Froth's Bag of tricks and random old stuff. (updated 9/02/14)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love reading this and all the updates. I think this should be more than a WITB thread though, I think you should keep us up to date on your quest for competitive golf as well.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1389735560' post='8460773']
Love reading this and all the updates. I think this should be more than a WITB thread though, I think you should keep us up to date on your quest for competitive golf as well.
[/quote]
Once I'm getting closer to that point I'll have more updates along those lines for sure, really getting into a groove with my swing/equipment now and I'm to the point where every single gap in my bag is dialed and all of my yardages are getting dialed. I'm really looking forward to getting back to a + HDCP in 2014 and right now I know I have the bag to do it, very comfortable with every club in every position right now.

Also, wow do I need to update my pictures. Perhaps I'll do that tomorrow.

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link

Actually updated pics in the first post, before anyone asks yes my SLDR is painted a textured black(VHT Wrinkle Black). The stock crown graphics bothered me enough to paint over them, that little "SLDR" alignment line at the back always looked like a scratch to me and with an open face angle they didn't really line up correctly. Plus now all of the woods are black and they "match", I blame my OCD. I also took the "SLDR" logo on the bottom of the club off because like most of them the corners were starting to come up, then I filled that area in with grey silicone so it was a bit cleaner looking. I also removed the anodizing from the sliding weight, because it was the only thing that was blue left on the club and, well...OCD.

Here is a closer shot of the "texture" on the SLDR, from my experience with spraypaint I know it's not going to be as durable as a factory job so this way if a small scuff or scratch shows up I won't have to do anything about it. The can of wrinkle black I used was a few years old and didn't wrinkle as much as I remember(It was also probably 40° F outside when I did it), could probably do a better job with a brand new can in warmer weather but this worked good enough for my liking.

texturetop.jpg

WITB Link

[quote name='punchshotny' timestamp='1390098363' post='8486631']
before you go out on the mini tours you had better change to cc irons. The sad truth is someone is going to call it on you and you dont want to find out after the tourney that you have been dq'ed.
[/quote]
I do appreciate the concern, I've thought that out already - If I play a sanctioned event with the 17's I will have my irons inspected by the USGA first, you can count on that. Any club not on the list is open to being inspected if you either ship them or bring them in person to an inspection station.

The other option is upgrading to the new Wilson Staff FG Tour 100 irons, which I've had my eye on since I first saw them. As soon as they're released in February I'll be searching for a place to hit them.

WITB Link

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1390101207' post='8486931']
before you go out on the mini tours you had better change to cc irons. The sad truth is someone is going to call it on you and you dont want to find out after the tourney that you have been dq'ed.
[/quote]
I do appreciate the concern, I've thought that out already - If I play a sanctioned event with the 17's I will have my irons inspected by the USGA first, you can count on that. Any club not on the list is open to being inspected if you either ship them or bring them in person to an inspection station.

The other option is upgrading to the new Wilson Staff FG Tour 100 irons, which I've had my eye on since I first saw them. As soon as they're released in February I'll be searching for a place to hit them.
[/quote]You are OK with FG 17's for competition... They are V-grooved, unless you've changed them. Square grooved irons were not starting to be produced until 84-85 by Wilson with the Staff Fluid Feel irons.

[/quote]

[/quote]

i looked into the proceedure too. i used to play old powerbilt blades. after mulling over it for a while i decided to switch to a set that is on the list. basically i was worried about causing a scene on site at a qualifier and being too bothered to focus on playing well. figured id change now and start getting used to new sticks asap.

by the way great set you have there.

[quote name='dcr147' timestamp='1390102893' post='8487103']
[/quote]

[/quote]You are OK with FG 17's for competition... They are V-grooved, unless you've changed them. Square grooved irons were not starting to be produced until 84-85 by Wilson with the Staff Fluid Feel irons.
[/quote]

dont follow this advice - its not the rule. i agree they are probably fine but if the clubs arent on the list you have some "splaining" to do.

the rules is very specific about groove dimensions. its not as simple as all v gooves are okay.

[quote name='punchshotny' timestamp='1390103134' post='8487133']
[quote name='dcr147' timestamp='1390102893' post='8487103']
[/quote]

[/quote]

dont follow this advice - its not the rule. i agree they are probably fine but if the clubs arent on the list you have some "splaining" to do.

the rules is very specific about groove dimensions. its not as simple as all v gooves are okay.
[/quote]
I made a post about the specifics of the inspection procedure in this thread a few pages back, I'm well aware of the actual inspection process that must be done to render a club as conforming and I am very up to date on what the exact groove dimensions must be(I have also measured mine myself). I have already decided that I will have my clubs inspected prior to any stipulated competition being played with them where the conditions of competition are in effect. The entire process can be found here - http://www.usga.org/equipment/testing/InviteForOpenClubTesting/

I am extremely thorough in everything I take interest in, so I would never dream of just thinking my clubs would simply pass.

WITB Link

You probably will not have any problems on most minis because basically they don't have the means ready avaible to test and don't have the money to test. I did have one problem on one mini though. This one peckerhead did question about my 70 VIPs being conforming. He read too much internet and he had mine mixed up with the later VIPs that were a forged combo set which was non conforming. We did have a guy on staff that knew his stuff and could basically tell (not etched in stone though) if a club was non conforming. He did lodge a protest but the tour director who knew what I was playing told him basically to bug off that my stuff was made in 1970 before anyone had done anything on grooves. That is the only incident I saw or heard of on any of the minis down south. I do know my best friend whose daughter is playing college golf called me the other night concerned about his daughter's J33s. I told him about the USGA website. Nothing had been said yet on the NCAA college level but she is going to try to qualify for some Amateur USGA events this summer and someone had said her clubs may not be conforming. I directed them to the USGA website. I don't know the outcome yet and to be honest the whole thing seems complicated to me.
By the way Froth how did you measure yours I do know from your posts that you are a machinist so can you explain that. I am a halfway machinist from being a diesel mechanic and building race cars so maybe you can enlighten me

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

It's amazing how similar our bags are. I play a last year driver, 9 year old fairways, 17 year old irons, 2-3 year old wedges, and a homemade arm lock putter. It's almost uncanny. If I played 30 year old blades it would just be weird.

Razr Fit Extreme 9.5 w/ black tie
Wishon 515grt 14&18
Cobra OS forged 3-PW
Cleveland cg15 52&58
Rife Barbados belly turned armlock.

Superfast 1.0 TP
913 FD 15*
Rocketbladez Tour 3-P
Red Saw Vokeys
Scotty Select Squareback

[quote name='PDoN' timestamp='1390311000' post='8500273']
It's amazing how similar our bags are. I play a last year driver, 9 year old fairways, 17 year old irons, 2-3 year old wedges, and a homemade arm lock putter. It's almost uncanny. If I played 30 year old blades it would just be weird.

Razr Fit Extreme 9.5 w/ black tie
Wishon 515grt 14&18
Cobra OS forged 3-PW
Cleveland cg15 52&58
Rife Barbados belly turned armlock.
[/quote]
I have a feeling we would get along great, hehe.

WITB Link

[quote name='dcr147' timestamp='1390325609' post='8501797']
Check out this listing if you have not already viewed it:http://www.ebay.com/itm/BERNHARD-LANGER-WILSON-STAFF-TOUR-BLADES-2-SW-PERSONAL-SET-MINT-CONDITION-/221358320252?pt=LH_DefaultD
[/quote]
Very nice looking clubs, too bad they're the 78-80 stamping and not the 81+ stamping, I'm not a huge fan of those because the sole/back edge grind is different on the 78-80 clubs.

Edit: Really cool that it has a matching JP style Sand wedge as well. Nice set, I'm sure those will sell to someone.

WITB Link

Those are the 78-80 Stamping, you can tell by the font of the "Staff" stamping, the F in staff is the easiest way to tell it is an entirely different font. They should also be zero bounce, but with a sharper leading edge and a slightly different grind on the bottom/back of the sole. They may also have a slightly lighter head weight(we're talking 2-3 grams, if that). They're pretty close to FG-17's, but if you have them side by side you can tell pretty readily what the differences are.

WITB Link

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1390338668' post='8503517']
Those are the 78-80 Stamping, you can tell by the font of the "Staff" stamping, the F in staff is the easiest way to tell it is an entirely different font. They should also be zero bounce, but with a sharper leading edge and a slightly different grind on the bottom/back of the sole. They may also have a slightly lighter head weight(we're talking 2-3 grams, if that). They're pretty close to FG-17's, but if you have them side by side you can tell pretty readily what the differences are.
[/quote]OK, thanks. The only real differences I see are that the toe is more squared off and the leading edge isn't quite as sharp as on my FG 17's.

• 3 weeks later...

Great Bag!!

Yep, the 17's are iconic. I played em for 8 years(3 sets).

One of the 3 finest irons that I've ever hit.

Well, the Very Best to You this year-

Fairways & Greens My friend,
Richard
:miz:

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Frothy! I'm becoming a huge fan. I have one recommendation for your gear and on for your thread.

Gear: RODDIO!
Thread: Let's hear a little about the lady(s) in your life...

Please keep up the great work!

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

Oh neat, I'll have to give those a swing if I ever get the chance. As far as non-steel shafts go though I really like the Accra Hybrex M5 but they're just not in the range of price I want to spend, although any iron shaft I use generally needs to be 2.0 torque or lower. To be honest I'm a pretty big fan of Steel shafts in my irons for that reason, plus since I like to dowel them steel just makes sense as for me they're cheaper and more durable with better feel. I actually like iron shafts that aren't entirely too stiff since I generally swing my irons about 90% so I just stick with X100. I tried the C-taper X since they're one of the stiffest around but the profile of the C-taper doesn't work for my feel at all, felt very harsh to me. If they weren't so expensive or hard to find, I'd track down a set of True Temper X7's, those are some good shafts.

WITB Link

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1391977572' post='8630643']
Oh neat, I'll have to give those a swing if I ever get the chance. As far as non-steel shafts go though I really like the Accra Hybrex M5 but they're just not in the range of price I want to spend, although any iron shaft I use generally needs to be 2.0 torque or lower. To be honest I'm a pretty big fan of Steel shafts in my irons for that reason, plus since I like to dowel them steel just makes sense as for me they're cheaper and more durable with better feel. I actually like iron shafts that aren't entirely too stiff since I generally swing my irons about 90% so I just stick with X100. I tried the C-taper X since they're one of the stiffest around but the profile of the C-taper doesn't work for my feel at all, felt very harsh to me. If they weren't so expensive or hard to find, I'd track down a set of True Temper X7's, those are some good shafts.
[/quote]

The X7s are as good as a shaft can be. I'm still bummed I sold mine. Playing C Taper X now. I'll keep my eyes open for some X7s for you.

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

Before I decide if I'm going to change shafts at all I need to hit the Nippon Super Peening Blue in X, I haven't hit those yet because they're just difficult to come across where I am, if I can get my hands on those at a reasonable price I would consider trying them blind off the reviews I've read, Though to be completely honest I'm very happy with the X100 Tour Concepts, very good feel and the profile suits my swing. For the price they are hard to beat, you can still pick up new sets of X100 3-PW chrome Tour Concepts on eBay for under $100. One of the best deals around for the price IMO.

WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...

Alright this is starting to get frustrating, I have now caved/cracked three Titleist 906 series fairway woods, Two 18.5° 906F4's and my latest addition to the scrap pile is my recently purchased 906F2 13° 3 wood. Hooray...Now I have tons of confidence that my matching 18° 906F2 5 wood will hold up -_-, or...NONE. Sucky suck town is where I'm currently at, the one real chance I get to practice and hit balls for the past month and I cave the face in on a club I had firmly seated in my bag. Grrr, backup warrior 975F 13.5° 3 wood is back in the bag once I decide what shaft to use in it.

Obligatory carnage pic, you can't see much because it's hard to photograph but you can notice quite readily where the reflection takes a sharp turn, that's a nice big dent with a stress crack in the middle of it. Joy.

906f2b.jpg

Edit: I may have to abandon my beloved 906 Fairway woods, I can't have confidence in something I keep breaking.

WITB Link