2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Well done Geoff, that does take some doing, the committee will be looking for an excuse to ban persimmon next Lol!

Did you use hickory in any of them?

No - only played hickory once vs modern players this year, in a Saturday roll up about 3 weeks ago.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Well done Geoff, that does take some doing, the committee will be looking for an excuse to ban persimmon next Lol!

No - only played hickory once vs modern players this year, in a Saturday roll up about 3 weeks ago.

Take the money?

I am just starting to play again after a one year layoff for back troubles.

I have two dozen sets of clubs from the 50's through 80's, all blades

and persimmon. Settled on five clubs for each round, trying out each different set.

I'm using a rotation scheme of 6/6/6 holes or 3/3/3 for nine hole round.

Use the five clubs from three different sets for each group of holes.

Try front, middle, back tees for each group. Also trying different swing and putting styles for

each group. The scores are tending to be the same, no matter what I vary.

Just hit my 67th birthday and having the time of my life.

Now if I can just get in shape to walk the entire course....then find some hickories....then find some

left-handed clubs.....then walk multiple rounds in one day....the joys are endless.

Take the money? ��

HA !

Beat half of them but lost my £2 :)

Used a zebra the other day,great putter! Congrats

Thanks Tim :)

Bravo. Actually, Bravo just for going in to bat with real lumber throughout the season. Winning is a nice bonus though.

What h/c cut for the guy who beats his mates over a season wielding antiques? Those sayers are bloody nice too!

Indeed! You're an inspiration to the rest of us to bag the lumber for more than just pleasure rounds. :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Played 2 1/2 rounds in Kauai a couple weeks ago.

Best feeling - 2 wood off an elevated tee downwind, downhill on dry hard-packed bermuda grass for one of my longer drives. Followed that with a 2 iron that stayed in the air until just over the top of the short rise so it would roll down the other side.

Couldn't believe how close to the green I was on that par 5 in two shots.

Another fun hole was a very elevated tee hitting right at the ocean on the windward side of the island. Short par 3, and I clubbed WAY down and shot it almost bee line to the left fringe between the traps and it rolled a bit right within reasonable par distance.

Final day was no good at all. Just couldn't concentrate. Had a partner and a cart, which is really rare for me. Still was a beautiful course, and on the last hole I hit probably my best drive of the summer.

The September medal was played at Morecambe yesterday. The whole previous week was given over to the greenstaff for 'course maintenance', ....you know , the bit where they hollow tine (big bore) the greens, scarify the surface and then what they laughingly call 'top dress' with 50 tons of sand. Much anguished gnashing of teeth and wailing, but not from your correspondent, who got it around in 80 blows and had his handicap cut to 12.

Clubs were vintage apart from the Srixon XX10 driver from 2005. In addition to the set previously posted at the Furness outing I was able to field a 'Patent applied for' Sandy Andy, kindly given to me the previous day along with an early Harmonized Pitching Wedge (which hasn't made the line up yet)

The Wilson Controlled Feel Napa putter was only used 30 times, a minor miracle given the greens!

Best feeling - 2 wood off an elevated tee downwind, downhill on dry hard-packed bermuda grass for one of my longer drives. Followed that with a 2 iron that stayed in the air until just over the top of the short rise so it would roll down the other side.

Couldn't believe how close to the green I was on that par 5 in two shots.

Another fun hole was a very elevated tee hitting right at the ocean on the windward side of the island. Short par 3, and I clubbed WAY down and shot it almost bee line to the left fringe between the traps and it rolled a bit right within reasonable par distance.

Final day was no good at all. Just couldn't concentrate. Had a partner and a cart, which is really rare for me. Still was a beautiful course, and on the last hole I hit probably my best drive of the summer.

Looking good, I'm really jealous of the Sun! I'm not going to see it for a while now

Kudos to the golf, and double kudos to those strides ... haute couture from the same time capsule as your equipment ... love it :)

Like the breeks, dunno about the hat though, looks more beach boys than tam o' shanter :)

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Had a fun 9 holes last night with the 53' top flight irons and Mac Woods. Hitting the irons well, but the woods aren't where they need to be yet.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Do use modern metals in the fall, mainly to hit lower trajectory shots when there is wind.

Interesting ! Most metal woods and hybrids just balloon for me ... for a lower trajectory I like to go with a nice solid lump of wood :)

Well, went out with the true classic bag for the first time last week, playing my sig bag (with the exception of a Radial E in for the other E I had) at my "home" course, and I left out the "modern" 60*.

Not a bad round, +4 for 9, actually one of my better rounds for the year. Lack of distance due to persimmon off the tee was my greatest issue on the day, but I still managed to hit 3 GIR, and got up and down in two twice more. Should have been up and down in two on two other holes, but the putter was a little itchy. Last two holes were bogies, which was gross, especially considering I pulled a 4' putt on 9.

But, it was a beautiful fall day, and I'm looking forward to going for another 9 tonight before the snow returns.

Hope everyone has had a good summer. And great performance, Geoff.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I really want to try this if only there was a garage sale or something in my area where I coul pick some old clubs up at for cheap.... gotten wear knickers when going old fashion too.

Welcome TBC to our little corner of golfdom. Hang around these environs for awhile and you'll discover a never ending plethora of classic/vintage golf clubs that will tempt your interest. Garage sales are but one venue to find these clubs. Occasionally successful, but not what I would call my prime hunting grounds. But I continue to poke around at them for the odd putter or wedge mostly. If you are interested in finding something, you need to cast a wide net. I've had particularly good success at thrift stores. Others not so much, guess it depends on the demographics of the area. I've found a number of high quality clubs at thrifts for pennies on the dollar. Some I've kept and played, others I've turned around and sold for future financing. But being that you're from the midwest, you may soon find the clubs disappearing from the racks. Here in Michigan, its already happening. Being replaced with winter sports merchandise. Soon to be entering the dark period for my club scrounging ways. I've had success at estate sales, Craigslist, and even eBay with some due diligence to what's being sold.

Anything in particular that you may be looking for? What's your general knowledge about golf clubs? May help to visit the "No New Acquisitions?" thread to get a feel for what others are finding. When I stumbled into the word of classic clubs several years ago, I found that learning the lingo of old(er) clubs was extremely helpful. Being able to recognize quality from the junk. A laminate vs. persimmon wood. And I asked lots of questions in this section of WRX. There are many very knowledgeable folks that willing offer their assistance and expertise. Helped me immensely with my understanding of things.

There are no hard and fast definitions of what constitutes classic/vintage clubs around here. Have had some debate on what it may be, with limited at best success. Some play hickory only (that's vintage), persimmon woods, classic MacGregor irons to Ping Eye 2's. Putters and wedges of every form and fashion. Even older classic metals (see the on-going best drivers of the 90's thread). Or like many of us, a sorta hodgepodge of things old and new. Whatever you find that brings pleasure and fascination to the game is good. I find the hunt for classic/vintage clubs, the restoration process, as enjoyable as the playing. Maybe even more so given the quality, or lack thereof, of my golf game. But that's not really the point of the exercise.

But a word of warning, and you can bank on this. Once you venture down the classic club path, you will not be able to stop at one set. They will proliferate like rabbits. Because there is always something else just waiting to be found. All that is required is to look.

But with all the scrounging that I've done hither and yon, the one thing I've yet to find were a pair of knickers. (Plus four's or is it plus two's depending?). I would like to sport a pair to the course just once in my life. Under the right circumstances. Probably not on league night.

Check back in TBC, let us know how we can be of assistance. Good luck.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Do use modern metals in the fall, mainly to hit lower trajectory shots when there is wind.

Interesting ! Most metal woods and hybrids just balloon for me ... for a lower trajectory I like to go with a nice solid lump of wood :)

I agree for the most part, especially hybrids that is why I don't use them at all. The woods I use are have 12* loft and more. I have a flat compact swing (think Doug Sanders) and the metals 9* & 15* give me a nice med penetrating trajectory. I think the shaft makes a diff also, so experimenting with shafts help. Either way it's fall golf and loving it.

I don't have the ballooning issue, but I *do* also hit metal woods higher than the lumber, generally speaking. When I used the Zing Blondes for a few rounds earlier, I was hitting low bullets off the tee with the driver.

Granted, I didn't tee them terribly high. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Played my first "classic clubs only" round since about 1994 on Sunday. I started playing early 90s with some hand-me-down bladed RAMs and laminated woods of some sorts, not the ideal starters, but of course we didn't know any better... I do remember my reaction to the metal woods coming out at that time, "surely you can't hit those, they are too big to swing properly". Eventually I did swap to modern gear, the difference was pretty substantial for someone like me playing off 20 with a tendency for slices.

Anyway, over the last couple of years as the downward handicap trend has plateaued, rather than practicing more (boring) I've wanted to try playing old stuff again to kind of re-awaken the spark. Hickory would be fun, but it's a rather large investment to acquire playable refinished clubs, so the older clubs that you can still find here and there in thrift shops and flea markets was an easier option (and more fun, I like bargain hunting!). Unfortunately most of the stuff you find here in Sweden is odd clubs, sets are a rare thing, but I guess that's not so strange seeing as we only had about 50 golf clubs in the country up until the mid 60s.

The set I played on Sunday was a laminated Titleist 3 wood (1975 or so) I refinished this summer and a set of '79 MacGregor Tourneys. I've done some practice on the range with the clubs, and after you've figured out how to swing they really do work quite well. The Titleist I can get out to about 200 m with a high sweeping draw, I love the shape of those shots, I certainly can't do that with a modern club. The irons play about two clubs shorter than my modern gear, but since I have a 3 and 4 iron in the set that still works pretty good. Best shots of the day were a number of drives I got past the fairway bunkers in the landing areas (downwind and dry conditions help), an arrow straight long 3 iron from tee on a short par 4 and 4 iron from about 150 m into a crosswind to 2 m for an easy birdie at the last. I think it added up to 26 stableford point over the 16 holes we played (skipping over two turtling 4balls), 12 over par-ish, despite having 5 or 6 three putts.

I'll certainly be doing more of this!

Second round, same setup as last time, 9 irons and a 3 wood. I shot my handicap! Ended up with an 83 that included a ridiculous quadrupel on one of the easier holes. If someone had told me last year that you can shoot your handicap with all clubs from the 70s I would not have believed them, but with better putting today (longest holed putt was 1.5m), I could have scored even better.

High-lights today was GIR on the longest par4 (Index 1 400m dog-leg, second into wind) in two after drive and 3 iron, putting a drive out to 230m and five straight GIR from hole 3 through 7.

Love this game :-)