Froth's Bag of tricks and random old stuff. (updated 9/02/14)

That sucks Froth. I hate when you find a club you really, really start to enjoy and then have something like that happen. With the faces of clubs being so thin these days, it's bound to happen though I guess.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That totally sucks man. any ideas as to what will replace it? I won't play TM drivers (Burners mainly) for that same reason.

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

No idea what to permanently replace it with, for the time being I have my ancient 975F in the bag with a heavily tipped DG Lite X100(Tipped to length, 42.5") and a whole bunch of lead tape(big surprise). The 975F has been in the bag before and it has lasted quite a long time so I hope it keeps holding up. I really really like Titleist fairway woods so I might have to move on from the 906 series to something like the 910. Though I'd like to avoid the adjustable hosels at all cost.

Perhaps I'll move to a 4 wood instead of a 3 and 5 and also carry my 2 iron again, now that I've opened up an available slot in my already firmly set bag I feel like I have to tinker and hit all the newest fairway woods all over again...

I'm always very open to suggestions from others, I am even considering putting a 17° and 23° Anser Hybrid in place of my 3 and 5 wood so your idea can be pretty "out there" and I might still go for it.

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link

Froth sucks to hear about losing a loved one. I'm actually in the same boat I've been using the superfast 2.0 tp 3 wood for quite a while now and sadly I've also cracked my third head. Could it be the steel shafts???

Anyways...from everything I've hit I think I may be settling on the i20 14° 3 wood. No adjustable hosel and they seem to setup a little bit open. Probably a good one for you to check out.

And on another note, how do you like those Pure grips? I know you used to be a Tour Velvet guy, are they pretty comparable?

[quote name='thehottsauce' timestamp='1393449509' post='8751948']
Froth sucks to hear about losing a loved one. I'm actually in the same boat I've been using the superfast 2.0 tp 3 wood for quite a while now and sadly I've also cracked my third head. Could it be the steel shafts???

Anyways...from everything I've hit I think I may be settling on the i20 14° 3 wood. No adjustable hosel and they seem to setup a little bit open. Probably a good one for you to check out.

And on another note, how do you like those Pure grips? I know you used to be a Tour Velvet guy, are they pretty comparable?
[/quote]
Thanks for the heads up on the i20, I'll definitely give that a look, I really prefer an open face angle and bonded hosel so that sounds very nice. As for the Pure grips, I really like them quite a bit - they give a good tacky feeling while still remaining firm and not squishy, plus I came from a long time use of cord grips with no glove and the Pure PRO gives just a little hint of that bite into your skin that cord grips provide. They wear really good and are very easy to put on/take off with air, so you can easily adjust the size or in my case blow the grip off one 3 wood to put it on the other, takes under a minute.

If you're looking into the Pure PRO and don't much care about color, I got mine from 2ndswning on eBay - [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-Excellent-Condition-Pure-Pro-Mens-Golf-Grips-Black-Yellow-Core-Standard-I-/400668848066?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item5d49b96fc2"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item5d49b96fc2[/url]

For $23.99 for 13 grips I don't think there is a better deal in golf, for under $2 a grip I'll buy them all day long. The "blemish" is a slight coloration difference in the yellow accents, unless you look for it you don't notice it and it doesn't affect the performance of the grips in any way. They stretch really well also, I've got between 8 and 10 wraps of build up tape on most of my clubs and I have no problems sliding the Pure grips over that. Added bonus is if they lose any grip just a quick rinse with soapy water and dry them off and they feel brand new again.

WITB Link

Froth, see if can locate a. Taylormade 300 tour fairway, similar size and shape to the 906, can be had reasonably and tend to have sqare to open face angles.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='MrTmag' timestamp='1393455617' post='8752668']
Did you see that 907D4 7.5 it has your name all over it!
[/quote]
I'm quite satisfied with my SLDR, I moved on from wanting the 907D4. The SLDR is just that good to me, so I couldn't take it out of the bag.
[quote name='dcr147' timestamp='1393455627' post='8752672']
There are 6- 909 f3 13* 3 woods on the bay now.
[/quote]
Yeah but the prices leave something to be desired, I'm a veteran of eBay and generally find auctions that don't catch much interest. I purchased my almost un-hit 906F2 for $31 shipped, and I paid only $17 for the 906F2 18°. I'm the kind of person who likes a real good deal so I can wait until something comes along that catches my interest and has a good price. That's half the reason I have backup clubs for every slot in my bag, gives me time to make sure I buy exactly what I want.

WITB Link

• 1 month later...

Oh my god it's going to be freaking 68° Wednesday, Definitely trying to get off work and play like 36 holes. Haven't been on a course in over three months!!! Possible freedom ahead!!!

WITB Link

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's finally been warm enough to hit the course, have also been hitting over 1000 balls per week since it's been warm enough to do so lately. Made some small adjustments at the top end of my bag, after playing my first practice round of the season I came to the conclusion that I actually don't need a 3 wood any more, I tried to think long and hard when the last time I actually hit a 3 wood off the deck into a par 5 and it was a LONG time ago. Previously I was bagging the 3 wood as primarily a tee box club on days where my driver wasn't behaving for me however since I've put the SLDR in the bag my confidence for hitting it off the tee has soared to a level I haven't experienced since I had my 975J in the bag. The adjustment to the top of my bag removes the 3 wood and replaces it with a 2 iron. Long irons have been one of my favorite clubs to hit for many many years and I've always had confidence in them so putting the 2 iron back in was my obvious choice and it will be used primarily for shorter tight par 4's off the tee as needed. So, here's to carrying only two woods! I'm feeling nostalgic now...

Edit: Will update pictures soon.

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

So now I have this terrible fairway wood choice to make, I decided recently to go back to using my 2-iron more when it was called for off the tee(playing smart, yey) so that meant I needed to move to just one fairway wood. Recently the 906F2 18° had been auditioning for a permanent place in that spot however on this past Saturday while out shopping the local yard sales with the Wife I managed to snag a 15° Taylormade V-Steel for $4.00, cleaned it up and put an X100 in it and I'm really really liking it, played with it today and was 4/4 with very solid shots with it, used it successfully twice out of the first cut, very happy with how it performed. Bonus is that it has a nice crisp sound and would also fill the fairway wood spot very nicely in my bag...now I have to decide which one to keep in the bag. I hate hard choices.

WITB Link

[quote name='boggyman' timestamp='1399332567' post='9238243']
Wondering if you could tell me the stock lofts on set of FG17s? I'm fixing to put mine back in the bag! Thanks and great bag you have!
[/quote]
Factory Wilson lofts:

1i 17°
2i 20°
3i 23°
4i 26°
5i 30°
6i 34°
7i 38°
8i 42°
9i 46°
PW 49°

Best of luck with yours!

WITB Link

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1399335595' post='9238543']
[quote name='boggyman' timestamp='1399332567' post='9238243']
Wondering if you could tell me the stock lofts on set of FG17s? I'm fixing to put mine back in the bag! Thanks and great bag you have!
[/quote]
Factory Wilson lofts:

1i 17°
2i 20°
3i 23°
4i 26°
5i 30°
6i 34°
7i 38°
8i 42°
9i 46°
PW 49°

Best of luck with yours!
[/quote] Thanks!!

On a whim I went to the local Golfsmith after playing a round and decided I needed to compare my SLDR 460 to the BB Alpha.

The TOP FOUR SHOTS are:

- BB Alpha, Stock Fubuki Zeta Tour X-Flex 9° set on 8° 45" length.

The NEXT FIVE SHOTS are:

- SLDR 460 w/ Toe cap screw, DG X100 tipped 3", 10.5° set on 8.5° 44.5" length.

The results.

mahnumbasss2.jpg

I was surprised with how close it was, the SLDR for me seemed to just edge it out by a little for me(which doesn't surprise me, it suits my swing very well) and since I already own it I will keep it. Honestly I hate how it feels, but the ball just soars so I use it and deal with the crap feel. The BB Alpha feels much better(to me) but I can't justify paying for it yet. Of course, part of the crap feel could be attributed to the X100 shaft in the SLDR and steel could possibly make the BB feel just as crappy. I'd rather not try personally.

The last three shots are 2-irons(20°) off a 1/2" tee, and I can't even reliably launch that as high as these low CG Drivers.

Edit: I'll update pics when I decide what fairway wood is going in the bag.

WITB Link

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1399592952' post='9260085']
I wish I averaged your 2 iron carry off the tee : )
[/quote]
I had just finished a round and was really hitting my long irons well so I figured I would perhaps compare my 2-iron to the Ping Rapture but the Golfsmith I went to did not have them in the store. I was however particularly happy to see 150mph+ ball speed off a 30+ year old 2-iron, haha.

WITB Link

In 17 years of golf I've only played with a handful of gents who can hit the ball that far. It is truly a spectacle to witness a 330 yard drive when you are accustomed to the 240 yard variety. I'm most impressed by your consistency Froth. Nearly optimal spin and launch angle.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1399593621' post='9260153']
In 17 years of golf I've only played with a handful of gents who can hit the ball that far. It is truly a spectacle to witness a 330 yard drive when you are accustomed to the 240 yard variety. I'm most impressed by your consistency Froth. Nearly optimal spin and launch angle.
[/quote]
I'll be honest that I do get a lot of comments when I play with others on the length I hit the ball, I played with two mid 30's men last week and on the 2nd fairway the longer hitter of the two came up to me and asked me what I hit off the tee because his drive was about 10 yards behind my ball when we got down to them, I had hit a 2 iron off the tee to avoid some water that is about a 295-310yd carry right before the green. I've just become used to all of it, but it is very very rare that I play golf with someone who hits the ball consistently further than I do.

WITB Link

Froth,

I've come to the realization that I'm never going to be a long hitter. It just isn't in the cards. I need to develop an image. I'm leaning toward the 'straight guy who scrambles like a madman and gets up and down like a magician' (from the whites : )

Most guys that I know who are legitimate long hitters don't boast. As you've stated, I think they've simply become accustomed to seeing the ball fly far. It's those of us who are 'distance challenged' who stare in amazement. I love the thwack that's associated with a well struck ball that's hit a mile. I'd like to record that sound and play it when I hit my 240 yard draws.

Thank you for sharing. I truly enjoy following your progress.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of progress/updates, had a bit of a setback as I currently have horrifyingly bad medial [i]and[/i] lateral shin splints in my right leg which is excruciatingly painful when loading into my right side on the back swing. Haven't been able to play or practice much at all for the past three weeks, haven't really been able to do much of anything but go to work and limp around. Hopefully this will clear up sooner rather than later, it is feeling much better than it has recently but I already tried to push it and practice hard last week and it just made everything hurt all over again. It's hard, but I just can't golf or practice until everything clears up 100%. Boo hiss.

WITB Link

Speedy recovery to you!

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

Froth,

I'm sorry to read that you are temporarily out of commission. Hoping you are able to return to action soon.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*