2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Harborside International

Go_Blue!

Heading to Chicago in early August for buddy's bachelor party. We are going a day early and playing 36 at Harborside. Both have never played there and was looking for others thoughts and opinions of both the port and starboard courses.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either go extremely crack of dawn early or twilight - it's packed, all the time. On the other hand, there might be a reason for that.

As others have said....wind.

Also these are NOT links style courses....they are by and large straight up aerial assault golf in high winds with very little roll on most shots The courses are both rated 74.something from the tips, so choose your blocks carefully. Lots of little mounds covered in long stuff about 10 yards off the fairway - I always find 3 or 4 balls in there but none of them are mine.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='saggysag' timestamp='1375148319' post='7565262']
Pretty wide open - boring tracks - -over priced by about 40$ or $50. Make the drive somewhere else - - plenty of great tracks to play
[/quote]

Please....go on. Tell me the other courses within 30 miles of the city that don't suck and are much cheaper.

[quote name='saggysag' timestamp='1375380170' post='7584612']
Im not saying all courses are cheaper - -but I'm saying Harbordog is overpriced.

Better golf courses - (granted some more expensive) - but worth the drive
Dubsdread
Pine Meadow
Cantigny
Glen Club
Bowes creek
Prarie Landing
Village links Glen Ellyn
Ruffled Feathers
Stonewall Orchard

Bolingbrook is borderline
[/quote]

Glen Club is more expensive.

And not a single one of those is any closer than 30 min from the loop. If you want to play nearby downtown, there is no better option than Harborside. The best option is to get a deal there, either from Ezlinks or playing twilight...but as much as I like those other courses you listed, not a single one would be good for someone coming in from out of town who wants to play 36 and is staying in the city.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

Surprised people don't like harborside - hadn't played there in years, basically since I moved out of the city, but went back a few weeks ago and it was great. Good shot values, nice strategy options, and it was in great shape. Rewards good decisions and good execution, punishes poor decisions and poor shots. Its pretty much all I need in a course.

Played port for reference.

Thanks for all the feedback, fellas. We tee off tomorrow early for our 36 hole adventure and will share my thoughts.

51* Srixon Z785 

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Stasek, I actually booked lost marsh for Saturday. That is gonna kick off the actual bachelor party. Looking forward to that as well.

51* Srixon Z785 

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Harborside is the best option if you don't want to drive far from the city. Having said that, my gripes with the course are:

1) They call it a "links" course, but keep the fairways soaking wet. Links courses are supposed to play firm and fast.
2) Crowded.
3) Overpriced. However, the high cost is reflective of the close proximity to the city (benefit).
4) The "heather" is not heather. It's a lateral hazard. You should be able to find and play your ball from heather, but at Harborside it's a one shot penalty.

[quote name='atn86' timestamp='1375460085' post='7591030']
Harborside is the best option if you don't want to drive far from the city. Having said that, my gripes with the course are:

1) They call it a "links" course, but keep the fairways soaking wet. Links courses are supposed to play firm and fast.
2) Crowded.
3) Overpriced. However, the high cost is reflective of the close proximity to the city (benefit).
4) The "heather" is not heather. It's a lateral hazard. You should be able to find and play your ball from heather, but at Harborside it's a one shot penalty.
[/quote]

Having played there a bunch of times I feel as though its my duty to educate you.
1. Links courses having nothing to do with the amount or application of water, it has to deal with the layout of green and tee boxes. The fairways at Harborside MUST be watered all of the time due to the fact that the soil is sludge as opposed to common clay, dirt, and sand based in the area. If they don't water it won't go dormant, it'll be dirt and die.
2/3. If the golf course is always crowded, obviously it's not #3 where you say it's overpriced. Play at a different time or on a different day. Or join a private club.
4. You could land a 747 down the fairways at Harborside. If you are hitting in the heather (which is mostly for aesthetics due to it being nowhere even remotely close to in play) I suggest you spend more time at their fantastic practice facility.

Links courses are supposed to play firm and fast. I understand that the course is built on sludge and the implications. But they should not have built a suto-links course on a property that is not suited to play firm and fast.

I am just stating a fact that it is crowded. I understand the laws of supply and demand. I just don't think it's worth the money. Are you going to tell me you like playing a crowded golf course?

I was not stating anything about my game. I was stating that a course that gets so much play should not be so penal off the fairway for your average golfer.

Thanks for your attempt to educate me though.

[quote name='atn86' timestamp='1375551007' post='7597464']
I am just stating a fact that it is crowded. I understand the laws of supply and demand. I just don't think it's worth the money. Are you going to tell me you like playing a crowded golf course?
[/quote]

You say you understand this law but I'm not sure. The place being overcrowded at the current price would suggest that, if anything, they would be justified in raising the price. You may not think that it is worth the money, but clearly 'the market' disagrees.

That being said I never play there during non-twilight hours.....

I got to say I loved every minute of my day at harborside this wknd. Wind was kicking on some holes more than others, but it was still a blast. Will go back for sure. Such a great experience.

51* Srixon Z785 

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

• 3 weeks later...

Finally after all these years I played Harborside today for the first time. Gotta say it was probably the most disappointed in a course I've been all year. Got it for $75 on Golfnow and at best this course should cost $55. Every hole was identical to the one before. The whole course consists of wind and sand. That's what you deal with the entire day on every shot.

If you enjoy spending your entire day playing identical looking holes deciding what club to use in a 25mph wind while negotiating layup areas 200-250 yards ahead of you with nothing but sand surrounding the fairways then by all means, this is the course for you.

And to top it off it was packed and slow. Our tee time was at 1:10 so wasn't expecting that. Maybe I was spoiled since yesterday we played SteepleChase at the same time and had the course to ourselves.

Glad I finally played Harbourside, but there's no way I'm going back. Thoroughly unimpressed. There are MUCH better options if you can stomach driving an additional 15 minutes in whichever direction you head out (ie, 45 minutes from the city).

[quote name='atn86' timestamp='1375551007' post='7597464']
Links courses are supposed to play firm and fast. I understand that the course is built on sludge and the implications. But they should not have built a suto-links course on a property that is not suited to play firm and fast.

I was not stating anything about my game. I was stating that a course that gets so much play should not be so penal off the fairway for your average golfer.

Thanks for your attempt to educate me though.
[/quote]

An attempt to educate? Yea it was feeble but those unwilling to learn rarely do actually learn.

Do you know that the golf course was built on a garbage dump? You can't exactly plant trees there...

I LOVE it when my favorite go,f course is packed! You won't to know why? Because I know they are making money and that I'm going to continue to receive the same level of customer service and course conditions time and time again. If your golf course is not busy, you should be worried. Times are tough and golf courses aren't exactly cash cows these days. If you find yourself in an empty course enjoy it while you can because that place will be going down hill quickly!

If you miss a fairway at Harborside you suck and need a driver lesson. Plain and simple. You can't argue that one.

It all boils down to this...

Some people like parkland/tree lined courses and some like links style courses. If you need to trees to help you aim your shots, don't play links golf courses.