2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Park city trip

Theboogeyman

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming that you mean Park City, Utah. The Park City golf course is a bit, um, outdated and heavily trafficked. You can play most of the holes with a hybrid off the tee. That said its a decent round of golf and holes and friendly as a rule. My advice is to tee of early if you want to golf and late with a 6 pack if you want to have fun. Definitely walkable which is unusual for Utah.

If y have some local friends (or perhaps the concierge at your hotel) Tuhaye, Promotory and Glenwild are the class private tracks. At least last year you could talk your way in to Red Ledges and Victory Ranch for a few bucks or a painful real,estate tour. Victory Ranch had almost no homes built n it last time I was there which made it unusually quiet. I assume they've started building there again. Worth a call.

The othe republic tracks I'd recommend are all of the Wasatch Mtn courses over in Midway/Heber. The Soldier Hollow courses are great and, played from the back, tough. The was arch man Mountain course is also good. If you're feeling sporty and don't mind beating the rental car you can take the gravel road home over Guardsman Pass. Def worth the drive from Prk City. Have fun no matter where you end up, 2 clubs worth of altitude and lots lower effective spin rates will do your golf ego good.

[quote name='vandenorth' timestamp='1372227237' post='7325916']
I'm assuming that you mean Park City, Utah. The Park City golf course is a bit, um, outdated and heavily trafficked. You can play most of the holes with a hybrid off the tee. That said its a decent round of golf and holes and friendly as a rule. My advice is to tee of early if you want to golf and late with a 6 pack if you want to have fun. Definitely walkable which is unusual for Utah.

If y have some local friends (or perhaps the concierge at your hotel) Tuhaye, Promotory and Glenwild are the class private tracks. At least last year you could talk your way in to Red Ledges and Victory Ranch for a few bucks or a painful real,estate tour. Victory Ranch had almost no homes built n it last time I was there which made it unusually quiet. I assume they've started building there again. Worth a call.

The othe republic tracks I'd recommend are all of the Wasatch Mtn courses over in Midway/Heber. The Soldier Hollow courses are great and, played from the back, tough. The was arch man Mountain course is also good. If you're feeling sporty and don't mind beating the rental car you can take the gravel road home over Guardsman Pass. Def worth the drive from Prk City. Have fun no matter where you end up, 2 clubs worth of altitude and lots lower effective spin rates will do your golf ego good.
[/quote] thanks I will make sure to check those out. Also do you know anything about how to get on the promontory ranch club dye course?I've read that you can get on there even if you don't know a member. I assume you just email them.

• 1 month later...

Did your trip happen yet? If not I work at Promontory and can fill you in on getting on or answer any other questions you may have.
If you did already travel how was your experience?

Otto

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

Played the Soldier Hollow Gold Course about a week ago and it was in good shape. A little dry, but everything was still lush and the greens were pretty fast. Played from the tips and it is a good course from there, but not great. The front is tight and has some blind shots. The back is wide open and plays like a completely different course from the front.

Also, played Jeremy Ranch and it was just plain weird. Could reach two par fives with a 9 iron and couldn't reach two par fours with a 4 iron. Strange layout. Plus, hit a car on I-80 with my first swing with the driver on the range after asking the Starter if I could reach the road with my driver. It looked like the ball landed just short of the road and jumped up into the side of the car. It was pretty loud but the car never stopped. Only tapped the brakes. Weird. Needless to say, I put the driver away immediately and informed the Starter when we got to the first tee that you could in fact reach the road. He then gave me a small lecture about playing the backs the first time I've played the course and to move up. I refused and hit my 19* hybrid about 2 steps off the first green. Very weird course for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Chef Otto' timestamp='1375898808' post='7625356']
Did your trip happen yet? If not I work at Promontory and can fill you in on getting on or answer any other questions you may have.

Otto
[/quote]

Hi Otto-
Heading to SLC in a few weeks and wanted to play Promontory. I was quoted $250/man with cart? Which of the two is the better of the courses. I'm 4 and the rest my group are high teens and low 20's. any thoughts on how to get on Tuhaye or Glenwild?
Thanks,
Tom

• 1 year later...

Any updates here? Will be in Park City ina little over a week and looking for a great round.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

Otto
[/quote]
+1 on Promontory. The last half (15-18) of the back nine are my favorite. Soldier Hollow and Wasatch Mountain are good, too. I do like Park City which I usually play in the fall. Mountain Dell is an option, too.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

[quote name='tw422' timestamp='1376870740' post='7701254']

Otto
[/quote]

Hi Otto-
Heading to SLC in a few weeks and wanted to play Promontory. I was quoted $250/man with cart? Which of the two is the better of the courses. I'm 4 and the rest my group are high teens and low 20's. any thoughts on how to get on Tuhaye or Glenwild?
Thanks,
Tom
[/quote]

You will need to be the guest of a member. I have played Glenwild once. Nice but I prefer Promontory.

Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

[quote name='drstroud' timestamp='1436189969' post='11895448']

Otto
[/quote]
+1 on Promontory. The last half (15-18) of the back nine are my favorite. Soldier Hollow and Wasatch Mountain are good, too. I do like Park City which I usually play in the fall. Mountain Dell is an option, too.
[/quote]

Would you put Promontory above the other private courses in the area?

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

The private I have played in PC are Glenwild, Promontory (Dye Canyon), and Jeremy Ranch. I have connections to the approval of Glenwild and Promontory but I'd go with Promontory any day.

Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Playing with a client at Wasatch Mountain Course next week and really looking forward to it after reading some recommendations on here. My biggest question is about the altitude. I am from Greenville, SC which is about 1000 feet above sea level. How much farther are we talking about balls flying in the altitude?

Any tips on the Mountain course at Wasatch are much appreciated.

Wasatch Mountain sits at around 5500 feet so expect a club maybe two gain for the elevation. The course itself is a real gem and a treat to play. Condition wise expect it to be in good shape. The first two holes are pretty straight foward and then you start climbing and descending up the mountain. There are some tough uphill holes, think par 4 or 5, 400 to 500 yards with a moderate uphill climb. There are some great down hill par 4 and 5's and some nice par threes with great views of the Heber Valley. A few tight holes that are tree lined, and some that are wide open, the course requires some accuracy off the tee. Hope this helps, let me know if you need anymore advice about that course or any other courses in the area. Enjoy!

• 11 months later...

I've played Promontory(Dye Canyon) - love that track. Playing Park Meadows and Red Ledges this week on a business trip.

Last time I played Ledges was sleeting - looking forward to playing it again

I'm headed to Park City at the end of July - looking for one great course to play - out of those three which would you recommend? How hard is it to get on these without a connection? Is Glenwild private?