2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='payne7744' timestamp='1395116334' post='8895301']
I have G 20 irons reg graphite, 8.1 index 56yrs, 7 iron about 160, driver ss 95. Fit to standard specs. Really looking at G25 irons. Has anybody tried recoil shafts or other aftermarket reg flex graphite shafts? I'm really looking for a good reason to upgrade to G 25. Since they've been out over a year now how does everyone think they compare to the G20s? Performance wise, I have always liked the look better, but I can't justify the purchase on looks alone. I'm trying to experience some real personal growth here. I can already feel I'm getting weak! Thanks Guys.
[/quote]

You probably didn't read the whole thread (who could by now ? :lol: ) but there have been mentions of the G20s.

I personally am on my 3rd season with G20s and I love 'em,,,,,,,,, Just put some C-Tapers in 'em. Not sure if I like them more or less than the DGS300s that were in them before.

I've tried hitting the G25s a number of times into the launch monitors in various stores. MY impression of them, compared to my G20s of course, is not favorable.

With a variety of shafts I felt the 25s kind of "numb" feeling. I really couldn't tell where on the face I was hitting the ball. With my 20s I always know. Strikes never felt all that solid regardless of where I hit it on the face. Distance and dispersion were, as expected, pretty decent and pretty consistent though.

25s had a great "feel". I swung them just fine. Just weren't for ME.

But as this thread shows plenty of others love 'em. Nothing wrong with giving them a try. :good:

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

I have G 20 irons reg graphite, 8.1 index 56yrs, 7 iron about 160, driver ss 95. Fit to standard specs. Really looking at G25 irons. Has anybody tried recoil shafts or other aftermarket reg flex graphite shafts? I'm really looking for a good reason to upgrade to G 25. Since they've been out over a year now how does everyone think they compare to the G20s? Performance wise, I have always liked the look better, but I can't justify the purchase on looks alone. I'm trying to experience some real personal growth here. I can already feel I'm getting weak! Thanks Guys.
[/quote]
I'm 65 and currently playing Wishon 770's with Aerotech 95's stiff. My 7 iron goes about 150. I've tried the G25's at the dome and liked the forgiveness, easy height and feel compared to my irons. I was thinking about going to these with Aerotech's (great dispersion) and now have second thoughts. One poster said he liked the feel of the recoils better; probably because they are higher torgue.
I'm really about feel these days wanting something softer and can feel the shaft loading. The stock graphite in regular gave me this. I've check with Ping and can have the stiff (86g) soft stepped twice to get it close to the flex of the regular (74g). I like the weight around 85 grams and softer flex.
Not wanting to pay the premium for the recoils I would still like to try them out next to the stock if the Ping demo van has them. My fitter was just getting into the Aerotechs and didn't have many shafts to try other wise I would have gone with the 85 gram model in regular of stiff.

[quote name='weten2' timestamp='1395152751' post='8896635']
[quote name='jv92red' timestamp='1395122024' post='8895507']
Looking to pick these up but am curious of someone could let me know what the swing weight would come in for these with KBS Tour stiff (120g) + 1/2" length?
[/quote]
Ping can adjust the head weight to give you the swing weight you are looking for.
[/quote]
I won't be ordering these from Ping - I've got a lead on a used set that I was wondering about.

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1395122073' post='8895509']
[/quote]

You probably didn't read the whole thread (who could by now ? :lol: ) but there have been mentions of the G20s.

I personally am on my 3rd season with G20s and I love 'em,,,,,,,,, Just put some C-Tapers in 'em. Not sure if I like them more or less than the DGS300s that were in them before.

I've tried hitting the G25s a number of times into the launch monitors in various stores. MY impression of them, compared to my G20s of course, is not favorable.

With a variety of shafts I felt the 25s kind of "numb" feeling. I really couldn't tell where on the face I was hitting the ball. With my 20s I always know. Strikes never felt all that solid regardless of where I hit it on the face. Distance and dispersion were, as expected, pretty decent and pretty consistent though.

25s had a great "feel". I swung them just fine. Just weren't for ME.

But as this thread shows plenty of others love 'em. Nothing wrong with giving them a try. :good:
[/quote]

Wow...hell just froze over...with like 1,000 shaft options...none felt right? G25 numb? Wow, no "right" shaft? Not a chance. There's tons of shaft options for the G25s to suit even the most hardcore player. Hard to believe you even tried the clubs...but keep posting BS...I'm entertained.

None

[quote name='jv92red' timestamp='1395159017' post='8897321']
Looking to pick these up but am curious of someone could let me know what the swing weight would come in for these with KBS Tour stiff (120g) + 1/2" length?
[/quote]
Ping can adjust the head weight to give you the swing weight you are looking for.
[/quote]
I won't be ordering these from Ping - I've got a lead on a used set that I was wondering about.
[/quote]

Mine are D0, I didn't specify a swing weight. For the set you are interested in get the serial number and call PING. they and they'll let you know the specifics on the set.

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55S

G430 Max 3W Alta CB Slate 65S

G410 2H, 3H Alta CB Red 70S

Glide 2.0 ES 54,60 AWT wedge S (blackout)

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

[quote name='Neurotica' timestamp='1395319290' post='8909993']
[quote name='jv92red' timestamp='1395159017' post='8897321']
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Mine are D0, I didn't specify a swing weight. For the set you are interested in get the serial number and call PING. they and they'll let you know the specifics on the set.
[/quote]

I think Ping standard is to build them at D0 unless you specify. Go to a retailer and have them "weighed" on the swingweight machine. SW is another one of those subjective things.....whatever feels right to you.

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

As an alternate suggestion, I suggest testing graphite shaft version (I did vs. the steel) because to me the head feels heavier in relation to the lighter shaft, which results in an important (to some players) pronounced feel of club head position throughout the swing. Plus, the lighter shaft promotes increased swing speed.

None

[quote name='trapp20' timestamp='1395457141' post='8922951']
[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1395114736' post='8895201']
Nice post Trapp...feedback like that helps others. What clubs are you replacing?
[/quote]

I was gaming the 712mb's right before that, but I switch between those and the J40's.
[/quote]

Wow, tough call between J40's and 712's...then G25's. You must be a lower gross player.

None

Just purchased a set of Ping G25s 4-PW with Recoil 95 shafts. I am looking forward to hitting with them.

Ping G425 Max w/Accra FX-250 M3 shaft
Taylormade AeroBurner Mini Driver 14 degree
Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood
Titlist VG3 Type-D 5-PW irons w/Nippon Zelos 7 shafts
Cleveland RTX-3 CB 48, 54, 58 (all 2 dot)
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 putter

[quote name='bobgeorge' timestamp='1395465538' post='8923691']
Just purchased a set of Ping G25s 4-PW with Recoil 95 shafts. I am looking forward to hitting with them.
[/quote]

I'm interested in your experience with the Recoils. I have Steelfiber and hear the recoils are a little softer feeling; something I'm looking for. I would probably go with the 800 series for the 85 gram weight if it is similar to the 95.

[quote name='weten2' timestamp='1395499160' post='8924853']
[/quote]

I'm interested in your experience with the Recoils. I have Steelfiber and hear the recoils are a little softer feeling; something I'm looking for. I would probably go with the 800 series for the 85 gram weight if it is similar to the 95.
[/quote]

Are the recoils hard to find considering it seems you can't demo them? And how would they compare to the graphite shaft? Curious.

None

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1395513035' post='8925903']
[quote name='weten2' timestamp='1395499160' post='8924853']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Are the recoils hard to find considering it seems you can't demo them? And how would they compare to the graphite shaft? Curious.
[/quote]

I originally had G25s with the Recoil 110 (stiff) shafts....but did a fitting and was told I needed regular shafts. I sold the G25s with stiff and just bought these yesterday with the 95 regulars.

For one...the Recoils are heavier than the Ping shafts. IMO, the Recoils feel better than the regular Ping shafts....but that is just my opinion.

Ping G425 Max w/Accra FX-250 M3 shaft
Taylormade AeroBurner Mini Driver 14 degree
Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood
Titlist VG3 Type-D 5-PW irons w/Nippon Zelos 7 shafts
Cleveland RTX-3 CB 48, 54, 58 (all 2 dot)
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 putter

[quote name='mcmanus' timestamp='1395599504' post='8932013']
Just got back from my first round with my new G25's.. and wow am I impressed....

Coming from a set of Nike Machspeeds these clubs are just pure!!!

The CFS Stiff shafts are amazing!
[/quote]

Kinda corroborates with my tests regarding CFS shafts...I think they're pretty dang good...and you know Ping spends countless hours pairing shafts to club heads. I'm the type who believes "I don't know better" than the 100's of Ping engineers who design clubs for optimal performance. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I've trialed about every shaft option in the Ping line and the CFS's are fine. Heck, maybe I'm not at the 1% level to take advantage of incremental variations.

None

Been playing the G25's for about a year now and still very happy with them.
We sometimes have very dry conditions and I had been worried about too
much bounce off hard fairways. It's been 10 weeks since we had any rain
and no sprinklers. These irons work just as well on hard pan as they do on
well watered fairways.
gotta love um.

Talent is the desire to practice

[quote name='joeshmo' timestamp='1395732084' post='8945213']
Been playing the G25's for about a year now and still very happy with them.
We sometimes have very dry conditions and I had been worried about too
much bounce off hard fairways. It's been 10 weeks since we had any rain
and no sprinklers. These irons work just as well on hard pan as they do on
well watered fairways.
gotta love um.
[/quote]

Yes, I can confirm that hardpan is no problem for these.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

Took the G25 Iron plunge - saw a set of G25's 4-UW Stiff CMS Black std lenght for sale on Craigslist for $375 locally and bought them, figured if they didn't work out they would hold that value, (actually seem to go for more on Ebay) I have been playing with a 20 year old set of Mizuno's which are pretty similar in design, gradual offset, look...

They passed the fake/real tests - so now just to test them...

Looks like Saturday here in Rhode Island will be playable...will post my impressions...

[quote name='allparz' timestamp='1395843374' post='8954243']
Took the G25 Iron plunge - saw a set of G25's 4-UW Stiff CMS Black std lenght for sale on Craigslist for $375 locally and bought them, figured if they didn't work out they would hold that value, (actually seem to go for more on Ebay) I have been playing with a 20 year old set of Mizuno's which are pretty similar in design, gradual offset, look...

They passed the fake/real tests - so now just to test them...

Looks like Saturday here in Rhode Island will be playable...will post my impressions...
[/quote]

$375 is a killer deal...I wonder if there's better deals on used sets in the more seasonal climates?

None

[quote name='smigin' timestamp='1395852717' post='8955385']
just don't like the fat top-line; my loss I'm sure
[/quote]

What do you play now? You should demo the G25's just for fun...they are pretty solid irons, I like the i25s better but the Gs are good. I know what you mean about the top-line...but its not nearly as wide as others. For me, I'm not a big fan of the color of the head...the gunmetal look is not attractive. I liked the Ping Eye 2's, but the color of those clubs was equally boring. But, the negatives in terms of aesthetics wear off once you get used to them.

None

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1395880267' post='8958669']
[/quote]

What do you play now? You should demo the G25's just for fun...they are pretty solid irons, I like the i25s better but the Gs are good. I know what you mean about the top-line...but its not nearly as wide as others. For me, I'm not a big fan of the color of the head...the gunmetal look is not attractive. I liked the Ping Eye 2's, but the color of those clubs was equally boring. But, the negatives in terms of aesthetics wear off once you get used to them.
[/quote]

I used to play the BeCu Ping Eye2 (still gets me uptight when I remember selling them) but now play the trusty MX300. You know I might just try and block the topline out of my mind and just see how they perform, however they will have to be something else to knock these Mizuno out the bag.

you may cost me big time, darn it

[quote name='smigin' timestamp='1395913828' post='8960309']
[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1395880267' post='8958669']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I used to play the BeCu Ping Eye2 (still gets me uptight when I remeber selling them) but now play the trust MX300. You know I might just try and block the topline out of my mind and just see how they perform, however they will have to be something else to knock these Mizuno out the bag.

you may cost me big time, darn it
[/quote]

I know it's important for many players for the club to look good to the player's eye.

I played, in the 90's, arguably 2 of the ugliest irons ever made and played reasonably well with them (Lynx Parallax and Cleveland VAS).

When asked about how ugly they looked how could i stand looking at them I just old my buddies "I don't really look at anything but the leading edge. If I feel like it suits my eye and I'm pointing it where I want I don't really care what the rest of the club looks like". Thick top line, thin top line, who cares ? I wasn't looking THERE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Give it a try - who knows ???

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]