Rounds with a Vintage Bag

10 strokes!!!.......I jest. Thought a bit about this of late, as the season is fast winding down. It a strange way, look forward to a little golf down time. Like all of us around here, really enjoy playing. And I did a lot of it this year, maybe more than ever. But have I gotten "better" in the grand scheme of things? I suppose if you call dropping my scoring average from low 90's into the mid-80's (with some degree of consistency) getting better. Because to get really better, requires more time and effort than I'm prepared to give. Don't think being able to play year round is going to change this fact. To transcend to consistently breaking 80 requires a whole lot more practice and probably some professional instruction. The prior I do not particularly enjoy, the latter is something I've never been inclined to do. Just don't think 12 month golf is going to make that big of difference, already had ample time this season for improvement.

But I do not live by golf alone. That's why a little off season is a good thing. We Northerner's have our winter diversions to look forward to. Scott snowmobiles, Scomac has curling (always wanted to try it, looks like fun). I enjoy hitting the slopes a bit. When golf is not part of the equation, we can pursue our other activities without confliction. And when I feel the need to go hit some balls, can run over to the local golf dome and smash some 110 yard drives into the back of the dome. Also have these golf simulator venues popping up around here of late. The one nearby is a very nice establishment. Fun way for the gang (and the wives) to spend a few wintery evening hours. Food, drink and swings at the course of your choice. Point being, its not like we're totally devoid of swinging a golf club just because there is snow on the ground. Plus there is this home remod project the Mrs. has been bugging me about. Maybe this winter.

Windy answer to say that I don't think the winter layoff makes a heck of a lot of difference. At least from my perspective. Maybe just appreciate the days spent on the course more, particularly now. At this stage of my life, probably about as "good' as I'll ever be and I'm O.K. with that. Having only the limited season reference point to work with. Maybe one day, when all the family obligations that keep us here are over, will move to "sunny climes" and I might have a different opinion. But I wonder just how much golf I would be playing in 90+ heat and humidity all summer. Us Northerners are not accustomed to those conditions. Furthermore, if I got to good, probably wouldn't want to continue changing up the clubs I use every other round.

Get back with me in February to see if I'm singing the same tune.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

And in Feburary hopefully we will be looking forward to March Madness again. Both our lads squads had stellar runs last year Doug.
I believe you are correct about the other activities and how they make for a more well-rounded consciousness.
And, I too am okay with where my game is. The enjoyment factor is immensely more these past couple of years with the vintage gear, or a bag for all seasons outing.

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1444922230' post='12459960']
Scott,
I, as a southern boy, still find it odd that "golf" has a season. I know you guys in the northern climates have limited playing and practice time, so I guess what I am trying to say is, "Just how good, at golf, could all you guys be if you could play/practice year round?"
Although, i must say I have played less in 2015 than in any of the past 20 years, but actually feel like my game is overall in better shape.
Do you feel the layoff over the winter helps, or hinders your game?

Randy
[/quote]

I don't know how it would affect me, but I have seen this in a friend who moved here (MN) from Arizona a few years ago. In AZ, he was a +1 or +2 hdcp, though he would qualify that by saying it was a reasonably easy course.

Here in MN, he was around a 3 hdcp, though he was playing at a tougher course than his course in AZ.

Tough to parse out exactly how much from each, but I think it suggests a couple strokes, minimum. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1444922230' post='12459960']
Scott,
I, as a southern boy, still find it odd that "golf" has a season. I know you guys in the northern climates have limited playing and practice time, so I guess what I am trying to say is, "Just how good, at golf, could all you guys be if you could play/practice year round?"
Although, i must say I have played less in 2015 than in any of the past 20 years, but actually feel like my game is overall in better shape.
Do you feel the layoff over the winter helps, or hinders your game?

Randy
[/quote]

At my level I doubt the winter layoff hurts my game. I've played with several fellows that winter down south and usually I'm pretty competitive with them out of the gate in the spring. I do spend a fair bit of time in March getting ready for our season, so perhaps that helps getting the golf muscles ready.

I don't mind the layoff. It allows me to renew my enthusiasm for the game and hopefully forget a few bad habits I may have picked up over the course of the season. I'm at the point where I'm comfortable with my game and happy to refine it as best I can without any grand plan to reach a certain handicap. It should be fun and for me it seems that setting performance goals is akin to making golf a job. I think that would spoil it for me.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

No rounds yet, but I have recovered enough from the flood I was able to take some time this morning and go to the range.
SEOM m85w 2 wood,
Wilson Buttonbacks 2-9, getting the pw reshafted.
Wilson Dynapower sw,
Bullseye flange putter.

My intent was to go through a large bucket on the range, then some chipping and putting.

Hit half a bucket, then went over for some putting practice, a little chipping, then back to finish off with some tee balls.

Very satisfied with everything after an almost 2 month layoff. One thing of note, having lost all of my golf shoes and sneakers to the flood, and not having had the time to replace them, I practiced in a casual pair of Rockports. Hmm, interesting...since I didn't have much traction I had to pay particular attention to not over swinging and maintaining my balance. Very suprised at how this played out. What felt like perhaps half speed to be resulted in some stellar shots, albeit a bit of rust from the 2 month absence. This was particularly apparent in the tee ball. Contact was way better than I could have hoped for with only a slight loss of distance, but XXX increase in accuracy.
Think I am off later to purchase a pair of Converse to test on the course next week.

Also, my man Herb in the pro shop said the course was under 4 feet of water at the height of the flood.

Perhaps a couple of months, or more layoff from the clubs isn't such a bad thing after all.

Was able to get out for 27 holes yesterday.
Citation driver, Ping eye2 5 wood
Wilson Buttonbacks 2-9
Hogan Radial E wedge
Wilson Dynapower 56*
Spalding Cash In putter

Would like to say I played a stellar round and a half, but, that would be a stretch of even my over active imagination.
Back was out of sorts with all the work I have been doing due to the flood. Couldn't get the driver in position at the top, so I was playing slap it out handsy with a medium height almost a reverse draw left to right with some run.
First time on the course for the Buttonbacks, and I can say without a doubt they are the best feeling set of irons I have ever played. Didn't miss a 3 par all day with them. Fell in love with the 4 iron.
Short game was AWOL and it had been money for the last few times I played. Now, I am not grouping putting into the short game itself, so putting was lights out with the Cash In.
All in all I had a great time. Played with my youngest son, who plays maybe four times a year and still goes round under 80 with 4 lip outs and a double on 18. The vintage bug has started to bite him as well, so he picked up an old Palmer Persimmon, with hex shaft, a Ginty and an old Dynapowered sw to go with a set of Ping ISI.
Looking forward to getting back out, but back to reality and work on the house.

Got nine holes in this afternoon between showers with the same group of seniors I played with 3 weeks ago. I hit the ball fairly well today in spite of a bad wrist and sore shoulder. Funny how that goes. Hit my woods well again, but didn't have the same sort of yardage as last week, but still pretty solid distance. Iron play was improved at least in terms of getting the face square to path. Had a couple come up short though due to hitting a bit heavy. Pitching and chipping was solid, but I had nothing to show for it as I couldn't make a thing with the flat stick. Ended up with a 42.

At this point of the season, score is pretty much irrelevant. With the curling season now in full swing it will be difficult to find the time and the weather to get many more games in, so I approach each time out as it maybe my last for the season. It was a more seasonable round today, calmer with milder temperatures than what was on tap from last week. Our group may try again on Thursday, but rain is in the forecast.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 2 weeks later...

Well, final post for the year. Greenskeeper had fungicided the greens, and the flags were likely coming down today. He really didn't even want me on them yesterday, but I promised I would disturb them as little as possible, and he seemed OK. Think I was the only person he saw on the course yesterday.

Bag I took out was:
D: TM R460
FW: Hogan Speed Slot 3W and 5W
Irons: Hogan Bounce Sole Plus One 3-9
Wedges: Hogan Precision-Style E, Wilson Dual Wedge, Wilson RPM LW
Putter: Wilson Billy Casper
Ball: Noodle Distance in Yellow

Figure this is pretty close to a vintage bag - only modern clubs (i.e. newer than 1979) were the LW and the driver.

Conditions were challenging - light misting rain in 40*, with a solid 20 MPH NE wind. Greens were pretty nice (though did have some debris), just had to make sure I did not ingest fungicide in my travels.

Net result, a plus 4 Bogey, Bogey, Bogey, Bogey, Par, Bogey, Par, Birdie, Par. However, some things to note:
- I missed four makeable putts
- On every hole I had a putt for at least par. 7 of 8 were makeable (I made 3) meaning if I had had a slightly warmer putter, par could have been had.
- Except for two mishits on hole #2, the irons were quite solid. Nice feel and contact all day - think these Hogans are growing on me

Considering the conditions, I was very pleased with this last round for the year. It allowed me to solidify bag plans for next year, meaning I will divest myself of further inventory in the spring (different Hogan Bounce Soles, Goosenecks), and cut down to the bag mentioned above, and a "modern" set. This means I may also have to part with some wooden woods and some putters as well.

Another season done, and one of my best rounds of the year saved for last.

I'll try and remember to pop in occasionally during my winter hibernation. Unfortunately, hearing you all talking about how you're still able to golf is a bit depressing.

Off to the snowmobile forums!

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Well Scott, thanks for sharing and when we are fussing about the below 60F we have to play in, we'll think of you and the lads in the northern climate shoveling snow and driving on ice. Do have a good winter my friend and be safe when out and about in the white stuff.

Randy

Oh, btw, to keep with your theme of a set for all seasons, and to keep me semi conpetive when I play with my sons I went to a dark side tee club, the new Callaway Mini 1.5.
Put it in the bag today on a very wet course, the rain hasn't really let up here since the flooding and everything is still sloppy, and sloppy is being kind.
It's a real good modern 2 wood that can provide double duty.

Thanks Randy,

The missus and I have discussed coming your way one winter day for some winter golf. Actually, I'll golf with my WRX buddies, while she finds the local outlet mall.

Unfortunately, with some life stuff going on, I'm pretty sure this will not be the winter. But I do hope to come South to visit you good folks in the next few years.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I went out and played with an all vintage bag today and had a ton of fun. I had my Macgregor MT persimmon driver and 3 wood and then my new Hogan PowerThrust irons. I played 27 holes in 7 over, which was pretty solid considering I was still getting used to the gear for most of the day. I got going on my last nine of the day and hit 6 of 7 fairways, which was amazing for me. I starting relying on a little dinky cut with my driver; it only goes 240-250 but I was getting very accurate with that shot so I hit it often. When I teed the driver up and hit a draw it would chase out to 280, but I found that shot to be less accurate.

I ended up just filming a handful of shots, because I went solo and had no one to film for me. The shots in the video are:

1. A little 9 iron that found the center of the green from 135.

2. A low cut with the driver, the shot I really started to rely on as the day went on.

3. A 2 iron on a tricky 220 yard par three. Shot ended up on the front fringe and I made a nice par. Unfortunately the camera was poorly focused for this shot icon_e_sad.gif

4. A 3 wood on a dogleg left that found the center of the fairway.

5. A 4 iron on a tough strait uphill, 190 yard par 3. I caught this a touch thin and it ended up in the front right bunker, leading to a bogey....

6. A 7 iron from 155 strait uphill to a back left pin. I played a nice draw that ended up about 15 feet from the cup.

7. A 9 iron from 145 that I hit really well right over a back pin into the rough. I made a great par save from over the back of the green!

Enjoy!

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Played yesterday. With the recent Mac thread running I thought I would take out the VIP split soles. Finally figured out how to hit them without digging to China, so wanted to see how it would transfer from range to course.
One of those blessed golf days when you show up and get paired up with some good people. Decent golfers, good conversation and aware of etiquette.
Temps down in the 59's, front blowing in with wind and spitting misty rain. GREAT day to play. At least one sometimes 2 club wind, but still very manageable. The kind of day that makes you focus and really absorb your mind into the round
m85 2 wood, dx 4 wood, 3-9 split soles, 985 10 iron, dynapowered wedge and bullseye flange putter.
Tested out the NXT tour s ball. Didn't check up as much as I had anticipated it would, but all in all not a bad ball, but for the price point will go back to the duo.
The split soles worked well. A solid round where I was in control of my ball the majority of the holes. Mostly par, boogie, par boogie with 2 doubles and 1 birdie thrown in. Should have kept the Cash in in the bag. Flat stick was shall we say flat.

Musings on the last few posts:

Randy, I see you played with the PING Eye2 5 wood. That is one of my most dependable clubs--even with me swinging it.

Scooter, I have never been able to successfully mix a modern driver and vintage irons. Well maybe one exception-I have some Cleveland blades with S400's in them that when I am swinging well and hard (for me) work ok. When I put that toaster in my hands I am thinking "kill" and it throws my rhythm (what there is) off.

How do you guys handle the moist weather with woods? I am thinking I will get out the Boom Boom for the winter, along with a newly aquired 19* Taylor Raylor (ca. 1990). The Boom Boom was Freddie's transition club, and it compares favorably in size to persimmon.

Randy, have you done any other posts on that Callaway Mini? How do you like it?

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

My woods are crumbling from lack of care. Got soaked, left in car trunk, hitting range balls... Next set will get TLC.

Today my brother and I played at Presidio in SF in between rain spats. Got in 11 holes.
Of note I got a nice par in regulation with an amazing 5 iron from a tight lie in the rough, tucked a bit behind a huge cypress tree. Somehow cleared my mind enough to hit it cleanly up over the big branch and bend it to the green to rest within 6 feet of the hole. Sad to miss the birdie putt but whatever it was a nice shot.

Not much else to remark about except for a few nice drives with the 2 wood. It might become my standard thing to do (hello 1 iron!!).

I played my last round a week and a half ago, on 11/14. Wearing shorts, no less. Endured a few comments about my sanity, but that's OK. I was warm enough.

What I've neglected to mention is that I used the real wood for this round. Nothing too sexy like my Ram persimmons, or the Louisville Smart Driver, or the Personal Driver I picked up this summer, just the Ping Zing Blondes.

What made it amusing is the guys I played with wanted to play a team match. The guy with the highest handicap was my partner, possibly his choice because I'm the longest hitter. He wasn't terribly excited when he saw me pull the Ping woods from the bag. Asked me where my regular driver was. LOL

Didn't hit them very well on the front nine. I've said before I prefer an acclimation range session or two before I take the clubs on the course, but I took them out cold this day. Once I got to the back nine, I'd reacclimated and adjusted, and was hitting the ball fairly well. And, more importantly, very accurately. My last couple tee shots were going exactly where I aimed them. Too bad I wasn't playing 27 holes. LOL

The real star was the 2 iron, though. Since reshafting it with a not very classic Nippon Super Peening Blue shaft, it's been launching screaming rockets for me. After hitting it off the tee on the lone par 5 on the back nine, I found myself nearly in the water hazard of which I was trying to lay up short, and with a 2 iron second shot to the green. 2 iron is back to my alternate tee club, no matter if my bag contains wood, steel, or titanium. :)

After limping around the front nine, managed to be only a few over par on the back, most of those strokes coming from my blowup hole.

Maybe 2016 is the year I go back to the wood full time again. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='dbuck47' timestamp='1448406064' post='12642338']
Scooter, I have never been able to successfully mix a modern driver and vintage irons. Well maybe one exception-I have some Cleveland blades with S400's in them that when I am swinging well and hard (for me) work ok. When I put that toaster in my hands I am thinking "kill" and it throws my rhythm (what there is) off.

How do you guys handle the moist weather with woods? I am thinking I will get out the Boom Boom for the winter, along with a newly aquired 19* Taylor Raylor (ca. 1990). The Boom Boom was Freddie's transition club, and it compares favorably in size to persimmon.
[/quote]

Hey Bucky,

I think the thing is to compartmentalize the driver as an aberration, and just remember to not allow it to impact/infect the other clubs in my bag. This may be why playing wood, or the 975 gives a round a more holistic feel versus caveman swinging with the melon. That being said, keeping wood in the mix does change the toaster swing, as I have found myself more concerned with contact versus speed, and do swing much more controlled with it than I used to.

Plus, finding a heavier head/shaft combo also helps slow down the swing.

My recommendation for wood is to use knit covers instead of hoods when it's damp, as the knits allow the heads to breathe and dry out. Locking them up in a damp vinyl-clad hood isn't good for the wood. And of course, giving them even a light refurbish when the finish gets damaged is important.

This being stated, most bad old woods I've seen have shrunk from dryness versus swollen from dampness.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

^^^ And also widely available, and usually at a good price.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Two rounds on Sunday - 1st a cold *(for California) 23 degrees at Indian Valley. Finally started to drive the ball well again, at least a few times. A couple nice putts, but otherwise not much to be excited about. Played in a foursome. Really nice folks, but hearing a person shout encouraging words like, 'Make that putt!' jus before my backswing doesn't help me much.

Second round was at San Geronimo. I usually play both of these since [s]there[/s] they're (can't believe I misspelled that!) close to each other, but far from me. Again, better drives. Unfortunately one really fantastic contact, rhythm, launch, etc., over a blind set of tall trees went right where I wanted it, but I wanted the wrong spot and lost the ball...

Finally hit my 2 iron well again, too.

I think I'd forgotten just about everything with the swing except firing the hands. Was playing a more fluid swing and much more follow-through and that seemed to be what I'd been missing for the last several months.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey ladies and gents.

Going out tomorrow for a round. Start the year off properly. Penna TP2 driver, Cleveland TC 15 3 wood, Wilson tour blade ace. Mac VIP limited 2-11, cobra wedge, custom Lajosi mini putter.

Just turned 33, and as far as I'm concerned, this is golf. The other thing is just pretend. Especially because the course I'm playing was built 50 years ago. What's the point of the hazards being out of play? What's the point of cutting the corner? I score what I score, and it's ok. The fun is in the doing, not the gloating.

Plus, I get to buy new clubs for less than what I carry in cash. And I have zero remorse if they're terrible.

Anyway, enjoy 2016. Hope you all achieve your goals. Hopefully they're all related to having more fun, not to an arbitrary number.

- Gus.