades that it's "CB's vs. Blades", instead of the more correct observation that there's easier to hit CBs, harder to hit CBs, and CBs that may as well be blades. The industry hasn't moved away from blades, the consumer has, because the marketing is WORKING that everyone can "buy" a swing. As for the Ping's, the i25's are simply the better club for better players, or better for those who want more feedback vs. "pillow talk".

Now.....don't get back on this thread and tell us that [i]Queen Mum[/i] shot 74 at St. Andrews with Camilla as the caddy!

None

I just noticed yesterday how the sole of my UW has the finish worn off. I use the club a lot and have been playing it since about November,

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1394618891' post='8853887']
I just noticed yesterday how the sole of my UW has the finish worn off. I use the club a lot and have been playing it since about November,
[/quote]

The dark color doesn't go through the metal, it's a surface treatment. The clubs wear remarkably well though in my experience. The color lightens with use but the wear doesn't stand out like a sore thumb or anything.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1394627902' post='8854301']
[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1394618891' post='8853887']
[/quote]

The dark color doesn't go through the metal, it's a surface treatment. The clubs wear remarkably well though in my experience. The color lightens with use but the wear doesn't stand out like a sore thumb or anything.
[/quote] yeah it just looks like a polished surface now. Down here in Florida we have a sandy soil, so the wear usually happens a little quicker

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[/quote]

By Jove I think you've GOT it !!! :taunt::taunt::taunt:(cool)

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1394643529' post='8856175']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's funny how a little contradictory info so easily crushes the fragile hopes of the "[i]buy a swing[/i]" golfers. However, these guys perform a great service for the those who wish to purchase used clubs for 50% off....about 6 months after original purchase when those clubs too....are ultimately blamed for mediocre play.

None

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jolly good mate! I'm not so sure the troll will stay away though, I'm sure the once invigorating conversations with the locals in the red neck hillbilly hang out now appear dull compared to the world of the internet.

We may have to just smile politely, drink our tea and watch the queen mum rise from her grave to smack a 74 round St Andrews with her Ping shovels. Tally ho :-)

[quote name='StuartM' timestamp='1394493984' post='8842969']
[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1394482605' post='8841691']
I'm sorry, but G25s are like cheating. Especially for us old farts! Soon to be 50 in Sept. Or should I say, 'out of shape' golfers?! lol
[/quote]

Can only agree. I'm over 50 and play off 6 h'cap, was a 2 in the carefree days of youth. I got some G25s after reading this thread (thank you this time golfwrx). I'm amazed at some of the shots I'm now producing, high flying darts the like of which I haven't hit for years. Shaping shots may be a challenge with these but high long and straight will do for me most of the time these days! Previous set was I20 which are also great sticks and were easy to hit but the G25s just seem to do what I want at this stage of my golfing life.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. As I slouch toward sixty, I am able to make towering approach shots with the G25s that I couldn't do with my previous irons (Titleist 775s). This not only assuages an admittedly fragile, aging ego, it allows me to hit drop and stop shots near the hole more often than before with the happy result of a lower score per round. Not a bad tradeoff for having to look at a larger footprint.

G410 Plus 10.5
X2 Hot 3 Wood
X2 Hot 5 Wood
G410 19, 22, and 26 degree hybrids
G25 6 - UW
Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 56.14
SC Futura X 33 "

I am totally giddie

I am leaving work in 6 mins to pick up my G25 irons and Gorge tour wedges.
My buddy called me to tell me they arrived today and I cannot wait to take them out and throw them in my bag.

Called the indoor simulator place and scheduled a 1030am tee time!

Yessir!!!

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

[quote name='KjBowenWRX' timestamp='1394742340' post='8865039']
I am totally giddie

My buddy called me to tell me they arrived today and I cannot wait to take them out and throw them in my bag.

Yessir!!!
[/quote]

Lucky! Got word yesterday that my set has shipped. Should be in Tomorrow or Monday.

[quote name='Veners' timestamp='1394698365' post='8861243']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Jolly good mate! I'm not so sure the troll will stay away though, I'm sure the once invigorating conversations with the locals in the red neck hillbilly hang out now appear dull compared to the world of the internet.

We may have to just smile politely, drink our tea and watch the queen mum rise from her grave to smack a 74 round St Andrews with her Ping shovels. Tally ho :-)
[/quote]

At least you have a sense of humor...the last line made me LOL.

None

[quote name='KjBowenWRX' timestamp='1394742340' post='8865039']
I am totally giddie

Yessir!!!
[/quote]

That last line was pretty good too...some future SNL writers on this thread.

None

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1394761362' post='8867157']
Thinking of adding 3I to my set, anyone's impressions of it?

Also wondering if I should go down a flex for the 3I for some height?
[/quote]

I added the 3 iron, it hits it very high so maybe better testing before going down a flex.

I actually started a thread about my G25 3 iron as although it's a good club I was still hitting my i3+ blade 4 iron further than it?!

I had the kbs tour stiff shafts in my i3s and cfs stiff in my g25s, have since switched the kbs shafts to the g25s and it has made a huge difference for me in dispersion and distance, however I didn't have a i3 3 iron to take the kbs out of so at the moment it's not in the bag.

I found the cfs stiff had too much spin in the mid and long irons for me and the overall weight increase of the kbs also helped me feel the club more so I kind of went the opposite way.

How do you get on with your current flex/set up in your 4 iron?

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1394761362' post='8867157']
Thinking of adding 3I to my set, anyone's impressions of it?

Also wondering if I should go down a flex for the 3I for some height?
[/quote]

I added the 3 iron, it hits it very high so maybe better testing before going down a flex.

I actually started a thread about my G25 3 iron as although it's a good club I was still hitting my i3+ blade 4 iron further than it?!

I had the kbs tour stiff shafts in my i3s and cfs stiff in my g25s, have since switched the kbs shafts to the g25s (4 to 9 iron) and it has made a huge difference for me in dispersion and distance, however I didn't have a i3 3 iron to take the kbs out of so at the moment it's not in the bag.

I found the cfs stiff had too much spin in the mid and long irons for me and the overall weight increase of the kbs also helped me feel the club more so I kind of went the opposite way.

How do you get on with your current flex/set up in your 4 iron?

I hit my 4/5 rather high for a mid hitter with regular CFS. Not that I mind at all. On one hand I worry about hitting too low with 3I on the other hand why not have a club I can hit into wind and not get it blown off.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='Veners' timestamp='1394698365' post='8861243']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Only thing you can do is let him keep talking to HIMSELF. BTW, who was he calling the "Ping Rep" ? You or me ? :cheesy:

And telling him to "sod off" probably won't help either. :lol:

IMHO, 75-95% of the people that play golf simply either want to enjoy it more, don't have the physical ability to improve, or just want to make the lowest scores they can either because the don't HAVE the time, or just don't WANT to put in the time, to try to "improve" enough so the can play blades.

Of course then there are 12 handicappers who expect they'll get good BY playing blades. It helps them concentrate more. :rolleyes::)

Of course some of THEM may have already REACHED their potential and just don't realize it (yet ?). :blind:

Cheerio !!! :wave:

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]