Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Fabulous lunchtime round today at a lovely little 9-hole course at the base of the Lake District, Grange Fell GC ... 2700 yards Par 35, 25mph winds, no rain !

Grange Fell is up on the hills above Grange-over-Sands, overlooking the village of Cartmel, famous for it's Priory dating back to the 12th century, and also for a great recipe for Sticky Toffee pudding, and a micro brewery !

Here's a few pics - absolutely OUTSTANDING views, and the course, while short, has small tricky greens and was alot of fun to play, If you told me this was the only course I was allowed to play from now on, I'd be more than OK with that :)...

All this for the princely sum of £10, to seal in an envelope and post through the secretary's letter box. Apart from a 4-ball about 3 holes ahead, there was literally no-one else at the Club!

Hoping to play with Stixman at Morecambe GC on Friday - watch this space !

I need to get over there.

Stix, found a Turfrider 1 iron also!!

I have a set with stiff shafts - no 1 iron. Would like one depending on the shaft and grip.

Took out the Wilson Staff / MacGregor combo today (see post #24 http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1122839-wilson-dyna-powered-original-grips/#entry).

I swear I feel like these old clubs teach me more about the golf swing than my modern clubs. In order to hit a good shot with them, I have to put a smooth swing on them and hit them right in the center of the clubface. When I do, I'm rewarded with a feel that's unmatched by my SGI's. I had several good iron shots, a few really nice drives, and three 5 wood shots that were nothing short of amazing in terms of feel, height, distance, and the way the ball just floated to the green and stopped within a few feet of where it landed.

Tonight's bag was a set of Cleveland Byron Nelson 68.3 irons 1-SW with S400 shafts and a Cleveland Designed by and a wonderful Cleveland Dunaway 4 wood.

Great feelings clubs, love the shafts,

Tim-

Am sure you keep that Designed By Cleveland in the top half of that bag, not to be smacked every so often by those 68.3s...

Always liked the Dunaway design insert.

Tonight's bag was a set of Cleveland Byron Nelson 68.3 irons 1-SW with S400 shafts and a Cleveland Designed by and a wonderful Cleveland Dunaway 4 wood.

The irons and woods may change, but it appears that the one constant in your kit is an 8802/George Lowe 600 putter, Tim.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The irons and woods may change, but it appears that the one constant in your kit is an 8802/George Lowe 600 putter, Tim.

Speaking of Geo Low 600, one sold for 5k last week

Was it one of yours? ;)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The heavily "patina'd" Bristol?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Tim-

Am sure you keep that Designed By Cleveland in the top half of that bag, not to be smacked every so often by those 68.3s...

Congratulations must be in order Rex being elected Putter headcover police .or where you must put putter in bag police for WRX. If this true I might be in trouble with the police again as headcovers for old putters is wrong as far as I 'm concerned and I dont recall seeing Hogan,Nicklaus Penna ,Palmer,Nelson etc ever having a putter headcover in their bag.

It wasn't until the Camerons etc at 500.00 or more a putter started that I started seeing them

Then again ,I have been wrong before as far as police go, so if you must write me a ticket, I'll just throw it with the rest of them I've ignored

The heavily "patina'd" Bristol?

This one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRISTOL-GEO-LOW-WIZZARD-600-PUTTER-ALL-ORIGINAL-35-25-VERY-RARE-MODEL-/391623301282?hash=item5b2e9158a2:g:KfAAAOSwKOJYKhv2

Randy, I'd take 28* and a bit frosty right about now. Forecast for today, 8" of snow. What little hope I had of "one more round" is dashed. So all Rounds with a Vintage Bag will have to consist of memories of the season past and anticipation for the next.

Speaking of "Designed by" Cleveland putters, found one a few weeks back. Thrifted on the cheap, nice shape. Except for the grip, that was totally shot. Needed to have an extension installed to get it to my preferred length. Was reluctant to just install a regular putter grip (typically Pingman), feeling that it needed a leather grip like the original. But didn't have a spare Neumann laying around (they are perhaps destined for another project).

Contemplating my options, realized that an old Mac iron had a leather that just may work. Carefully and with a little heat assistance was able to unwind the Mac grip. Cleaned it up, a couple of Lexol treatments. And installed it on the Cleveland. Came out surprisingly good. I'm beginning to have a "thing" for leather grips on my old putters. Don't make any more putts with them so attired, but sure feel nice while missing. Maybe the only Cleveland putter in captivity with a 50+ year old Mac leather grip installed. Other than T....he probably has one.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Tim-

Congratulations must be in order Rex being elected Putter headcover police .or where you must put putter in bag police for WRX. If this true I might be in trouble with the police again as headcovers for old putters is wrong as far as I 'm concerned and I dont recall seeing Hogan,Nicklaus Penna ,Palmer,Nelson etc ever having a putter headcover in their bag.

It wasn't until the Camerons etc at 500.00 or more a putter started that I started seeing them

Then again ,I have been wrong before as far as police go, so if you must write me a ticket, I'll just throw it with the rest of them I've ignored

I will add one to the putter head cover thing. I absolutely will not game a putter I have to use a cover on but most of my beloved putters have rust, patina and bag dings all over them. They seem to putt better for me like that. Speaking of putters I found a great looking TP Mills Spalding #3 on the pile Friday. I have always liked those putters and wanted a #3 for a while. It did clean up nicely. Got to get the phone straightened out to get pics. It may kick the rusty Cameron out of the front line bag we will see but when I test it and get it weighted up for me it will definetely see vintage play

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Randy, I'd take 28* and a bit frosty right about now. Forecast for today, 8" of snow. What little hope I had of "one more round" is dashed. So all Rounds with a Vintage Bag will have to consist of memories of the season past and anticipation for the next.

Speaking of "Designed by" Cleveland putters, found one a few weeks back. Thrifted on the cheap, nice shape. Except for the grip, that was totally shot. Needed to have an extension installed to get it to my preferred length. Was reluctant to just install a regular putter grip (typically Pingman), feeling that it needed a leather grip like the original. But didn't have a spare Neumann laying around (they are perhaps destined for another project).

Contemplating my options, realized that an old Mac iron had a leather that just may work. Carefully and with a little heat assistance was able to unwind the Mac grip. Cleaned it up, a couple of Lexol treatments. And installed it on the Cleveland. Came out surprisingly good. I'm beginning to have a "thing" for leather grips on my old putters. Don't make any more putts with them so attired, but sure feel nice while missing. Maybe the only Cleveland putter in captivity with a 50+ year old Mac leather grip installed. Other than T....he probably has one.

I have that same putter have had it for 20 years or more. I have my standard Royal Crown Cord grip on it. Man you have some talent to reuse those old leather grips. Tell me how do you do the underlisting? I also like the golf bag that is classy in itself

TYVM Stu. Coming from a tinkerer supreme, that means a lot. Was a "nothing ventured, nothing gained" proposition. After wrapping the Zing 2 that you saw a pic of, figured if I could get the Mac wrap off in one piece, could get it back on. Been practicing some. And the length was right.

This underlisting was easy. It was already a putter style. Removing was easier than removing a grip once unwrapped. But sure you already know this. The Zing took some thought as it was round. If you remember, that was the one that I used a dull hacksaw blade as the flat. Taped into position before wrapping the leather over it. Only one slight "goof" that nobody notices. But me.

Lately, have become somewhat compulsive with these old style leather wrap grips. Had a few Neumann's already installed on some acquired stuff. Never could figure exactly how to manipulate them from one club to another. Then sorta just figured it out. And became inspired by watching an AP video. He was in his "shop", just standing there talking into the camera, as he wrapped a grip. Barely paying attention. Of course, he's probably done thousands. Was inspiration to give it a go.

Sure wish someone still made DIY wrapped grips. Neumann's, Lamkin's. If any show up on eBay, they're ridiculously expensive. So have to resort to scrounging to dig them up. But if one can find them, they're usually in decent shape. Example being the old Mac leather that was switched over. Just one more club tinkering thing to do in my spare time.

The bag is a thrifted Diawa Coach bag. Pretty sweet. The "cordura" fabric is Spartan green. LOL. Love the look of these "old school" golf bags. Plus they typically have 6-way tops, that I've grown to re-appreciate instead of the single slots. Always on the lookout for one more Burton, Hot-Z, etc. bag found on the cheap.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Something we don't experience much around here. Was 28 degrees when we arrived for a local Saturday morning blitz.

Yep it was showing 21* on my porch thermometer yesterday morning and 20 this morning now as I type. My course was on a delay until around 10:00 or so. I was not playing anyhow because i had a church program to run last night directing traffic at our annual live Nativity Scene. I wanted to save my ankles which swollen bad last year. Last night I had no issues whatsoever I think mainly due to my meds. Doing the same thing tonight and pulling my regular sound board thing this morning

TYVM Stu. Coming from a tinkerer supreme, that means a lot. Was a "nothing ventured, nothing gained" proposition. After wrapping the Zing 2 that you saw a pic of, figured if I could get the Mac wrap off in one piece, could get it back on. Been practicing some. And the length was right.

This underlisting was easy. It was already a putter style. Removing was easier than removing a grip once unwrapped. But sure you already know this. The Zing took some thought as it was round. If you remember, that was the one that I used a dull hacksaw blade as the flat. Taped into position before wrapping the leather over it. Only one slight "goof" that nobody notices. But me.

Lately, have become somewhat compulsive with these old style leather wrap grips. Had a few Neumann's already installed on some acquired stuff. Never could figure exactly how to manipulate them from one club to another. Then sorta just figured it out. And became inspired by watching an AP video. He was in his "shop", just standing there talking into the camera, as he wrapped a grip. Barely paying attention. Of course, he's probably done thousands. Was inspiration to give it a go.

Sure wish someone still made DIY wrapped grips. Neumann's, Lamkin's. If any show up on eBay, they're ridiculously expensive. So have to resort to scrounging to dig them up. But if one can find them, they're usually in decent shape. Example being the old Mac leather that was switched over. Just one more club tinkering thing to do in my spare time.

The bag is a thrifted Diawa Coach bag. Pretty sweet. The "cordura" fabric is Spartan green. LOL. Love the look of these "old school" golf bags. Plus they typically have 6-way tops, that I've grown to re-appreciate instead of the single slots. Always on the lookout for one more Burton, Hot-Z, etc. bag found on the cheap.

Yeah I hate a 14 slot bag . I prefer the old 3 way divider but have learned to tolerate a 6 way bag. I used to take the middle divider out of a 6 way but quit doing that. My stand bag that I won last year has what I call a 5 way in it. Funny thing I only used that bag 1 or 2 rounds and used it on the range but got where I like it over the Titleist Mini Staff bag. The Titleist bag draws a lot of attention anyhow and I have sorta migrated away from it lately since I started hitting those "New" Cally irons. I have found no one pays any attention to an non-descript run of the mill stand bag. This is one of my quirky things. People would look in the Titleist bag and see the rusty battered Macs and kinda shrug and walk away. With the newer Cally irons they kinda check it out closer. I do not like that sorta screams steal me or poser. So I went to the stand bag which is not flashy and sorta fits in. It is new but 2 generations older TEE. Green and white in Seattle Seahawks colors as Scotee over in the Grille section put it. It also has the grab handle and that works well getting it in and out of the house and in the truck. Right now I have the VIPs that Mitchell sent me in it along with another couple of rusty 588s in it. I also have my Nike Vapor Pro driver and "Ugly Duckling" Adams 5 wood in it along with a Ping Y blade putter. Even though the iron shafts are stiff I can game that set up like it is if I need to. I may switch back because that is one of my quirks I do switch bags themselves when I get the notion. I have about 10 different bags including 4 staff bags and another stand bag. I also have 2 different Ryder Cup reproduction Miller Staff bags. I guess I am a bag ho too

Count me as another of those that find the 14 way divider to be a pox thrust upon the golfing population. It you use oversize grips of pretty much any kind they can be a real pain in the arse to get out! SuperStrokes -- forget it if you don't have a putter well. Even a midsized GP VDR barely fits and don't even think of trying to pull it out on a bit of an angle!

I know exactly what you mean STU when having the feeling that with a fancy bag and a newer set of irons it almost screams poser! I never really thought about it until I got interested in vintage clubs and have come to prefer that well worn look, particularly with irons and wedges. I'm also coming around to appreciating not having to fuss with a putter cover even though I'm inclined to leave one on (if I have one) during transit. Hard to believe I once bought an aftermarket putter cover to "spruce up" my bag... Sad!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Count me as another of those that find the 14 way divider to be a pox thrust upon the golfing population. It you use oversize grips of pretty much any kind they can be a real pain in the arse to get out! SuperStrokes -- forget it if you don't have a putter well. Even a midsized GP VDR barely fits and don't even think of trying to pull it out on a bit of an angle!

I know exactly what you mean STU when having the feeling that with a fancy bag and a newer set of irons it almost screams poser! I never really thought about it until I got interested in vintage clubs and have come to prefer that well worn look, particularly with irons and wedges. I'm also coming around to appreciating not having to fuss with a putter cover even though I'm inclined to leave one on (if I have one) during transit. Hard to believe I once bought an aftermarket putter cover to "spruce up" my bag... Sad!

I guess you saw a previous post about my buddy and his episode with the Superstroke Grip and the 14 way bag. I ended up having to press my Titleist bag back into service for now. The TEE bag I have less than a year and it has only been carried to the range and on a cart. The strap where it is sewed to the bag has came loose and darn near off. I am going to contact them about it and see if they do not warranty it I will Redneck Engineer fix it. Yep they do not make stuff worth a crap any more. Of course me thinking the poser thing is stupid on my part I can still play a little bit. i was more worried about theft more than that but I do keep an eagle eye on my stuff.

I guess you saw a previous post about my buddy and his episode with the Superstroke Grip and the 14 way bag. I ended up having to press my Titleist bag back into service for now. The TEE bag I have less than a year and it has only been carried to the range and on a cart. The strap where it is sewed to the bag has came loose and darn near off. I am going to contact them about it and see if they do not warranty it I will Redneck Engineer fix it. Yep they do not make stuff worth a crap any more. Of course me thinking the poser thing is stupid on my part I can still play a little bit. i was more worried about theft more than that but I do keep an eagle eye on my stuff.

Yup. I was ROFLAO reading about your buddy's exploits with the SuperStroke grip. I've got a mid slim 1.0 on my Rife 400 mid mallet and that just fits in my TM 14 way cart bag. Mind you my other putters that have GP Tour Classic mid sized putter grips are even tighter in that bag! That's what happens when these things DON'T have a putter well. It's really a POS! I miss my old Datrek bag that I had prior and sold as a complete set with clubs.

TEE clubs have a lifetime guarantee, so I would be surprised if they don't help you out with the bag issue.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Same story , my neighbor brought over his son in laws clubs to regrip with jumbo Winn grips to put on. After I finished today with them I could not put even one in his bag because of the liner. I took the clubs over to him and explained the problem and put one club in with force, we had to hold down the bag and pull as hard as we could to get the club out. Ripped the liner all the to hell. I gave him another bag that worked

Does anyone else hate the old Winn grips as much as I do. What a mess they make of your hands and anything else they touch after they go bad. I have been selling some clubs for a guy , he brings me these clubs to sell for him that have these old Winn grips on them. The shafts are gooey, and anything they touch is. When pulling them off they destroy gloves, and get on the floor, I track the crap in the house and then have my wife after me... not a good thing

When ever I see Butch Harmon on The Winn TV ads , who I used to really like, I start venting and screaming at him, of course then the wife is after me again... Did I tell you how much I hate Winn grips??

The more newer styles of grips I try featuring revolutionary compounds and features the more I'm reminded how well I like the original Lamkin Perma Wraps and Golf Pride Tour Velvets. Sometimes simple is best!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

nothing destroys the resale value of used clubs more than the winn grip. i have a friend with a large used club biz and he is virtually unable to sell a club if its got a old winn grip. how these pos grips stay on the market is beyond me. and big stu- good call -the stealth bag attracks far less attention at the bag drop

73 hogan apex