G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

Just got mine delivered Monday, 5-UW Black, CFS S.
Some background:
North Eastern player, so mostly soft to even fairways and moderate rough. I play to a 7 in summer months with Ball Striking a good part of my game. Last season finished with 12.3 GIR but 34.8 Putts. Score Av on 4's were 4.4.
Played AP2's for the last 2.5 years. I also carry a 3i 4i in Fli-Hi.
83 mph 6i with a constant tempo

Went to the range today, 41F with a 20mph wind direct in the face. Matts only but they are the good 'Divot' type at my range.

With that said. First impressions:
I could flight these most ways I wanted. If i played the ball in the front of the stance they did shoot right up in the wind, but a little back in the stance and a 3/4 swing and I was able to move it out there under the wind quite well. Was able to punch 6i quite consistently to the 155 flag. Also able to keep the UW down quite nicely to the 95 flag and just hung there online.

I'm not looking to move the ball much and straight into the wind these were just lasers focused. I went down and back up the bag 4 times at the end and they must have landed 5 yards either side of the target line I had. Swing is rusty this time of year and most of those were not dead center, one was a cold sh**k that canonballed right but was as playable as I'd seen from that type of shot. Really impressed with the ready aim fire aspect of them

I have a steep angle of attack and I was worried about the bounce, I hit quite a few from the hard stance mat instead of the divot box and was really impressed with the feel. Didn't seem to me that there was any of the jumpiness I'd thought there might be. The trailing edge relief does seem to be the real deal.

I am somewhat meticulous about the swingweights, and I love C9 in my Driver, and 4W (oddball) but always was D3 in irons. So the D0 I was interested in feeling. Well these felt very swingable to me (Im a swinger not a hitter). Never had a moment even in the stiff breeze pushing me over, that I couldn't feel my rotation through the shot. The CFS weren't harsh or soft. Almost felt like there was a grip and a club head but thats it. Interested to do it again warmer but I'm pleasantly surprised with the balance of the stock combination.

As for the look. There is a big physiological hurdle if you're fussy about that, but i was prepared after reading here to suspend my opinion. I went in ignoring any thoughts of 'Left' and just went with whatever shot shape turned out. They were pretty much baby draw as I like to see and so by the end of 250 or so balls I was ok with it. I got no problems with the looks.

All in all, for a guy who went from 690 CBs to 712s to 'Shovels' I am really quite impressed. Can't wait for the regular season to start and next months first tourney to begin.

[quote name='Schweitzer' timestamp='1397750209' post='9112035']
[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1397697414' post='9108153']
Slightly different subject, but kind of in-line with height of shots....I watched a series of videos on YouTube regarding shaft comparisons. For example, Golf Guru Mark Crossfield hit a ladies graphite shaft vs. an X100 with the same club head. The differences, from a trackman data standpoint, were marginal for results related to spin rate, ball speed, height, etc. Another guy did a similar video (they all seem to be out of the UK..lol). While they thought shaft is important to be comfortable, the results, at least with their swings, were not significantly different enough to make shaft type a huge priority if a shaft reasonably makes sense for your swing speed. Anyone else seen these videos?
[/quote]

Was that series of videos only comparing iron shafts? I've never been on a trackman to compare iron shafts, but that would go against all of the major logic that club fitters want you to believe these days.

I think we all have that one friend or playing partner who seems to hit the ball well no matter what flex shaft/brand of club he is playing and that would help to explain why. One of my best friends manages to shoot close to par no matter what equipment you give him. When we were in college his driver broke so he grabbed his younger brothers and headed to the course. The only issue is that his brother was about 12 at the time and had a junior driver that was cut down for his height and had an extremely flexible shaft. I thought there was no way my buddy was going to be able to swing his younger brother's driver until he drove the green on the par 4 first hole...
[/quote]

Here's the link to the shaft comparison video by Crossfield. I have to admit I would not have expected the outcome...I've always thought the variation would be much greater.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MLDfgiJuFI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MLDfgiJuFI[/url]

None

Curse every one of you that posted in here as I had some time to kill this afternoon and I placed an order for a set of 4-GW. I put everything up against the G25's and this club just flat out performed. I was amazed at the feedback I got from the club and the numbers it was producing on the trackman. Now I just need to wait a couple weeks for my custom order. I need to stay away from WRX for a while as the Bio Cell guys "made me" upgrade also. ;)[size=4] [/size]

Ping G400 AD-DI
Ping G425 3 Wood

Adams XTD 3 Hybrid
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Scratch 53 & 58
Studio Select Kombi

Man, you cannot believe me how this thread is killing me... !

I'm playing S56 but I would rather have these G25 who are simply too awesome! The thing is I don't have any money right now (can't work because I'm on a school exchange trip).

I would trade up my S56 in a heartbeat for the G25.

Nice thread and comments guysé

Ping G400 - 10,5° - Tour 65 Stiff

Cobra BioCell - 15° - Diamana D+ 75 Stiff

Ping G400 - 19° - Tour 85 Stiff

Ping G25 - 4-PW - CFS Stiff

Ping Glide OG (50° - 54° - 58°)

Ping Anser Milled

After 2 rounds I'm questioning my G25 decision. I think it's a shaft issue, but either way, I can't hit a green outside of 115 yards to save my life. I really think that in 2 rounds I've hit less than 7-8 greens, which shouldn't happen when you have 7 iron or less in your hands in the fairway on most holes. The only shots that have worked for me are 3/4 wedge shots with the PW and UW, and even my distances on those are iffy. I've alternated between airmailing greens and leaving them 5 or so yards short.

I've got the i15's back in the bag for the next round and we'll see what happens. I really want to like the G25's but I can't take missing so many greens.

[quote name='Schweitzer' timestamp='1398083583' post='9135337']
After 2 rounds I'm questioning my G25 decision. I think it's a shaft issue, but either way, I can't hit a green outside of 115 yards to save my life. I really think that in 2 rounds I've hit less than 7-8 greens, which shouldn't happen when you have 7 iron or less in your hands in the fairway on most holes. The only shots that have worked for me are 3/4 wedge shots with the PW and UW, and even my distances on those are iffy. I've alternated between airmailing greens and leaving them 5 or so yards short.

I've got the i15's back in the bag for the next round and we'll see what happens. I really want to like the G25's but I can't take missing so many greens.
[/quote]
Maybe you would do better with Captaine's S56's he want's to trade for G25's!

I actually have come back on this thread to eat a little crow. I tried a G25 7 iron demo on the course a couple of weeks ago and came back on this thread and said it was no better than my Adams A4 irons for my swing/game. I have never been a particularly good iron player but pretty decent with the driver, wedges and putter. I have tried to play “players” irons for the last few years and just not consistent enough to warrant playing “players” irons…yet that is all I have owned. On a whim I bought some G25s off ebay that only had a few rounds on them last week. This weekend I shot 79 and 80 (missed 5 foot putt on 18 for another 79) this weekend. Hit a lot of good iron shots and I think the larger size of the head and forgiveness let me swing more freely…almost like I swing my hybrids….instead of trying to hit my players irons “just right” every time. Anyways, the results have been encouraging after first two rounds. Playing 36 on Saturday so hopefully will have a better feel after more rounds under my belt.

G25 irons 4-PW + UW + SW.
I have just bought a Eye 2 XG lob wedge, since the G25 is only 58*
I have only strayed away from Ping with my :

913 D2 Driver
RF Extreme 4 wood
Two ball putter

I bought these last year with CFS XS black colorcode + 1/4 inch length.
I can really recommend the CFS shaft it is very nice feel and not too high flying :-)

I had to get used to them but I am really liking them now and went from 9,1 to 7,6 last season - I expect to move further down this year.
These sticks just works - you are just confident that you will hit a good shot every time.
I came from Callaway X12 pro series so they are not longer than these - but the shaft is much nicer than the S-300 shafts i had in the old clubs.
The also offer more help then the old clubs.

I am a high ball hitter - but they do not ballon on me, the go nicely thru the wind.

I am a new born Ping believer.
Now I just need to decide if i should go for a G25 3 iron or a driving iron.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2, PX 6.0 73 g
4 wood : Callaway Raxr fit extreme Stiff
Irons : Ping G 25 4-9, CFS XS
Wedges G25 pw+uw+sw , CFS XS + Ping Eye2 Xg lw, CFS XS.
Putter : Odessey 2 ball

[quote name='killerswing' timestamp='1398162558' post='9142207']

913 D2 Driver
RF Extreme 4 wood
Two ball putter

I can really recommend the CFS shaft it is very nice feel and not too high flying :-)

I had to get used to them but I am really liking them now and went from 9,1 to 7,6 last season - I expect to move further down this year.
These sticks just works - you are just confident that you will hit a good shot every time.
I came from Callaway X12 pro series so they are not longer than these - but the shaft is much nicer than the S-300 shafts i had in the old clubs.

I am a high ball hitter - but they do not ballon on me, the go nicely thru the wind.

[/quote]

How are you getting along with the sand wedge? I have not heard from any single digits how the g25 wedges perform vs. a more traditional wedge. I was looking at possibly getting a few of the wedges myself.

PING G410 Max 10.5º w/ Ping Tour 65 X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

PING i25 18º w/ PWR 75 S

Callaway Apex 19 Pro Combo 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Ping Glide 4.0 52ºS, 56ºS, 60ºT w/ Z-Z115

Scotty Cameron Futura X7M Dual Balance

[quote name='andersi' timestamp='1398171339' post='9142645']

913 D2 Driver
RF Extreme 4 wood
Two ball putter

[/quote]

How are you getting along with the sand wedge? I have not heard from any single digits how the g25 wedges perform vs. a more traditional wedge. I was looking at possibly getting a few of the wedges myself.
[/quote]

I think it works great, but i never liked the more bladed wedge styles, this wedge gives you a lot of confidence and a lot of room for error.
but it is really is a queation of feel and looks.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2, PX 6.0 73 g
4 wood : Callaway Raxr fit extreme Stiff
Irons : Ping G 25 4-9, CFS XS
Wedges G25 pw+uw+sw , CFS XS + Ping Eye2 Xg lw, CFS XS.
Putter : Odessey 2 ball

[/quote]

It could very well be a shaft issue. (in my humble opinion) The stock shafts offered work for a wide range of golfers
but not everyone. I tried a few "upcharge" shafts and loved the G25's. However, I chose to stay married so I didn't
spring for the extra $35. a club for another shaft. If you can find the right shaft for you, the G25's are great clubs.

[quote name='bstring' timestamp='1398184389' post='9144327']

[/quote]

It could very well be a shaft issue. (in my humble opinion) The stock shafts offered work for a wide range of golfers
but not everyone. I tried a few "upcharge" shafts and loved the G25's. However, I chose to stay married so I didn't
spring for the extra $35. a club for another shaft. If you can find the right shaft for you, the G25's are great clubs.
[/quote]
I think this may well be the right answer. I bought my g25's with the stock regs because I have used regular steel shafts in all my irons for years now. I had the same trouble as the OP. 7 iron to pw the approach shots were all over the place. The dispersion was very average; left and right. I should have listened to people in this thread that stated that the cfs play soft to flex. I changed them to the cfs stiff and they were much better.

[quote name='bstring' timestamp='1398184389' post='9144327']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is there any possibility the progressive offset is throwing off alignment or impact angle? Is the swing weight lighter than your last set? Is the length of the club longer than the other set? Is the lie angle more upright of flat?

Just throwing out ideas because I have to believe the sets were fitted with a bunch of shots to show the shafts/clubs worked best. When I initially hit the G25's vs. my blades it seemed the lighter head and offset did throw off direction, but it didn't take long to adjust to the differences, and they were definitely easier to hit.

None

Regarding the quotes above, I actually have C-Taper stiff shafts soft stepped once in my G25's. I wasn't fitted to those shafts exactly, just did an online fitting on the KBS website which recommended them to me. Based on the things that I read on the internet, that was going to be the correct flex for my swing, but I'm beginning to think that my aggressive transition and early release may not work great with those shafts. I never tried the stock shafts so I can't compare to that, and the only shafts I've played in my previous sets of irons were s300's.

Both my i15's and G25's play off of a 38.5" 5i and are white dot, so no difference between the two as far as that goes. The G25's were sent from the factory with a swingweight of D4, but I honestly have no clue what the swingweight on the i15's would be. The G25's definitely feel a bit head heavier if you just grab a club from each, but that's not a very scientific test I know. The offset could have something to do with the struggles, I'm not exactly sure, but it's not something I have an issue with at address though.

To be completely honest, it may just be an issue of having to get comfortable with a new set of clubs, something I haven't had to do in the past 2-3 years since I've had the same irons in the bag. I took for granted how comfortable I was with those irons and the (consistent) distances that they produced. They were an expensive little experiment and I doubt that I will look to get rid of them just yet, but the honeymoon experience with them isn't like what I had hoped. Then again, I'm a much better driver/woods player than an iron/wedge player anyway so I guess that's to be expected.

It took me several rounds to get comfortable with the G25's. I took the advice in this thread to "give it more time". Glad I did, they aren't going anywhere, anytime soon....

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

This may sound over-the-top, but once you [i]know [/i]you're "stuck" with a certain set ([i]i[i].e[/i]. no money, or any way to trade or buy another set[/i]), only then will positive adjustments occur.

The fun side of the brain gets all excited about a new set, then get on the course the negative, mean side starts to take over...now it "means something". We start to "hear" internal comments like..."these are easier to hit...you should play MUCH better now...hope you're not wrong!". "Oh, you missed that shot"..."boy you must suck if you can't hit these clubs"..."told you...you shouldn't have blamed the other set". Basically your negative side takes over and kills the new clubs. Remember, in the store or at a demo day, you're likely "free" swinging without negative thoughts...heck, you're having fun trying new clubs that may not work anyway, so what's the concern? At that time the drill instructor portion of your brain is silent, but once on the course the drill instructor takes over. Your G25's are likely as good as the day you demo'd them, and probably better than your current set. Just swing away and have fun, and if missing too many greens, maybe aim to miss so you hit them?

None

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1398301268' post='9156393']
[b]This may sound over-the-top, but once you [i]know [/i]you're "stuck" with a certain set ([i]i[i].e[/i]. no money, or any way to trade or buy another set[/i]), only then will positive adjustments occur.[/b]

The fun side of the brain gets all excited about a new set, then get on the course the negative, mean side starts to take over...now it "means something". We start to "hear" internal comments like..."these are easier to hit...you should play MUCH better now...hope you're not wrong!". "Oh, you missed that shot"..."boy you must suck if you can't hit these clubs"..."told you...you shouldn't have blamed the other set". Basically your negative side takes over and kills the new clubs. Remember, in the store or at a demo day, you're likely "free" swinging without negative thoughts...heck, you're having fun trying new clubs that may not work anyway, so what's the concern? At that time the drill instructor portion of your brain is silent, but once on the course the drill instructor takes over. Your G25's are likely as good as the day you demo'd them, and probably better than your current set. Just swing away and have fun, and if missing too many greens, maybe aim to miss so you hit them?
[/quote]

Well, it looks like this occurred last night... someone gave me an offer on my i15's that I couldn't turn down, so the only set of irons that I own are the G25's. Here's to hoping for low numbers today and tomorrow!

[quote name='Schweitzer' timestamp='1398431280' post='9167759']
[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1398301268' post='9156393']
[b]This may sound over-the-top, but once you [i]know [/i]you're "stuck" with a certain set ([i]i[i].e[/i]. no money, or any way to trade or buy another set[/i]), only then will positive adjustments occur.[/b]

[/quote]

Well, it looks like this occurred last night... someone gave me an offer on my i15's that I couldn't turn down, so the only set of irons that I own are the G25's. Here's to hoping for low numbers today and tomorrow!
[/quote]

Hah...you have 25's and 15's...things could be worse...Lol. I suggest not "comparing" the G25's to the 15's, just play. No "one set" of clubs is going to be the end-all. However, if you're like me and others, having only one set seems so boring sometimes. How about getting the i25's now and switch back/forth?

None

3 rounds in and I really like the long irons,but not that comfortable with the short ones. Some of the low punches and longer
chips I seem to find the "sweet spot" when not really looking for it!! Spring might get here sometime but on course adjustments
vs range time MIGHT be a factor. The head size inspires confidence but so far that comes at the expence of feel. Some getting acquainted
time is needed. The honeymoon period is still in effect so no real issues!

Ping G 10.5* (Set to 11*)
Callaway RAZR 5 wood
Ping G 25 3 Hybrid
Ping G 25, 4 thru PW
Ping Glide SS 50* - 56* - 60*
Ping Zing 2, SuperStroke MidSlim

I played about 5 rounds with mine last season (red, cfs stiff, cushin) and really liked them. I played my first round yesterday and realized, I love them. These irons are easy to hit, and are pretty much point and shoot. I picked up the UW over the winter (got serial # matched to my set), and that thing is so much easier to hit than my Cleveland 50*. I hit 2 shots inside 10 feet with it on 9 holes yesterday.

This thread covinced me to order these 7 months ago, so glad it is still influencing others. This is a great set of irons.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I got a set of G25's 3 weeks ago. Have played 6 rounds with them. Have had my first hole out on a full swing shot ever (with a 7 iron from 160) and just shot my best 9 holes ever tonight. This was the first set I have owned where I had a full blown fitting. I think that is clearly helping, but the G25's are really good on the decent shots. My decent shots are turning out way better than with any set of clubs I have owned previously. The ball holds its line so much better so that a mishit curves a lot less. Really fun to play with!

Happy birthday this thread. Actually 5 days ago but close enough.
This thread has been on the front page or close to it for 12 months now! Quite an achievement.
Well done to all who have contributed and of course to Instant Offence who probably had no idea of the juggernaut he was creating.
This thread has probably measurably increased the sales of G25 irons for Ping.
Going on the new threads I wonder if the Karstens are next?

I have previously posted my liking for the G25s on here but there is one further thing I would add as food for thought. Over the years with Ping I have played with either black dot or red dot, my fitting gave a red dot recommendation which is a slightly flatter lie than the standard black dot lie. Last year I used a set of I20s with red dot and Nippon 950 shafts, the fitting was fine for me. With the G25s I found myself losing shots to the right with both black and red fittings. I am currently gaming a set of yellow dots (1.5 degree upright) and all seems to be fine. With the G25S I have been using stiff CFS throughout, I can't offer a logical explanation for this but if anyone has any comment I'd be interested....

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 deg x-torsion shaft
Callaway XR16 4wood
Callaway Big Bertha (2014) 7 wood
Irons: Srixon Z545 4-PW Nippon 950GH shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 48, 52, 56
Putter: Scotty GOLO 5R

[quote name='andersi' timestamp='1398171339' post='9142645']

913 D2 Driver
RF Extreme 4 wood
Two ball putter

[/quote]

[/quote]

I had the G25 U and L wedge, worked ok but i changed to SM5s with 52 and 58 loft. On tight lies the very rounded leading edge of the G25 wedges kinda gave me the feeling, i couldnt really get under the ball which of course isnt the case but it was still in my had.
Also they don't really spin a lot and you get loads of flyers out of the first cut especially with the U wedge.
Im a +0,1 hcp (european)

Just thought I'd update everyone. I have KBS C Tapers in my G25's and had quite an issue adjusting to them for the first couple of rounds. After two tournaments this weekend, I'm extremely glad I stuck with them. I honestly don't think I missed but a few greens yesterday and actually ended up with 3 eagles this weekend (partially due to solid play off the tee as well.) I have no intent on moving them out of my bag for the moment.

Just thought I'd post an update to a post a made awhile back.

One area of concern I had when I was switched almost entirely to the G25 line by my fitter was that the Stage 2 Tour 2H that I was bagging was giving me good results.

It was in fact my one hold out as when I went to get fitted they did not have a 17* in stock. Since they didn't have the 17* I didn't convert that club.

Fast forward 2 months and I decided to pop in with my 2H to compare it with the G25. I was expecting to hit the G25 a bit shorter as the Stage 2 Tour had a longer shaft + .5* less loft (not that much difference but still). Boy was I wrong, I was absolutely blasting the G25 17* getting an additional 10 yards (after carry/roll) and found that it was way easier to launch so I was ending up with more carry and less roll which is nice to have if you're attacking a green.

I have had G25 since last October, playing off a 6 or 7 Hcp. I do not find them to be any easier or harder to hit than all of the other iron sets that I have had. Only note that they have worse turf interaction than the Bridgestone j40 CB's that i had immediately prior to buying the G25's. I think I am going to look for a set of J40's again. G25 not the answer for me, unfortunately.

PING G410 Max 10.5º w/ Ping Tour 65 X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

PING i25 18º w/ PWR 75 S

Callaway Apex 19 Pro Combo 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Ping Glide 4.0 52ºS, 56ºS, 60ºT w/ Z-Z115

Scotty Cameron Futura X7M Dual Balance