2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

These clubs are truely spectacular. When I put them in play last November I was a 21hcp. As of today I am a 13.9. I can also say my iron play is not what is holding me up from shooting better scores. These things will be in the bag for a long time.

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

I really have to get used to the difference in length on the 9-PW-SW. My previous irons had the same length for 9-PW and SW and was +1"...The Pings go down 1/2" with each club and are only + 1/2"...ending up with a difference of -/- 1." on the PW -/- 1.25" on the SW compared to the previous set...

Hope I can get used to that!

Ping G425 Max - 10.5* - Tensei Orange 65 Stiff

Ping G30 3w - 14.5* - Ping Tour 80 Reg

Ping G25 Hybrid - 23* - TFC 189 Reg

Ping i525 5 - UW - AWT 2.0 Stiff

Vokey SM9 54.10 S - TT AMT Black S300

Ping Glide 58* SS - CFS Wedge

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Vice Tour

Got my irons (3-U). 8 hdcp, currently playing 2008 AP2's.

First thoughts after two range sessions - They are bigger than my AP2s but its not my as much as I thought. The biggest difference is the U wedge vs. AP2's. The G25 version just appears chunkier though I hit it great. Overall long, straight and consistent. Long enough that I will likely have to 3/4 shots with the U if it's around 125.

Turf interaction is great. I have a tendency to hit balls fat and that isn't happening. Kudos to ping for the wide soles.

What are peoples thoughts on holding greens? Had some big bouncers in which I hit the range green but they didn't hold. Likely the range and range balls but curious on peoples thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bstring' timestamp='1398184389' post='9144327']
[quote name='Schweitzer' timestamp='1398083583' post='9135337']
After 2 rounds I'm questioning my G25 decision. I think it's a shaft issue, but either way, I can't hit a green outside of 115 yards to save my life. I really think that in 2 rounds I've hit less than 7-8 greens, which shouldn't happen when you have 7 iron or less in your hands in the fairway on most holes. The only shots that have worked for me are 3/4 wedge shots with the PW and UW, and even my distances on those are iffy. I've alternated between airmailing greens and leaving them 5 or so yards short.

I've got the i15's back in the bag for the next round and we'll see what happens. I really want to like the G25's but I can't take missing so many greens.
[/quote]

It could very well be a shaft issue. (in my humble opinion) The stock shafts offered work for a wide range of golfers
but not everyone. I tried a few "upcharge" shafts and loved the G25's. However, I chose to stay married so I didn't
spring for the extra $35. a club for another shaft. If you can find the right shaft for you, the G25's are great clubs.
[/quote]

Hmmm...$35 was the deciding value to stay married or not? LOL. I last checked at $53...but $35 is a no-brainer.

None

A question for you G25 users, sorry if this has been discussed. How does the soft rubber insert hold up? Does it stand up to a nylon brush or the club cleaners at the range? For some reason, that was one of the first things I thought of when these came out. Just curious, thanks.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Diamana Kai'li-R
Ping G15 4 Wood 17* Serrano 75-R
Ping G25 20* Hybrid TFC189-R
Ping Anser 23* Hybrid TFC800H-R
Ping i25 4,5,6 / S55 7-W CFS-R
Ping Glide SS 50* CFS-W
Ping Glide ES 56* CFS-W
Ping Anser G2
Golf Pride CP2 Wraps
Yellow Trusoft / Elite 50

Look, in regard to the OP not liking his new G25's, just give them some time, but, it could also be mental (not mental crazy...lol). You possibly bought into the concept that the G25's, based on Golf Digest Gold rating....10,000 other reviews, etc., will somehow make up for less-than-sound technique. I am guilty of the same mindset with "easier to hit" irons. I take a "[i]mental vacation[/i]" with easier to hit clubs, thinking they will somehow provide cover. Not so, and the mindset actually results in worse shots! Zero to do with the clubs.

I'm predominately a blade player, but I have played the G25's on demo basis, and I have no aversion to CBs, even ugly fat ones. Generally they all perform quite well, but the mantra of "easier to hit" is untrue if I slack on technique. For me, the setup (alignment) with the G25's is not immediately resolved like my blades. Don't know why, could be the brownish color of the club, offset, etc, but I find it harder to align the face to the target line than my FG-51's and Apex's. In contrast, the G25's make me think I'm Tiger Woods at impact, even with BS swings, and the ball flies farther even if hit 1/2 inch towards the toe. But somehow the cumulative result after a round is "no gain". The misses are just different.

Some may argue the shafts are the culprit...could be. However, I have completely rethought the impact of shafts after watching Mark Crossfield's YouTube [i]shaft test video[/i]. He tested a ladies shaft vs. men's stiff, same head, with virtually no difference in findings. So, while his test is not an end-all test, it raised major doubts that the shaft makes or breaks performance, at least in terms of the complaint of missing most greens from short yardage. My advice is to treat the G25's like they're blades and employ steady tempo and solid technique. Don't think for a second that you can slack-off with G25's because they're "easier to hit". Only then will the benefits of the G25 become apparent. Treat them like 1959 blades from a mental aspect.

None

This thread has gone quiet. 6 month honeymoon over for me . Missed the workability (4hd ) great irons if your not the best ball striker as so forgiving.

I realised I was giving up more shots losing the ability to flight the ball than I was gaining in forgiveness

Now with s55 and my birdie count is way up on before

Tm sldr 460 with diamana bb x flex
Tm sldr 3 wood speeder s
Ping i25 19 deg hybrid tfc stiff
Ping s55 4-pw Cfs stiff
Cleveland rtx black 52, 58, 64
Odyssey bwb versa 9

[quote name='drg613' timestamp='1400812671' post='9351475']
A question for you G25 users, sorry if this has been discussed. How does the soft rubber insert hold up? Does it stand up to a nylon brush or the club cleaners at the range? For some reason, that was one of the first things I thought of when these came out. Just curious, thanks.
[/quote]

I've had mine almost a year now, playing throught the winter, and the insert is holding up fine. I consider this to be a major improvement over the badge that was on my G10's which would periodically fall out and get lost, or the inserts on my I-wedges that also would fall out and get lost. In those cases, you have to send the club to ping, wait three weeks, and pay one way postage.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1400812828' post='9351499']
Look, in regard to the OP not liking his new G25's, just give them some time, but, it could also be mental (not mental crazy...lol). You possibly bought into the concept that the G25's, based on Golf Digest Gold rating....10,000 other reviews, etc., will somehow make up for less-than-sound technique. I am guilty of the same mindset with "easier to hit" irons. I take a "[i]mental vacation[/i]" with easier to hit clubs, thinking they will somehow provide cover. Not so, and the mindset actually results in worse shots! Zero to do with the clubs.

I'm predominately a blade player, but I have played the G25's on demo basis, and I have no aversion to CBs, even ugly fat ones. Generally they all perform quite well, but the mantra of "easier to hit" is untrue if I slack on technique. For me, the setup (alignment) with the G25's is not immediately resolved like my blades. Don't know why, could be the brownish color of the club, offset, etc, but I find it harder to align the face to the target line than my FG-51's and Apex's. In contrast, the G25's make me think I'm Tiger Woods at impact, even with BS swings, and the ball flies farther even if hit 1/2 inch towards the toe. But somehow the cumulative result after a round is "no gain". The misses are just different.

Some may argue the shafts are the culprit...could be. However, I have completely rethought the impact of shafts after watching Mark Crossfield's YouTube [i]shaft test video[/i]. He tested a ladies shaft vs. men's stiff, same head, with virtually no difference in findings. So, while his test is not an end-all test, it raised major doubts that the shaft makes or breaks performance, at least in terms of the complaint of missing most greens from short yardage. My advice is to treat the G25's like they're blades and employ steady tempo and solid technique. Don't think for a second that you can slack-off with G25's because they're "easier to hit". Only then will the benefits of the G25 become apparent. Treat them like 1959 blades from a mental aspect.
[/quote]

I actually agree with you here Donno! I have recently been off with my irons and I'm putting it down to this, lazy bad swings, when I first moved to my G25s from ping i3+ blades it was like wow someone had turned on a switch, but I had Learned to strike the ball cleanly with the i3s so when I started using the g25s there was a noticeable improvement in ball striking consistency, I've he one complacent though and recently I've been struggling with ball striking, in addition as the ground is getting harder I have this mental block thinking the thicker sole will not pick the ball so well off the hard pan, negative thoughts of course then creating bad miss hits.

Was considering giving the i25s a demo or the ap2s but I'm sure it's all in the head and another switch will at some point come undone also.

The Indian not the arrow situation, need to get back to following through and positive mental thoughts...

[quote name='Veners' timestamp='1402484017' post='9472045']

[/quote]

I actually agree with you here Donno! I have recently been off with my irons and I'm putting it down to this, lazy bad swings, when I first moved to my G25s from ping i3+ blades it was like wow someone had turned on a switch, but I had Learned to strike the ball cleanly with the i3s so when I started using the g25s there was a noticeable improvement in ball striking consistency, I've he one complacent though and recently I've been struggling with ball striking, in addition as the ground is getting harder I have this mental block thinking the thicker sole will not pick the ball so well off the hard pan, negative thoughts of course then creating bad miss hits.

Was considering giving the i25s a demo or the ap2s but I'm sure it's all in the head and another switch will at some point come undone also.

The Indian not the arrow situation, need to get back to following through and positive mental thoughts...
[/quote]

Who's swing doesn't suddenly leave town? Sometimes all it takes is a [i]shank [/i]that almost takes your buddies head off, a "10" on a par 3, a sprinkler-trench chunk from 30 yards into the water 2 feet away, etc., and then the mind starts to make what seems like minor "in-process" swing changes that in end up messing up some other aspect of the swing.

Off topic, but I went through 100's of YouTube videos to find out why it's hard to transfer iron shots from the range to the course. Some attributed the shortfall to mental stress while others determined the range has no negative outcome vs. on the course. I'm probably the last guy to figure this out, but I believe the range does not replicate playing on the course, mostly for irons, because the range surface is flat...Lies on the course are not. There's always some up/down/side angle. Transitioning from mats to the course is even tougher.

If anything, ranges should be undulated, or have an undulated area, which replicates the realities of actual course requirements.

None

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1402509939' post='9474585']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who's swing doesn't suddenly leave town? Sometimes all it takes is a [i]shank [/i]that almost takes your buddies head off, a "10" on a par 3, a sprinkler-trench chunk from 30 yards into the water 2 feet away, etc., and then the mind starts to make what seems like minor "in-process" swing changes that in end up messing up some other aspect of the swing.

Off topic, but I went through 100's of YouTube videos to find out why it's hard to transfer iron shots from the range to the course. Some attributed the shortfall to mental stress while others determined the range has no negative outcome vs. on the course. I'm probably the last guy to figure this out, but I believe the range does not replicate playing on the course, mostly for irons, because the range surface is flat...Lies on the course are not. There's always some up/down/side angle. Transitioning from mats to the course is even tougher.

If anything, ranges should be undulated, or have an undulated area, which replicates the realities of actual course requirements.
[/quote]

Can't believe I am going to say this. Dunno, I agree completely with you.

On another note the G25s and me didn't get along for too long. I am now playing the Cally 2013 Xforged which is more a players club and playing much better.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood 16* - LinQ Purple 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18/19* Hybrid  HZRDUS Smoke Gray 

Mizuno Pro 243 with modus 120S

Mizuno T24 50 and 56 S400
Bettinardi Queen B

I'm predominately a blade player, but I have played the G25's on demo basis, and I have no aversion to CBs, even ugly fat ones. Generally they all perform quite well, but the mantra of "easier to hit" is untrue if I slack on technique. For me, the setup (alignment) with the G25's is not immediately resolved like my blades. Don't know why, could be the brownish color of the club, offset, etc, but I find it harder to align the face to the target line than my FG-51's and Apex's. In contrast, the G25's make me think I'm Tiger Woods at impact, even with BS swings, and the ball flies farther even if hit 1/2 inch towards the toe. [color=#ff0000][b]But somehow the cumulative result after a round is "no gain". The misses are just different.[/b][/color]

[/quote]

Nice write up Donno,

I highlighted what you posted and found the same thing for me misses are different but scores very similar.

[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1400856288' post='9353823']
[quote name='drg613' timestamp='1400812671' post='9351475']
[/quote]

I've had mine almost a year now, playing throught the winter, and the insert is holding up fine. I consider this to be a major improvement over the badge that was on my G10's which would periodically fall out and get lost, or the inserts on my I-wedges that also would fall out and get lost. In those cases, you have to send the club to ping, wait three weeks, and pay one way postage.
[/quote]

+1. I've had mine for just over a year. I figure I have 200+ rounds into them between here and Florida over the winter. No issues at all with the rubber insert. My G15s did lose one of the badges... so they seem sturdier.

Still loving the clubs. Don't see any reasons to switch.

Been using G15 irons for about 4 years. Finally decided to go get properly fit. I had been watching this thread and reading all the comments. Going into the fitting, I was leaning towards the G25's but kept reminding myself to keep an open mind.

Tried Ping G25, Titleist AP1, Mizuno JPX 825, Callaway Apex and X2 Hot irons. Surprisingly, the Callaway Apex and X2 Hot gave me best results followed by G25. Really struggled with the AP1 and JPX825.

Had I not gone to get fit, I would be bagging the G25 irons. Great irons but the Cally's gave me better results for my swing.

[quote name='JBuer' timestamp='1402511429' post='9474753']
[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1402509939' post='9474585']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Can't believe I am going to say this. Dunno, I agree completely with you.

On another note the G25s and me didn't get along for too long. I am now playing the Cally 2013 Xforged which is more a players club and playing much better.
[/quote]

Thanks for the agreement...I know, I can be a pain in the a** at times, but I've hit a LOT of clubs over the past couple months, experimenting with all types of irons as time allows, as well as stores allow. Fairly eye-opening for me. Most clubs are simply really good clubs. No junk. In one demo, I hit with my eyes closed, with a guy handing me clubs. Weird, but players CBs fett close to blades, and sometimes close to SGIs. Blades were more obvious, but not crazy different. Shafts matter, but not that much, sometimes a regular shaft felt better with eyes closed. What mattered was attitude towards the club. I hit a Wilson Ci11 with a blindfold...hmmm, feels nice. Take the blindfold off..."oh, maybe it wasn't that good...where's my Mizuno?". Know what I mean? Kinda like online dating, girl is great till you see her...whoa!

As for not liking your G25's, I poo-pooed them some time back, but after spending some time with them they grew on me for ease of hitting, and sense of "great shot" even when nothing really great happened. Being a blade-preferred player, the G25's offset, as well as other clubs of this type, just don't quite work for me....I don't know why exactly, but hooks and draws were more prevalent [i]without trying[/i]. The blades tend to go straight or slightly fade. Thinned shots flew farther, maybe, than the blades, but not enough to result in an improved, "next shot" requirement. Just longer off line.

As for you not liking the G25s, it's probably not the clubs but more a feeling of possibly giving up the sense of accomplishment that your Cally's might offer, as well as the preference for trim looks which to me are paramount for proper alignment. Yes, I can line up the SGIs, but I end up not trusting the alignment and try to steer the ball.

For me, when I played SGI's in my demo process, I couldn't help but wonder how my blades would perform in similar "[i]tough shot[/i]" situations. For example, I was behind some trees about 130 out, with about a 15 yard vertical window to the first branch of the tree ahead, which was about 15 yards away. I would normally pull (trust) my blade 7 iron to trap a low shot. But since I had the G25s, I pulled the 5 iron due to higher flight. I took the same setup as with the blade as countless times before, and of course, the ball took off high and caught not only the first branch, but about 5 feet above the first branch...then the a-h*le ball decided to park itself next to the tree. No shot. All I could think was "darn, if I only had my blade, I could have [i]probably [/i]kept the ball down. Now someone might say I should have pulled the G25 3 iron, but it's so friggin' long that the control factor comes into play.

Look, I think we all, especially us club-ho's, tend to think of irons in terms of results on the practice range. Flat ground, no pressure, bump the ball to a nice lie, etc. But on the course, lies are often uneven at best, and don't exactly "sit up". We've all been there....a little extra tuft of grass just in front of the ball or behind, hardpan, downhill in rough growing with the club path, a side-hill lie with grass growing against the club path, etc. In the heavier rough, give me the G25. On hardpan, give me a blade. Side and downhill lies, give me a bible because sometimes all bets are off. I started to categorize the probability of certain types of shots I will encounter, and adjust to the rest, knowing at times a particular iron is not suited for certain shots...ever. Help me out here, am I crazy?

None

Like I said in a different thread...[color=#282828]I played the MP59's all last year. Went with the Ping G25's this year (both fitted). Because our fairways produce very tight lies, I decided to try the best of both worlds. Right now I have the G25's 3-6 irons and the MP59's 7-PW and the Ping Tour Gorge 50, 54, 58 in the bag. It's a very effective set up for me. [/color]

[quote name='kchuckb' timestamp='1402606733' post='9482691']
When do you guys think the G25 irons will go on sale? They usually have $100 off before the next G's are released.
[/quote]

I just bought G25's for $525 (5i-PW) at the PGA Tour Superstore. That's not a close-out but it's a sale vs. the original price, right?

[quote name='jwrogers' timestamp='1402609645' post='9483019']
When do you guys think the G25 irons will go on sale? They usually have $100 off before the next G's are released.
[/quote]

I just bought G25's for $525 (5i-PW) at the PGA Tour Superstore. That's not a close-out but it's a sale vs. the original price, right?
[/quote]

8 Piece set retailed for $699. That's $87 per club. You ordered 6 irons at $525 which also comes out to $87 per club. Sorry, doesn't look like you got them on sale.

[quote name='nineteenthhole' timestamp='1402611181' post='9483147']
[quote name='jwrogers' timestamp='1402609645' post='9483019']
[/quote]

[/quote]

8 Piece set retailed for $699. That's $87 per club. You ordered 6 irons at $525 which also comes out to $87 per club. Sorry, doesn't look like you got them on sale.
[/quote]

Oh well. I'm happy with them so it's all good. I made a mistake in an iron change earlier this year and fixing it now was a priority.

[quote name='mswmn' timestamp='1402569502' post='9478855']
Like I said in a different thread...[color=#282828]I played the MP59's all last year. Went with the Ping G25's this year (both fitted). Because our fairways produce very tight lies, I decided to try the best of both worlds. Right now I have the G25's 3-6 irons and the MP59's 7-PW and the Ping Tour Gorge 50, 54, 58 in the bag. It's a very effective set up for me. [/color]
[/quote]

I've thought of blending too. Guys are basically blending with hybrids anyway. You're probably playing to the statistics that the 7-PW are the "money" and "feel" shots, and the G25s increase the probability of reasonable shots on longer par 3's, or fairly infrequent long-iron approach shots on par 4s. MP-59's may as well be termed a "helpful blade" IMO. I've hit the 59's...great irons (can hardly keep track of all the MP's anymore). I have 57's. However, not sure why the MP 4 thru 6 causes apprehension because, like all Mizuno's, they are so sweet to hit. Heck, you got the Hatfield's and McCoy's in one bag! Surprised they don't kill each other off.

None

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1402617870' post='9483801']
[quote name='mswmn' timestamp='1402569502' post='9478855']
[/quote]

I've thought of blending too. Guys are basically blending with hybrids anyway. You're probably playing to the statistics that the 7-PW are the "money" and "feel" shots, and the G25s increase the probability of reasonable shots on longer par 3's, or fairly infrequent long-iron approach shots on par 4s. MP-59's may as well be termed a "helpful blade" IMO. I've hit the 59's...great irons (can hardly keep track of all the MP's anymore). I have 57's. However, not sure why the MP 4 thru 6 causes apprehension because, like all Mizuno's, they are so sweet to hit. Heck, you got the Hatfield's and McCoy's in one bag! Surprised they don't kill each other off.
[/quote]

[color=#282828]Ha...Hatfield's and McCoy's...that's pretty good. Well I just peaked in my bag and they're still getting along just fine. You're right, I consider the 7-PW my "scoring clubs" and on the tight lies I was too inconsistent with the G25's. As far as apprehension with the MP59 3-6 iron, I'm just hitting the G25 3-6 irons so well there's no reason to kick them out of the bag...for now.[/color]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1404518920' post='9639239']
It's about time...G30 Iron Review (low handicapper). Lets go!
[/quote]
Good idea. I think I will pre-order myself a set. Although initial impressions are the G25 is more aesthetically pleasing design...Maybe once I hit them they will change my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

After a few months hoing around with some J38 DPC's I'm back with the G25's. Love both sets. The turf interaction and forgiveness of the G's is nothing short of amazing. Watching the G30 reviews but have no desire to make the switch. After thinking about it some I like what Ping did with the Karsten/G30 lofts: widening the set loft range over fewer clubs. Just don't see that helping me very much. At any rate, gotta show the G's a little love since they have been so good to me.:D

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Just curious how people can pre-order a set of clubs, for example G30 like posted above, without having shot them even once....

I'm still happy with my fairly new G25, but it took me several trials before I decided to go with these clubs...

Ping G425 Max - 10.5* - Tensei Orange 65 Stiff

Ping G30 3w - 14.5* - Ping Tour 80 Reg

Ping G25 Hybrid - 23* - TFC 189 Reg

Ping i525 5 - UW - AWT 2.0 Stiff

Vokey SM9 54.10 S - TT AMT Black S300

Ping Glide 58* SS - CFS Wedge

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Vice Tour