2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Well, If you've followed any of my other posts on different threads you know that I've now sold my modern clubs and I'm solely playing Classic/Vintage.

The favorite set is still the 85 Mizzy Cimarron blades with the Titleist 975D Driver and 980F Fairways with TT DG shafts. That is the set I have played my last 8 rounds with. Here's the discovery... I can hit my 3 iron almost as far as either of my fairway woods but with much greater control. I've had to laugh at myself because since this discovery I think I've hit 2 shots with my fairways over the last 2 rounds.

On a side note I picked up a Ram Wizard putter that I'm itching to try. Maybe today! :D

Or... maybe the Otey Crisman KLIK 3 I just finished working on.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Played my first competitive round of the year at the weekend. Modern driver, classic Titleist metal 4 wood and a set of redlines.

Curiosity got the better of me and I stuck a 3H in the bag alongside of the 2 and 3 irons at the long end of the iron set. I like the 2 iron as a safety first tee shot, but reckoned I might be able to use the hybrid to good effect out of sketchy fairway lies, given that the course is still recovering from winter.

I ended up hitting the hybrid 3 times - I found the green on a par 3, but the 2 other shots I hit were by far the worst full shots ( I am drawing a discreet curtain around my wedge play) of the round. On the other hand, I hit the equivalent long irons 3 times and found the green or fringe each time.

I know there's a confirmation bias at play here - but this is still one of my hobby horse topics. I know from hitting them on the range that the hybrid flies WAY higher and lands correspondingly softer than the irons. But in almost all situations I encounter on the course, I can live with a lower flight and a bit of runout. Once you accept that, my feeling is that the long irons in a well matched set are in some ways EASIER than hybrid replacements. They're shorter, better matched in terms of weight, balance and flex to the clubs that you're swinging for the rest of the round, their straight leading edge is easier to align and they're all around just more familiar. I'd also say they're much less likely to hook on you, and more adjustable should the need arise

Played terribly, gave up counting score last night (and no hard feelings about it). Didn't even get a scorecard anyway since the shop pro was closing up when I arrived at Lincoln Park in light rain, around 5:30pm.

He said, go ahead.

Took a half-set of Hogan PC for the rubber grips (not leather), and because they are training clubs for me. Accidentally had the 4 iron in there, but didn't even notice it until probably the 16th hole...

Man I was hitting really bad shots - especially drives with the Nicklaus 2 wood. Shanks! Can't figure it out. Probably just need to stretch more or something like that.

Anyway, I did hit a few shots I'm very happy with - the elusive moment when all the things I'm learning line up in spite of my over-thinking or whatever. Love watching the ball go. Especially walking up a hill to a blind green and seeing my ball on it.

Part of the issue (here come the excuses lol) was that I don't think anyone has mowed the grass in weeks, due to El Nino. So no matter what I was in the rough. Lost a LOT of balls in that deep stuff with the white clover flowers everywhere. Darkness didn't help.

But I was all alone. Totally. Usually there are even pedestrians strolling across the fairway looking at birds or the Golden Gate Bridge, but not in that crappy weather in Civil Twilight. Just me and a few worms.

I was bummed that Daylight Savings changes took away my pre-work golf, but now I remember how feasible it is to get a full round in after Super Twilight starts.

Yay for summer!

Got a phone call from my clubhouse manager yesterday to confirm that I would be working again this season. She also mentioned that there was a "soft" open of the course today, March 30.

A clear day with highs forecast for the mid 50's and nothing close to that in the long range, so today was going to be the day for the first round of the year. I even get to say that I got a round in, in March no less! What to take with no practice of any kind; moderns or vintage? The carry bag happened to be the first one in the closet, so that's what I took with my Precision II BeCu irons, a couple of War bird woods, the Tom Watson sand wedge and Zebra putter. Call it a bag of "classic" game improvement clubs with a half dozen random Titleist balls from my shag bag.

The first hole was a comedy of errors: Skyed tee shot; shanked wood from the rough into some casual water; beautiful 6 iron; sculled pitch; chip and a two putt for a 7!

I improved from there with a par on the second following a smooth 5 iron off the tee. Third hole saw a useful tee shot to the right edge of the fairway followed up by a PW to 8 feet and a birdie putt made for a 3. I continued to have a very workman like round with pars or bogies until the 9th where I took a 5 on a long par 3. I ended up carding a +8 first time out with thirty year old clubs no less!

I hit the irons beautifully, pitched and chipped well and made all my putts. The long game was pretty sad, but at least the shots were usable. I didn't get any kind of elevation with the woods, so I must have been hitting down on them rather than through the ball, but for first efforts, I am more than happy to take it! The Ram Tom Watson Scoring System 855 wedge is a keeper -- lots of weight and a great sole grind made it very versatile from all kinds of lies; worked great without any sort of adjustment period.

Nine holes is about all I'm good for at this time. No issues with my shoulders or elbows, but my low back was really starting to bark 'round about the sixth hole. We'll see if this is a recurring theme as the season progresses. All-in-all a very enjoyable walk unspoilt. :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Good show there buddy! Kept reading where you we're going to wait until latter in April. Kinda of wondering what you were waiting for. We've had several nice golf days around here that were taken advantage of. Never worry to much about score in this early stages of the season. Barely any grass growing, greens still in their winter shagginess. Usually just about getting reacquainted with one's golf swing. And getting the lower back muscles into golf shape.

And I share your sentiment towards the TW wedges. Fine ones they are. Last weekend, played the 50* and 56* during my "12 hole" round. Had been awhile. Forgot how nice they play. As you say, a very agreeable weight and feel to them.

But the forecast is for the weather to fully go in the crapper for the next 10 days. Should of got some licks in today.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

One hour,eight clubs, nine holes, not another soul out there.

I am playing tomorrow morning at 07h30 ... first tee time of the day so going to play fast and see how many holes I can get in before work (09h00).

It will be the "Spring Froiics" set in play .... in other words the UK debut for my Cleveland VAS irons .... will report back afterwards ! How exciting ... LOL

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Concur. Full reportage of the "Spring Fling" when you can BJ. Pics would be nice. But showing the VAS irons at a range less than 50 meters is not necessary. TIA.

Here's a toast for good fortune. May the Cleveland's become the best irons you've ever played, providing you with score that will be the envy of your playing associates. Thereby and forthwith, compelling you to make them your front line "gamers" for the remainder of your golfing days.

Oh dear oh dear .... I actually played pretty well with these damn eyesore clubs !!!

To be fair to them, they actually look better in the address position than a Ping Eye-2. Feel is about the same. Not a patch on a forged blade, but solid, if a little dead.

I played 9-holes this morning in the frost (below zero centigrade when I started and up to 3 degrees when I finished), and hit every club in the bag at least once. Hit the 2-iron off the deck and striped it, and the 1-iron off one tee and striped that one too. Hit 5 GIR with various approach shots, had one up and down, courtesy of the D-wedge. Hit the 4-iron to 12 feet for the birdie on the same uphill par-3 that I missed my birdie putt on last night (see the hickory thread).

Finished with an outward half of 38, +3, which is about 3 shots better than "usual", even with a three-putt on the 3rd.

Bogey, Bogey, Bogey, Bogey, Par, Par, Par, Birdie, Par

My VAS iron purchase included a 10 degree VAS driver and also a 3-wood, so I had those in the bag as well. Didn't miss a fairway with the driver! Good distance as well. Low trajectory and good run out even in soggy conditions.

In general, I was hitting everything left all round, but allowed for it after realising it wasn't going away, and so scoring improved :)

As an initial experiment I'd have to give it a thumbs up (SORRY - LOL) and I would definitely have no problem in playing this set in Competition.

" VAS-tastic" is the new word for today ...

Disclaimer: Not a single April Fool in this post ! Not one !!! It's all genuine ... the VAS clubs are pretty good :)

Here's an early morning pic on the 1st hole:

Not a soul on the course apart from me and the greenkeepers !

One hour,eight clubs, nine holes, not another soul out there.

I am playing tomorrow morning at 07h30 ... first tee time of the day so going to play fast and see how many holes I can get in before work (09h00).

It will be the "Spring Froiics" set in play .... in other words the UK debut for my Cleveland VAS irons .... will report back afterwards ! How exciting ... LOL

Cleveland vas....brilliant! Where abouts in the UK are you??

Oh dear oh dear .... I actually played pretty well with these damn eyesore clubs !!!

To be fair to them, they actually look better in the address position than a Ping Eye-2. Feel is about the same. Not a patch on a forged blade, but solid, if a little dead.

I played 9-holes this morning in the frost (below zero centigrade when I started - 3 degrees when I finished), and hit every club in the bag at least once. Hit the 2-iron off the deck and striped it, and the 1-iron off one tee and striped that one too. Hit 5 GIR with various approach shots, had one up and down, courtesy of the D-wedge. Hit the 4-iron to 12 feet for the birdie on the same uphill par-3 that I missed my birdie putt on last night (see the hickory thread).

Finished with an outward half of 38, +3, which is about 3 shots better than "usual", even with a three-putt on the 3rd.

Bogey, Bogey, Bogey, Bogey, Par, Par, Par, Birdie, Par

My VAS iron purchase included a 10 degree VAS driver and also a 3-wood, so I had those in the bag as well. Didn't miss a fairway with the driver! Good distance as well. Low trajectory and good run out even in soggy conditions.

In general, I was hitting everything left all round, but allowed for it after realising it wasn't going away, and so scoring improved :)

As an initial experiment I'd have to give it a thumbs up (SORRY - LOL) and I would definitely have no problem in playing this set in Competition.

Disclaimer: Not a single April Fool in this post ! Not one !!! It's all genuine ... the VAS clubs are pretty good :)

Here's an early morning pic on the 1st hole:

Not a soul on the course apart from me and the greenkeepers.

I loved the vas iron but never had the pleasure.....Yep it was cold this morning, sadly I was working!

I loved the vas iron but never had the pleasure.....Yep it was cold this morning, sadly I was working!

I'm down in Chichester, West Sussex - play my golf at Goodwood.

We'll have to sort out a bash at some point. There's enough of us UK classic types to make up a decent 4-ball !

I'll bring the VAS for you to try LOL

Brilliant indeed!

Two thumbs up!

BZ!

I can't help myself, but I'm drawn to their quirky beauty!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I'm down in Chichester, West Sussex - play my golf at Goodwood.

We'll have to sort out a bash at some point. There's enough of us UK classic types to make up a decent 4-ball !

I'll bring the VAS for you to try LOL

Brilliant!

Well I gave them a go in the Club Stableford yesterday and hacked my way round to 30 points, placing 25th out of 50. 3 pars, 12 bogeys, 2 doubles and a triple. Did have a 5 footer on the 18th to break 90, but a few nice 'winter green' bobbles scuppered that one :)

Probably the worst I've played all winter, in terms of ball-striking, can't really blame the clubs for that. My swing and timing was slightly off on the driver, which with the small head ended up costing me alot of distance, and hence put pressure on every other part of my game.

Still, it was amusing that the VAS did beat half the field, and there was some good banter in the bar afterwards as a result.

After a few beers, the fact that they play quite well, but look so bad, led to the analogy of the VAS clubs as "the fat ugly girl who's good in bed" :)

Yeah....but. Did you speak of this in their presence? Either one. Dangerous karma B-J.

John Barleycorn always has way of making things look better. At least it did for me anyhow. A long time ago.

We need music in celebration of your 25th place finish:

Still, it was amusing that the VAS did beat half the field, and there was some good banter in the bar afterwards as a result.

After a few beers, the fact that they play quite well, but look so bad, led to the analogy of the VAS clubs as "the fat ugly girl who's good in bed" :)

Well, perhaps that explains a few things as I have always preferred the ladies with more ample assets, so this is not a negative for me, but something to be "embraced". But enough of this disparaging commentary; I'm looking out my window at another bloody spring snow storm! WTF is this? It felt more like golf weather six weeks ago than it does now! They say we might get back to above freezing temperatures come the weekend...

:huh:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa