near death experiences

xal951

well a guy in our town had been missing and skipped court and was missing for a month. Well he parked his car at our club which promptd this so about a month into his disappeance the members start complaining of a smell comming from #4 woods. Well no one thought anything of it until one morning a groundskeeper is picking up trash and notices something on the tee box, goes over to get the "trash" and instead its a human skull. Call the police, about 50 police come, shut down the whole course because the guy hung himself in the woods and i guess an animal dragged it out on the tee box.. Pretty weird to think i walked by that spot a good 30 times.

That is really messed up, wow. I have had golf balls whizz past me, I have been in a cart and the ball landed right in front of us, hopped over the cart and landed behind us, I watched the guy hit it(I didn't see the ball coming) and he didn't even flinch or yell fore.

Rich

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about actual death experiences?

Playing on Thansgiving morning, 1997 with my father and my father-in-law - just went out to play 6 holes, and grab breakfast - just the guys. Get to the 4th hole, and get near the green - my father-in-law goes down - looks like he sprained his ankle pretty badly - as I start to walk over, I notice that he's in trouble - I get to him, roll him over, and he breathes out - his last breath. I start CPR, and my fahter (who had a pacemaker) runs to call an ambulance. He never moved - he must have been dead before he hit the grass.

Now every Thanksgiving, we go out with a 7-iron (which he had in his hand) and a putter - we FINISH 4 holes, have a few beers, and remember him. Played the first 4 in 2 over this year - 7 iron and putter only...

Two years ago, my father passed away on November 12th. We went out to play our little 4 hole thing, and as we stood on #2 tee, we looked up at the clubhouse in the distance - over the clubhouse were two, not one, two rainbows - kind of spooky.

How does one ever get over a parent dying? How did you?

Don't know if you ever do get over the death of a parent - I haven't yet - I still think of him every day - many times a day, and I still talk about him to my kids, so they don't forget him. I guess you just learn that you have to go on - life is pretty short - you need to be there for your family - and I'm sure therer is a lot of my father in me...

Sound advice.

I watched one of my good buddies on the golf team hit a bullet of a 5 wood, and I watched that same shot hit my dad right in the wallet. :) Good thing the wallet was there or his arse would've been nice and blue.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

some of these stories are great!

I am lucky too - I got hit in the back of the head from an angle i never thought was possible lucky no offence but it was a small chiness guy who didn't hit the ball so hard- it was is the soft spot in the back rite above my spine. Lucky me- I didn't even have a head ache. It was a weird feeling. Now i just look like this --heh :)

This was a story that happened to my uncle. He hit a 3 wood at a driving range up north, and he had his young neice there. Well he hits a low shot with his 3-wood, and it hits a pole, coming straight back, hitting her(his neice) right between the eyes. That is a very close call for both of them...

Now myself, i have had balls hit close to me, and the people didn't yell FORE.

My theory on this is- I have had my bag hit i have had one land inbetween my legs. IF you yell FORE QUATRO- or what ever ur native language is it id all cool. If you don't i am hitting it back at you and it will be hard and low. So pay respect and yell FORE or whatever and it is all cool.

well a guy in our town had been missing and skipped court and was missing for a month. Well he parked his car at our club which promptd this so about a month into his disappeance the members start complaining of a smell comming from #4 woods. Well no one thought anything of it until one morning a groundskeeper is picking up trash and notices something on the tee box, goes over to get the "trash" and instead its a human skull. Call the police, about 50 police come, shut down the whole course because the guy hung himself in the woods and i guess an animal dragged it out on the tee box.. Pretty weird to think i walked by that spot a good 30 times.

That is really messed up, wow. I have had golf balls whizz past me, I have been in a cart and the ball landed right in front of us, hopped over the cart and landed behind us, I watched the guy hit it(I didn't see the ball coming) and he didn't even flinch or yell fore.

Rich

I have the unfortunate job at my club of picking up the range balls, usually during group lessons. Imagine walking on a fairway with a bucket and ball scoop while having seven hackers hit balls in your general direction without calling. There are usually a couple of blokes who either harmlessly fat it or hosel rocket it. It's as if they think you can see every ball and think you'll move out of the way of it. :)

Not sure about near death, but this would've been severly life altering. I was nearly struck in the head by a driver thrown by an idiot in our foursome about 6-7yrs ago.

The guy chucked his driver, tried to throw it forward but the grip stuck in his hands and it came out right at my face, as hard as he could throw it. He pitched in high school and could throw in the low 90's. So needless to say, it was coming pretty hard. The head of the driver came so close to my face that I could feel the breeze it was creating by being hurled through the air.

The whole thing happened so fast ... I didn't even have time to react. I just got lucky and it didn't hit me. Or as I should say, he just got lucky and it didn't hit me, and he now does not owe me every cent that he earns for the rest of his life :)

I think twice now i've been walking down the right side of the eigth at Wentworth and had VJs ball land feet from me, the bloke just doesnt have Fore in his voculary and you can't see the tee from there,also stood next to a kids who got nailed in the knee from Ernie's tee shot on the 13th, I geuss he 'forgot' to turn it around the corner. Luckily Ernie shouts fore so we all had a chance to duck.

This is not near death, unless you count me wanting to kill my dad afterwards. I had recently signed a scholarship to kick college football. My dad, who plays maybe once a year, asked me to play one last round with him before leaving for college. We decided to play the Sunday before fall camp started on that Monday. As luck would have it, on the 18th hole my dad was hitting his second into a par 5. I was parallel and almost behind him standing beside the cart about 15 yards away. He somehow hits it sideways and takes me out at the knee. Yes, my kicking leg. Needless to say I didn't participate in the first week of camp. Dad, if you're reading this, thanks!

While waiting to tee off in our league, we heard someone in the group behind yell fore. The two holes run next to each other (out and back) and one of the guys had pushed his approach shot way right - at us! Myself and one of our threesome ducked and covered, the other guy just stood there looking confused, holding his large gatorade bottle. We heard the whizz from the ball and a POP and plunk. turns out the ball had come down, hit the gatorade bottle, glanced off his hand and rolled under his stand bag. No injuries, but damn lucky. Alas, our buddy moved the bag rather than making the offender hit out from under it :)

My brother was playing a Friday round on a sick day from work. Him and his buddy come up to the 18th tee box and there is a course employee and a deputy standing there and tell them this tee box is closed and they will have to use the ladies tee for today. They notice a white sheet being held down with the tee markers on the tee box. They asked what happened. A golfer had a heart attack on the tee box. He was dead when the EMT's arrived. They can't transport or move a dead body without the coroner clearing it. It is a very rural area in south Georgia and the coroner was in Atlanta at a convention so they had to wait for him to get back or wait until the one from the next county over could get out there. It took the coroner from the next county over 3 hours to get there so they let people play through on the ladies tee's.

Best line from the story, My brother turns to his buddy and say, if that happens to you, I'm taking all of your Pro V1's and finishing the 18th!

I have had the crap scared out of me with balls fly past my head. The worst i has was a a Junior tournament i was walking up the fairway and my grandfather was carrying my bag. Out o now where a ball comes(no fore) and whacks him in the nuts. He was down and out and wanted to kill that kid.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I was playing with a four and we stood on the 10th tee, Par 4.

2 ladies in a buggy had teed off but then called us to go through. They waited to the left of the ladies tee box while we teed off from the tips. They would have been 70yds down to our left, and on the cart path.

Anyways, my friend hits first, he's off 18........and hits driver.

One of the ladies was standing outside the cart and watching us tee off (as most would do), but the 2nd lady remained in the cart and wasn't looking back, just forward.

So my friend hits a dead low, right, laser bullet that never got more than 5ft off the ground and it went straight through the back of the ladies buggy missing everything and then cannoned into her right at the top of her spine. 5 inches higher and it would have hit her in the back of the skull and definitely killed her.

Needless to say, my friend was stunned and couldn't move.......we all rushed to see how she was and she was actually quite ok though i guarantee you she would have had a massive bruise the next day.

Have hit a couple of people with can what only be described as hosel rockets, nothing too powerful. Which is lucky, as one guy did get it in the head :rolleyes: Have been hit square between the shoulders right on the spine with a bladed wedge. We were on the practice fair way and my friend decides to hit a full wedge OVER me, without letting me know. Things obviously didn't go to plan, and I knew all about it pretty quickly. Put it this way, back then I was a bit of a fatty, I weighed ~14 stone(14lb's in a stone...), and it dropped me to the ground. I didn't say a word, just fell over flat on my face. Once my friend realised I was ok he seemed more worried that I was going to kick the living sh*t out of him lol! But yeah, few inches higher and I was a deadman for sure.

This is not a near death story but it surely scared the crap out of all of us who were present the day it happened. My girlfriend had been buggin me to take her to the golf course and she wanted to play with my usually pals. Well she plays on again, off again and she has a pretty decent game. We all hit our approach shots to the 12th green and my brother hits his ball in the bunker guarding the front of the green. The rest of us all hit our approaches on the green and were standing off to the side to allow him to have a clear shot without being distracted. He takes a hard swing at the sand and the ball doesn't move! Well my girlfriend begins to walk to her ball (on the green, directly in front of the bunker where my brother was in). As soon as my brother realized he missed it, he almost instantly takes another swing. He hits a straight laser beam and the last thing I really remember was hearing a totally sick crunching noise. :rolleyes: I look over and my girlfriend is laying face down on the green and there is a big pool of blood starting to form. Scared as $#!@ we all run over to her and gently roll her over. The ball struck her in the corner of her mouth and knocked out 3 teeth in her upper left jaw. The impact not only knocked 3 teeth out, it also caused a HUGE gash on the inside of her mouth and it would not stop bleeding. Needless to say, our round was done as me loaded her in a cart and drove directly to our cars. We left everything in our carts and loaded in the tahoe and straight bolted to the hospital. They were able to stop the bleeding and she recovered from the trauma pretty good but she still has a hard lump in that side of her mouth where the cut was. The teeth that got knocked out were the back 3 teeth on the left side of her jaw so it's not noticeable when she smiles but she still has self esteem issues. She had a pretty wicked looking bruise on her face for a while but she's made peace with my brother and even continues to play golf with us during her off season from softball. Talk about a trooper :cheesy:

TSi3 9.0 Oban Devotion
Titleist TSi2 3 wood - Purple Ice
Titleist TS2 19 hybrid

Titleist TS2 23 hybrid
Titleist AP3 irons 5-PW
Titleist SM8 Wedges 50, 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M
Titleist ProV1x #11

This one is by no means "near death" but quite funny to witness. My buddies and I putted out on the 14th green on a very busy day last summer. When we walked over to the 15th tee, the group in front had just hit tee shots. It was a pair of "dates". evedently 2 guys had gotten the idea of taking there girlfriends to play golf. The girls had obviously never played before. The 2 guys were picking on the girls for not clearing the pond with a dozen balls and the girls were walking toward there cart when one decided to turn and walk backward as she was firing verbal shots back at her boyfriend. As she turned back around to face the cart she smacked face first into the cart and knocked herself out COLD. She was fine in the end but had a very embarrasing experience as well as a HUGE knot above her right temple.

Years ago. A fellow greenskeeper and myself standing on an elevated green remarking how silly we looked with our hair standing straight out. It took a second to realize what was going on before we took off, and the lightning didn't strike right away. When it did, we were probably 200 yards away. We just looked at eachother like "that was our's".

Taylormade OG Stealth 10.5º (Ventus Red R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5 or Odyssey WHP #7

Royal M Taper 360's

I had a close call on the driving range. The pro was having a group lesson and I was watching a little bit. They were on the chipping green and needless to say a lady got up to show him what she learned (bump and run) and she took like a full swing and bladed it rite for me. I had enough time to just look up and realize I was taking this one to the chest. 3 cracked ribs later and 2 weeks of nothing was a great thing.

This is not a near death story but it surely scared the crap out of all of us who were present the day it happened. My girlfriend had been buggin me to take her to the golf course and she wanted to play with my usually pals. Well she plays on again, off again and she has a pretty decent game. We all hit our approach shots to the 12th green and my brother hits his ball in the bunker guarding the front of the green. The rest of us all hit our approaches on the green and were standing off to the side to allow him to have a clear shot without being distracted. He takes a hard swing at the sand and the ball doesn't move! Well my girlfriend begins to walk to her ball (on the green, directly in front of the bunker where my brother was in). As soon as my brother realized he missed it, he almost instantly takes another swing. He hits a straight laser beam and the last thing I really remember was hearing a totally sick crunching noise. :rolleyes: I look over and my girlfriend is laying face down on the green and there is a big pool of blood starting to form. Scared as $#!@ we all run over to her and gently roll her over. The ball struck her in the corner of her mouth and knocked out 3 teeth in her upper left jaw. The impact not only knocked 3 teeth out, it also caused a HUGE gash on the inside of her mouth and it would not stop bleeding. Needless to say, our round was done as me loaded her in a cart and drove directly to our cars. We left everything in our carts and loaded in the tahoe and straight bolted to the hospital. They were able to stop the bleeding and she recovered from the trauma pretty good but she still has a hard lump in that side of her mouth where the cut was. The teeth that got knocked out were the back 3 teeth on the left side of her jaw so it's not noticeable when she smiles but she still has self esteem issues. She had a pretty wicked looking bruise on her face for a while but she's made peace with my brother and even continues to play golf with us during her off season from softball. Talk about a trooper :cheesy:

Shes a keeper

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

Went over a hill on a fairway, looking for my buddies drive took longer than expected. We had a cushion of about three strokes from the group behind. Looking for the ball ate that cushion up. We couldn't be seen and the group behind hit. By buddy and me just got into the cart and a ball split us and hit the windscreen on the cart cracking it to heck and back. The worst thing for the golfers behind, the ball got lightly wedged between the body work of the cart and the intact bottom part of the windscreen. Play it as it lies boys! hehe

BTW, it was a no fault situation as far as we were concerned. They had all rights to expect that we were on the green or perhaps finished the hole by that time. Yes, I guess if you wanted to be a stickler, you'd have to get in the cart or walk up the 200 yards to crest the hill and see what was up and they didn't. If anything, the course should be to blame for not putting some form of a warning system on that hole.

I played with a guy who got hit flush on the head from about 220 yards away - you couldn't go down that quick if you tried but he was OK after it was stiched up.

There is a book in the UK called the Golfers Handbook which has a fatalities section. My old course had a train line running thru it and during the 1950's (before toughened glass) a guy was listed as being killed sitting on the train reading a newspaper when a hook off the 3rd hole smashed the train window and hit him on the head. There are many deaths listed either from shafts breaking and spearing you or being struck by a ball thinned out of a bunker.

There is also a course I know close to a private airfield where they get about two crash landings a year. One guy was quoted as saying that the fact he had driven into a bunker probably saved his life as it gave him somewhere to duck down into when a plane came down without warning

As they say in Hill Street Blues - Guys be careful out there